A message of support for Matthew LaClair

Guest S

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished reading the NYT article about the controversy in Kearny. Since I've been unable to find an email address for Matthew LaClair, I'm posting here and hoping it will get back to him. I haven't read the other messages relating to this topic, on this board, because I'll probably be so incensed by them that I'll end up yelling at the screen, as apparently the teacher has received more support.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you, Matthew. I think you've done a brave and vitally important thing, and you should be very proud of it. I am really impressed to see so much 'spunk' and initiative in someone your age - congratulations on having a functioning mind! It's a rarity around here these days. You have done the right thing, but I am very sad to say that it won't be enough, in my opinion. If you choose to stay and carry on the good fight, more power to you. If you decide that you're just banging your head against a fundamentalist brick wall, and decide to emigrate, as I did, might I suggest Europe? There are lots of like-minded people over here.

It is commendable that Matthew LaClair had the courage to oppose his teacher's proselytizing in class. Mr. Paszkiewicz's statements, "If you reject his gift of salvation, then you know where you belong" and ...that only Christians had a place in heaven, are not only offensive; but they definitely violate the boundary between church and state. How would a Muslim feel in his class? One of the tenets of Christianity is acceptance of those who have different beliefs. Mr. Paszkiewicz can freely express his religious ideology in church and lecture halls, but school is not an appropriate venue. The breathtaking ignorance and viciousness of the people who are vilifying this student is extremely disturbing. This behavior is regressive. Remember the Salem witch trials, the crusades? Christianity can certainly be brutal. Apparently these people have forgotten that one of our rights is freedom of religion. Demonizing those of another faith in a public school setting is abridging this freedom. This country needs more people like Matthew LaClair who has the strength of his own belief system and to oppose those who trample on his rights.

:)

I just finished reading the NYT article about the controversy in Kearny. Since I've been unable to find an email address for Matthew LaClair, I'm posting here and hoping it will get back to him. I haven't read the other messages relating to this topic, on this board, because I'll probably be so incensed by them that I'll end up yelling at the screen, as apparently the teacher has received more support.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you, Matthew. I think you've done a brave and vitally important thing, and you should be very proud of it. I am really impressed to see so much 'spunk' and initiative in someone your age - congratulations on having a functioning mind! It's a rarity around here these days. You have done the right thing, but I am very sad to say that it won't be enough, in my opinion. If you choose to stay and carry on the good fight, more power to you. If you decide that you're just banging your head against a fundamentalist brick wall, and decide to emigrate, as I did, might I suggest Europe? There are lots of like-minded people over here.

Guest Mike Blewitt

Matthew

Way to go - you're a brave kid and give a cynic more than twice your age some hope. You're also a very lucky kid to have parents like you do - as soon as you see them, say thanks. I'd give anything for that.

Best of luck

You've all been conned by a teenager with hopes of furthering his Broadway acting career and a father with political aspirations.

It did not take courage or bravery to do what Matt LaClair did. All it took was a little rehearsing and and a script written by his father. He has been doing bit parts in Broadway plays for some time now, Mom running him back and forth at times when she should have been more concerned about him getting an education. Publicity, whether good or bad, is still publicity and that is exactly what the family wanted. And got.

I think the issue is the facts, and not the motivation. Look at the contents of the tapes - the teacher is way out of line. If he wants to spout those opinions, he can do so at a private evangelical school. If he wants to teach at a public school, he must teach history. Period!

Guest robkpark

I personally side with the Establishment Clause of the First Amedment as well. But the first thing I read was the other side to try to understand.

Don't make judgments until you get all the facts. And even then you should have reasonalbe doubts.

Riiiight - and you can't even summon the courage to put your name.

That's it!? No diatribe on the evils of not using a name? Isn't it your Constitutional right to know my name? Although that didn't stop you from responding to numerous other unknown posters with lengthy dissertations, all I get is twelve little words? Come on, Paul. You can do better than that. Unless you are trying to avoid the topic! Hmmm??

You have been very brave, Matthew. You're a true inspiration to all us high school students.

To all his fellow students and townspeople who resent what he has done, imagine if the teacher was preaching Islam or even atheism. I assume your reaction would be very different.

If you note in my previous post, I made no mention nor judgement of the teacher or his remarks. What I'm trying to tell you is that Matt's only motivation for this is self promotion. He doesn't care about the issue, but rather his acting career. All I ask is that you consider this.

If you still feel this is a "great thing", so be it. You are entitled to your opinion, but so am I. The people of Kearny that know him and the family know the truth. Use it for your self-serving purposes all you want, but please don't drag our town and its citizens down. We did nothing wrong.

He's received death threats, there have been calls for his suspension, and the teacher has yet to be dealt with, yet your town has done nothing wrong?

What the teacher did was illegal, regardless of what Matthew LaClair's motivations were. Even if your convoluted conspiracy theory about Matthew staging a publicity stunt to improve his acting career was true, the teacher still said what he said. Whether he was goaded into it or not (IMO he wasn't) ultimately doesn't matter.

Guest Enzo Giovanni

Dear Matthew,

You have the support of most Europeans, and I am sure, of a great number of people in the USA for what you have done.

Be strong and endure the bashing.

Regards,

Guest Enzo Giovanni

Dear Matthew,

You have the support of most Europeans, and I am sure, of a great number of people in the USA for what you have done.

Regards,

lets be serious here, everyone is praising this child. Was this teacher threatening kids lives, was he inappropriately touching students, lets be real. Nobody was getting hurt. I would just like to wish this child good luck in college. He will be eatien alive by the ruthless preaching of individuals on college campuses. Grow up, there are a lot worse things going on in the world, i dont need to see this prepubescent child on cnn or read about him in the newspapers.

Guest Mr. Keith W Kemp

Matt will be running for office soon because he has the courage to stand up for what is right about free speech.

There is a time and place for everything concerning freedom of expression.

The teacher has made his point quite clear that he must be under much stress to gather points to get into heaven.

Matt should continue doing what he already has by reporting teachers who cross the line.

As far as death threats are concerned.

I think anyone who makes one is a coward and you can qute me on it !!

Sincerly

Mr. Keith W Kemp

of San Francisco CA

Matthew, it took guts to do what you did, congratulations. And if it's any consolation, you'll have all new friends in college!

Yeah Matthew Laclair, you foolish foolish boy. I saw you on CNN, read about you in the NYT as well as hearing all the controversy when it was unraveling. You are a disgusting individual; please stop starting controversy in your honors history class and study for it so you get into college. If you carry these characteristics with you to college, (as I am sure you will, since your parents are a pair of fools as well) you will not make new friends in college. You will live a lonely life. Stop whining. Stand up for the flag salute, seriously, it wont hurt you. Please end this, get out of my life, I was in high school with you but I never saw you then--I leave and you are on CNN when I am trying to relax before an exam. I want to read the newspaper in the morning and there you are in the New York Times! Most importantly, when I try to take a break from studying and go onto facebook.com you are there, dominating the groups that all the people I am networked with are in. Please, someone end this fool’s 15 minutes of fame. Everyone knew that this teacher was extremely religious. Although you think you have started a news flash...you haven't. The preaching of this teacher have been around before your time. So again, good luck in college...you will need it. I cannot wait until teacher's shove their beliefs down your throat and this petty mess you have made of this poor man's life will not carry into your college career. I hope you cannot live with yourself knowing that you may potentially ruin this man’s life, and I hope it does not happen now but when you have a family like this man does and someone has the chance to take it out from under you because they felt like being an asshole. In college, you will complain about everything and no one will care and your father will not be able to have the influence on the situation he has had now. On CNN, I heard you got death threats, I am sure they were well intended :)

That's it!? No diatribe on the evils of not using a name? Isn't it your Constitutional right to know my name? Although that didn't stop you from responding to numerous other unknown posters with lengthy dissertations, all I get is twelve little words?

For all we know, all those numerous other unknown posters were you.

Matt, so many thoughts ran through my head while I read the NYT article, but I'm having trouble thinking of how to say it without writing a book.

A little background: I live in a very conservative area, politically and religiously. I cringe every time I see a Bush/Cheney bumper sticker, or when someone tells me "God bless you," because both our current Administration and many branches of organized religion have done some horrible things to this world (yes, organized religion has done many good things as well, before anyone objects). Incidentally, my boss has a Bush/Cheney bumper sticker on one of his vehicles and I was forced to drive it a few days for my deliveries. On the one run when I was in too much of a hurry to cover it up, I felt like I had a big swastika or confederate flag plastered on the vehicle as I drove through an impoverished area, full of people our Administration cares nothing about, and I couldn't wait to get back to the shop so I could park it. So anyway...

Matt, you showed great initiative and foresight by taping the classroom discussions, because like you said, everyone would have taken his word over yours. Unfortunately, too many people don't listen to teenagers when they're in the right and an "adult" is in the wrong.

You also showed great bravery by going to the press with this. You gave them plenty of time to do something about this guy and they wouldn't do anything, so going to the press was probably the only way to get anything positive accomplished. I say you were brave, because I'm sure there was already negative talk going around about you before you went to the press, and I'm sure you knew it would only get worse, so anyone who says you did it for attention is just blatantly dishonest, and/or they're jealous because they don't have that kind of guts. The recordings and transcripts are public knowledge, and it's painfully obvious to anyone who takes a few minutes of their time to get the facts that the "teacher" is the one in the wrong here. Furthermore, it's despicable for "adults" to attack a teenage boy for having the courage to come forward and report the "teacher's" wrong-doing. Forcing beliefs down children's throats when they are required by law to be there, and telling them all they're going to hell if they don't share his beliefs, specifically targeting a young Muslim girl who I'm sure wanted desperately to leave his classroom after that... this qualifies as mental abuse and abuse of authority, not to mention a terrible breech of the law.

Matt... you, the Muslim girl, and anyone else who may have felt mentally abused by this guy when he said you're all going to hell for not sharing his arrogant beliefs, should all sue him. Conservative lawyers said they would have a hard time defending him. Why? Because what he did was illegal, and anyone who knows anything about the law will know this.

So-called Christians should be denouncing the behavior of the teacher, as well as the inaction of the school board, the principal, and the superintendent... not shunning or threatening you. WWJD? Well, if he really existed and taught the things he is credited with teaching, he certainly would not have forced his teachings down anyone's throat, or told non-followers they were going to hell, and he would show you love and kindness. Anyone who does otherwise has a complete lack of morals, and I don't know how they can honestly call themselves Christians.

On that note, I would like to applaud the Reverands and other real Christians here who have denounced the actions of this teacher and of the other so-called Christians, and thank them for speaking out. It's easy for me as a "non-believer" to see how wrongly the authorities and many citizens have acted in this case, but you are able to see past your beliefs to realize how Matt is also protecting your own freedom of religion. Kudos for that.

Now, let's not expect Matt to fight the good fight on his own. I propose that we all take action and write a few letters. Snail mail is usually best, because it takes more energy to dump a trash full of letters than it does to "click all" and delete, but email can be affective too.

Rather than have this information get lost on page 20, I started a new topic for contact information, for anyone who would like to take action.

Thanks again to Matt. If more people would follow your example, the world would be a much better place. :lol:

Guest Steve_C
lets be serious here, everyone is praising this child.  Was this teacher threatening kids lives, was he inappropriately touching students, lets be real.  Nobody was getting hurt.  I would just like to wish this child good luck in college.  He will be eatien alive by the ruthless preaching of individuals on college campuses.  Grow up, there are a lot worse things going on in the world, i dont need to see this prepubescent child on cnn or read about him in the newspapers.

Yeah we've heard it all before... "What's the big deal?"

Get over yourself. The teacher was proselytizing in class. It's a violation of the Establishment Clause and unacceptable. I don't want my kid going to school and have to worry about him being singled out for not believing in a teacher's superstitions or have him taught anti-science delusions.

The teacher should be fire just for telling kids dinosaurs were on Noah's Ark.

And you obviously don't understand human biology. Matt's IN puberty, he's not prepubescent. He also seems very rational and logical. I'm sure he'll do just fine in college.

"For all we know, all those numerous other unknown posters were you."

Or, for all you know, they weren't. If you'd like to spin things, then lets. For all we know, all the pro postings were one person using numerous names. How's that.

"He's received death threats, there have been calls for his suspension, and the teacher has yet to be dealt with, yet your town has done nothing wrong?"

The family CLAIMS he received death threats. There is no hard evidence such as phone recordings (what an idea...recordings), no written notes, no witnesses. As to the teacher "being dealt with", no one, myself included knows what has been done. We do know the family is not satisfied yet.

"What the teacher did was illegal, regardless of what Matthew LaClair's motivations were. Even if your convoluted conspiracy theory about Matthew staging a publicity stunt to improve his acting career was true, the teacher still said what he said. Whether he was goaded into it or not (IMO he wasn't) ultimately doesn't matter."

As was stated in my previous post, I am not making a judgement on the teacher. Those of us who live in Kearny and know the family do not have convoluted theories. We have seen their actions in the past.

"He backed up his son despite the fact that it would probably cut into his local business."

Just another statement proving that most people posting on the topic don't know the town or the principals involved. Paul does not have a local business. He works in NYC.

"I do not care one little bit if he wants to be an actor.

Lets stick to the facts"

That is one of the facts. No heroics, bravery, courage. Just plain old fashion rehearsed acting.

Dear Matthew,

Regards,

Most of the Europeans? Huh....I am not really sure about that one! Statistics, please? Don't post anything when you have no idea what you are talking about...

Matthew you should really be concerned who you will be taking to the prom. For two reason..one: you are so ugly and girls would be embarassed to go with you...two: who can guarantee that you won't be recording what the girl says? i think you should invite one of your cousins or your sister to go with you...LOL! By the way, I SUPPORT YOU! You need to go to Europe...please go! We'll pay for your ticket!

Guest lizvelrene

Matthew, what you did was brave and responsible and I salute you.

This teacher is indefensible and a detriment to our school system. If I had children in this district, which lets its employees behave in this way, I would take them out of the schools and put them somewhere that will educate them, not preach to them in a thoroughly inappropriate environment. Our tax dollars are going towards teaching science and history, not sunday school.

It really says something about this community that it will villify one young man for standing up for independent thought in this manner. Kearny should be ashamed of itself - you're a laughing stock of the thinking world.

An unregistered guest who wisely did not use his name: " . . .you will not make new friends in college. You will live a lonely life. "

I doubt that. People who are in college are often pretty smart and passionate; Matt will surely be able to connect with those people.

Guest: Please end this, get out of my life, I was in high school with you but I never saw you then--I leave and you are on CNN when I am trying to relax before an exam.

So it's all about you? Grow up.

Guest: Most importantly, when I try to take a break from studying and go onto facebook.com you are there, dominating the groups that all the people I am networked with are in.

Apparently your friends are more interested in real news than you are.

Guest: Everyone knew that this teacher was extremely religious. Although you think you have started a news flash...you haven't. The preaching of this teacher have been around before your time.

But nobody else ever had the balls to put a stop to this illegal activity.

Guest: I hope you cannot live with yourself knowing that you may potentially ruin this man’s life, and I hope it does not happen now but when you have a family like this man does and someone has the chance to take it out from under you because they felt like being an asshole.

Matt's father has said that that aspect has been troubling Matt. But I think the teacher must take responsibility for any adverse outcome; he is the one who committed illegal and unethical acts. The school board and the principal also own a piece of the blame. If they had done their jobs, things would never have come to this. And by the way, the school's attorney seems to be incompetent, since he apparently hasn't advised his clients about the clear nature of the law governing proselytizing in the classroom.

In any case, you entirely miss the point of all this. I hope you haven't taken American history yet at that college of yours. You seem to have no knowledge at all of the Constitution and the larger questions the brouhaha in your little town raise.

Guest: On CNN, I heard you got death threats, I am sure they were well intended

Okay, up until this point you merely seemed ignorant, childish, and immature. Now you've crossed in the line and are making threats. It was wise of you not to sign your name, but do you realize that you will probably be investigated by the police? Here in Texas you surely would be.

Leigh Williams

Austin, TX

lets be serious here, everyone is praising this child.  Was this teacher threatening kids lives, was he inappropriately touching students, lets be real.  Nobody was getting hurt.  I would just like to wish this child good luck in college.  He will be eatien alive by the ruthless preaching of individuals on college campuses.  Grow up, there are a lot worse things going on in the world, i dont need to see this prepubescent child on cnn or read about him in the newspapers.

Lots of people are praising Matt because he deserves it. He stood up to authority and defended the Constitution and the rights of students to be treated as equals by the government. But lots of people are attacking him as well. People such as yourself who don’t seem to understand what it means to be an American. Just because the teacher wasn’t physically abusing anyone doesn’t mean what he did wasn’t a big deal. It’s all well and good to have a piece of paper guaranteeing freedom of religion and equal treatment under the law, but we have to live those ideals as well. When they’re attacked or undermined by the very government that’s supposed to uphold them, we have to speak up. Fail to do so now and next time it could be a Muslim teacher telling your own kids they’re going to hell.

And just so we’re clear, any preaching being done on college campuses is done by private individuals on their own time, not by government employees on government time. Any audience those college preachers get is free to leave, and no one is dependent on such preachers for their grades.

Matt--I'd love to send you this bumper sticker but since I don't know your address, you might consider ordering it online: So many far right Christians...so few lions. What you exhibited in supporting separation of church and state is called moral courage. As a high school teacher, I hope that other students across our great nation are taking recorders into classes where similar proselytizing is happening.

Bravo. If people want to preach in school or be taught by preachers in school, then let them go to private school or be home schooled.

Public schools are funded with taxpayer money, therefore should be free from the endorsement of religion. Students are not a captive audience for evangelical teachers to spread the word of any religion. The students don't choose to be in his class, by law they HAVE to be there, and the law shouldn't be used to make people listen to a teacher trying to force his religion on them.

Sure there's the Freedom of Speech in the constitution, but the constitution also has freedom of religion, and freedom FROM religion. As long as public schools are run by the government, they are free from religion. End of story. Nobody's telling the guy not to preach, he is free to speak his mind, but he can do it outside of the classroom, and preach only to people who actually want to hear it.

What would all the teachers supporters say if a Wiccan teacher started talking about Mother Earth and the solstace festivals, or if a Muslim teacher started preaching the Koran, or a Buddhist came in and taught the students about meditation and stuff? They'd be all up in arms about it. But because the guy's preaching christianity, it's okay? Just because you think you're a majority it doesn't give you the right to stomp all over everyone who doesn't agree with you.