No Contract For 3 Years

Guest FireFighter

Guest Guest 1
My kids would like to know what Santa is bringing them this year! Can you please help me. See because of you my salary has been the same for over 3 years. The cost of living has gone up in that time with the economy getting better but my salary ia still the same. That leads me to make cuts in other things. God Bless You this up coming year if you can help my family at this christmas time.

Shame on you. Not funny. Your post is a mockery to the families who really have nothing this and every Christmas and believe me they're out there. Sorry, you lost me.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Mayor Screwged

I understand that not all people will have apathy for me. Therefore your comments are noted but not appreciated. As for my post it is true and I know I am not the most unfortunate or fortunate for that matter. My intentions are to remind people I am human and have a family who feels my pain.

Guest Mr Potato Head
Whine!!! Whine!!! Whine!!! You Whining!!! Greedy!!! Greedy!!! Greedy!!! Firefighter!!! :P

3/4 Of you Firefighters, Don't live in Town!!!! And "I" as a taxpayer!!! Has had about all I can take!!!! ;)  If you  don't like your  "job" :D  Then hand your papers in :D You Whiningly, Whining, Whiner!!!!!! :D

Because there are many of Men and Women!! That would love to have your job!!

Here comes Newark, Trash, trash, trash, and more trash.

FlagMann.

:D Happy for the town you did not pass the fire test! If you did you would have to take care of the good people of this town you call "muts" and "trash" :D So be careful the oil is very hot in the french fry bin dont burn yourself. :D

the funny thing is.........you and the guy flipping burgers have the same level of education, the difference is he can actually give his boss a reason why he deserves a raise. I have yet to see any good reasons for the KFD. Oh, I forgot ,you passed a test. That probably means something to someone somewhere. :lol:

Guest I was there

I guess you werent the guy trapped in his car at that accident, or the son/daughter of the man who was in full arrest who was saved, or the owner of the house that was on fire, or the little kid in school that was taught what to do if his clothes were on fire, hell even the owners of the dog floating on a chunck of ice down the passaic, dude get a better argument!!!

Guest A Helping Hand

There's so much bickering going on here about what the KFD does and does not do, it's getting quite annoying. I think that it's only one or two somewhat jealous people in town, who post here, that feel this way.

Let's see how fast the KPD settles with the town, now that their contract is coming to an end. Why are the firemen being treated so poorly by the people in charge? It seems everytime that they're up for renewal, it's a minimum of two years for a settlement, but this is just not right, over 3 yrs?

The police have the town by the b@lls, that's why. Did you ever hear of a ticket blitz? They'll ticket every vehicle in town that's illegally parked including UPS, FedEX, Delivery trucks, etc. until those companies won't bother coming to Kearny until it's over. It happened a few years ago and I'm sure I'm not the only one who remembers this.

On the other hand, firemen aren't going to let someone stayed trapped in their vehicle or a burning building. They won't deny help to anyone in need of it, that's what they're here for, to help. There is no upper hand when it comes to the KFD, so they have to sit back and eat s**t until then.

I hope this gets settled soon, so everyone can go back to writing about everything else that they love to hate about our town. <_<

Guest Firefighter

Is Mr. Potato Head just your user name, or is it actually what you use to process thought.

As a firefighter in town, and one of several with a college degree, I can find better logic from the guy that flips the burger than you can ever hope to muster.

And just in case you are also college educated, I contend that you are living proof that you can be both educated and a moron.

Guest Spirit of Chantilly

While I am sure that the fireman appreciate your support, (and I support their cause as well), I have to disagree with part of your argument.

While it is certain that the KPD has greater leverage with regards to negotiations, I can remember in years past the KPD being years without a contract as well.

My point being, I feel that what the FD is currently going through is more a testament to the way this administration and town treats contract negotiations, than the lack of leverage of their position.

This is just my opinion, but when it happens over and over again, the fault has to lie with the common denominator. Curious also, that this only started when we started to employ Business Administrators. Wondering what the SAVINGS on prolonged and drawn out contract talks are. Any thoughts?

Guest Resident

The problem is that Mayor Santos lives on $7,000 per year and therefore he thinks a fireman's salary is a lot of money. He does not realize that everyone else has a family and a fireman's salary is not a lot of money. If we cut down Town Attorney Greg Castano's & Associates bill from $500,000+ to a $300,000 cap we would have $200,000 to put towards the fireman's retro. If Castano does not want the job, there are plenty of firms who would take on the job. Someone needs to look at the line items in the budget to find the money otherwise both the Fireman's & Police Contracts cannot be settled. Councilman Mangin tried to look at the line items but nobody else on the council was apparently listing. Mayor Santos called him reckless and irresponsible. Maybe the Mayor can cap some of the professional fees, attorney, town engineer, before he rehires folks at the Reorganization meeting, January 1st.

Of course the KPD has leverage when it comes to negotiations. They bargain as ONE!!!!!!!!

When you try to negociate a shift change & the town wants alot in return, that's when the bickering & the division takes place. The KPD is supposedly looking for a shift change, Good Luck!

Guest TDOK_Guest

:P I don't know what you are all worried about.

(A) The Town has settled all the contracts with all the other unions in town

(:ph34r: The raises have all been the same

© The Town should have anticipated what raise the Fire Department would be getting

(D) The Town should have been setting aside the money for the anticipated raise

(E) When the Fire department settles, the FD shall get paid what they are owed.

So what is the big deal, you will get what your owed.

Till their house is on fire........... :P

yeah, then they'll say let it burn.

The one thing most seem to forget is that while those who strike let people wait for their goods to ship, let subs teach thier children, disrupt what ever service that may be served while those are on strike over contracts, Firefighters still respond , do the best they can for the person in need of help and after whatever the problem was is taken care of, then go back and try and settle contracts ...so it also seems that these mayor's ,councils and Business Administrators know this and play their games ...That's truely what it really is A big political game where they know who has the upper hand ...Just Hope they are Happy and Enjoy Their wonderful Fruitful Holiday Season and as they go to this years reorganization (Laugh) meeting they remember most police and fireman last through an average of 4 sets of elected (laugh) officials in the careers they dedicate to this town.

Happy New Year To ALL

Guest pulltheotherone
what's a Kearny captain and deputy chiefs make? How about a fireman? what is the annual raise for a fireman after he's hired ? What kind of health benefits do they get? Maybe the voters should decide how much they get paid? My guess is that it would be just like the school budget, it'd go down. why? because most residents don't get the pay and benefits they get.

Maybe thats because the citizens don't run into burning buildings...they run out. :angry:

Guest pulltheotherone
Now that's an angry Firefighter! :angry:

,but I have to say that I think he's right. :D

Al & Joe should take a long walk off of a short pier. :D

Good luck Guys :huh:

KOTW Note: The Guest name used in this post was edited. Please refrain from using profanity in Guest names. Your post may be edited or deleted if it contains profanity or anything close to profanity.

Now lets think this out....if Al and Joe walk off a pier...the Fire Department would have to save them....if they only had a boat.... :ph34r:

Guest villageidiot
Whine!!! Whine!!! Whine!!! You Whining!!! Greedy!!! Greedy!!! Greedy!!! Firefighter!!! :D

3/4 Of you Firefighters, Don't live in Town!!!! And "I" as a taxpayer!!! Has had about all I can take!!!! :ph34r: If you don't like your "job" :huh: Then hand your papers in :D You Whiningly, Whining, Whiner!!!!!! :D

FlagMann.

I remember my first beer too. :angry:

Guest villageidiot
looks like the gravy trains comin to a halt. :huh:

You know...if the gravy train tips over...the Fire Dept. would have to respond...as that would constitue as a hazardous material.....too bad the Fire Dept does not have a Haz-Mat team.......spilled gravy could be messy....Happy Holidays! :D:angry::ph34r::D

Guest Shameonyou
Whine!!! Whine!!! Whine!!! You Whining!!! Greedy!!! Greedy!!! Greedy!!! Firefighter!!! :D

3/4 Of you Firefighters, Don't live in Town!!!! And "I" as a taxpayer!!! Has had about all I can take!!!! :ph34r:  If you  don't like your  "job" :D  Then hand your papers in :D You Whiningly, Whining, Whiner!!!!!! :D

FlagMann.

:D Happy for the town you did not pass the fire test! If you did you would have to take care of the good people of this town you call "muts" and "trash" :D So be careful the oil is very hot in the french fry bin dont burn yourself. :huh:

the funny thing is.........you and the guy flipping burgers have the same level of education, the difference is he can actually give his boss a reason why he deserves a raise. I have yet to see any good reasons for the KFD. Oh, I forgot ,you passed a test. That probably means something to someone somewhere. :angry:

There were once 343 firefighters who did nothing other than come to work one day....now they can't even do that...firefighters don't deserve a fair raise? Think again :(

All other arguments aside, after reaching age thirty five, both police and firemen, are precluded, by state law, from accepting and/or testing for police or fire job anywhere within the state. There is no other trade or profession, barring military, in the USA where such a restriction exists. Whether you are a lawyer, teacher or a farmer you can move as you please throughout the employment realm. Police Officers and Fire Fighters have to make a career commitment to the comunity in which they work at, or prior to, age thirty five. I believe that this commitment is, or should be, mutual. Politicians come and go like the seasons, but, Police and Firemen will be to their around for at least 25 years before they can even think about severing their ties to the comunity.

Guest I pity Them
All other arguments aside, after reaching age thirty five, both police and firemen, are precluded, by state law, from accepting and/or testing for police or fire job anywhere within the state. There is no other trade or profession, barring military, in the USA where such a restriction exists. Whether you are a lawyer, teacher or a farmer you can move as you please throughout the employment realm. Police Officers and Fire Fighters have to make a career commitment to the comunity in which they work at, or prior to, age thirty five. I believe that this commitment is, or should be, mutual. Politicians come and go like the seasons, but, Police and Firemen will be to their around for at least 25 years before they can even think about severing their ties to the comunity.

You know...its gone on long enough....whats being hidden...nothing....the town spent the money they didn't have to put in the fire and police pensions...dumb move....didn't put money away for the potetial firefighter raises....dumber move...and then try to rape the firefighters finacially for 24 hour shifts...which are PROVEN to save the town money......dumbest move yet. So why do they wait...while everyone complains about how much the firefighters make, and do nothing except risk thier lives for the mostly ungrateful. I pity you, Town of Kearny...you are led by either the uninformed...the ungrateful...the uncaring...may God have mercy on your souls.

Archived