Mayor Santos running out of excuses?

Guest Town Watch

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like it or not your stuck with this guy. He has a tight grip on the town. As far as getting someone to run against him your out of luck. He's in with the boy's in Trenton and the county. Your done. Look at all the empty store fronts on Kearny ave. What's left? He's busy building his future at your expense and does nothing for the town. If there is truth to the talk about private invetigators bills I would like to know what that is about. Look, just move out and start new some where else. If you really want change vote for change in Trenton this november that will get attention levels up. Don't complain, Act! All the best.  Former resident.

63557[/snapback]

Santos may very well be the County's boy, But I remember reading some where that Santos is out of favor with the Politico's in Trenton. I hate to say it but the only reason Santos keeps getting reElected is because of the large Portuguese population, they like him he's one of their own. If we had a large Italian population we'd have a Italian mayor.

Guest a proud american
Now how about some actual suggestions!!!!!! Multiple exclamation points will not make solutions magically appear.

"Recall Santos" doesn't count, unless corruption is the problem and he's been proven to be connected to it.

70795[/snapback]

I have read on this post about how the taxes have gone up, but haven't seen what's causing them to go up.

However, another way to look at is, how much Federal Aid to the State was cut and how much State money was cut since as I understand it, the State has to balance their budget by law. And, has this helped to cause an increase.

I am not for or against the Mayor and Council but Mr. Pinnho has provided some good information that's worth looking into.

However, does anyone really know just how much the salaries and benefits to the employees, as a percentage of the budget really is? While i'm sure they probably make up a large percentage there must be other areas that cause taxes to rise.

At-least people are starting to pay more attention and maybe you can find a solution that makes sense. However, the biggest question is, what are the people of Kearny willing to give up in exchange for lower taxes? Less police, less firefighters less town employees, less services?

I have read on this post about how the taxes have gone up, but haven't seen what's causing them to go up.

However, another way to look at is, how much Federal Aid to the State was cut and how much State money was cut since as I understand it, the State has to balance their budget by law. And, has this helped to cause an increase.

I am not for or against the Mayor and Council but Mr. Pinnho has provided some good information that's worth looking into.

However, does anyone really know just how much the salaries and benefits to the employees, as a percentage of the budget really is? While i'm sure they probably make up a large percentage there must be other areas that cause taxes to rise.

At-least people are starting to pay more attention and maybe you can find a solution that makes sense. However, the biggest question is, what are the people of Kearny willing to give up in exchange for lower taxes? Less police, less firefighters less town employees, less services?

71150[/snapback]

That is the million-dollar question (possibly literally :P).

Let's get some real, actual information, people. Ranting will not decrease anyone's taxes.

Guest 2ND WARD VOTER

BARBARA CIFELLI SHERRY DID MORE FOR THIS TOWN THEN YOU COULD DREAM OF DOING BUTTHEAD!!!!!!

69461[/snapback]

[/qu

Has the Town of Kearny has been an employment agency for family and friends?

BARBARA CIFELLI SHERRY DID MORE FOR THIS TOWN THEN YOU COULD DREAM OF DOING BUTTHEAD!!!!!!

69461[/snapback]

[/qu

Has the Town of Kearny has been an employment agency for family and friends?

72010[/snapback]

You are right plus all that person does is walk on Kearny Ave. Hello lady try walking in the bad section. Just another yes mayor what ever you say mayor. Santos does not hear the taxpayers and I feel he does not care.

Guest Town Watch
Jim, with all due respect, I haven't proven your point about anything. The impetus behind this discussion was supposed to be lower taxes for Kearny's citizens, if that could be achieved - regardless whether it took the form of unified suggestions to the mayor and council, or a political campaign of some kind. My personal suspicion was that the mayor and council have done all they can, within reason, to keep our taxes as low as possible. So far those suspicions have only been confirmed. I'm still waiting for a concrete idea how our taxes could be lower. So far, none have been presented. You can't even come up with a single idea that will actually save us taxes, unless there's merit in John Pinho's idea regarding United Water. All that tells me is how tight a job the mayor and council have done.

For your part, you've not provided a shred of data to show that police and fire salaries are excessive, you haven't answered the mayor's charges about your own vote to accept a contract that would have cost us an additional $500,000, and you've just admitted that there was nothing wrong with the decision the mayor and council made about the bond issue you raised. So in the end, it's a lot of finger-pointing, but we taxpayers aren't saved a penny. On the basis of the evidence, it's Santos $500,000, Mangin $0. Sorry, Jim, but Al has presented a concrete example where a decision he made was $500,000 better for us taxpayers than the deicision you would have made, and you have not denied it. He has connected the dots, i.e., given straight answers all the way from the question to the conclusion, which is part of what I mean by professionalism. You haven't.

I gotta tell you, Jim, you've dodged all the issues that matter to me, and I suspect to most people in town. You can't blast the mayor, and then just ignore all the charges leveled back at you, especially if you're thinking about running again. Those who live by the sword also die by the sword.

We're interested in our taxes; that is what started this series of discussions. It's really very disappointing to watch you fire off a series of cheap shots, when what we're really interested in is good government with the lowest taxes possible. I truly believe you have a contribution to make, but this is not it.

69506[/snapback]

Paul

The Town of Kearny needs a total reorganization of how we run town services. The first thing we should do is have a totally independent audit of the budget. Lets find out by counting every salary, pen, vehicle, anything nailed to the floor.Let this audit bring recommendations on how we can save money or if we can save any money at all, Yes there will be a cost for this audit, but in the end in my opinion, it will yield cost saving recommendations that will result in a tax savings that will pay for the audit fee many times over. Paul, I don't think Mayor Santos will do this because it would expose many areas that would show where wasteful spending takes place and have taken place for years. The bottomline is an truly independent audit will bring about an honest assessment of Kearny's finances, without the politics of appointing some firm that plays the political pay to play game. Perhaps the Mayor could appoint a committee with yourself, Mr Mangin, Mr Pincho, to decide who should do the audit. Lets find out the truth about how we spend our tax dollars. I beleive a "TRULY INDEPENDENT AUDIT" will give us the answers to why our Taxes are out of control. Again this Mayor won't do it. There's a suggestion lets hope hes listening.

Paul

The Town of Kearny needs a total reorganization of how we run town services. The first thing we should do is have a totally independent audit of the budget. Lets find out  by counting every salary, pen, vehicle, anything nailed to the floor.Let this audit bring recommendations on how we can save money or if we can save any money at all, Yes there will be a cost  for this audit, but in the end in my opinion, it will yield cost saving recommendations that will result in a tax savings that will pay for the audit fee many times over. Paul, I don't think Mayor Santos will do this because it would expose many areas that would show where wasteful spending takes place and have taken place for years. The bottomline is an truly independent audit will bring about an honest assessment of Kearny's finances, without the politics of appointing some firm that plays the political pay to play game. Perhaps the Mayor could appoint a committee with yourself, Mr Mangin, Mr Pincho, to decide who should do the audit. Lets find out the truth about how we spend our tax dollars. I beleive a "TRULY INDEPENDENT AUDIT" will give us the answers to why our Taxes are out of control.  Again this Mayor won't do it.  There's a suggestion lets hope hes listening.

73252[/snapback]

As a CPA with some experience in municipalities, I'd like to offer the following:

Municipal property taxes are driven by 5 major items; 1) County taxes,

2) School budget, 3) Debt service, 4) Salaries (including health benefits), and

5) Pension payments. Everything else is incidental and doesn't mean much.

The mayor has basically no control over numbers 1, 2, 3 and 5. Number 4

(salaries and benefits) is the only one the mayor can lower. In order to

lower the taxes in any appreciable amount, the mayor and council would have

to lay off a large number of employees. How many police, fire and other town

workers would you like to see laid off ? What municipal services are you willing

to give up ? Do you think the residents would support a large layoff of police,

fire and municipal workers ? I personally don't think so. It's easy to sit back

and criticise the mayor and blame him for the taxes but the facts don't support

your criticism.

Guest Been there
Paul

The Town of Kearny needs a total reorganization of how we run town services. The first thing we should do is have a totally independent audit of the budget. Lets find out  by counting every salary, pen, vehicle, anything nailed to the floor.Let this audit bring recommendations on how we can save money or if we can save any money at all, Yes there will be a cost  for this audit, but in the end in my opinion, it will yield cost saving recommendations that will result in a tax savings that will pay for the audit fee many times over. Paul, I don't think Mayor Santos will do this because it would expose many areas that would show where wasteful spending takes place and have taken place for years. The bottomline is an truly independent audit will bring about an honest assessment of Kearny's finances, without the politics of appointing some firm that plays the political pay to play game. Perhaps the Mayor could appoint a committee with yourself, Mr Mangin, Mr Pincho, to decide who should do the audit. Lets find out the truth about how we spend our tax dollars. I beleive a "TRULY INDEPENDENT AUDIT" will give us the answers to why our Taxes are out of control.  Again this Mayor won't do it.  There's a suggestion lets hope hes listening.

73252[/snapback]

There was an audit of Kearny in the late 1990s. Most of the recommendations were implemented. The key ones that were not were 1) closing down the Davis Avenue firehouse and reducing fire manpower in the process, and 2) going to civilian emergency dispatchers and regionalizing that function with Harrison. Which of these do you wish to implement?

Guest Open Your Eyes
As a CPA with some experience in municipalities, I'd like to offer the following:

workers would you like to see laid off ?  What municipal services are you willing

to give up ?  Do you think the residents would support a large layoff of police,

fire and municipal workers ?  I personally don't think so. It's easy to sit back

your criticism.

73306[/snapback]

And another thing, I was in the library recently. Have you seen the globes in the children's department? They all say "Soviet Union" on them! Not to mention the place is a mess, and I soon found out why, after a chat with some of the full-time staff. They all make mention of the fact that the public library is severely understaffed, and has been for a long time. In fact, the full-time employee who I had gotten used to seeing in that back room every time I walked through died around Halloween of LAST YEAR and they still haven't gotten around to replacing him! They're putting it off as much as possible, probably because that will cost money and create more whining from the people here who don't understand that this is not an isolated nor local problem.

Now, most of the time I pass through the library, that back room for the kids is empty because they don't have the resources to put someone there except for a lone part-timer and only after school is out. That shafts the parents with the preschool-aged children too.

Doesn't anyone care about this?

There was an audit of Kearny in the late 1990s.  Most of the recommendations were implemented.  The key ones that were not were 1) closing down the Davis Avenue firehouse and reducing fire manpower in the process, and 2) going to civilian emergency dispatchers and regionalizing that function with Harrison.  Which of these do you wish to implement?

73363[/snapback]

Well, there goes that suggestion out the window--so much for the squandering claim.

There was an audit of Kearny in the late 1990s.  Most of the recommendations were implemented.  The key ones that were not were 1) closing down the Davis Avenue firehouse and reducing fire manpower in the process, and 2) going to civilian emergency dispatchers and regionalizing that function with Harrison.  Which of these do you wish to implement?

73363[/snapback]

What were the total savings after paying for the audit?

workers would you like to see laid off ?  What municipal services are you willing

to give up ?  Do you think the residents would support a large layoff of police,

fire and municipal workers ?  I personally don't think so. It's easy to sit back

your criticism.

73306[/snapback]

Dear CPA:

The Mayor has been asking for input on the budget. He has stated that he is surprised at the lack of public input. As I stated in my Letter to the Editor which was published in the Observer, give us (the Kearny residents) the financial detail and we will give you (the Mayor) some ideas. The Mayor has not rushed to put the financials on the town's website. That speaks louder than anyone could on this forum or at a town meeting. Since you have purported expertise in the field (municipal budgets), you could assist in finding cost savings if you had the line-item detail. You state that "the facts don't support ... [the] criticism". What facts? We have no facts because the Mayor asked for input but didn't give us the details so how are we suppose to discuss the facts. He is hiding the facts. Why? If you have nothing to hide, open up the books and let's see if we can stop the ever increasing property taxes.

Dear CPA:

The Mayor has been asking for input on the budget.  He has stated that he is surprised at the lack of public input.  As I stated in my Letter to the Editor which was published in the Observer, give us (the Kearny residents) the financial detail and we will give you (the Mayor) some ideas.  The Mayor has not rushed to put the financials on the town's website.  That speaks louder than anyone could on this forum or at a town meeting.  Since you have purported expertise in the field (municipal budgets), you could assist in finding cost savings if you had the line-item detail.  You state that "the facts don't support ... [the] criticism".  What facts?  We have no facts because the Mayor asked for input but didn't give us the details so how are we suppose to discuss the facts.  He is hiding the facts.  Why?  If you have nothing to hide, open up the books and let's see if we can stop the ever increasing property taxes.

73527[/snapback]

Unless I completely misunderstand the law on this subject, all the books are public record. How do you defend the statement "open up the books"?

73363[/snapback]

yeah close down a fire house and reduce the main power of an already understaffed fire department is a real smart idea.......the civilian dispatch and merging that with harrison is actually not that bad of an idea

Guest Guest_RonD_*
What were the total savings after paying for the audit?

73485[/snapback]

There was no charge for the audit. At the time any municipality only had to ask and the state would send in an audit team.

Dear CPA:

The Mayor has been asking for input on the budget.  He has stated that he is surprised at the lack of public input.  As I stated in my Letter to the Editor which was published in the Observer, give us (the Kearny residents) the financial detail and we will give you (the Mayor) some ideas.  The Mayor has not rushed to put the financials on the town's website.  That speaks louder than anyone could on this forum or at a town meeting.  Since you have purported expertise in the field (municipal budgets), you could assist in finding cost savings if you had the line-item detail.  You state that "the facts don't support ... [the] criticism".  What facts?  We have no facts because the Mayor asked for input but didn't give us the details so how are we suppose to discuss the facts.  He is hiding the facts.  Why?  If you have nothing to hide, open up the books and let's see if we can stop the ever increasing property taxes.

73527[/snapback]

Dear Mr. Pinho,

County tax, school budget, debt service and pension payment (items 1,2

3 & 5) information is easily obtained from the town treasurer or business

administrator. But as I said previously, these are fixed costs and cannot be

reduced.

In reality, the only numbers that can effect the town budget are; budgets of

the police dept., fire dept., public works dept. and all other municipal workers.

There are really no books to be opened, going over the line items and cutting

the number of pencils and paper clips is meaningless.

Reducing police, fire, public works and municipal workers by 30% would

give you the tax cuts your looking for but it would be a nightmare scenario

for the town and no clear thinking mayor would suggest it.

So what's the answer ? Expanded use of mutual aid, consolidation and

shared services can produce some relief but it's difficult to get neighboring

towns to agree on these subjects. I would suggest the mayor contact the

mayors of Harrison and N. Arlington, set up an ad hoc committee to explore

the idea.

There was no charge for the audit. At the time any municipality only had to ask and the state would send in an audit team.

73560[/snapback]

The classic free lunch. Kearny may not pay directly, but someone has to pay the auditers. So your state taxes go up.

Anyway, this doesn't answer the main part of the question. How much did the last audit save? Additionally, why do another audit only 8 years later? What reason is there to believe that substantial savings will result?

County tax, school budget, debt service and pension payment (items 1,2

3 & 5) information is easily obtained from the town treasurer or business

administrator

If they are easily obtained from the town treasurer or business administrator, why aren't they published (posted) on the town's website? The Mayor called for a discussion but I have to go and pay for copies of the documents. Give the public the documents that the finance committee has when it looks at the budge. It is all public information correct?

Unless I completely misunderstand the law on this subject, all the books are public record. How do you defend the statement "open up the books"?

73547[/snapback]

Paul,

"open up the books" in the context of my post meant "post the information on the web so its easily available to the public". In this internet age, if the Mayor is serious about wanting our input he should put all the town's public financial data on the town's website.