KHS Teacher Controversy

Guest Unknown

WHAT AN INSPIRING PIECE IN THE NEW YORK TIMES..........GOOD FOR YOU YOUNG MATTHEW!! PROUD OF YOU!!! THIS IS A YOUNG MAN WHO "GETS IT". As for the rest of you who seek religion in school ..........I suggest you enroll yourself in private, catholic school....for it is not the role of a public school teacher to teach religion in class as if he were preaching from the pulpit!!!

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Dissento

We have a teacher. And he believes.... there were dinosaurs on the ark. ...Oh boy.

I don't which is more disturbing -- that a teacher believes that dinosaurs have existed in the last 5000 years or a that a teacher believe in the story of Noah and the Ark.

I'm sure Mr. P is a perfectly nice man... but how is this guy allowed in the teaching profession?

Guest Emerson Avery

It strikes me that, given the reams of comments already made on this topic--particularly in light of the New York Times piece, which in fact drew me here--there´s little enough chance that I´ll be able to say anything new. That said, I just wanted to express my deep admiration for Matt LaClair, should he be reading this (though, hell, I´m sure he has better ways to spend his time). It takes courage to stand up to a figure in authority, and a great deal of maturity to go about proving ones case in so meticulous a fashion.

The separation of church and state is fundamental to America´s identity, both legal and moral, and it has been disturbing these past few years to see it so dangerously, and so flagrantly, erroded. We are, for various complicated historical reasons (the instructor´s time might have been better spent dwelling on this, but I digress), an unusually religious western nation, and it is only the strength of our institutions that has prevented a probable slide into theocracy. Well-meaning Christians will call this hyperbole. Not-so-well-meaning Christians will fail to see the problem inherent in such an outcome. To both I would point out that the enshrinement of Anglican Christianity in England was precisely the reason for which the Puritans fled bloodied from their homes. Though we are all capable of seeing the damage done by radical Muslim regimes in the Middle East, we are sometimes curiously unable to perceive that an avowedly Christian government would be quite as tyrannical. I would tell them that their efforts, well-intentioned though they are, are strking at the very root of the American character. And I would congratulate Matt LaClair, once again, for having the courage to be a real American.

1.  There is no such thing as "premeditated entrapment," and entrapment is a defense only when the entrapment is performed by an agent of the government.  LaClair didn't break any laws by recording the class.

2.  Matt LaClair didn't "set him up"--he doesn't ask questions until well into the recording.  Further, even if LaClair had initiated any discussion of religion it is still the teacher's responsibility is to not use the classroom as a forum for evanglizing.

3.  The recording shows that the teacher was leading the class in a rambling, barely controlled or coherent discussion of Halloween, the Bible, Satan, free will, home schooling his kids, the purpose of public education, and other topics having nothing to do with the U.S. History class he was supposed to be teaching.  In the course of this, the teacher demonstrated that he knows little about most of the topics he discussed, as he made erroneous statement after erroneous statement.  He is clearly not competent to be teaching any of the subjects he was talking about, none of which had anything to do with the subject of the class.

4.  When called on his religious advocacy before school administrators, the teacher clearly knew he was in the wrong, because he *lied about it* and denied having said the things he did.  Only after LaClair brought forward the recordings did he change his tune--and then refused to cooperate, asking for his union representative.

5.  The school administration claims that it has taken "corrective action," but refuses to  say what it is.  The teacher continues to teach the class.

It is interesting that those defending the teacher and criticizing LaClair fail to address any of the above points.

If I were a parent of a child in Kearny, NJ, I would be very concerned about the quality of education being given at KHS.  The teacher in question home schools his own kids, apparently because he recognizes the poor quality of public school education in Kearny.  Unfortunately, it's clear that his kids aren't getting anything better at home.

This is the only intelligent post I have seen on this thread. I hope Matthew is too smart to waste time reading this discussion, but if you are, Matthew, take heart from the above. You are courageous for protesting such a blatant violation of the separation of church and state, which is an essential aspect of preserving religious freedom. May you continue to have the courage of your convictions and ignore the angry and cowardly voices you hear on this board and elsewhere.

Guest Willard

Young Matthew is a hero and deserves praise for his courage. All the bigots defending David Paszkiewicz would not be so cozy if the teacher in question was named Mohammed Abdullah and if he told his class that only Allah is the path to salvation. What David Paszkiewicz did is reprehensible because he uses his government paid position and a captive audience to force his religious views on others.

Can any of the fundamentalist supporters of David Paszkiewicz dare answer this -

Would you support a teacher who used the same postion to preach Islam to his students? Would you? If not, you are a hypocrite and a bigot.

Peace.

My view as a retired History and social sciences teacher is that Matt LaClair is exactly right. iF THIS TEACHER WANTS TO MIX PROSELYTIZING WITH TEACHING HE SHOULD DO SO IN A PRIVATE RELIGIOUS SCHOOL. tHERE IS NO PLACE FOR HIS BEHAVIOR IN A PUBLIC SCHOOL.

Wow, the people in Kearny are astoundingly worthless morons. The sheer magnitude of the depths of their ignorance (and the bliss which they derive) boggles the mind, and highlights everything that is wrong with mainstream, religious America.

Guest Brian, Las Vegas

The only information I have on this story, like many others on this board I suspect, is from the NY Times article. Although there are undoubtedly additional facts and arguments to be made on both sides of this issue, I find it unbelievable that anyone would try to argue that this teacher wasn't proselytizing, or that he only responded to provocation by the student. According to the article the student taped 8 class periods where this type of discussion occurred. First of all, unless the student is lying (and I haven't heard the audio), the teacher informed the class that unless they accepted Jesus they were going to hell. I'd really like to hear one of the teacher's supporters make a defense of this statement as being a simple response to a question or not a proselytizing statement. Regardless, the student isn't an employee of a public school, and the teacher is. Therefore, the student can say whatever he wants without having to censor himself, while the teacher does not have that luxury. Just because a student brings up a subject in class does not mean that constitutional standards disappear and the teacher is free to say whatever he or she wishes. Would this teacher's supporters argue that if a child brings up a sexually explicit subject that the teacher should be able to share all his thoughts about such topics simply because "he wasn't the one who brought it up?" Of course not. Such an idea is laughable.

I have to say, the people of this town should be embarrassed and ashamed, more of their reaction to this story than to the teacher's initial behavior. To demonize this child and his family for bringing this situation to light, when the teacher was clearly in violation of accepted teaching standards, is beyond pathetic. I'm sure you think you're all very loyal and are proud of how you're standing up for your teachers, but I have to tell you, to pretty much the rest of the world you come off simply as reactionary, bitter, angry, uneducated, unreasonable fanatics. This is not coming from a liberal separationist. I'm a conservative republican, but I know there is an appropriate line between church and state, and this teacher unquestionably crossed the line. The student and his family may have provoked the teacher, and they may be media-hungry; I don't know them or anything about them. Their behavior is irrelevant, though, in relation to the wrong or right of what the teacher did. Shame on the people of this town. Thanks for letting me know in advance that your community is a place in which I never want to find myself.

Guest Tettris

I would not want a teacher teaching my child witchcraft in the classroom. Period. That being said, this teacher made some comments that he believed in. Students can think for themselves. He did not ask for the students to pray. He merely expressed his opinions. The students family wants to sue him for that. There was no breach of Separation of Church and State. The student wants to use his athiest beliefs and this trumped up charge to perhaps pay for college. If parents do not like the way a class is taught they have venues in which to express this. But to say that this teacher's comments were established government policy and thus in violation of Church and State separation seems ludacris.

Guest ConcernedAttorneyFormerlyATeache

I read the Times article with interest, but the posts on this site with even greater curiosity. IF the teacher was preaching, he was wrong. Period. If you do not know that, and I see that many people do not, you are simply ignorant of American history, American jurisprudence and, if you cannot understand why preaching in the classroom is wrong, you are ignorant, quite frankly, of American society in the twenty-first century. However.

As one who has taught for 15 years, I agree with the teacher who allegedly stated that 'things come up in the classroom.' All kinds of things come up, every single day. I suspect that the student provoked the questions to get the teacher to repeat something said on a previous school day so that it could be recorded. Does that justify the teacher's comments? No. Does the fact that the student brought in a recorder and asked questions in order to tape the conversation provide insight into the conversation? Certainly.

The questions of whether the student's conduct violated any School District policies or law is truly a separate question and must be considered apart from the question of what the teacher told the class. One thing the teacher said that concerns me, but seems to be overlooked by everyone else, is that public education exists for those who cannot afford an education. This is inaccurate at best.

But sticking to the main controversy, should the teacher be crucified for his statements? Probably not, but attention should be brought to bear on his comments and he should receive some disciplinary response designed to help him understand what is and what is not appropriate discourse for a classroom. Should the student be crucified? No. First of all, he is a child. Second, as someone raised above, he may have a historyof challenging similar matters--and that is the very type of personality that the founders of this country would emulate. However, clearly this young man also requires some guidance. Having made these tapes to guard against others not believing his complaint, he should have made a complaint. And that complaint should have been made to the principal, perhaps even to the school board. There are channels to handle such complaints and they should only be ignored when proven futile.

No doubt cooler minds will prevail when the dust clears and the teacher will continue teaching, perhaps with a letter in his file--a perfectly acceptable conclusion to the matter if indeed he was actually proselytizing. Should the student be ostracized or subject to the nonsense I've seen posted here? No. Should he be subject to discipline? Perhaps if he has violated the District's Code of Conduct. But most importantly, those who would defend the teacher's speech need to evaluate their understanding of the United States Constitution and the Bill of Rights. A government entitly is not privileged to subject a captive audience to proselytizing speech in a public forum such as the classroom. Period.

Uh oh...

You meanies are going to get the likes of "Asshat" Sean Hannity involved! Don't MAKE him pull Ann Coulter out of his trouser pocket and wield her like Chuck Norris on a pair of nunchucks!

So, anyone want to bet on how long it takes Fox "news" to pounce on this "Terry Schiavo Level" story? Hell, I bet Big Bad Bill'O himself can twist this to convey an attack on Santa too!

Bottom line... The only reason there are christians willing to hate on this kid is because the preaching was christian flavored... Let it be MUSLIM flavored and see how the same people all of a sudden start foaming at the mouth calling for their bible thumping lynchmob for find a hanging tree.

Guest Ed Coleman

It's bad enough this teacher proselytized during school, but to further go on to say that dinosaurs were on Noah's ark? The man is not only a religious bigot, but also a complete moron. How big does he think the ark was? So, there were two T-Rex's (each 40 ft. high) and two brachiosaurus' (each 60 tons)? Never mind the hundreds of other types of dinosaurs. It stretches all credulity to believe this man is qualified to teach high school. Seriously. How can a high school teacher be allowed to undermine the hard work the science teacher is doing down the hall. To say evolution is a lie is to say the sky is not blue. The way this "teacher" talks, he would probably further say the sky isn't blue, never has been blue, and to say it is blue is deserving of eternal hellfire.

When people feel the need to force religion down your throat and defend unreasonable expressions of religion, it only goes to show their own deep seeded insecurities. Fear of other people, fear of different thoughts, fear of not fitting in. So often these same people will drape themselves in the flag and try and claim the moral high ground of both religion and patriotism. It only speaks to their cowardice, and their inability to think for themselves. This man has no place in a public school. Tax dollars should not be paying his salary or pension. He can go teach at Queen of Peace if he is so inclined to tell students they're going to hell. It's disgusting. The Kearny Board of Education had better take meaningful action on this.

The best part of the tapes is how this 16 year old with principles, sounds articulate and confident in his own opinions and the teacher sputters and fumbles with his words trying to defend himself. Good for young Mr. LaClair. And as for other kids coming down against the student....what ever happened to fighting authority?!? It's a sad day in America when high school kids are siding with their teachers against each other. Go listen to some Public Enemy and question what teachers are force feeding you, for GOD'S sake!

Guest NotIgnorant

Hearing about how the Community around this kid makes me sick. This kid is not letting a public school (uses tax dollars) teach him about a non scientifically based belief that has no evidence to back it. (the bible is not sufficient evidence) This is exactly what we need to have taken out of schools, the "evolution theory" is a theory because it can be backed up (or refuted) by scientific evidence (something that religion cannot claim) If this kid wanted to be taught about subjects that do not involve science (religion) he should go to a school (private) where he wastes the money of someone else, not tax payers that are trying to contribute to an institution (public schools) to further the progress of knowlege. A community that backs the mockery of scientific evidence (dinasaurs on Noah's ark, earth is 7,000 years old and so on...) clearly have not left the "Dark Ages" and came to the conclusion that Friedrich Nietzsche already did. "God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche (look it up Kearny, you might even question why the sky is blue)

I would not want a teacher teaching my child witchcraft in the classroom.  Period.  That being said, this teacher made some comments that he believed in.  Students can think for themselves.  He did not ask for the students to pray.  He merely expressed his opinions.  The students family wants to sue him for that.  There was no breach of Separation of Church and State.  The student wants to use his athiest beliefs and this trumped up charge to perhaps pay for college.  If parents do not like the way a class is taught they have venues in which to express this.  But to say that this teacher's comments were established government policy and thus in violation of Church and State separation seems ludacris.

Tettris, have you ever heard of a remote document called the Constitution of the United States? Teachers at public schools in this country are not allowed to "merely express their opinions" about religion. This is a settled issue. If you aren't aware of this then you need to educate yourself. I'm not trying to be mean. This is not simply my, or anyone else's opinion. The Supreme Court of the U.S. has decided this issue long ago. Regardless of what a student says in school, a teacher is not free to discuss his or her opinion about religion. I do not understand what it is about this issue that people fail to understand. This is not a conservative vs. liberal issue. If you're a conservative you may disagree with the law, but the law has been settled for a long time. Anyone posting about how what this teacher did isn't wrong needs to step away from their computer. You're flat wrong, and it's not a matter of opinion. You can argue about what the kid did, what the administration did, what the community did, what the New York Times did, what the district did, what the family did, etc. But there is really no debating that when a teacher tells his class, under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, that Jesus Christ is the only way to salvation, that teacher has violated the Constitutionally mandated separation between church and state. Does anyone not understand this?

If you are from Kearny then by now you have heard a story that has been blown WAY OUT OF PROPORTION.

A student of KHS, one Matthew LaClair has gone to the newspaper stating that a teacher has been forcing his religious views in is history class.

Now I am all for having freedom of speech, but I also believe every subject has a place and time for discussion; and religion in a history class is not that place.

HOWEVER!!!! This 16 year old CHILD, is nothing more than an attention seeking, immature person, who is also been known to "previously garnered attention for protesting Bush administration activities by refusing to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance" (the lippar blog) I will include this website at the end of my rant!

This kid thinks he is so self rightcious and claims he “was requesting an apology and correction of false and anti-scientific statements" (the lippard blog).

If you listen to the audio (which I will also supply the site to) you can clearly hear that Laclair PROVOKED the conversation, and you can hear that the teacher had responded QUITE APPROPRIATELY:

One example being:

Matthew: isn't the whole point of public schools is so that you can separate personal beliefs from teachers and administrators from non religious teachings during school, like school prayer and all that.

teacher: the purpose of public school is to provide free education for people that couldn't afford education. That’s the purpose of public school

Matthew: what would decide what religion should be taught in school, what would decide that?

teacher: no it's not about teaching, my point is it's not about teaching religion, these issues all come up in time, ( tape fades out) things get legislated and we talk in class

the public school shouldn't teach a religion but the scriptures aren't religion they are a foundation of the worlds religion, the world main religion any way.

religion is a set way of doing things

In the conversation above, taken my Matthew Laclair himself, i see no wrong doing by this teacher, i do however see constant and what seems to be "rehearsed" provoking of the topic.

I hope he is reading this right now, because I just have one question for him: What on earth was the need to go to the newspaper? Laclair stated that he had a meeting with the principle, teacher, and the head of the social studies department and at first they did not seem to believe him but then he pulled out the cd's.....which in itself violated this teachers right to privacy.

So again, my question, after laclair proved himself with the cd's why did he not wait for administrative action to take place? There was no need to go to the newspaper, and I think in doing so, this Matthew laclair just proves that he is a 16 year old high school student, and therefore has ALOT to learn before he goes off starting religious wars, and pledge of allegiance protest in the United States of America, a country that has always, and especially since 9/11 shown great pride in our ONE NATION UNDER GOD!!!!

ps: a little side note for everyone reading this who disagrees: stating your views on religion and "forcing your beliefs on someone" is two COMPLELTY DIFFERENT THINGS.

so I would like to say to everyone who agrees or disagrees, we are all here in this nation, in this community together, and my religion is Roman Catholic, so when I say GOD BLESS YOU, I’m not forcing my views, I’m using my faith to wish you health and happiness

GOD BLESS you all

PPS: if this offends anyone then tough, because I AM offended that a wonderful teacher is being persecuted by an unknowledgeable juvenile for merely stating what he believes in. Also that this kid is living in MY COUTNRY where my friends and family have fought to keep our freedom and he turns his back on our president and our flag.

lippard blog: http://lippard.blogspot.com/2006/11/public...-class-you.html

Audio:

http://www.nj.com/cgi-bin/prxy/xmedia/nph-.../classaudio.mp3

Most of what you wrote is irrelevant to the central issue – which is, the teacher should not be espousing his religious viewpoints in a classroom. Whether Matthew LeClair is seeking attention or publicity or even leading the teacher on, (and I don’t for a minute believe that) is irrelevant. If a teacher had sex with a student and claimed that he was seduced, it would not be adequate defense. Religion has no place in the school or any public institutions.

My other question is: what if I were an atheist and in response to student questions start telling them the TRUTH – which is, that there is no god, and people who believe are delusional. Would you defend my right to express those views? Or would you call for my head?

Sadly, religious people are the least tolerant people of all. Instead of spouting inanities like “god bless you”, why don’t you show some empathy for the student, who is brave enough to stand up for the rights of the minority, albeit unpopular, viewpoint.

Bravo to Matthew! There is hope for the new generation!

Guest Guest_Jake_*

I'm a Marine, stationed in southern California. I have been to deployed on two combat tours to Iraq, and have served with the Marine Corps for 3 and a half years. Take that into account when reading the following comments...

Regardless of what any of you believe, feel, or think, Mr. LaClair was fully in the right in doing what he did. No, he did not have to do it, maybe it could have been resolved another way, but the bottom line is: HE HAD THE RIGHT. However, the teacher, Mr. Paszkiewicz, did NOT have the right to say what he did, regardless of him asking the class if they were ok with the discussion. Would it be ok for him to discuss pornography with the class if he had asked them if it was ok? No. The teacher is the one who bears the responsibility.

To those who say Mr. LaClair is immature, unAmerican, and unpatriotic, I say that, while possibly true, those statements are completely irrelevant to this discussion. His standing or not standing for the pledge of allegiance doesn't have any bearing on the current argument. The same goes for his protests against President Bush, and against "In God We Trust" on American currency.

Also, regardless of whether or not his parents or Mr. LaClair, himself, are just out for money, 15 minutes of fame, or anything else, the fact remains: THAT IS THEIR RIGHT.

Before you decide to trod on the rights of one, consider briefly what this disregard for the United States Constitution could do to the rights of many in the future. Where are we to stop? And who is to decide whose rights are ok to forfeit? Is it only if they're under 18 that we can take their rights away? Or perhaps if the majority just plain doesn't like them?

I do not agree with people burning flags, protesting our president, protesting the war, protesting the troops, or any such things, but I DO support their right to do so. Many people say things like "My grandfather died for your right to burn the flag". They say it meaning to stop the person from burning a flag, or whatever he's doing that they deem to be wrong. However, their grandfather DID die for that person's right to do that. No, he would not have approved, but all the same, he did die. He died for the right to do anything you choose, because this country is free, and that is why we are the greatest nation on earth.

Guest Dylan McArthur

The teacher told a Muslim girl she would go to hell. He tried to guilt-trip other students into accepting Jesus. This is way, way over the line.

Sure, he has the right to free speech---but if I'm at work, am I entitled to share my religious views in the middle of a meeting? As an American, I'm entitled to say what I want---but as the employee of a business, one half of a relationship in which I've agreed to perform a service, I'm certainly not. As an American, David Paszkiewicz can say whatever he wants...on his own time. But as a public school history teacher, i.e., a government employee, he needs to stick to history.

Many Christians are more attached to their religion than they are to their country. It wouldn't bother them a bit to see the Constitution altered to suit their beliefs. But the foundational idea of the U.S. is freedom from tyranny, religious or otherwise. Christian tyrannies are a dime a dozen throughout history, and we'll obviously be fighting a long time to make them completely a thing of the past.

Guest Memphis

My freedom of relgious expression allows me to choose to send my child to either:

a. A public school

b. A private Christian school

I would be horrified to find out that my child was subjected to repeated religious speeches and proselytizing, when I believed that my child was receiving an education that actually fell within the public school system curriculum.

It is very difficult for a teenager to stand up in front of his peers and demand change from authority. Isn't standing up for change, for what is right, and for American traditions something that is worth honoring?

Most likely, this young man will use this experience to grow intellectually. More than likely is the fact that if he becomes a future leader, he will do it outside of your town. Don't chase off those that are willing to fight for what is right in your community.

Guest J. M. M.
If its a history class, why did Matt LaClair ASK him about Religion? It was a trap, plain and simple. Matt asked the teacher a question about religion--and before the teacher answered he asked the class if they minded  he'' went in this direction'' to which there was a chorus of "no's"so he continued.

My child,who is a 16yr old at KHS, says this kid- besides refusing to stand for the "Pledge of Allegience" also complains that our money states " In God we trust"...I'll betcha anything he doesn't mind spending it though!

Excuse me, but I don't believe it's a crime to not stand for the pledge of allegience. Also, it's no crime either to complain about the design of currency. I can't believe that this Town is ganging up on teenager who's asserted his right to not be preached to in a public school atmosphere.

Oh Kearny,

Like it or not you are now on the World Stage and I'm afraid, reading many of the local resident's posts to this board, you're embarrassing yourself and your town quite severely for not behaving in accordance to the high standards set by your founding fathers.

You are embarrassing all who call ourselves Americans. Please consider themes such as reason, liberty, and open mindedness before posting to this board.

Thanks, and welcome to the 21st century.

Guest J. M. M.
Young Matthew is a hero and deserves praise for his courage. All the bigots defending David Paszkiewicz would not be so cozy if the teacher in question was named Mohammed Abdullah and if he told his class that only Allah is the path to salvation. What David Paszkiewicz did is reprehensible because he uses his government paid position and a captive audience to force his religious views on others.

Can any of the fundamentalist supporters of David Paszkiewicz dare answer this -

Would you support a teacher who used the same postion to preach Islam to his students? Would you? If not, you are a hypocrite and a bigot.

Peace.

Excellent point! Matthew is a first amendment advocate nothing more, nothing less. The teacher deserves to be suspended and admonished.

Guest Allah the Greatest God
FORGIVE ME IF IM WRONG THIS TEACHER TEACHES HISTORY AM I CORRECT? IF SO ALOT OF THE WORLDS PAST IS BASED ON RELIGION! COUNTRIES STILL TODAY FIGHT OVER IT. WHEN I WAS A KID RELIGION WAS PART OF OUR MORNING'S AT SCHOOL (PUBLIC) AND THERE WAS NO WELL, YOUR THIS RELIGION AND I AM ANOTHER B'S SO LETS NOT TALK ABOUT IT, OR I GONNA TELL IF YOU TALK ABOUT GOD OR THE COUNTRY. IF THIS KID IS A TROUBLE MAKER THEN DEAL WITH HIM ACCORDINGLY AND THIS SAME CHILD, YES I SAID CHILD DOESNT RESPECT THE LAWS OF OUR COUNTRY YES THE ONE THAT STATES ONE COUNTRY UNDER GOD THEN WHY WOULD ANYONE GIVE HIM OR ANY OTHERS LIKE HIM THE TIME OF DAY. THESE KIDS TODAY HAVE TO MANY LIBERTYS AND DO NOT FULLY UNDERSTAND HOW EASY MOST OF THEM HAVE IT IN LIFE, MUCH MORE OPPORTUNITYS AND EDUCATIONAL AVENUES THEY CAN UTILIZE. AND AS FOR THE TEACHER IF HE MAKES REFERENCE TO RELIGION IN SOME OF HIS LESSON'S THEN GOOD FOR HIM IF THE KIDS TODAY WOULD HAVE A GOOD UNDERSTANDING OF RELIGION WE WOULD PROBLY HAVE A BETTER SOCIETY OF PEOPLE.

A. Please stop typing in all caps, it looks like your hysterically screaming... which in reading your your post may be correct. If that is the case, calm down.

B. The issue is that this "educator" (pastor?) has been entrusted with the responsibility to teach and instruct his students without pushing his mythological beliefs on them, in any way. IF he was provoked by this kid, don't you think he should have the common sense, as an adult, to step away, and return to the actual subject of constitutional history.

C. If this was a Muslim imam and he began pushing the Koran on this class, wouldn't you take issue with it? Well would you?

Please keep mythology out our schools. It only causes these situations.

Guest J. M. M.
If you are from Kearny then by now you have heard a story that has been blown WAY OUT OF PROPORTION.

A student of KHS, one Matthew LaClair has gone to the newspaper stating that a teacher has been forcing his religious views in is history class.

Now I am all for having freedom of speech, but I also believe every subject has a place and time for discussion; and religion in a history class is not that place.

HOWEVER!!!! This 16 year old CHILD, is nothing more than an attention seeking, immature person, who is also been known to "previously garnered attention for protesting Bush administration activities by refusing to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance" (the lippar blog) I will include this website at the end of my rant!

This kid thinks he is so self rightcious and claims he “was requesting an apology and correction of false and anti-scientific statements" (the lippard blog).

If you listen to the audio (which I will also supply the site to) you can clearly hear that Laclair PROVOKED the conversation, and you can hear that the teacher had responded QUITE APPROPRIATELY:

One example being:

Matthew: isn't the whole point of public schools is so that you can separate personal beliefs from teachers and administrators from non religious teachings during school, like school prayer and all that.

teacher: the purpose of public school is to provide free education for people that couldn't afford education. That’s the purpose of public school

Matthew: what would decide what religion should be taught in school, what would decide that?

teacher: no it's not about teaching, my point is it's not about teaching religion, these issues all come up in time, ( tape fades out) things get legislated and we talk in class

the public school shouldn't teach a religion but the scriptures aren't religion they are a foundation of the worlds religion, the world main religion any way.

religion is a set way of doing things

In the conversation above, taken my Matthew Laclair himself, i see no wrong doing by this teacher, i do however see constant and what seems to be "rehearsed" provoking of the topic.

I hope he is reading this right now, because I just have one question for him: What on earth was the need to go to the newspaper? Laclair stated that he had a meeting with the principle, teacher, and the head of the social studies department and at first they did not seem to believe him but then he pulled out the cd's.....which in itself violated this teachers right to privacy.

So again, my question, after laclair proved himself with the cd's why did he not wait for administrative action to take place? There was no need to go to the newspaper, and I think in doing so, this Matthew laclair just proves that he is a 16 year old high school student, and therefore has ALOT to learn before he goes off starting religious wars, and pledge of allegiance protest in the United States of America, a country that has always, and especially since 9/11 shown great pride in our ONE NATION UNDER GOD!!!!

ps: a little side note for everyone reading this who disagrees: stating your views on religion and "forcing your beliefs on someone" is two COMPLELTY DIFFERENT THINGS.

so I would like to say to everyone who agrees or disagrees, we are all here in this nation, in this community together, and my religion is Roman Catholic, so when I say GOD BLESS YOU, I’m not forcing my views, I’m using my faith to wish you health and happiness

GOD BLESS you all

PPS: if this offends anyone then tough, because I AM offended that a wonderful teacher is being persecuted by an unknowledgeable juvenile for merely stating what he believes in. Also that this kid is living in MY COUTNRY where my friends and family have fought to keep our freedom and he turns his back on our president and our flag.

lippard blog: http://lippard.blogspot.com/2006/11/public...-class-you.html

Audio:

http://www.nj.com/cgi-bin/prxy/xmedia/nph-.../classaudio.mp3

This is Matthew's Country too!...And as for your statement about "Our President and Our Flag." There's no law that says civilians have to stand for him or the flag. If you're offended at that, tough.

There's a famous quote..when the Facists come marching in this country, it won't be in brown shirts. They'll come carrying Bibles and Crosses. Be Aware People, Be Aware. Jesus wasn't a republican.