A message of support for Matthew LaClair

Guest S

Freedom of religion was designed as freedom from state-enforced religion, and what the teacher did was highly inappropriate.  A public servant in a government-controlled venue should not be allowed to speak about religion, and certainly not proselytize about it.

Best of luck Matthew, but be braced for the raw stupidity of zealots.

As a member of Pagan Clergy, I agree with young Matt as to turn this issue over to be investigated by the proper authorities. I do some subbing in public schools, but nothing of my or any religion is discussed nor observed in thoses classes. I teach history there, and I teach mythology and lore in my pagan studies. The teacher must be able to seperate his or her teachings from his or her classes, thus teaching appropriatly to the students in the class.

Religion or spirituality should be left for the parents and churches to dissiminate to the children.

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nielsen

Hi Matthew

Good work! Good to see you joining the battle against indoctrination. You should get a prize!

And a suggestion to your "teacher": Read The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins and set your mind free.

Richard Dawkins

Long live reason, logic and critical thinking!

Best regards

Nielsen

thanks, matthew, for doing what you did. i just want to add my voice to the thousands who've said - you made the world a better place. keep fighting and don't give up. i'm rooting for you from a thousand miles away.

Guest Thinker

Matt: I just wanted yo to know that this has actually even received attention outside of the US, in my case in Europe.

You have done a very good thing by putting the spotlight on the need to keep education focused on actual learning of the subject at hand.

Keep that spirit of honestly challenging things that are not right! If you should ever feel that you are alone in this fight, remember this thread - it has shown that you certainly aren't!

Good for you Matt! It was a brave thing you did, and it was the RIGHT thing to do, no matter what people in your town might be saying. You're the real American! (Freedom of speech and freedom of religion!)

Fine job, Matt. History class is not the place for religious tirades, and school is not the place for preaching. Remember, everyone who's attacking you is supporting a proven liar, so you should almost automatically know you're on the side of right.

I've been watching this unfold from here in British Columbia Canada.

I applaud you and your actions Matt. How does it feel to have your name in the history books for having a part to play in bringing about the new Enlightenment?

:P gene why did you "not" use the right word? i think its "ANTI CHRIST" :)

Good luck, Matthew.  The fact that you have receiving threats on account of your actions is very troubling.  As an "unbeliever" living in the United States, I know that it can be very difficult to express agnostic or atheist opinions or even to request the cessation of theist prostheletizing.  It's too bad that you have to go through all of this.  Again, good luck.

Dear "Guest,"

You are no unbeliever. No one is. Never let the arrogant and the small-minded make you think that. Belief is not limited to their narrow vision. It is obvious from your brief post that you believe in things that matter.

You've all been conned by a teenager with hopes of furthering his Broadway acting career and a father with political aspirations.

It did not take courage or bravery to do what Matt LaClair did. All it took was a little rehearsing and and a script written by his father. He has been doing bit parts in Broadway plays for some time now, Mom running him back and forth at times when she should have been more concerned about him getting an education. Publicity, whether good or bad, is still publicity and that is exactly what the family wanted. And got.

Guest spencer

Hey Matt -

I can only imagine how difficult it must be for you these days. Just remember that the rest of the world isn't necessarily like small-town New Jersey. Hang on and ride it out - you done good.

Guest Proud of you and most of America

Nice work Matt!

It is very refreshing to see and hear that the tide may be turning down in the ole US of A!. The Dem win, general realization in the population of what a catastophe Bush and his Theocrats have brought about for you and now this good news story.

Well Done. I hope, as do many Canucks, that things continue to change for the better down there.

Because to be honest, the rise of the religious right in the last 10-15years down there has scared the bejesuz out of many up here.

The whole stem cell thing, fight for creationism in schools, home skooling, the rapture nuts, Left Behind Series... WOW! Quite unbelievable.

Anyway, keep up the good fight.

Supportive nieghbour. :)

Well done, Matt. This is a message of support from England. I admire your courage. I think that so-called teacher is a disgrace to his profession. I am horrified to hear of the threats and opposition that you have received. Good luck, Matt.

John

Guest DBEllis
You've all been conned by a teenager with hopes of furthering his Broadway acting career and a father with political aspirations.

It did not take courage or bravery to do what Matt LaClair did. All it took was a little rehearsing and and a script written by his father. He has been doing bit parts in Broadway plays for some time now, Mom running him back and forth at times when she should have been more concerned about him getting an education. Publicity, whether good or bad, is still publicity and that is exactly what the family wanted. And got.

Even if Matt is interested in a Broadway career, and even if his father has political aspirations, what this teacher did in his classroom was wrong. Without the teacher's behavior, there's nothing for Matt to expose.

You did a great thing, Matt! Hang in there.

Guest Shogun of Columbia

CHEARS!

Don't let the rabid fanatics get you down, dude.. The only difference between them and zealots in the mid east the proximity to lethal force and the excuse necessary to rationalize pulling the trigger.

Columbia, Missouri