Mayor Santos running out of excuses?

Guest Town Watch

Guest Recall Mayor Santos
Jim,

Thinking further about your posts and my response, I’d like to try this again to put this in the positive. My first choice would be that you make your case the best way you know how. That’s always how I want to make my cases, and the presumption is that you know what your strongest points are.

If you prefer that I pick a topic, post # 123 seems to be the most reasoned here so far. So let’s explore the question of an across-the-board cut in the employee base. If you agree with that approach, the relevant questions to me would include:

1. What is the employee base, that is, how many police, how many firefighters, teachers, clerical, etc.

2. Would you propose to cut any salaries? If so, whose and by how much?

3. How big a cut would you make in each area (police, fire, etc.), and specifically which positions would you reduce?

4. How would you expect those cuts to affect the quality of services?

5. Have you gotten input from the departments you propose to cut? I understand that they have an interest in any proposed cut, but I do think we have to hear them out. After all, they’re the ones providing those services.

6. How much money would your proposal save us, and what would be the dollar effect on x amount of current taxation?

7. I have to disagree with “RMS” that we should lecture town employees on what a privilege it is to work for the town. Don’t know about you, but I want the best possible people in every one of those jobs. Employee morale matters. What’s the likelihood that across-the-board layoffs will discourage good people from wanting to work for the town?

8. Is this a long-term solution, or are we going to be complaining a couple of years from now that services have declined, and organizing to recall the next mayor so we can get the old level of services back? I’ve seen towns do this dance of perpetual sniping and dissatisfaction. It’s very upsetting to everyone, personal relationships can be badly strained or broken, and it’s not in anyone’s best interests, except ironically the newspapers’. Analyze, please.

If you want a second line of information to pursue, what are the tax rates over the last 20 years? By what percentage are we up from 20 years ago? What has been the pattern throughout that time, and what makes Santos’ tenure stand out, if any anything?

That’s the kind of detail I’m looking for.

The other point about a potential recall, and it’s not a small one: Kearny is a town of 40,000 people. I don’t know how many people are willing to run for mayor. To my eye, Al Santos is several cuts above what we usually get in that job. He is intelligent, professional and on everything I’ve ever seen him do, he truly seems to listen to all sides with an open mind. Now maybe our anonymous “Recall Mayor Santos” is right: maybe Al has been ignoring a festering wound, hasn’t been listening, etc. But first I want to see the evidence that there was a real alternative, then I want to know who is out there willing to take his job. Maybe you’ll convince Al and he’ll change policies. I’ve seen bad mayors in Kearny. I don’t think he is one of them, and I don’t want to go back to that if it can be avoided. Show me that you have a plan to improve our town and lower our taxes, then I’ll join you.

Pual

Give me an example of who was a "BAD MAYOR"

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know Paul. First you were opposed to a recall because you said it would cost taxpayers money. Then, I showed that it wouldn't cost anything. Now it seems you're against a recall because you don't know who else is running. Are you entirely objective when it comes to Mayor Santos?

Jim Mangin

Jim and RMS,

I'm not entirely objective about Al. I like him personally and consider him a friend, not a close friend but a friend. However, he became my friend because I saw and respected the job he did as mayor. I thought it was exceptional.

I freely admit that I don't spend much time on local issues, and it's possible that my impressions were wrong. If you show me that, then I'll change my mind, friendship or no. I pay taxes just like you do. Problem is, you guys are already acting as though you want to fight. Calm down, keep the information coming, and let's see what we've got.

Look, guys, I don't control whom the people of Kearny choose to select or retain as our mayor. I get one vote just like everyone else. I was just looking for information. You've given me some, I'll check it out. Please keep it coming.

While it's true insurance and fixed costs have increased and state aid has not - that's not to say the Mayor and Town Council shouldn't be constantly looking for ways to save taxpayer money. It seems this administration feels that since it can't control those fixed costs it can't control the increase in taxes. Not so.

Yes, there are less employees than there were 20 years ago, but there also efficiencies now that didn’t exist then. For example, 20 years ago if you wanted to view a tax map you had to go the Assessor’s office and have someone pull out those ancient documents. Now, taps maps are available on-line. If we’re not going to reduce the workforce as we become more efficient, we need to find other ways to save money.

For example, Kearny has a full-time Tax Collector, full-time Assistant Tax Collector, as well as various clerks and cashiers in the Tax Collector’s office. Their job is to send out tax bills and collect the revenue. Yet we’re paying well over $300,000 a year to United Water to perform this same function for water bills, except that United also reads the water meters. I brought up this as an alternative to the 2004 water rate increase, but it was never investigated or even discussed (probably because the idea originated from John Pinho).

While lay-offs may not be the answer, the real answer is out there. It just needs more debate and discussion to draw it out. And a Mayor and Council willing to listen.

Jim Mangin

Easy on the lay off talk, Strifey doen't like it. Maybe you could get him a job a shop rite Jim.

Jim and RMS,

I'm not entirely objective about Al. I like him personally and consider him a friend, not a close friend but a friend. However, he became my friend because I saw and respected the job he did as mayor. I thought it was exceptional.

I freely admit that I don't spend much time on local issues, and it's possible that my impressions were wrong. If you show me that, then I'll change my mind, friendship or no. I pay taxes just like you do. Problem is, you guys are already acting as though you want to fight. Calm down, keep the information coming, and let's see what we've got.

Look, guys, I don't control whom the people of Kearny choose to select or retain as our mayor. I get one vote just like everyone else. I was just looking for information. You've given me some, I'll check it out. Please keep it coming.

Paul,

You characterize this discussion as a "fight"? Then I guess you would consider a similar discussion at a Town Council meeting to be "mud wrestling."

To support your arguements I would be interested in hearing exactly what you saw Mayor Santos do as mayor that you thought was "exceptional." I'd also like to hear one specific example of how he established decorum at Town Council meetings. You said earlier that you saw it first hand.

By your own admission, you haven't spent much time on local issues and you consider the Mayor to be a friend. Is your view of the Mayor based solely on his response to your issue? I'd understand it if it was. It's human nature to defend your defenders. But I certainly don't think you should paint his whole administration with that brush. I could be wrong. Let's hear your examples. Then we can move on to the real issues.

Jim Mangin

Maybe Paul can explain why the Mayor LIED openly in the Jersey Journal Article??? He stated that the salaries for Police and Fire are the direct result of Binding Arbitration, when there has NEVER been a Binding Arbitration for salaries for the Police Department, or for the firefighters, with the exception of the Fire Officers, who went, IIRC, 5 YEARS with no contract. If that's mayor Santos' idea of "Negotiating in Good Faith" there's no Wonder he's no longer a practicing Attorney.

Paul,

You characterize this discussion as a "fight"? Then I guess you would consider a similar discussion at a Town Council meeting to be "mud wrestling."

To support your arguements I would be interested in hearing exactly what you saw Mayor Santos do as mayor that you thought was "exceptional." I'd also like to hear one specific example of how he established decorum at Town Council meetings. You said earlier that you saw it first hand.

By your own admission, you haven't spent much time on local issues and you consider the Mayor to be a friend. Is your view of the Mayor based solely on his response to your issue? I'd understand it if it was. It's human nature to defend your defenders. But I certainly don't think you should paint his whole administration with that brush. I could be wrong. Let's hear your examples. Then we can move on to the real issues.

Jim Mangin

Jim,

My admiration for Al Santos dates to the beginning of his tenure as mayor, long before "our issue."

I'm not going to debate my views on his governing style. This is a forum for discussing a possible recall. I've asked what are the reasons. The "real issues" should already have been put forth. RMS says he will walk "threw" the door I supposedly opened with the facts. OK, except for two things:

1. I didn't open any door. An anonymous critic of the mayor opened this topic, and besides, the mayor's actions as they relate to our taxes are always fair game.

2. The specific facts justifying a recall should already be posted here. So go ahead. That's what I've been asking for.

While it's true insurance and fixed costs have increased and state aid has not - that's not to say the Mayor and Town Council shouldn't be constantly looking for ways to save taxpayer money. It seems this administration feels that since it can't control those fixed costs it can't control the increase in taxes. Not so.

Yes, there are less employees than there were 20 years ago, but there also efficiencies now that didn’t exist then. For example, 20 years ago if you wanted to view a tax map you had to go the Assessor’s office and have someone pull out those ancient documents. Now, taps maps are available on-line. If we’re not going to reduce the workforce as we become more efficient, we need to find other ways to save money.

For example, Kearny has a full-time Tax Collector, full-time Assistant Tax Collector, as well as various clerks and cashiers in the Tax Collector’s office. Their job is to send out tax bills and collect the revenue. Yet we’re paying well over $300,000 a year to United Water to perform this same function for water bills, except that United also reads the water meters. I brought up this as an alternative to the 2004 water rate increase, but it was never investigated or even discussed (probably because the idea originated from John Pinho).

While lay-offs may not be the answer, the real answer is out there. It just needs more debate and discussion to draw it out. And a Mayor and Council willing to listen.

Jim Mangin

The Tax Collector's Office used to have 5 employees. Now it has 2.

The Assessor's Office used to have 3 emloyees. Now it has 1. the Assessor.

Where else would you like to cut?

The time to act is NOW!!!!!!!!

This is how Kearny residents felt about Jim.

I'm sure he would be a great option.

Kearny NEEDS YOU Jim you let the residents see the light. While Santos keeps us in the dark.You have the intelligence and the hutzpah to get the questions answered.

Jim, If I lived in Kearny you would have my Vote, but i moved too Palm Springs,Ca. But i get my friends to vote for you......

I truly hope he gets in.

He's got my family's vote.

Mangin has the knowledge to turn this around. Do you pay taxes? I do and my vote is for Mangin.

you got my vote. where can I send a contribution?

Lets Support Mangin, the only real candidate going for election. Lets make a difference! SUPPORT MANGIN!!

My family and I support him . Mangin has helped many residents in different wards.He cares about ALL residents.

The Tax Collector's Office used to have 5 employees. Now it has 2.

The Assessor's Office used to have 3 emloyees. Now it has 1. the Assessor.

Where else would you like to cut?

I would cut the contract with United Water. In 2001 when we took the Water Dept.back from East Orange the customer database was a disaster. If we tried billing based on that information we would return to the deficits that led to the selling of the Water Dept in the first place.

The plan was (which I fully supported) to give the contract to United Water for one year (at $300,000). United Water would do the leg-work of cleaning up the customer database. We would then resume the billing with clean files. That was six years ago.

Increases in technology increase our efficiency. To save taxes we need to apply that efficiency and save where we can - like the United Water contract.

Jim Mangin

Maybe Paul can explain why the Mayor LIED openly in the Jersey Journal Article???  He stated that the salaries for Police and Fire are the direct result of Binding Arbitration, when there has NEVER been a Binding Arbitration for salaries for the Police Department, or for the firefighters, with the exception of the Fire Officers, who went, IIRC, 5 YEARS with no contract.  If that's mayor Santos' idea of "Negotiating in Good Faith" there's no Wonder he's no longer a practicing Attorney.

See my Letter to the Editor in this week's Observer. This is one of the many examples of mis-information that is going un-challenged lately.

Jim Mangin

Note to Paul - deliberately mis-leading the public is an excellent reason for a recall.

Guest SticksandStones
Would one who went to prison count as a bad Mayor. Or was it two who went to prison.

The current Mayor cant come to grips with the fact that those Mayors who you mention have the whole town in a real mess right now with one of the X Mayors employers. Nice only goes so far. Make the call before everyone takes a fall

Guest visitor
Every single year this Mayor has been in office TAXES have gone up and up and up, When is this Town going to wake up and throw this guy out???  Start a petition drive now to recall MAYOR SANTOS    Enough is Enough!!!!!!!!!

Obviously you are in the minority of people. So why don't you just move where the majority of people that made Kearny went. The taxes are cheaper. This way you can leave Santos and Company with their constituancy.

The Town is dirty it looks like a slum, why would you even want to go through the trouble of recalling him! All you have are discount stores moving in. I am surprised a C Town hasn't opened yet. Like it or not it is tooo late for Star Bucks

See my Letter to the Editor in this week's Observer. This is one of the many examples of mis-information that is going un-challenged lately.

Jim Mangin

Note to Paul - deliberately mis-leading the public is an excellent reason for a recall.

I read it, and appreciate that you have limited space with a letter in the local newspaper.

Bottom line on salaries is whether they are out of line compared to those in similar towns in the area. We don't want salaries too low because that will reduce the quality of vital services, and we don't want salaries too high because that's unfair to the taxpayers. So if you can, give us the numbers for police and fire salaries through the ranks, and how those numbers compare to similar area communities on average. Then, if you can, tell us how much you think could have been saved by negotiating less costly agreements with the unions. It would also be helpful to know the terms of the existing contracts, including when they are set to expire and whether increases are built into them.

I read it, and appreciate that you have limited space with a letter in the local newspaper.

Bottom line on salaries is whether they are out of line compared to those in similar towns in the area. We don't want salaries too low because that will reduce the quality of vital services, and we don't want salaries too high because that's unfair to the taxpayers. So if you can, give us the numbers for police and fire salaries through the ranks, and how those numbers compare to similar area communities on average. Then, if you can, tell us how much you think could have been saved by negotiating less costly agreements with the unions. It would also be helpful to know the terms of the existing contracts, including when they are set to expire and whether increases are built into them.

No Paul, the bottom line is not the salaries as compared to other towns. The point being made was about the Mayor’s deliberate attempt to mislead people into thinking that the police and fire salaries were set by an outside arbitrator and not the Mayor and Council.

C’mon Paul, you’re a lawyer. Don’t you recognize the fallacy in his argument?

According to the Mayor:

Kearny taxes are high because of high police and fire dept salary increases.

Police and fire salary increases are set by an outside mediator in binding arbitration.

Therefore, Kearny taxes are high because of outside forces and not the Mayor and Council.

This is simply not true. Ask any cop or fireman.

Now I can provide you with the data you ask for. I can give you a spreadsheet showing all the police and fire salaries by rank through the last three contracts. I can then take a few days off from work and visit neighboring communities and do an analysis of their police and fire salaries just for a comparison. I can literally bury you in contract data.

But my question to you is – Do you really need all this data to see that someone is trying to pull the wool over your eyes?

Still, not convinced that this Mayor routinely makes statements like this to deliberately mislead people? This weekend I’ll start a new topic called “Mayor Santos’ Deliberately Misleading Statements to the Public – Part I.” All I ask is for you to open your mind a little on the subject.

Jim Mangin

Ps – In an earlier response I promised solutions and alternatives. I’m sorry the topic has veered off into truthfulness, but it’s important that we explore these mis-statements.

A while ago I offered a series on alternatives if you’re interested in checking them out:

Kearny Taxpayer's Nightmare Part I - Rising Health Benefit Costs

Kearny Taxpayer's Nightmare - Part II - Rising Insurance Costs

Kearny Taxpayer's Nightmare - Part III - Increased Dumping Costs

No Paul, the bottom line is not the salaries as compared to other towns. The point being made was about the Mayor’s deliberate attempt to mislead people into thinking that the police and fire salaries were set by an outside arbitrator and not the Mayor and Council.

According to the Mayor:

Police and fire salary increases are set by an outside mediator in binding arbitration.

Therefore, Kearny taxes are high because of outside forces and not the Mayor and Council.

Now I can provide you with the data you ask for. I can give you a spreadsheet showing all the police and fire salaries by rank through the last three contracts. I can then take a few days off from work and visit neighboring communities and do an analysis of their police and fire salaries just for a comparison. I can literally bury you in contract data.

But my question to you is – Do you really need all this data to see that someone is trying to pull the wool over your eyes?

Still, not convinced that this Mayor routinely makes statements like this to deliberately mislead people? This weekend I’ll start a new topic called “Mayor Santos’ Deliberately Misleading Statements to the Public – Part I.” All I ask is for you to open your mind a little on the subject.

Jim Mangin

Ps – In an earlier response I promised solutions and alternatives. I’m sorry the topic has veered off into truthfulness, but it’s important that we explore these mis-statements.

A while ago I offered a series on alternatives if you’re interested in checking them out:

68256[/snapback]

This is just more cheap politics from Mangin. Jimmy, don't you realize this is why you keep losing elections. You keep saying the mayor doesn't listen, but look in the mirror, man. We're sick of politicians throwing mud. Do something constructive, then we'll listen to you, if you clean up your political reputation.

You know the only place for the mayor to make any significant cuts in outlays is with fire and police salaries, but you either don't have the guts to tell the police and firefighters that you wants their salaries cut. Or you know damn well that they're in line with other units in the area, in which case you're the liar here. You can bet that if the salaries were out of line, you'd know it.

In the end, unless the contracts are unreasonable, Mangin and all the anonymous hacks pushing a recall can't save us a dime.

According to the Mayor:

Jim Mangin

68256[/snapback]

Jim,

Here’s how I see it so far, according to what I have read and heard. This is a work in progress, so please correct me if you think I’m wrong.

You scored major points when you identified a few years ago that additional funds were available out of a $3.1 million grant. Mayor Santos missed it, the rest of the council missed it, and you found it. Every Kearny taxpayer owes you thanks for that, and you have mine.

However, the council decided not to use that money as surplus funds, but to apply to the state so that it could be used on another capital project. I can’t criticize that, and I don’t see you arguing against that project. In addition, as I understand it, you cannot use a state capital grant as surplus funds. The council heard you out, felt you didn’t understand the issue and voted to close the debate when they thought the discussion had become repetitive. That’s the other side of the story, and since I wasn’t there I can’t say who is right, but I do note that yours was the only dissenting vote. I’d like to know from you, did Al Santos unilaterally stop the discussion, or did the council vote to close it?

Whatever the answer is to that question, let’s step back and imagine that you had been mayor when this happened. Let’s imagine that you had uncovered these funds and convinced the council to treat them as surplus funds. Next thing you know, the state finds out about it and they’re calling to funds in. We taxpayers then have to come up with the money to repay the state then on what should have been a twenty-year grant. What are you going to tell us? We now have to raise additional taxes to repay the state. And why? Because Mayor Mangin didn’t understand the legal limits on the funds.

Would it have happened that way? I don’t know, but when you hang on Al’s every word, and then call these funds surplus, and every member of the council disagrees with you, you can’t expect me just to take your word for it; especially when it makes sense to me that a state capital grant would have conditions attached to it.

So then we come to your letter in yesterday’s Observer, and your response to me here. I’m not interested in watching politicians call names. It wouldn’t be the least bit difficult for me or any of your political opponents to sling back at you as hard as or harder than you’ve slung at Al. I’m not interested in that. I’m interested in whether you have any constructive suggestions for lowering our taxes and/or improving services. That’s why I’ve asked the questions, and what you’ve told me is that you don’t have the answers.

Jim, taxes are all about numbers. Unless the police and fire contracts are out of line, I can’t fault the mayor or the council for how much we’re paying in police and fire salaries. That may not be your bottom line, but it is mine, because if you’re not proposing anything that’s going to lower taxes and/or improve services, then you’re not proposing anything that’s going to improve our lives in Kearny. That’s my bottom line.

I did a little checking. My understanding is that 50% of the town budget goes to fund to the schools. The mayor can’t touch that, and the voters just approved the school budget, so that’s not on the mayor’s table. Another 20% goes to the county, according to what I’m told. The mayor can’t touch that either.

That leaves 30% of our local tax dollars that the mayor and council can budget themselves. Of that amount, 75% percent goes to salaries for police and fire. So as I understand Al’s argument, most of the spending is locked in. After all, what are you going to do, not pay the police and firefighters? They're sticking their necks out for us, and should get decent salaries for the work they do, don't you think?

RMS argues that there must be ways to cut the budget somewhere if we just look hard enough, but that doesn’t mean anything to me. It certainly doesn’t mean that it’s true, and it’s nowhere near enough of a reason for me to want to vote against the mayor, let alone recall him. I don't present my cases before I prepare them. All of this should have been researched before you guys started making these arguments.

In the end, this looks to me like a recall looking for a reason. Frankly, the more you guys write the more obvious it becomes to me that you’re firing blanks. You keep telling us about the mountains of facts you intend to present, but every time I invite you to present them you keep telling me you’ll do it later. And when you do present some facts, they tell only a part of the story. I need you to connect the dots, and you’re not doing it.

I remember an especially ugly town council meeting in the early 1990’s. It was shortly after the Florio tax increases. Daniel Sansone was mayor. The meeting was held at the Kearny High auditorium, the crowd was huge and as you might put it, boisterous. Sansone showed the crowd some numbers, but they weren’t having it. Speaker after speaker came to the microphone to blast the mayor and council, and every one of them had the answer. I remember one speaker shouting into the microphone that all town employees should take 10% salary cuts, and then I looked over at the side of the auditorium and wondered whether he'd like to tell that directly to the police officer who was standing there. Some guy kept running back and forth with a sign that read “we’ll remember come November.” Sure enough, that November, Kearny voters booted most of the council and either then or soon after that the mayor. Nothing improved, and either two or four years later the town booted those guys out. My point: the guy who yells the loudest isn’t necessarily the one with the answers.

Jim, I repeat, you’ve done our town a real and important service. You’re a bulldog, and we need bulldogs. You’re one of the few people who post at KOTW who has the guts to post his name. I hope you’ll stay in the political arena and keep an eye on taxes, contracts, expenditures, all of it. However, I think you’d be of even greater service if you would hold yourself to the same standard you demand in others.

Guest Headlines are coming

All the lies are catching up, The boys in the suits have been tickling the wires again. There is no lie these people wont tell to hurt others.

Guest Radagast
Jim,

Here’s how I see it so far, according to what I have read and heard. This is a work in progress, so please correct me if you think I’m wrong.

You scored major points when you identified a few years ago that additional funds were available out of a $3.1 million grant. Mayor Santos missed it, the rest of the council missed it, and you found it. Every Kearny taxpayer owes you thanks for that, and you have mine.

However, the council decided not to use that money as surplus funds, but to apply to the state so that it could be used on another capital project. I can’t criticize that, and I don’t see you arguing against that project. In addition, as I understand it, you cannot use a state capital grant as surplus funds. The council heard you out, felt you didn’t understand the issue and voted to close the debate when they thought the discussion had become repetitive. That’s the other side of the story, and since I wasn’t there I can’t say who is right, but I do note that yours was the only dissenting vote. I’d like to know from you, did Al Santos unilaterally stop the discussion, or did the council vote to close it?

Whatever the answer is to that question, let’s step back and imagine that you had been mayor when this happened. Let’s imagine that you had uncovered these funds and convinced the council to treat them as surplus funds. Next thing you know, the state finds out about it and they’re calling to funds in. We taxpayers then have to come up with the money to repay the state then on what should have been a twenty-year grant. What are you going to tell us? We now have to raise additional taxes to repay the state. And why? Because Mayor Mangin didn’t understand the legal limits on the funds.

Would it have happened that way? I don’t know, but when you hang on Al’s every word, and then call these funds surplus, and every member of the council disagrees with you, you can’t expect me just to take your word for it; especially when it makes sense to me that a state capital grant would have conditions attached to it.

So then we come to your letter in yesterday’s Observer, and your response to me here. I’m not interested in watching politicians call names. It wouldn’t be the least bit difficult for me or any of your political opponents to sling back at you as hard as or harder than you’ve slung at Al. I’m not interested in that. I’m interested in whether you have any constructive suggestions for lowering our taxes and/or improving services. That’s why I’ve asked the questions, and what you’ve told me is that you don’t have the answers.

Jim, taxes are all about numbers. Unless the police and fire contracts are out of line, I can’t fault the mayor or the council for how much we’re paying in police and fire salaries. That may not be your bottom line, but it is mine, because if you’re not proposing anything that’s going to lower taxes and/or improve services, then you’re not proposing anything that’s going to improve our lives in Kearny. That’s my bottom line.

I did a little checking. My understanding is that 50% of the town budget goes to fund to the schools. The mayor can’t touch that, and the voters just approved the school budget, so that’s not on the mayor’s table. Another 20% goes to the county, according to what I’m told. The mayor can’t touch that either.

That leaves 30% of our local tax dollars that the mayor and council can budget themselves. Of that amount, 75% percent goes to salaries for police and fire. So as I understand Al’s argument, most of the spending is locked in. After all, what are you going to do, not pay the police and firefighters? They're sticking their necks out for us, and should get decent salaries for the work they do, don't you think?

RMS argues that there must be ways to cut the budget somewhere if we just look hard enough, but that doesn’t mean anything to me. It certainly doesn’t mean that it’s true, and it’s nowhere near enough of a reason for me to want to vote against the mayor, let alone recall him. I don't present my cases before I prepare them. All of this should have been researched before you guys started making these arguments.

In the end, this looks to me like a recall looking for a reason. Frankly, the more you guys write the more obvious it becomes to me that you’re firing blanks. You keep telling us about the mountains of facts you intend to present, but every time I invite you to present them you keep telling me you’ll do it later. And when you do present some facts, they tell only a part of the story. I need you to connect the dots, and you’re not doing it. 

I remember an especially ugly town council meeting in the early 1990’s. It was shortly after the Florio tax increases. Daniel Sansone was mayor. The meeting was held at the Kearny High auditorium, the crowd was huge and as you might put it, boisterous. Sansone showed the crowd some numbers, but they weren’t having it. Speaker after speaker came to the microphone to blast the mayor and council, and every one of them had the answer. I remember one speaker shouting into the microphone that all town employees should take 10% salary cuts, and then I looked over at the side of the auditorium and wondered whether he'd like to tell that directly to the police officer who was standing there. Some guy kept running back and forth with a sign that read “we’ll remember come November.” Sure enough, that November, Kearny voters booted most of the council and either then or soon after that the mayor. Nothing improved, and either two or four years later the town booted those guys out. My point: the guy who yells the loudest isn’t necessarily the one with the answers.

Jim, I repeat, you’ve done our town a real and important service. You’re a bulldog, and we need bulldogs. You’re one of the few people who post at KOTW who has the guts to post his name. I hope you’ll stay in the political arena and keep an eye on taxes, contracts, expenditures, all of it. However, I think you’d be of even greater service if you would hold yourself to the same standard you demand in others.

68351[/snapback]

Paul,

I well remember the early '90s. The party that was out at the time took full advantage of the issue. It reminded me of that scene in 'Animal House' where a drum major jumped in front of an already marching parade and led them down another street.

Things have changed since then. In the '70s through the '90s, there were fist pounders at the podium at Council meetings every week, even if nothing was going on. There also used to be a viable Republican Party organization. That is in the past. The demographics in the Town have also changed since then

This tax increase would have caused a lot more noise back then. However, just because there is less noise doesn't mean the anger isn't going to eventually cause changes on the Councl. I just doubt that there is enough will to achieve the massive effort that a recall requires.

Paul,

I well remember the early '90s. The party that was out at the time took full advantage of the issue. It reminded me of that scene in 'Animal House' where a drum major jumped in front of an already marching parade and led them down another street.

Things have changed since then. In the '70s through the '90s, there were fist pounders at the podium at Council meetings every week, even if nothing was going on. There also used to be a viable Republican Party organization. That is in the past. The demographics in the Town have also changed since then

This tax increase would have caused a lot more noise back then. However, just because there is less noise doesn't mean the anger isn't going to eventually cause changes on the Councl. I just doubt that there is enough will to achieve the massive effort that a recall requires.

68507[/snapback]

I just wish this could truly be a productive discussion. If there's money to be found so we can have lower taxes, let's find it. Personally, I doubt that there's anywhere to cut, but would like to be pleasantly surprised.

Does anyone really know how the million dollars a year in debt service works? Did we borrow to pay off old debts when we were uninsured? When is that going to be paid off, if ever? What's the story with that?

Paul,

68507[/snapback]

Everyone missing the boat AND THE SAVINGS THAT COMBINING Kearny and Harrison and East Newark Fire Dep'ts., Police Dep'ts., Public Works and or Street Dep'ts., Bords of Health, Finance Dep'ts., Construction Dep'ts., Etc., Etc. would bring to the area we all know AS WEST HUDSON. I makes sense to combine all three municipalities into ONE!. ONE MAYOR, EIGHT COUNCILPEOPLE, ONE FIRE CHIEF, ONE POLICE CHIEF, ETC. The savings would be tremendous, as people retire you could balance the workforce of all three so noone would lose a job or pension etc. Ever happen in this lifetime??? Too logical??? See what the Politicians think, probably not enough local control (read money) for each politician to make it a reality!

I think the word would be "want". Before you post your opinion please learn the English language and how to construct a sentence.....

with fire and police salaries, but you either don't have the guts to tell the police and firefighters that you wants their salaries cut. Or you know damn well that