Mayor Santos running out of excuses?

Guest Town Watch

Here is a "single, realistic suggestion on reducing property taxes": have the Water Department personnel handle the water meter reading and billing rather than pay United Water over $300,000 per year.  A suggestion I made several years ago to the Mayor and council. It was rejected.

If you don't agree with the Mayor on every point you are accused of making "personal anti-Santos attacks."  I have never made any personal anti-Santos comments but I have voiced my opinion on various town issues.  My comments at any council meeting have never been personal.  The Mayor's biggest problem is that if you don't agree with him, he stops listening even if your comment makes total sense (i.e. Kuehne Chemical Plant security).

Long before I was replaced as legal counsel to the KMUA (Kearny Municipal Utility Authority), I was voicing my opinion on various Kearny issues.  The Commissioners who eventually became a majority of Santos appointments voted to replace me not because I was doing a poor job but because Santos wanted another attorney to fill the job.  That is politics and I accepted my fate. He had the votes to replace me and he did.

74421[/snapback]

John,

When your suggestion regarding the Water Department was rejected, were you told why? Were you told why you were replaced as legal counsel for KUMA?

Finally, re this: "The Mayor's biggest problem is that if you don't agree with him, he stops listening even if your comment makes total sense (i.e. Kuehne Chemical Plant security)." John, that's a personal attack. Please don't tell me that you don't see how many layers of unsubstantiated conclusions are in it.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ridiculous
Here is a "single, realistic suggestion on reducing property taxes": have the Water Department personnel handle the water meter reading and billing rather than pay United Water over $300,000 per year.  A suggestion I made several years ago to the Mayor and council. It was rejected.

If you don't agree with the Mayor on every point you are accused of making "personal anti-Santos attacks."  I have never made any personal anti-Santos comments but I have voiced my opinion on various town issues.  My comments at any council meeting have never been personal.  The Mayor's biggest problem is that if you don't agree with him, he stops listening even if your comment makes total sense (i.e. Kuehne Chemical Plant security).

Long before I was replaced as legal counsel to the KMUA (Kearny Municipal Utility Authority), I was voicing my opinion on various Kearny issues.  The Commissioners who eventually became a majority of Santos appointments voted to replace me not because I was doing a poor job but because Santos wanted another attorney to fill the job.  That is politics and I accepted my fate. He had the votes to replace me and he did.

74421[/snapback]

You're probably the only person who tries to argue with a straight face that making government bigger would save taxes! The service was privatized via bid and United Water was the low bidder. At the council meeting you didn't attend, a cost analysis was done showing the minimum level of additional staffing (5 full-timers) that would be needed for the town to do billing, collecting and meter reading. John, if you think it can be done by current employees, tell us who exactly. If you think the guy fixing the water main breaks will do billing or that the gal responsible for monthly water reports and operations of the transmission system will do collecting, you are either clueless with respect to the current staffing of the water department or you're being deliberately misleading.

Also, could you provide examples to back up your statement that "Long before I was replaced as legal counsel to the KMUA (Kearny Municipal Utility Authority), I was voicing my opinion on various Kearny issues."? Make sure you date the "opinions", where they were "voiced" and the date of your termination on the KMUA.

You're probably the only person who tries to argue with a straight face that making government bigger would save taxes!  The service was privatized via bid and United Water was the low bidder.  At the council meeting you didn't attend, a cost analysis was done showing the minimum level of additional staffing (5 full-timers) that would be needed for the town to do billing, collecting and meter reading.  John, if you think it can be done by current employees, tell us who exactly.  If you think the guy fixing the water main breaks will do billing or that the gal responsible for monthly water reports and operations of the transmission system will do collecting, you are either clueless with respect to the current staffing of the water department or you're being deliberately misleading.

Also, could you provide examples to back up your statement that "Long before I was replaced as legal counsel to the KMUA (Kearny Municipal Utility Authority), I was voicing my opinion on various Kearny issues."?  Make sure you date the "opinions", where they were "voiced" and the date of your termination on the KMUA.

74537[/snapback]

The crew at the water Dept. don't repair the water mains any more, a contractor dose the repairs. In the past Dept. employees addressed all the repairs and did the meter readings. I guess Al should sell the water Dept. They would save a big chunk of money that way. Of course the family that runs the water Dept. wouldn't like that so much. Get rid of D'Arco and save money by the ton. And that's the truth......!

Guest Recall Mayor Santos

74421[/snapback]

Compare the legal bills, I bet John Pincho's were cheaper. Paul, I truly believe that you will never disagree with this Mayor and that you think he walks on air. As a well payed legal professional its very easy to pay these huge tax increases, the average taxpayer dosen't see it that way. Your defending the wrong side of the tax issue and if this was a courtroom the jury in the end would side with the little guy,and not the high priced lawyer that could afford these HUGE Tax Increases. Hope your ready to take your argument on taxes to the street, because we believe our message will result in thousands of signatures. Have a Happy Holiday Paul to you and your family and to all who support this Mayor. See you in 2008!

Compare the legal bills, I bet John Pincho's were cheaper.

Call me crazy, but I wouldn't make a decision about an issue like this based on a 'bet.' What is your response to this post?

http://forums.kearnyontheweb.com/index.php...indpost&p=74537

Paul,  I truly believe that you will never disagree with this Mayor and that you think he walks on air. As a well payed legal professional its very easy to pay these huge tax increases, the average taxpayer dosen't see it that way.

What would this have to do with anything? The fact is you haven't proved that there's any real way to lower taxes without having to give something up in return. Nothing but empty claims coming from you; don't forget that.

Your defending the wrong side of the tax issue and if this was a courtroom  the jury in the end would side with the little guy,and not the high priced lawyer that could afford these HUGE Tax Increases.

If it was a courtroom, what would the case be? And any jury who would side with someone just because he makes less money isn't a good jury--that's just bias, plain and simple. Fact is, if you were under the burden of even a civil court, you wouldn't be able to win any kind of case, considering you have no hard evidence. Do you think before you type?

Hope your ready to take your argument on taxes to the street, because we believe our message will result in thousands of signatures.

"We" indeed. The same crowd that you threatened to "storm" a months-ago meeting with, I presume?

You can probably get a lot of signatures if you lie, but if you're honest about the fact that you have no proven-to-be-viable solution to the tax level, you'll be mostly ignored just like you are here.

Empty claims will get you nowhere--don't forget that.

John,

When your suggestion regarding the Water Department was rejected, were you told why? Were you told why you were replaced as legal counsel for KUMA?

Finally, re this: "The Mayor's biggest problem is that if you don't agree with him, he stops listening even if your comment makes total sense (i.e. Kuehne Chemical Plant security)." John, that's a personal attack. Please don't tell me that you don't see how many layers of unsubstantiated conclusions are in it.

74426[/snapback]

Paul,

With respect to the Water Department, the rationale as I understood it was that the data from the East Orange Water Commission was poor and the town needed someone to work through the data to get it straightened out. In addition, there were not enough personnel, at that time, to handle fixing the data, read the meters, and bill the water accounts. It was suppose to be a temporary fix.

As far as my comment on the Mayor, please let me know how that's a personal attack. Show me the "many layers of unsubstantiated conclusions".

You're probably the only person who tries to argue with a straight face that making government bigger would save taxes!  The service was privatized via bid and United Water was the low bidder.  At the council meeting you didn't attend, a cost analysis was done showing the minimum level of additional staffing (5 full-timers) that would be needed for the town to do billing, collecting and meter reading.  John, if you think it can be done by current employees, tell us who exactly.  If you think the guy fixing the water main breaks will do billing or that the gal responsible for monthly water reports and operations of the transmission system will do collecting, you are either clueless with respect to the current staffing of the water department or you're being deliberately misleading.

No, I'm not the only person who tries to argue with a straight face that making government bigger would save taxes. What I'm saying is that:

1. We are paying United Water to read meters but they are from my vantage point not reading the meters on a regular basis. We are paying for reading and billing of water meters. United Water is only billing but not reading the meters. We are paying for a job they are not performing.

2. The town has hired additional personnel for the water department. Are those persons fully occupied that they cannot handle the billing with the aid of a computer software package and a couple of printers?

Enlighten me on how many people work for the Kearny Water Department and provide their job titles and description of their jobs.

Also, could you provide examples to back up your statement that "Long before I was replaced as legal counsel to the KMUA (Kearny Municipal Utility Authority), I was voicing my opinion on various Kearny issues."?  Make sure you date the "opinions", where they were "voiced" and the date of your termination on the KMUA.

That would take too much time. But you can ask Mayor Santos about our history going back to the Democratic primary for Mayor (when was that 9 years ago?) My opinions were voiced both at council meetings and in private to whoever would stop to listen.

Compare the legal bills, I bet John Pincho's were cheaper. Paul,  I truly believe that you will never disagree with this Mayor and that you think he walks on air. As a well payed legal professional its very easy to pay these huge tax increases, the average taxpayer dosen't see it that way. Your defending the wrong side of the tax issue and if this was a courtroom  the jury in the end would side with the little guy,and not the high priced lawyer that could afford these HUGE Tax Increases. Hope your ready to take your argument on taxes to the street, because we believe our message will result in thousands of signatures. Have a Happy Holiday Paul to you and your family and to all who support this Mayor. See you in 2008!

74674[/snapback]

You're wrong about me. I do make a good income, but I'm no more interested in throwing my money away than you are. I'll support reasonable ideas and reasonable criticisms of this Mayor, but you have to have them. It's obvious that you don't.

Whether you can get signatures is another matter. There are plenty of people who don't think, but only react and some of them may sign a petition. That doesn't mean they're acting wisely.

The other point about this is that you have no credibility. Sooner or later, if you're going to lead or help lead this campaign, you're going to have to put your name and face to it.

Guest Comparer
Compare the legal bills, I bet John Pincho's were cheaper. Paul,  I truly believe that you will never disagree with this Mayor and that you think he walks on air. As a well payed legal professional its very easy to pay these huge tax increases, the average taxpayer dosen't see it that way. Your defending the wrong side of the tax issue and if this was a courtroom  the jury in the end would side with the little guy,and not the high priced lawyer that could afford these HUGE Tax Increases. Hope your ready to take your argument on taxes to the street, because we believe our message will result in thousands of signatures. Have a Happy Holiday Paul to you and your family and to all who support this Mayor. See you in 2008!

74674[/snapback]

Yes, let's compare. Hey, John, how much did you earn while attorney for the Kearny Municipal Utilities Authority?: _____________________

(By the way, my guess is more than $200,000.)

As far as my comment on the Mayor, please let me know how that's a personal attack.  Show me the "many layers of unsubstantiated conclusions".

74887[/snapback]

John, if one of us asked a witness a question calling for any of the following statements, do you think an objection would be sustained as calling for a conclusion? I think so:

1. "If you don't agree with the Mayor on every point you are accused of making 'personal anti-Santos attacks.'"

2. "The Mayor's biggest problem is that if you don't agree with him, he stops listening even if your comment makes total sense (i.e. Kuehne Chemical Plant security)."

3. "The Commissioners who eventually became a majority of Santos appointments voted to replace me not because I was doing a poor job but because Santos wanted another attorney to fill the job."

Each of those statements, if made by a witness in court, would be stricken as conclusory. None of them is substantiated on this forum. I want facts, and more particularly, I want facts that will help me understand the issues better.

Guest Ridiculous II
No, I'm not the only person who tries to argue with a straight face that making government bigger would save taxes.  What I'm saying is that:

1. We are paying United Water to read meters but they are from my vantage point not reading the meters on a regular basis. We are paying for reading and billing of water meters.  United Water is only billing but not reading the meters.  We are paying for a job they are not performing.

2.  The town has hired additional personnel for the water department.  Are those persons fully occupied that they cannot handle the billing with the aid of a computer software package and a couple of printers?

Enlighten me on how many people work for the Kearny Water Department and provide their job titles and description of their jobs.

That would take too much time.  But you can ask Mayor Santos about our history going back to the Democratic primary for Mayor (when was that 9 years ago?)  My opinions were voiced both at council meetings and in private to whoever would stop to listen.

74890[/snapback]

John,

I can't think of anyone who thinks making government bigger saves money, not even anyone on the left. There may be all sorts of good reasons for government taking something on, but doing it for less money usually is not on that list!

1. United Water reads meters, bills accounts and collects on accounts. There are about 10,000 accounts/meters. At the meeting you missed, it was said half don't get good readings because they're telephone meters that break down regularly. The meters belong to Kearny, not United Water. It's not United Water's doing. The other half are mostly manual and electronic-read meters. So United Water does 5,000 good readings and another 5,000 that gets delayed or estimated or re-read manually because of the faulty technology.

2. 1 Water Superintendent, 1 Asst. Super and 2 water repairmen who repair water lines every day. There's also 1 Admin Clerk and 1 Asst. Clerk who handle monthly reporting requirements.

Meter reading would require at least 2 people but if you want the telephone meters manually read, you probably need 4 or 5 full-time meter readers. As to billing, if you think by pressing a button you bill ALL 10,000 accounts (some are monthly, some are quarterly), collect all of them, properly deposit and account for all payments, reconcile mispayments (over or under payments) and meter reading errors, you're way wrong.

John, as to your final comment, what a dodge! Apparently you do have the time, so please enlighten us with at least some of the issues you raised against the Kearny Mayor back then. When Santos first ran?? You've got to be kidding, you were a Harrison resident at the time!

Guest Recall Mayor Santos
John,

I can't think of anyone who thinks making government bigger saves money, not even anyone on the left.  There may be all sorts of good reasons for government taking something on, but doing it for less money usually is not on that list!

1.  United Water reads meters, bills accounts and collects on accounts.  There are about 10,000 accounts/meters.  At the meeting you missed, it was said half don't get good readings because they're telephone meters that break down regularly.  The meters belong to Kearny, not United Water.  It's not United Water's doing.  The other half are mostly manual and electronic-read meters.  So United Water does 5,000 good readings and another 5,000 that gets delayed or estimated or re-read manually because of the faulty technology.

2.  1 Water Superintendent, 1 Asst. Super and 2 water repairmen who repair water lines every day.  There's also 1 Admin Clerk and 1 Asst. Clerk who handle monthly reporting requirements. 

Meter reading would require at least 2 people but if you want the telephone meters manually read, you probably need 4 or 5 full-time meter readers.  As to billing, if you think by pressing a button you bill ALL 10,000 accounts (some are monthly, some are quarterly), collect all of them, properly deposit and account for all payments, reconcile mispayments (over or under payments) and meter reading errors, you're way wrong.

John, as to your final comment, what a dodge!  Apparently you do have the time, so please enlighten us with at least some of the issues you raised against the Kearny Mayor back then.  When Santos first ran??  You've got to be kidding, you were a Harrison resident at the time!

75230[/snapback]

I guess it was alright for Mayor Santos to possibly live in Newark at one time?

75394[/snapback]

lol, you can't even say it without saying "possibly," yet you manage to construct the rest of the sentence as if it's the most obvious thing in the world.

Hey, by the way, you never answered my question. How many supporters do you have? I'm not even asking for names or any personally identifiable information, just a number. Why haven't you answered it? Too ashamed of the answer, maybe?

Guest The Truth Bites

75394[/snapback]

I guess your answer means John Pinho was not active in Kearny politics (as he said earlier) when he lived in Harrison. John's silence also probably means he made at least $200,000 as a lawyer for the Kearny utilities authority that was paid by Kearny property owners. So, when faced with the truth, John resorts to throwing mud at the Mayor. It really, really must bite.

Guest Perplexed
Paul,

With respect to the Water Department, the rationale as I understood it was that the data from the East Orange Water Commission was poor and the town needed someone to work through the data to get it straightened out.  In addition, there were not enough personnel, at that time, to handle fixing the data, read the meters, and bill the water accounts. It was suppose to be a temporary fix.

As far as my comment on the Mayor, please let me know how that's a personal attack.  Show me the "many layers of unsubstantiated conclusions".

74887[/snapback]

Hypothetical question for these two lawyers. If a Mayor or council person tells individuals known to an accident victim and not known to an accident victim that the individual was never hurt from an eye witnessed accident that was Police documented, Where the individual was taken to the hospital via ambulance and the accident victim has several open lacerations and an open bone wound from a compound shoulder fracture. They have corrective surgeries where a ruptured knee meniscus was resected and ligament repaired, A crushed body organ and ligament were removed from a shoulder. A torso body cast was installed for compression spinal fractures for six months and a leg cast for stability for three months. The victim goes to court and the accident event is stipulated to by all parties and a settlement is accepted by the trier of facts. What crimes have the Mayor and or council members committed in this type of legal scenario if they are telling people that the accident never happened and the individual was never hurt.

75394[/snapback]

It doesn't matter your all doomed, you live in Nj and that makes you screwed. You can vote republican or democrat there is no difference. YOUR ALL SCREWED. Unless your Paul and are able to afford all these taxes and surcharges.

John, if one of us asked a witness a question calling for any of the following statements, do you think an objection would be sustained as calling for a conclusion? I think so:

1. "If you don't agree with the Mayor on every point you are accused of making 'personal anti-Santos attacks.'" 

2. "The Mayor's biggest problem is that if you don't agree with him, he stops listening even if your comment makes total sense (i.e. Kuehne Chemical Plant security)."

3. "The Commissioners who eventually became a majority of Santos appointments voted to replace me not because I was doing a poor job but because Santos wanted another attorney to fill the job."

Each of those statements, if made by a witness in court, would be stricken as conclusory. None of them is substantiated on this forum. I want facts, and more particularly, I want facts that will help me understand the issues better.

75006[/snapback]

Paul,

I am expressing my opinion based on first hand knowledge. My statement is based in fact. When I raised (along with former Councilwoman Rosa Alves and her husband Frank Ferreira) the security issue with the Kuehne Chemical plant, Mayor Santos stopped listening and accused us of "grandstanding". Former Councilwoman Alves had had some politically based disagreements with Mayor Santos, therefore the Mayor stopped listening even if what the councilwoman was saying made total sense. The Mayor has since changed his mind on Kuehne.

As far as the KMUA, my statement is fact. You want me to lay a foundation. My foundation is I signed this post with my name. If I was trying the case, I would call the former commissioners and I would lay the foundation through their testimony. I'm not trying a case, I'm making a statement on a discussion board. I stand by my statement.

1.  United Water reads meters, bills accounts and collects on accounts.

No. They bill and collect but don't read meters. They estimate bills. The bid documents should say bill and collect and only read a small percentage of the water meters. We would then get lower bids for the work.

There are about 10,000 accounts/meters.  At the meeting you missed, it was said half don't get good readings because they're telephone meters that break down regularly

My understanding is the town bonded years ago to replace the meters. What happened to that money? Harrison has a remote reader where the meter reader scans from the outside of the house the remote reader and they perform their own meter reading. Water is billed quarterly so even if you estimated 3 of 4 quarters you would catch up at the end of the year. United Water didn't do that with my bill. Does your bill say "Reading Type" Estimated?

The meters belong to Kearny, not United Water.  It's not United Water's doing.  The other half are mostly manual and electronic-read meters.  So United Water does 5,000 good readings and another 5,000 that gets delayed or estimated or re-read manually because of the faulty technology.

United Water did not read my meter for years. They are under contract to read all the meters. There is simply no reason why they are not doing the job.

1 Water Superintendent, 1 Asst. Super and 2 water repairmen who repair water lines every day.  There's also 1 Admin Clerk and 1 Asst. Clerk who handle monthly reporting requirements

6 people in the water department.

Meter reading would require at least 2 people but if you want the telephone meters manually read, you probably need 4 or 5 full-time meter readers.  As to billing, if you think by pressing a button you bill ALL 10,000 accounts (some are monthly, some are quarterly), collect all of them, properly deposit and account for all payments, reconcile mispayments (over or under payments) and meter reading errors, you're way wrong.

Fix the meters with remote scans and you can read the meters (in house) with the personel we have. If you're afraid our water department personnel can't handle payments, send the payments through the tax collector's office or outsource it to a bank (cheaper than United Water).

John, as to your final comment, what a dodge!  Apparently you do have the time, so please enlighten us with at least some of the issues you raised against the Kearny Mayor back then.  When Santos first ran??  You've got to be kidding, you were a Harrison resident at the time!

I walked door to door with former Councilman and Mayoral candidate Ed Callaghan. I was involved in Kearny even before I became a resident.

I guess your answer means John Pinho was not active in Kearny politics (as he said earlier) when he lived in Harrison.  John's silence also probably means he made at least $200,000 as a lawyer for the Kearny utilities authority that was paid by Kearny property owners.  So, when faced with the truth, John resorts to throwing mud at the Mayor.  It really, really must bite.

75481[/snapback]

I answered the "how much money I made while working for the KMUA" question above. As you can see it is way below the imagined $200,000.

I am not throwing mud but expressing my opinions frankly. I will state that despite my disagreement with the Mayor on certain issues, I respect him and the job he is doing as Mayor. I do not however give him a free pass as many others do.

Guest Dodging Again
I reviewed my records, I made no more than $36,000 per year from work performed on behalf of the KMUA.

75604[/snapback]

John, What's the total? You should know to the penny. Your answer is deliberately misleading.

Guest That's it?
Paul,

I am expressing my opinion based on first hand knowledge.  My statement is based in fact.  When I raised (along with former Councilwoman Rosa Alves and her husband Frank Ferreira) the security issue with the Kuehne Chemical plant, Mayor Santos stopped listening and accused us of "grandstanding".  Former Councilwoman Alves had had some politically based disagreements with Mayor Santos, therefore the Mayor stopped listening even if what the councilwoman was saying made total sense. The Mayor has since changed his mind on Kuehne.

As far as the KMUA, my statement is fact.  You want me to lay a foundation.  My foundation is I signed this post with my name.  If I was trying the case, I would call the former commissioners and I would lay the foundation through their testimony.  I'm not trying a case, I'm making a statement on a discussion board.  I stand by my statement.

75607[/snapback]

The only issue you can come up with as critical of Santos is Keuhne Chemical? That's it?

I'm curious, what did you want the Mayor and Council to do? Did you want them to tell the United States Office of Homeland Security how to do their job?

Guest Still Ridiculous
No.  They bill and collect but don't read meters.  They estimate bills.  The bid documents should say bill and collect and only read a small percentage of the water meters.  We would then get lower bids for the work.

My understanding is the town bonded years ago to replace the meters.  What happened to that money?  Harrison has a remote reader where the meter reader scans from the outside of the house the remote reader and they perform their own meter reading.  Water is billed quarterly so even if you estimated 3 of 4 quarters you would catch up at the end of the year.  United Water didn't do that with my bill.  Does your bill say "Reading Type" Estimated?

United Water did not read my meter for years.  They are under contract to read all the meters.  There is simply no reason why they are not doing the job.

6 people in the water department.

Fix the meters with remote scans and you can read the meters (in house) with the personel we have.  If you're afraid our water department personnel can't handle payments, send the payments through the tax collector's office or outsource it to a bank (cheaper than United Water).

I walked door to door with former Councilman and Mayoral candidate Ed Callaghan.  I was involved in Kearny even before I became a resident.

75611[/snapback]

No, United Water reads meters. John, you really don't know how many meters there are, what kinds there are and how they're read other than the telephone meters which everyone knows fail repeatedly. You should have gone to the Council meeting.

No, my bill is not estimated, it's manually read by United Water. If you had gone to the Council meeting, you'd know there's a schedule for replacing the telephone meters with remote read meters with bonded funds.

John, what kind of water meter do you have in your house? Is it a telephone meter? If so, see above.

6 people in the water department, four of which have to fix and maintain water lines for the whole town. You want them to bill and collect?! If you think 10,000 accounts can be billed, collected and accounted for with existing personnel, you're way wrong. Show me any water utility anywhere that does it the way you say it can be done. Show me which Tax Collector's office (and the number of people in their office) or which "outsourced bank" (and what they charge for doing that).

John, what does walking door to door with Ed Callaghan have to do with Santos?

I can't believe some of you people are STILL parroting Frank and his Kuehne campaign.... I'd like to see someone try to enter that site now..methinks whoever did so would find himself face-planted into some VERY hard concrete and in handcuffs LONG before he would even get ON the property.