A message of support for Matthew LaClair

Guest S

I just finished reading the NYT article about the controversy in Kearny. Since I've been unable to find an email address for Matthew LaClair, I'm posting here and hoping it will get back to him. I haven't read the other messages relating to this topic, on this board, because I'll probably be so incensed by them that I'll end up yelling at the screen, as apparently the teacher has received more support.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you, Matthew. I think you've done a brave and vitally important thing, and you should be very proud of it. I am really impressed to see so much 'spunk' and initiative in someone your age - congratulations on having a functioning mind! It's a rarity around here these days. You have done the right thing, but I am very sad to say that it won't be enough, in my opinion. If you choose to stay and carry on the good fight, more power to you. If you decide that you're just banging your head against a fundamentalist brick wall, and decide to emigrate, as I did, might I suggest Europe? There are lots of like-minded people over here.

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Or Canada...

I'm with you Matthew, it seems to me that too few kids stand up against this sort of crap where I live (Georgia), or anywhere else for that matter. Best of luck to you.

If you decide that you're just banging your head against a fundamentalist brick wall, and decide to emigrate, as I did, might I suggest Europe? There are lots of like-minded people over here.

This is merely in response to the post above, not advice to Mr. LaClair.

Run to Europe to be unchallenged among like-minded people?! I'm sorry, but that sounds really weak. I'd hope such a courageous spirit would continue to bring light on exploitative fundamentalist types here in the US.

judging from the NYT article, there seems to be a lot of ad hominem attacks on Matt, which only justifies how weak his critics' arguments are. don't let 'em get to you--keep up the fight.

Nate

Tenafly, NJ

Matthew, you are an inspiration. The more you learn about the world, past and present, the more you will see how important your actions were. Now that you've been written about in the New York Times, people EVERYWHERE know how you bravely have put yourself forward defending the freedom of religion, the separation of church and state. You have a great deal of support ALL OVER THE WORLD. It's hard to see past the small-minded people around you, who criticize you, make you feel unwanted. (Come to think of it, Jesus said a prophet is never welcome in his hometown.) Keep your chin up, and remember, many, many people are behind you. You're awesome!

Dan Urbach, MD

Portland, Oregon

Guest 2smart4u
I just finished reading the NYT article about the controversy in Kearny. Since I've been unable to find an email address for Matthew LaClair, I'm posting here and hoping it will get back to him. I haven't read the other messages relating to this topic, on this board, because I'll probably be so incensed by them that I'll end up yelling at the screen, as apparently the teacher has received more support.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you, Matthew. I think you've done a brave and vitally important thing, and you should be very proud of it. I am really impressed to see so much 'spunk' and initiative in someone your age - congratulations on having a functioning mind! It's a rarity around here these days. You have done the right thing, but I am very sad to say that it won't be enough, in my opinion. If you choose to stay and carry on the good fight, more power to you. If you decide that you're just banging your head against a fundamentalist brick wall, and decide to emigrate, as I did, might I suggest Europe? There are lots of like-minded people over here.

Europe is a good place for all you "like-minded people". Please stay there.

Guest Guest_James_*

Freedom of religion was designed as freedom from state-enforced religion, and what the teacher did was highly inappropriate. A public servant in a government-controlled venue should not be allowed to speak about religion, and certainly not proselytize about it.

Best of luck Matthew, but be braced for the raw stupidity of zealots.

I grew up in a VERY religious house and my parents are still very right-wing. I have moved very far from their beliefs and ideas of what is correct and the way others think. This does not mean I don't not have any morals. It just means I take what the Bible, which is a flawed book depicting history, and follow the core idea that every human on earth should be loved and respected.

I think one of the biggest problems I had when I was growing up was the churches overwhelming desire to convert people to their ways. I got sick of it.

I'm not sure this is a case of the first ammendment as Matthew or his camp claims. Instead, It just comes down to another human being trying to force another to conform to a belief that they think is right and I'm sick of it. Christians don't know how to think for themselves. They are just fed from the pulpit and then turn right around repeat the same garbage to the person behind them and never really investigate for themselves if what they are hearing is true or has some sort of hidden agenda by the pastor or other crap vomiting pulpit speaker.

I don't need to be told how to think and this is what this situation boils down to.

I was raised a Catholic and I would have been shocked to hear this sort of preaching the classroom (my parents wisely sent me to public school vs Catholic). I don't even think I heard this "non-Christians going to hell" gibberish in my once-a-week church CCD classes!

There's a time and place for religious teaching of this extent. The teacher has an OBLIGATION to teach these advanced-level students what they truly need in order to suceed in college. Religious opinions do not count. (won't be covered on the SAT!)

It's ironic - - Americans are angered by the existence of hard-line Islamic schools in Pakistan (terrorist breeding grounds), but many don't blink if we are going down the same path...

Matthew, it took guts to do what you did, congratulations. And if it's any consolation, you'll have all new friends in college!

Guest Raised Catholic

I was raised a Catholic and I would have been shocked to hear this sort of preaching the classroom (my parents wisely sent me to public school vs Catholic). I don't even think I heard this "non-Christians going to hell" gibberish in my once-a-week church CCD classes!

There's a time and place for religious teaching of this extent. The teacher has an OBLIGATION to teach these advanced-level students what they truly need in order to suceed in college. Religious opinions do not count. (won't be covered on the SAT!)

It's ironic - - Americans are angered by the existence of hard-line Islamic schools in Pakistan (terrorist breeding grounds), but many don't blink if we are going down the same path...

Going by what this teacher has said to the class, anyone who supports keeping him clearly has their own religious agenda. WAKE UP - - the reason why our country is so great and why we're free blah blah blah is in part because we HAVE a separation of Church and State! Get it?

Matthew, it took guts to do what you did, congratulations. And if it's any consolation, you'll have all new friends in college!

My support for a Matthew's courageous act. Very few men in Matthew's position would risk opposing his teacher's improper words. This is, after all, a majority Christian country and the principle of separation of church and state has been often ignored during this presidential term.

Guest Red-State Dem
Matthew LaClair should get an award.

The teacher should be fired.

Christians should all receive a lobotomy

I'll agree with the first two statements.

But the third statement only adds fuel to the fire of the fundamentalists saying that anybody who wants to preserve our Rights is really trying to destroy Christianity. The validity of Christianity (and for the record, I am a Christian) is entirely distinct from a teachers' imposition of his personal religious beliefs on any student- no matter what those beliefs are.

And Go Matt for standing up for himself!

Guest J. M. M.

Hang in there Matthew. Stand up. Even when it's not popular in your town. Stand up against the Theocrats and Militia Minded Nits who are trying to bully you. They are not patriots in the least. You are my man! You are!

I just read the NY Times article and was shocked that anyone would support the conduct of this teacher. Is this really happening in New Jersey, and not some 10th century "Christian" Afghanistan?

Matthew is a brave young man and should be congratulated! However, he shouldn't have to be brave. This case should have been over the instant the recordings were played to anyone in authority. For shame!