A message of support for Matthew LaClair

Guest S

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Cathey Thomas

Thank you so much for your courage and intelligence, Matthew. As almost everyone here has already said, you are truly a patriot, a real defender of the Constitution, and a great example to Americans everywhere, young and old. You've reminded us all that our basic freedoms need to be actively defending HERE, at home, by everyday citizens who refuse to sit by while our Bill of Rights is threatened by radical religious fundamentalists. We didn't need to invade Iraq to defend our freedom; the real dangers are HERE, in places of authority in our classrooms, and in the White House.

"When fascism arrives in America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."

-Sinclair Lewis

Matt,

I just wanted to show my support for you. Do not be saddened by the negative response of some of your neighbors, extremeists are ironically hateful that way. Just know that you did the right thing, no one should be subjected to that, especially at school. I had a teacher tell me once that I was going to hell. It was a hateful thing to say, but you just have to brush it past.

--Kirsten

Berkeley, CA

Guest Reverend Matt Y

I was born and raised Roman Catholic. I attended a Jesuit College. I majored in U.S. History. I am quite proud of all of that. And I am quite proud of you for standing up for yourself. Religious proselytizing has no place in a history class (or science class for that matter). Discussion of the history of religion is one thing, but making such strident comments is entirely inappropriate. I wish that more young people had your courage and fortitude. Hang in there.

Matthew,

My family and I would like to send our best wishes and tell you how impressed we are by your actions, your courage, and your knowledge of the Constitution.

Hang in there and know that people all around the country support you. Ignore the losers who can't even *spell* Constitution, let alone understand the importance of the establishment clause.

Mara, Avi, and Yael (not to mention various grandparents, aunts, and uncles)

Guest grendelkhan

Congratulations, Matt. It might not seem like a good thing right now, but you've joined a long and illustrious line of whistleblowers, exposing hypocrisy, incompetence and lies from those in power. You stood up for what's right, you brought accountability to a situation that desperately needed it, and you should be proud of yourself. Don't let anyone tell you different.

Guest Guest_Michael_*
B) Keep up the good work, Matt! Way to stick up for the rights of everyone in this country, including the bigots and religious crazies who try to slander you. Thanks from all of us! :D

Guest G. Tingey

Ranting religious claptrap in the middle of a history lesson is not part of the history, or any other educational curriculum.

I understand that, in the US, making a positive religious statement, as a teacher to your class, and defining everyone else as wrong/damned is "making an establishment of religion" isn't it?

I thought the US constitution guaranteed freedom of (and by implication from) religion, as that was a matter of personal choice and freedom.

You also have to remember that (certainly for the monotheisms) all religion is a form of blackmail.

That is what happened here - the teacher was trying to blackmail his students, and Matthew LeClair refused to be blackmailed and bullied.

Keep up the good work!

Guest David G

Living just 30 miles away or so (central Jersey), I find it hard to believe that this sort of thing could happen in a state that is supposedly as "progressive" as New Jersey.

The teacher (David Paszkiewicz) had absolutely no business preaching his religious views in a history class, and his attacks on evolution were nonscientific B.S. Yes, he has the right to free speech under the Constitution, but when he gets up in front of a class to teach in a public school he is an agent of the government. Given that, the Establishment Clause clearly prevents him from endorsing any religious view. That didn't stop him from preaching his version of Christianity to the class and even suggesting that non-Christians were going to hell.

What really shocks me is that it isn't painfully obvious too all why what Paszkiewicz did is wrong. Even most conservative legal foundations realize that Paszkiewicz violated the Establishment Clause. It's even more shocking that the majority of the citizens of Kearny seem to be siding with Paszkiewicz and against Matt LaClair, with some even calling for his suspension. Unbelievable!

Even conservative legal foundations aren't willing to defend Paszkiewicz's actions. In fact, in trying to claim the mantle of a free speech martyr, Paszkiewicz demonstrates that he does not know enough about the Constitution or American history to be allowed to teach a history course.

So, all I can say is: Hang in there, Matt. You showed a lot more resolve and bravery than 99% of kids your age show. We could use more like you.

I have never posted on a board with clickable smiles, so here goes:

Matthew, :) you are the best. Your teacher, if he can be called that, :D clearly thinks the classroom is a venue in which to indoctrinate students into his faith, :( not a place where they learn to think for themselves as they struggle to interpret and understand history. The school that refuses to fire him :o, the people in favor of the way he teaches B) , all should thank you for exposing someone who is seriously failing his students. :angry:

Keep up the good work. :D

Guest B. Dewhirst

I'm writing to indicate my support for Matthew LaClair.

Society is only as honest as its whistle-blowers are brave. My gratitude for making society a little bit more honest.

Matthew,

You obviously have more sense and maturity than many of your fellow students. Bravo for speaking up.

For the supporters of the teacher to use the "freedom of speech" argument" is a sham. A public school teacher is an agent of the government, and as such cannot promote any religion in the schoolroom, per the First Amendment to the Constitution. On his own time, he can stand on the street corner and preach and hand out flyers about his beliefs all he wants to.

When I read about your action it makes me feel hopeful that the US will continue to defend freedom of thought independent of religious doctrine, and not degrade into a fascist theocracy.

Sincerely,

Ted

Santa Rosa, California

I am myself a member of the education profession. I am appalled and disgusted at the teacher's lack of courtesy, lack of common sense, lack of professional ethics, and, obviously, given his religious burblings, lack of intelligence. Regardless of his popularity, he had no right to turn the classroom into his own private church. He is a true Man o' Gawud: a self-righteous, ignorant, arrogant bully.

In my opinion, Matthew LaClair deserves a Medal of Freedom for his courageous stand in defending not only freedom of speech, but academic integrity. Given the current political climate, I doubt very much that he'll ever see it, but he deserves it. Students like him are the reason I want to teach. Students like him are the reason why we cannot abandon democracy or the United States to the religious fundamentalists and zealots who seek to undermine the rule of law and the right of reason.

Thank you, Matthew.

Just read the NYT article about this incident and came from a discussion on the Richard Dawkins website. I thought I would come here and voice my support for Matthew. As I'm sure everyone else has already said, religion may be a personal choice and no one can deny this teacher the right to make that choice for himself. However, there is no place for religion or religious teachings in public school. As long as Matthew really didn't bait him into making those statements, he's done nothing wrong. The fact that people would THREATEN him over this issue scares me to no end. Good luck, Matthew! Let's work together to stop the practice of preaching in public schools.

Guest Sanguinity

Matt,

Hang in there. It's never easy to speak up against the crowd, and, unfortunately, the more important it is to speak up, the higher the costs for doing so -- I wish it didn't work that way, but it does. You're a brave and principled young man, and I'm glad to know that I share the world with you.

As I said, hang in there, and don't let these guys trample your spirit.

It is disgraceful that someone's honesty and bravery (Matt's) is punished by death threats and mindless criticism. Hurry up and graduate Matt and hightail it out of that ignorant little town. The real world tends to make more sense (although not always).

My full support to Matt.

Matthew, I'm a Christian (a church organist, nonetheless!), and I just wanted to add to the multitude of voices supporting you in your principles. I lived in the US some years ago and left. It is so sad to see the continuing decline of scholarship, and rise of fundamentalism. A poorly educated populace combined with radical religion makes for a dangerous situation. My best wishes and support to you, and all the great teachers and principals down there (and there are some fantastic ones!).

From Gregg, in Canada

Guest histrogeek

Well done Matt. Public school is no place for religious nonsense. Your teacher was breaking the law and you were right to call him on it.

A former public school teacher and regular church goer.