KHS Teacher Controversy

Guest Unknown

I say this kid and his family are assholes looking to make some money and trying to get national attention.Them and everyone who agrees with teaching about evolution and nothing else in school are idiots also. All you dumb and ignorent people will be sorry when you are in front of GOD and will be held acountable for not teaching nor believing the truth that this life and world as we know it comes from one true devine entity. It will be to late to be sorry then. As the old saying goes "you reap what you sow" I will pray for you though. I pray someday all will know :)  the truth and the truth is the one and only living GOD.

Empty threats don't impress me. Your beliefs are just that - beliefs, not fact. You don't own the one and only truth so stop pretending that you do.

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Girl from California

I'm impressed with you, Matthew. Thank you for defending what our country supports (or what it should support). There should be no debate over this; the teacher crossed the line and you couldn't possibly be responsible for his actions. People blaming you are not making a strong case, especially because the teacher should have been the leader within the classroom, unsusceptible to "baits" from a student. I find this all very interesting, and I support you!

This is the only way I know of to tell you this, so here you go: Good job, you're a cool dude, and if I were around, I'd go to prom with you.

Guest Steve_C
I found this article in an upstate Ny paper where the  writer Carl Strock was making fun of Christians and as all media does ,using his paper to make HIS point and promte HIS views. Although I do not live in New Jersey I had to take the time to commend the many citizens of Kearny for standing behind the teacher . This liberally raised child is pushing things as far as he can go and needs to be put in his place. His parents  should be ashamed of him, but than as you always see it,  the apple does not roll far from the tree. We are at War and I know of many communities that were hard hit by the casualities of 9-11 in that area. To have a child refuse to stand up for the pledge of allegiance, would be unheard of years ago. You might even hear the word Treason, a word seldom used today.Christmas IS the birth of Christ ...thus the words  CHRIST mas...I am sure any additonal words the teacher spoke was to this little snot nose who probably egged him on. We can't sit back and let these type of people ruin our country. Good for you Mr. Paszkiewicz!!!! Stand your ground. Many of the silent majority are behind you. The media and liberal idiots are trying to keep what is right silenced.This is the first time I have written a letter but it won't be my last.

Pick up the remote and stop watching Fox News. Let the deprogramming begin.

You don't understand the constitution or what treason is.

If Jesus was ever born it was in July. Christians appropriated a pagan festival for their own purposes. What does a tree have to do with some baby born in a stable?

I don't expect and conservative christian zealot like yourself to actually be interested in history or the truth. You're just like Bush. Silent majority? You mean the 80% who think he's doing a lousy job in Iraq?

I see your point that even if no student wanted to object, even if the students furthered the discussion as Laclair did, what Paszkiewicz did was wrong.  I imagined if Paszkiewicz had offered students alcohol.  The responsibility lies solely with Paszkiewicz, even if a student goes along with it.  In this regard, I completely agree.

The quibble I had with Laclair was little more than a thought I was trying to resolve, not really a criticism.  I hope it wasn't taken as such.  The idea of consistency probably describes the way I was thinking on the matter, but Laclair's objection or lack thereof are completely irrelevant with regards to Paszkiewicz's behaviour.

If anything, that little hang up I had speaks to the fact that it was hard for me to position Laclair as merely a minor in a high school classroom.

No offense taken. I realized after I sent my post through that you weren't intending to be critical. Just the same, you gave me an opportunity to explain our position on a point that some have raised. I appreciate your openness to the explanation --- more accurately, I appreciate your openness.

Guest keith Brown

When I look at some of the very emtional responses to this situation, I don't know of a more classic example of "WHY" we have separation of church and state.

Religeon very emotional and personal for those of faith and some find it very hard to be practical about it. For those of faith think of it this way, would you want the state to run your church? Conversely we don't want the church to run the state.

I'm not sure it can be put in any more simple terms.

Guest an American in Texas

Val: This liberally raised child is pushing things as far as he can go and needs to be put in his place. His parents should be ashamed of him, but than as you always see it, the apple does not roll far from the tree.

Indeed. Paul and Debra must be very proud that they've raised a brave and patriotic American who will stand up to defend the Constitution.

Val: We are at War and I know of many communities that were hard hit by the casualities of 9-11 in that area. To have a child refuse to stand up for the pledge of allegiance, would be unheard of years ago. You might even hear the word Treason, a word seldom used today.

"Treason" -- a loaded word. Personally, I use it for those who trash the Constitution. Look in the mirror. I have a nephew in Iraq right now; I doubt he'd appreciate being told that the system of government he's sworn to defend has been reduced from the strongest, most participatory rule of law in the world to a meaningless pledge to a flag.

Val: Christmas IS the birth of Christ ...thus the words CHRIST mas...I am sure any additonal words the teacher spoke was to this little snot nose who probably egged him on.

Clearly you haven't listened to the class discussion, or you would never make such . . . shall we say, contrary-to-fact . . . assertions. And what does Christmas have to do with it?

Val: We can't sit back and let these type of people ruin our country. Good for you Mr. Paszkiewicz!!!! Stand your ground. Many of the silent majority are behind you. The media and liberal idiots are trying to keep what is right silenced.

Good heavens, no. Let's be sure to silence those who revere the Constitution and live in the spirit of Jefferson, Madison, and Washington. That is certainly make for a stronger America. And what in the world are you defining as "right"? Having your own personal religious convictions, whatever they may be, preached in the public arena? Or perhaps silencing dissent? What, exactly?

Val: This is the first time I have written a letter but it won't be my last.

Please do continue to post. You do so much more than I ever could to illuminate the issue.

Leigh Williams

Austin, TX

Guest The ethics of The Bible

'I will punish the Amalekites for what they did to Israel when they waylaid them as they came up from Egypt. Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy everything that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.'

-God

1 Samuel 15

also, a few verses later:

"But Saul and the army spared Agag and the best of the sheep and cattle, the fat calves and lambs—everything that was good. These they were unwilling to destroy completely, but everything that was despised and weak they totally destroyed.

Then the word of the LORD came to Samuel: "I am grieved that I have made Saul king, because he has turned away from me and has not carried out my instructions." Samuel was troubled, and he cried out to the LORD all that night."

That's saying that all the infants should be killed, as well as everything else, right? Like genocide? And God is upset because Saul didn't kill everything, as instructed, but left all the good things alive? That's not very ethical. In fact it is sadistic and completely in line with most human atrocities. I can understand why Matthew would be bothered by an authority figure advocating The Bible as something to follow.

Guest TheHeathenAngel

Premeditated entrapment!!!

How about the administration taking action against this traitor, who should be dropped in the center of Iraq, so he don't have to salute our flag, but help burn it with people like himself!!!!!

He should be suspended for having a recording device in the classroom.

There is nothing to legally prevent him from taking a recording device into the classroom. In fact, some kids are encouraged to do so. It helps with note taking and other such assists when it comes to learning.

I can, however understand your aversion to anything that may assist in the education process. You relish in your ignorance and expect that others should do the same. Sorry to disappoint.

:angry: Yes it the right, but it's wrong, I stand for evrything[sic] this country is about, you must be one of those Canada people, who instead of protecting and serving our country you decided it was "Your Right " not to be an American. The " Pledge "

as you call it, is an oath, and it is every Americans duty to stand when taking an oath of allegiance. :angry::angry::angry::angry:

So the pledge should be compulsory? If it is going to be compulsory, can we at least take it back to the original way it was written? Without mention of a deity? Or.. are you one of those that likes to pretend that your sky-daddy is the only one in existence, and should be feared?

I'm just asking.

Back in my day someone would have a foot up this young gentlemans ass.

Probably a parent.

Not today.

So Sad.

Riiiiiiiiiight. Because child abuse is such a wonderful thing. How WILL we ever survive without it? Oh dear, oh dear. I say we need to beat children more frequently. That will certainly solve all our problems. </sarcasm>

I'll take the go-alongs any time over the sneaks like your son.

Well, you take the go-alongs.. they are also referred to as SHEEP.. and sheep, more oft than not find themselves in the slaughterhouse. I'll take this young man with his courage to stand up for what is right, even at the expense of pissing off a few fundie-nutcases. You keep your go-alongs to yourself, and we'll get along just fine.

:blink::blink: dang now we know the truth about this fool paul! talk about agenda! paul you are a member of the NJ BAR right? well you put your hand on the bible to join that means you told a BIG LIE TO THE BAR! I HOPE SOMEONE TURNS YOU IN! YOU HAVE A TRUST OF THE LAW TO KEEP " A LAW WITH A BASE OF JUDAO[sic] CHRIST/GOD BACKROUND[sic]! I HOPE SOMEONE DOES "PRAY FOR YOU " YOU NEED IT!!!!!!!OH PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM ANY KIDS IN KEARNY THEY DO NOT NEED YOUR PROBLEMS!!! :unsure::unsure:

Because he is an Atheist, he is a bad person? Fascinating logic. Did you pull it out of a cracker-jack box?

Paul has broken no laws by placing his hand on a fictitious book and promising to do his job.

This law you speak of has MANY bases.. Judeo-Christian is not really one of them. Oh, sure.. there are a few ideas littered here and there.. but a base? Not so much.

I love how you say that you hope SOMEONE prays for Paul and his family. Are you too busy to do it yourself? Or are you just that hypocritical?

Not that Paul or his family really need someone to talk to an imaginary friend on their behalf, I just find it amusing.

Why should Paul have to stay away from the children in Kearny? Just what problems do you think that he will bring them?

Perhaps you should go read your buybull a little closer.. I'm sure there is something in there about that hypocritical and judgmental character that you are showing. Something about how you should refrain from doing it. I'm sure I read that in there.

Somehow I think if Mr. P's beliefs were in line with Paul LaClairs, regardless of what law he broke, we would not be discussing this at all.

Of course, you don't know this.. you just ASSume it. Nice to know.

As for the seperation of church and state. It was never the intention of the founding fathers to remove religion from school.

As a matter of fact, that was exactly the intent.

This is a relatively modern idea. The intention was to allow all citizens to practice their respective religions without fear of persecution.

Or their LACK of religious dogma. You seem to leave that out. I wonder why.

That is why there are still numerous references to God in our government,

We're working on that. There needs to be an overhaul, actually. There should be NO MENTION of any deity at all in our government affairs. Both religion and government do a fine job of screwing things up on their own.. there's no reason to mix them.

our currency,

And it should be removed from the currency. It has no place there. Which is why I mark it out on every bill I receive and pass.

out pledge,

The word "god" was added to the pledge AFTER it was penned. In the 50s, to be exact. It was added out of hatred and fear of a different ideology. Perhaps if Mr. P had been teaching history instead of preaching xstainity, you may have learned that.

and the fact that public servants take their oath of office by swearing on a Bible.

Which only proves that this country has some twisted and antiquated ideas that need to be looked at and changed.

I have no doubt!!! Paul is just mad because Mr. P mentioned God....God really bothers some people...I wonder why!

Well, let me put your mind to rest, you will need to wonder no more.

The concept of "god" bothers people because it is fiction. It is fiction that many take for fact and use to justify their hatred, bigotry, fear and murderous nature. The Crusades, Salem Witch Trials, Joan of Arc and yes, September 11. All "faith based initiatives". All brought about by a belief in a fictitious deity.

Now you know.

I found this article in an upstate Ny paper where the writer Carl Strock was making fun of Christians and as all media does ,using his paper to make HIS point and promte[sic] HIS views. Although I do not live in New Jersey I had to take the time to commend the many citizens of Kearny for standing behind the teacher .

So you condone, not only breaking the law, but a community supporting the actions of a law breaker? Very revealing.

This liberally raised child

You hurl the epithet "Liberal" as if it is a bad thing. Would you care to elucidate on why you feel that way? Are you aware of the definition of the word? Or are you just parroting the things that you have heard the likes of Limbaugh, O'Reilly and Coulter spew?

is pushing things as far as he can go and needs to be put in his place.

Put in his place? Pushing things? He pointed out a crime and stood up for his own actions. Contrary to this pseudo-teacher lying about his offenses. Tell me why it is that you feel the one who committed the crime is innocent, while the one that exposed it is guilty?

His parents should be ashamed of him,

His parents should be quite proud of him.

You, on the other hand should be ashamed of yourself for supporting a criminal. Praising someone for breaking the law, and then lying about it. And condemning the one who had the back bone to expose him. Shouldn't you be contacting Dr. Kevorkian by now?

but than as you always see it,

You meant "then", didn't you?

the apple does not roll far from the tree.

And in your case, that is terrifying. If you have not procreated as of yet, do us all a favor and don't. If you have already done this, please, take your children to the nearest DCS and explain to them that you are unfit and unable to care for them and raise them properly. If you raise them to conform to such idiotic ideas, you should not be allowed to do so. Children should be raised to think for themselves and to stand up for what is right, point out what is wrong, defend those who cannot or will not defend themselves. You would make a rotten parent.

We are at War

Ohhhhhhhh it is the old "we are at war" defense. No.. sorry. It doesn't fly here. We are only at war because a fundie nutjob decided that the little brown people in Iraq had too much brown oil, and he didn't have enough. That his chosen deity had a bigger penis than their chosen deity and they should forget about their deity, tiny penis and all and worship his.

and I know of many communities that were hard hit by the casualities[sic] of 9-11 in that area.

And this means.. what?

To have a child refuse to stand up for the pledge of allegiance, would be unheard of years ago.

Well, thankfully, this isn't "years ago". We have progressed and evolved. Compulsory allegiance is not allegiance. It is slavery, brainwashing and mind control.

You might even hear the word Treason, a word seldom used today.

A word used all the time today. Especially by loons such as I mentioned before; O'Reilly, Limbaugh, Coulter, Hanity. However, this is not a treasonous act to refuse to say the PoA. It is exercising one's rights as an American Citizen to say, "I do not agree with this idea, I will not support it."

Christmas IS the birth of Christ

In one religion. However, those who choose to throw off the shackles of such an oppressive ideology as religion should not have to be bombarded for choosing to say "Happy Holidays", "Season's Greetings" or whatever other nicety they decide to go with. Just as you feel you have the write to say, "Merry Christmas".

Now.. what this has to do with the discussion at hand, I have no idea. We are talking about a young man who exposed a crime.

...thus the words CHRIST mas...I am sure any additonal[sic] words the teacher spoke was to this little snot nose who probably egged him on.

He didn't "egg him on". He asked a question, the topic had already strayed from US History and fallen off the map into the idiocy of religious discussion.

We can't sit back and let these type of people ruin our country.

"These type of people"? Excuse me? Would you care to elaborate? I take offense to being labeled as a "those people".. especially when it is from someone as hypocritical and holier-than-thou as yourself.

Are you saying that we cannot allow people with integrity and grit to continue? You prefer those that would sit back on their haunches and allow a crime to be committed? Like the other "snot noses" in the class?

Good for you Mr. Paszkiewicz!!!!

So you support the breaking of laws? How very interesting.

Stand your ground.

So this teacher, by breaking the law is "standing his ground", while the young man in question, who pointed out the crime is not allowed to do that? You are really twisted.

Many of the silent majority are behind you.

Have you taken a poll? Do you know this to be true?

The media and liberal idiots are trying to keep what is right silenced.

Who says that you get to decide what is right? The Constitution already does that, and your "hero-teacher/preacher" was in violation of that.

This is the first time I have written a letter but it won't be my last.

Oh, joy.. I tremble at the thought that you will fill the Internet(s) with more of your drivel. Oh.. no wait. I was just rolling my eyes. As you were. Please, don't waste the bandwidth.

So sad that we don't physically abuse children?  Holy cow, you don't sound like much of a christian.

I have read all the posts for the last several weeks and it is so painfully clear that the religious folks' comments are either plainly foolish or else they are so sadly deluded by their faith that the fail to see REALITY! We need not even discuss the plausibility/likelihood of the virgin birth and rising from the dead - let's not forget that they believe their Jesus is the ONE AND ONLY God to the exclusion of all others - How about the simple proposition that a teacher can not preach his beliefs in class. I mean c'mon people - adults are posting that the LaClair kid should be physically assaulted and otherwise punished for having the guts to stand up to a teacher who is wrong. end of story. go believe whatever your small minds allow but keep it to yourself - kindof like how you want to treat homosexuals -ever heard this? - I dont care what you do (or believe) but for goodness sake don't flaunt it in front of me! well back at ya - keep your god fearing superstitious naive beliefs to yourself. WAKE UP blind followers of myth. Love to hear back from ya.

I found this article in an upstate Ny paper where the  writer Carl Strock was making fun of Christians and as all media does ,using his paper to make HIS point and promte HIS views. Although I do not live in New Jersey I had to take the time to commend the many citizens of Kearny for standing behind the teacher . This liberally raised child is pushing things as far as he can go and needs to be put in his place. His parents  should be ashamed of him, but than as you always see it,  the apple does not roll far from the tree. We are at War and I know of many communities that were hard hit by the casualities of 9-11 in that area. To have a child refuse to stand up for the pledge of allegiance, would be unheard of years ago. You might even hear the word Treason, a word seldom used today.Christmas IS the birth of Christ ...thus the words  CHRIST mas...I am sure any additonal words the teacher spoke was to this little snot nose who probably egged him on. We can't sit back and let these type of people ruin our country. Good for you Mr. Paszkiewicz!!!! Stand your ground. Many of the silent majority are behind you. The media and liberal idiots are trying to keep what is right silenced.This is the first time I have written a letter but it won't be my last.

Val, you should look up the term non sequitur, it may do you some good.

To Matthew,

You are very courageous and I applaud you. I suffered similarly in high school in a very conservative rural school when I refused to stand for the pledge. The pressure to conform is great, but empty ritual to appease the sheep does not lead to satisfaction.

Guest The Sage on the Hudson
Also, fun facts: The Pledge of Allegiance was written for a children's magazine on September 7, 1892. The phrase "under god" was not added until June 14, 1954. Also, I think that for anyone to have enough gall to say that God takes only our side as a nation needs to rethink their position. To say that God supports anyone during times of war and violence is rather disturbing.

It should be noted that "under God' was added by an Act of Congress to puff up Congress's anti-Communist credentials to counter critcisms from the likes of Senator Joseph McCarthy and his John Birch Society allies that they were soft on the evil Red Menace. Of course, those accusations were purely political in nature, as was the whole Communist witch-hunting phenomenon of the late 1940s-early 1950s: declare a false crisis, then offer a "solution" to said "crisis," ensuring that these "saviors" of Democracy will then hold elective office indefinitely, and be able to use their unfettered authority to further their political ends and ambitions.

Sound familiar? Just substutute the names Bush and Cheney for McCarthy. As to how this relates to the matter of Matthew LaClair and his teacher, the climate fostered by the current White House, in which the Separation of Church and State is under constant seige from the higest levels in government, encourages those like Mr Paskiewicz who then think that they have Washington's blessings to proselytize and breach a barrier that the Founding Fathers thoughtr essential and idispensable in a democracy.

Guest Keith Brown - Marshall,Mo

How dare you invoke 9/11, use the word treason and give us all a lesson in Christianity all while supporting someone who not only violated the law but also our constitution. There is a REASON we have separation of church and state and there could be no more classic example than this particular situation.

You also seem to equate our admonishment of the teacher for his actions as some sort of attack on Christianity.

Chrsitinaity itself is fine, out of the public classroom. Where is your forgiveness? Your turn the other cheek ? Your peace and love? What would Jesus do? You wonder why people make fun of christianity? It's because as of late alot of Christians become hysterical, acutally more like puritanical.

It's people like you that drove me away from the church. You do not practice what you preach and lastly it's people like you that are down right frightening. YOU are why our founding fathers saw fit to invoke separation of church and state.

And one more thing, for now we still have some freedoms left in this country.

If you truly believe in our freedom as much as it would seem you do about Christianity, then you must be willing to put up with some things you don't agree with. Finally, it is people like you, the Christian brow beaters, you are the reason this story is such a firestorm. If heaven is full of people like you, then what's the payoff?

Guest Miss Sweet
To everyone who is attacking this poor student: Where in your supposedly sacred bibble does it say that you can viscerally attack those who disagree with you? Oh right, thats the entire point - religious nutjobs aren't allowed to be tolerant of unbelievers! This whole story, blown out of proportion as it may be, is not about the kid who called his teacher on some exceptionally egregious breaches of conduct.

To those who agree with this so-called teacher, you can choose to believe whatever you want, but if you want to know why secular Americans, and many of your own brethren are so repulsed by your conception of the role of religion in American life, it boils down to one thing: hypocrisy. It baffles me that you can praise Jesus for his tolerance, while you attack those who stand up against blatant prostytizing by an authority figure who should know the difference between his classroom and his pulpit. It is hypocrisy to defend his right to free speech while making ad hominem attacks against the student who felt he needed to broadcast his teacher's transgressions to the world at large. If you want to know why I can't stand people who claim to be christians it is in the hypocrisy of believing in a god who preaches tolerance while simultaneously displaying so much callous intolerance of those who choose not to believe what you believe. I have read your bibble, and I have found not one smidge of evidence that you who call yourself christians are practicing anything that jesus would approve of. step back, and look at yourselves closely, see if you can reconcile what you are with what you believe yourselves to be, and then get back to me. I won't hold my breath though.

You rock so very f**king much.

He waited over a month from the date of the meeting.  How long was he supposed to wait?

David Paszkiewicz can't have it both ways. If he is so passionate about his beliefs (which is his right) he should teach in a private Baptist school where he is free to further indoctrinate those of like minded beliefs but he obviously wants to reap the benefits from the public school salary, health benefits and pension system. He is an absolute disgrace to be a public school teacher. I completely understand why Matt taped this teacher. Would anyone have actually believed him otherwise. Matthew is truly a brave teenager, absolutely correct as this teacher crossed the line of what is appropriate. Those who have threatened this boy are truly despicable hypocritical individuals. Anyone whose is threatened by this boy obviously has a fragile faith to begin with. Matthew & family stay strong there are some of us with you 100%.

Many others have raised this point before, but I have yet to see a satisfactory answer from the defenders of the teacher:

If the teacher had been preaching fundamentalist Islam or some other religion instead of Christianity during his history class, would you still be taking the side of the teacher?

You see, separation of Church and State isn't aimed at destroying or negating religion; it's aimed at safeguarding your freedom to maintain your own religious beliefs, no matter what the people in power believe in. The separation isn't anti-religion at all; it strengthens religions of all stripes by preventing policians and teachers from imposing their version of faith on everyone else.

Congratulations to Matthew and his family for having the backbone to stand up for rights of all Americans, including their detractors, to practice religion free from government interference. I strongly believe Mr. Paszkiewicz has the right to condemn people to hell in accordance with his faith; but the place he should do that is in the Church, NOT in his classroom.

Premeditated entrapment!!!

How about the administration taking action against this traitor, who should be dropped in the center of Iraq, so he don't have to salute our flag, but help burn it with people like himself!!!!!

He should be suspended for having a recording device in the classroom.

Why is this student a 'traitor'? He doesnt have to salute the flag at all if that is

his choice, only people in the Military have to as far as I know.

Religion has no place in the class room period.

Have you signed up to go to Iraq to fight in a GW Bush mistake?

You Krishtuns are hypocrites, you rant about the flag and gun rights, yet

you crap on the 4th amendment.

Genesis 19:32-36

Come, let us make our father drink wine, and we will lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father. And they made their father drink wine that night: and the firstborn went in, and lay with her father; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose. Behold, I lay yesternight with my father: let us make him drink wine this night also; and go thou in, and lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father. And they made their father drink wine that night also: and the younger arose, and lay with him; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose. Thus were both the daughters of Lot with child by their father.

Luke 14:26

If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children,and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

Matthew 10:34

Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

And a man's foes shall be they of his own household. He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

Mark 4:25

For he that hath, to him shall be given: and he that hath not, from him shall be taken even that which he hath. -- The US Republican Party motto

Corinthians 11:5

But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered. For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.

Cleophus 69:69

Krishtuns are hypocrits and evil

This whole thing is the teachers fault.

With the taxes that are paid in Kearny for the schools, can't we hire teachers who know how to discuss these issues with in the guide lines for acceptable discussions about sensitive subjects.

With all his degrees this teacher had no common sense.

As to Mathew, I think he did the right thing going to the newpapers. As usual in Kearny I am sure this whole mess would have been swept under some rug or hidden in some closet with the rest of the skeletons. It is about time that the powers to be are called on the carpet to do what we pay taxes for.

Teach inforce the rules that exist and not make them up as they go along to suit their agendas.

Kudos to You and your family Mathew and don't back down maybe you can teach a few people that they can not do whatever they want.

Come to think about it.. the teacher must have been speaking about the Current Board of Ed and The Mayor and Council who all think they are GODS!

Does Santos Have his picture hanging on Town Hall yet?

Do you think he had anything to do with evolution?

Dear Paul,

It must be terrible to see your son attacked so publicly, and to read threats made against him. As a father I can understand your need to defend him, however, I would humbly suggest that you and your son need to stay above the fray.

Commenting on a web forum to each angry or hateful message will diminish your dignity and almost certainly lead to your words being twisted. Worse still you may end up saying something in a hurry that you may regret later.

An article/ letter to the local paper or a national daily will be a much more effective means of getting your views heard.

All the best.

Guest none please

I think that the sheer number of people who seem to be attacking athiests, agnostics and those who consider their faith undefined definitively proves that the true persecuted religion in this country is NOT christianity. It infuriates me to see self-righteous Christians moaning about how their rights are infringed upon, how - oh no! - they can't discuss god at work, at school, with everyone they come in contact with. Now imagine, if you will, if this teacher had been telling everyone in the class that there was no god, that Christians were ignorant, that the bible is nothing but moderately well-written fiction. I'm sure the same people who think this teacher did no wrong would be SCREAMING for his/her resignation.

Why is it that when Christians are prevented from expressing their PERSONAL beliefs in a PUBLIC setting and to potentially NONRECEPTIVE audience, they complain about being censored, yet if a secular teacher did the same, he would be fired in a heartbeat.

Religious beliefs that are founded on the non-existance of god have the same protection and restrictions that religious beliefs founded on his existance have.

This is an innocent, intelligent kid who got tired of his HISTORY teacher talking about his personal beliefs and making condemning comments to those who disagreed. Any teacher who blatantly announces that those in the class who are non-Christian are going to hell deserves to be fired. I highly doubt that this teacher had been teaching his class normally and was later baited by this kid to start talking about god. It seems far more likely that after days or weeks of his proselytizing, a student got fed up and decided to get evidence so that it would be harder for the teacher to deny his completely innapropriate and constitutionally ILLEGAL teaching style.

Your religion (or lack thereof) is your own business. Please refrain from talking about it in public spaces unless asked specifically to - and even then, use your discretion

So sad that we don't physically abuse children?  Holy cow, you don't sound like much of a christian.

It is commendable that Matthew LaClair had the courage to oppose his teacher's proselytizing in class. Mr. Paszkiewicz's statements, "If you reject his gift of salvation, then you know where you belong" and ...that only Christians had a place in heaven, are not only offensive; but they definitely violate the boundary between church and state. How would a Muslim feel in his class? One of the tenets of Christianity is acceptance of those who have different beliefs. Mr. Paszkiewicz can freely express his religious ideology in church and lecture halls, but school is not an appropriate venue. The breathtaking ignorance and viciousness of the people who are vilifying this student is extremely disturbing. This behavior is regressive. Remember the Salem witch trials, the crusades? Christianity can certainly be brutal. Apparently these people have forgotten that one of our rights is freedom of religion. Demonizing those of another faith in a public school setting is abridging this freedom. This country needs more people like Matthew LaClair who has the strength of his own belief system and to oppose those who trample on his rights.

I found this article in an upstate Ny paper where the  writer Carl Strock was making fun of Christians and as all media does ,using his paper to make HIS point and promte HIS views.

I have to agree with you. It's incredibly frustrating - downright retarded - when people charged with informing the public about information in a completely objective manner take the situation into their own hands and inject entirely personal and subjective beliefs into their work, thereby reducing the value of the information.

See what I did there?

Although I do not live in New Jersey I had to take the time to commend the many citizens of Kearny for standing behind the teacher . This liberally raised child is pushing things as far as he can go and needs to be put in his place. His parents  should be ashamed of him, but than as you always see it,  the apple does not roll far from the tree. We are at War and I know of many communities that were hard hit by the casualities of 9-11 in that area. To have a child refuse to stand up for the pledge of allegiance, would be unheard of years ago. You might even hear the word Treason, a word seldom used today.

This is what baffles me. We're at WAR for - according to some - the purpose of spreading democratic freedom to others; the freedom to hold dissenting opinions without fear of harm or persecution, the freedom to choose one's own religion, speak freely and so on and so forth...

It's completely contradictory to make an argument regarding the war like that when you can't even comprehend one of the most basic principles of democratic freedom upon which the nation you hold dear is fundamentally formed. The teacher's behaviour may have been acceptable in a Church or Christian Academy, but in a publicly funded school supported by the State, this teacher was:

- Influencing students with personal opinion (something you'd dislike, I daresay, if it weren't an opinion you agreed with)

- Going into Religion; a subjective and deeply personal matter, and worst of all:

- Going completely off topic! Hell, at least this wouldn't seem as crazy if this wasn't in a science class. Not only is it insane, but it's irresponsible and a waste of time.

Christmas IS the birth of Christ ...thus the words  CHRIST mas...I am sure any additonal words the teacher spoke was to this little snot nose who probably egged him on.

Well, actually there's as much proof that Jesus' birth was in April of 4 B.C. as there is for the argument of December 25th. When you figure in all the rapid calender form changes over the past 2000 years such as leap years and the Church actually skipping days (as in: "today's tuesday, but as of tomorrow, it will be friday" literally.) when switching forms, it's pretty damned impossible to actually tell. True stuff.

We can't sit back and let these type of people ruin our country. Good for you Mr. Paszkiewicz!!!! Stand your ground. Many of the silent majority are behind you. The media and liberal idiots are trying to keep what is right silenced.This is the first time I have written a letter but it won't be my last.

This 'liberal idiot,' with an actual comprehension of freedom of speech and religion and the ability to properly employ grammar and punctuation disagrees. You are ruining the country. The fanatic evangelicals who'll see America turned into a theocracy are the danger; marching with symbols they can't comprehend and waving the flag of freedom while stamping it out and dancing merrily on its grave.