A message of support for Matthew LaClair

Guest S

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JLDillon

And might I add... in less than 36 hours, there have been more than 10 pages of responses to you, 99% of which (at least) are supportive!!

And as of right now (1230 Central, 12/19/06) there are 60 people viewing this topic.

If that doesn't scream of the support you have, nothing does!

Guest Vitamin_J

Here's to you Matthew and your intestinal fortitude. I read the stories, listened to the audio, and read many of the old posts (apologies to my employer). You really had to suffer some nasty online slings and arrows from some sanctimonious, small-headed people. Ugly and confusing what people will spew out on a message board - but where are they now? Do they want to keep defending their (non)positions, back them up? No - ignorance seems to have slunk back into its hole.

I find it really weird the way people behave in these church/state kerfuffles - how it always becomes Christianity "under attack," and then quickly moves to "America under attack," the terrorists, and then the inviolable What Americans Died For in Wars. Hysteria as argument. Easy enough to condemn if you're a critical thinker - but what does it mean? My working hypothesis - the lack of logic reveals such remarks as a code used by people who feel extremely alienated (culturally, economically, educationally, maybe geographically too), and are grappling in the dark for something to hold onto. I think when someone says, "Christianity/America/all that is good and sacred is under attack," they are not saying anything, but are instead using generic language to cover an emptiness they find terrifying.

James

Guest John Melville

I must say that I am very very impressed Matt and that you are not alone. I wish that more students had the courage that you do.....to speak up for what they believe in. I can't believe that this was allowed in your advanced constitution / history class. It speaks more to the failures of our public education system than anything else. Good luck, and hang in there. I salute you. JM

If you decide that you're just banging your head against a fundamentalist brick wall, and decide to emigrate, as I did, might I suggest Europe? There are lots of like-minded people over here.

This is precisely what we should NOT be encouraging. We need for people here to stick to their guns. Creating a nation of 'like-minded people' is what the bible-thumpers are after.

Matt: high marks. Know that you probably already posess ten times the understanding of our Constitutional freedoms than your detractors, especially that teacher. Never let anyone convince you to barter your rights and principles for acceptance by a crowd: it's a fool's bargain.

Chuck Cain

Milwaukee, WI

Matt: I'm so proud of you. Don't let the unenlightened bigots and fundamentalist fascists of your community get you down.

You did the right thing.

I am the mother of two sons: the oldest graduated from high school this past June, and the youngest is a junior in high school this year.

I could not be prouder of you if you were one of my own children. I point to you as an example to my sons of what a courageous person should be.

Thank you.

Tild Dallelie

Minnesota

It may seem as if you're alone, Matt, but you're not.  Courage!

B) No hes not alone! and thats the real problem here!! if the world could see this site it would think that kearny is un god/jesus holy sprit center of hate!! all this is doing is giving paul his 15 min of fame to boost his biss! it looks like this site has been hijacked by "the worst kind of people" its a good thing we DO HAVE TEACHERS THAT WILL TEACH JUST LIFE AND THE IMPORTANT SPRIT VALUES! if you do not like it iran is looking for you!!! no need to say goodby just GO!!! B)

Guest a happy skeptic

I doubt you'll have the time to read this, but I decided to increment the number of supporters to your cause anyway.

It's creepy to see the US, the world's remaining superpower, getting dominated by fundamentalist christians. Gladly people like you still stand up against that kind of crap.

I was appalled to see in the NYT that most of your peers sided with the teacher on that.

But you're not exactly lacking in support now, so keep up the good work, and thank you. Take your country back from those fundamentalist morons!

I grew up behind the "Zion curtain" in Utah where I recall billboards proclaiming "It's great to be a Mormon Boy Scout!" and where LDS students got credit toward public high school graduation for LDS seminar classes taught adjacent to school property. I dare say some of the folks who persecute you would be rather upset living in a place where the dominant faith was dramatically different than their own.

Keep up the good fight.

Guest Jamie Hampton

Thanks to Matt for having the courage to stand up against such a blatant disregard for individual rights and beliefs. Just wanted you to know that there are many of us that support you and will be following this as it unfolds. Hang in there!

Guest Jim Moore

Let me add my support for Matt. That teacher violated American standards of fairness and equality toward our children and needs to be held accountable. Thanks to Matt for getting the ball rolling; maybe one day the school board will stand up and be Americans too.

Guest J. Peltola

Well done, Matthew!

As just about everything worth saying has already been put forth eloquently enough, I just want to tell you that you did the right thing. Although we don't have rigid separation of the state and the church here in Finland, teachers in religious studies still understand their responsibilities. It is disappointing that an American history teacher does not.

I am a teacher with 18 years experience. I find this kind of preaching/advocacy of specific religious beliefs to be completely inexcusable. This teacher should either be teaching in an evangelical private school or hang-up the profession entirely. The irony of particular brands of Christianity....if held, the believer crucifies his or her intellect rather than selfishness. This particular brand of Christianity militates against rationality, truth and honest learning. A sad monument to the Savior.

Matt,

What you did was brave. It is amazing that someone so young has learned so much. No matter what people say to you about this, and no matter what the result is, you did good. You stood up against something that was wrong. It amazing that a teacher, who probably thought they were doing good, was doing something so bad. I'm glad kids like you are seeing that and doing something about it. Keep thinking for yourself no matter the pressure and you will be fine. It may not be easy, but I promise, it will be worth it.

Dave