No Contract For 3 Years

Guest FireFighter

Guest FireFighter

Mr Mangin,

Is the town making any effort to settle the firefighters contract?

As you know, it has been over 3 years without a contract. As a firefighter and a homeowner in town i would like to know.

Thank you.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest FirefighterTwo

Councilwoman Cifelli-Pettigrew:

Is the town making any effort to settle the firefighters contract?

As you know, it has been over 3 years without a contract. As a firefighter and a homeowner in town i would like to know.

Thank you.

I was told that the town administrator (D'arco) has a problem with the Kearny Fire Dept, since he was defeated by Clifton's Fire Dept when he worked for that town. So it seems that he has the Mayor believing that he can accomplish here in Kearny, what he couldn't before in Clifton. So in the meantime, the town and the FD's union are spending countless amounts of money on negotiations & lawyers, all because of one man's agenda. This is at least one reason why the contract is being held up, So I'm told.

Guest GuestHostess

what's a Kearny captain and deputy chiefs make? How about a fireman? what is the annual raise for a fireman after he's hired ? What kind of health benefits do they get? Maybe the voters should decide how much they get paid? My guess is that it would be just like the school budget, it'd go down. why? because most residents don't get the pay and benefits they get.

Guest,

What was it in Clifton that he is now trying to accomplish in Kearny??

JW

24 hour shifts

That is not giving the firemen the shift change & creating litagation.

How can the Kearny Fire Department operate with the 24-houre shifts?

How many other fire departments operate with them?

Will it save me money as a home owner in town?

How can the Kearny Fire Department operate with the 24-houre shifts?

How many other fire departments operate with them?

Will it save me money as a home owner in town?

It's the same amount of hours yearly as the schedule that is used now. Kearny is the only town in Hudson County that does not have the 24 hr. shift & there are only a few Dept.'s in the state not working the 24 hour shift. Jersey City has had them since 1988. There are only financial benefits to the town by implementing this type of shift & thats a proven fact!

Has progress been made in our fire contract negotiations? Yes, I believe so. But not nearly enough to suit my tastes. I think the problem is that the Town Council does not take an active enough role in the negotiation process.

When I was a Board of Ed member I was a member of the board's negotiating team. We sat face to face with the teachers at bargaining sessions. Town Council members are not as involved in contract negotiations, and I think that's wrong. After receiving an update last night on the status of our negotiations I feel more strongly than ever that if we want to get this contract settled as soon as possible the Town Council is going to have to start doing their homework and studying the issues more closely. I would encourage anyone who wants to see a contract settlement to keep the pressure up on elected officials (and yes, that includes me!).

Councilman Jim Mangin

Has progress been made in our fire contract negotiations? Yes, I believe so. But not nearly enough to suit my tastes. I think the problem is that the Town Council does not take an active enough role in the negotiation process.

When I was a Board of Ed member I was a member of the board's negotiating team. We sat face to face with the teachers at bargaining sessions. Town Council members are not as involved in contract negotiations, and I think that's wrong. After receiving an update last night on the status of our negotiations I feel more strongly than ever that if we want to get this contract settled as soon as possible the Town Council is going to have to start doing their homework and studying the issues more closely. I would encourage anyone who wants to see a contract settlement to keep the pressure up on elected officials (and yes, that includes me!).

Councilman Jim Mangin

Your so right Jim. In the meantime the bills for the litagation just keep escalating. At this rate any raise will just go to pay for our tax increase!

Why do firemen have to work shifts that require them to sleep and cook

on company time during their shifts in the firehouse? It seems that this

is an accepted practice for so long that nobody asks why... why not just

work 8 hour shifts and go home like everyone else?

I'm sure overlapping shifts would cover shift changes...

Any responses?

Why do firemen have to work shifts that require them to sleep and cook

on company time during their shifts in the firehouse? It seems that this

is an accepted practice for so long that nobody asks why... why not just

work 8 hour shifts and go home like everyone else?

I'm sure overlapping shifts would cover shift changes...

Any responses?

Firemen are not everyone else. If you could pass the test, you would know the answers to your own ?'s. Why don't you run for public office, then everything would be just like you think it should be! You should be ashamed of yourself talking trash about firemen on this day!!! The only accepted practice of a firemens job is they might die today! God Bless our Brothers who can't answer this dispicalble person's ?'s. To bad those 343 NY firefighters are not sleeping tonight in the firehouse & the fireman cook won't be making them breakfast when they wake up!!!!!!!!!!

Dear Guest,

Today September 11 is a solemn day. I had to go to work and walk into a public building and I recalled exactly where I was 2 years ago. You are right that Joe H's post seems inappropriate (if that is the correct word) given the loses of two years ago. I do not think that Joe H's question was meant to be insensitive (although in retrospect he may think it was) especially today. I am not a firefighter but I can understand that living together helps build a powerful bond between men. Let's discuss this issue tomorrow or the next day or maybe next week. Today is too solemn a day.

Actually, I'm not ashamed at all.....this is a thread about the contract/working

shifts of the KFD. I asked a question about why they work the shifts they work..

Instead of ranting, why not just answer the question. I'm not anti-fireman, but I

don't understand the need for 24 hour shifts. It does not make a lot of sense

to me to pay the guys to sleep part of that time.... but then again maybe you can

explain it to me.

Of course my heart goes out to all the NYFD members and their families

that were devastated by the 9-11 attacks, especially today.

Guest DidTheMath

Considering there is minimum manning to consider (which Joe H probably wouldnt comprehend) the Town would have to hire more fire fighters in order for fire fighters to work less hours per shift. Its quit simple when you think about it. Besides that thread is 24 hour shifts and how this schedule saves more money then the current work schedule. And its the same amount of man hours worked!

Can the KFD meet the minimum staffing levels with their current

compliment of firemen, and what is the minimum level, who sets that

level and what is the criteria used for setting the minimum staffing levels?

How many firemen are there and how many are superior officers vs.

firemen?

Guest A Friend

You should address any questions regarding the 24 hr shift to Mrs. Doyle. She seems to be apposed to saving the town money with the shift change. She should be able to answer your questions.

So, is this the only issue, working 24hr shifts? That's all that seems to have been posted. How about pension and benefits?

The shifts & the raise Are really the only issue's.

Guest A Friend

I would not think that the raise would be much of an issue. I would assume that the fire department would be giving the same raise as all the other town workers, including the town administrator.

Archived