KHS Teacher Controversy

Guest Unknown

You are a twit.  Here's some of your own back at you.  How many periods are in an elipsis and what is its correct use?  Your grammar is atrocious as well.  It's not surprising that you would be on the teacher's side of the argument.  Instead of pointing out typos in an informal forum and being petty why don't make an actual argument.  Until then you'll have to pardon me if I suggest you piss off.

John? Jim's brother? Yes, I know all about what you are talking about, I combined three of "them" together on purpose to make the pause longer. On purpose...(that's three, better for you?) poetic license. By the way, they're not periods, they're dots! A period is a single dot with a specific purpose. They're not combined periods! Point out where my grammar is atrocious. Using more dots (that you call periods) is atrocious grammar? Atrocious? Not just slightly off? You say typos. Resonses? Memebers? You think those are just typos? Even if they were, typos are the easiest thing in the world to fix, just read what you typed and if you are smart enough to spell correctly or use a spell check, FIX THEM! Let me help you out some more.........................................................went for coffee, "period" key got stuck. One space after a period, you know the single dot I mentioned. Two spaces on a typewriter, one for word processing and electronic writing. At least get into the 90's! One further piece of advice JimJohn, the word you are referring to is spelled ellipses. Guess that was a typo huh?

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John? Jim's brother? Yes, I know all about what you are talking about, I combined three of "them" together on purpose to make the pause longer. On purpose...(that's three, better for you?) poetic license. By the way, they're not periods, they're dots! A period is a single dot with a specific purpose. They're not combined periods! Point out where my grammar is atrocious. Using more dots (that you call periods) is atrocious grammar? Atrocious? Not just slightly off? You say typos. Resonses? Memebers? You think those are just typos? Even if they were, typos are the easiest thing in the world to fix, just read what you typed and if you are smart enough to spell correctly or use a spell check, FIX THEM! Let me help you out some more.........................................................went for coffee, "period" key got stuck. One space after a period, you know the single dot I mentioned. Two spaces on a typewriter, one for word processing and electronic writing. At least get into the 90's! One further piece of advice JimJohn, the word you are referring to is spelled ellipses. Guess that was a typo huh?

i would just like to say i could care less about what will happen to the teacher.... just remember that your son... has no friends.... your son will get no ***... and please .... buy that little F**K somthing for his face the glair from his greasy face was almost blinding on tv your son most likely eats lunch alone...

KOTW Note: The above post was edited for content.

Not only is it his right, he's making a point. Some may not agree with the point, but it's an important one. Our country is at war, or at least that's what it's called. 65 years ago we were in another war.  In that war (WWII), every American sacrificed tangibly to aid the war effort: Americans accepted rationing, did with less, bought war bonds, etc. By contrast, there is no shared sacrifice today. Instead, we see folks driving around alone in their SUVs while our soldiers are fighting a war for cheap oil, and some people seem to think they're being patriotic because they put a yellow ribbon on the gas-guzzling monster. As Bill Maher puts it, our soldiers are at war, we're shopping.

Patriotic rituals have their place, but when an entire nation is acting like this, and then waving the flag harder than ever, the symbol has taken the place of real citizenship. Historically, that leads to dictatorship, so it's not much of a surprise that the Bush administration has taken us in precisely that direction. Yelling "Go, USA" at the top of our lungs is no substitute for becoming an active part of the team. Refusing to go along with mere cheerleading at the cost of being unpopular is an act of true patriotism.

It's fascinating how many of the people who don't get it remind us we are free to leave. To my understanding, the most basic principle of being an American is freedom. Those who don't agree with that concept are as free to leave as anyone else.

Of course, no one is forced to agree with his politics. But to say that Matthew is spitting on anything or anyone is disrespectful to him and extremely close-minded.

I do not agree, your premise that we are at war for cheaper gas is wrong. We are at war because we were attacked on 9-11-01! We are at war because we are a "free" country and cherish that freedom more than anything!! My point is simply this: I feel the current adm. knows there are crazy despots running countries all over the world. They are afraid of Bush and this country because they think he is a texan with a six-shooter; therefore they will think twice before they back or harbor terrorists within their borders. THE FLAG IS OUR SYMBOL OF OUR FREEDOM ASK ANY OF THE FOREIGNERS HERE IN THE USA - INCLUDING OUR ANCESTORS!!! WHEN I TAUGHT IN A PUBLIC SCHOOL, WE PLEDGED ALLEGIANCE EACH MORNING. ANYONE NOT CHOOSING TO STAND AT ATTENTION (in my homeroom) WAS SENT TO THE OFFICE FOR THE TIME PERIOD ALLOCATED FOR THIS IN THE MORNING. The reason was twofold: they were not ostracized by their peers and the FLAG THAT WE WERE PLEDGING gave them the right not to have to participate in the actual pledge! It's not wrong to teach children discipline and it's not all about them, but society in general! SOME PEOPLE THINK IT'S ALL ABOUT THEM AND LOVE TO BE THE CENTER OF ATTENTION!!! IT'S NOT!!!

I do not agree, your premise that we are at war for cheaper gas is wrong. We are at war because we were attacked on 9-11-01! We are at war because we are a "free" country and cherish that freedom more than anything!! My point is simply this: I feel the current adm. knows there are crazy despots running countries all over the world. They are afraid of Bush and this country because they think he is a texan with a six-shooter; therefore they will think twice before they back or harbor terrorists within their borders. THE FLAG IS OUR SYMBOL OF OUR FREEDOM ASK ANY OF THE FOREIGNERS HERE IN THE USA - INCLUDING OUR ANCESTORS!!!  WHEN I TAUGHT IN A PUBLIC SCHOOL, WE PLEDGED ALLEGIANCE EACH MORNING. ANYONE NOT CHOOSING TO STAND AT ATTENTION (in my homeroom) WAS SENT TO THE OFFICE FOR THE TIME PERIOD ALLOCATED FOR THIS IN THE MORNING. The reason was twofold: they were not ostracized by their peers and the FLAG THAT WE WERE PLEDGING gave them the right not to have to participate in the actual pledge! It's not wrong to teach children discipline and it's not all about them, but society in general! SOME PEOPLE THINK IT'S ALL ABOUT THEM AND LOVE TO BE THE CENTER OF ATTENTION!!!  IT'S NOT!!!

Not that it has much to do with this discussion, but more than 70% of the American people, and nearly the whole world now know that our entry into Iraq at the time we did and the way we did was, is and will be a colossal disaster. This will be recorded as perhaps the worst foreign policy misadventure in our history. As for the reasons, Bush admitted after the recent election that cheap oil was why we went into Iraq. How convenient that the administration is full of oil men.

I doubt that you'll answer the question, but do you really not see the contradiction in forcing someone to recite a pledge designed to honor and celebrate freedom?

i would just like to say i could care less about what will happen to the teacher.... just remember that your son... has no friends.... your son will get no ***... and please .... buy that little F**K somthing for his face the glair from his greasy face was almost blinding on tv your son most likely eats lunch alone...

Sir Winston Churchill is reputed to have had a running feud with Lady Astor. One day, she told him, "Sir, were I your wife, I would give you poison," to which Sir Winston replied: "Madam, were I your husband, I would gladly take it." Matthew is happy with his friends, thank you.

My son? I'm not Paul...(ok JimBob) Glair?

I prove my loyalty to this country every day when I obey her laws, pay my taxes and excercise my right to vote. (I have never served in the military, but our president would miserably fail that same test.) The pledge was designed to help immigrants to the US feel like they were part of America, it is not a litmus test to be thrown in the faces of her citizens.

I find it ironic that the same person that calls the student a spot-light-grabbing adolescent (or something to that effect) argues that the teacher was baited and trapped by the same student. Who is the adult here??

Sir Winston Churchill is reputed to have had a running feud with Lady Astor. One day, she told him, "Sir, were I your wife, I would give you poison," to which Sir Winston replied: "Madam, were I your husband, I would gladly take it." Matthew is happy with his friends, thank you.

Paul, don;t you have a job? Every time I come here, I have to read what Paul LaClair has to say...it is annoying....I CAN"T care LESS about what you have to say. Stop trying to make people believe like you do! Go to work and forget about KHS! Leave us alone! Get over with it! Thanks!!!!!

ps: I am just so glad I am not your client. You don't work...you spend the day posting in this blog!

Paul, don;t you have a job? Every time I come here, I have to read what Paul LaClair has to say...it is annoying....I CAN"T care LESS about what you have to say. Stop trying to make people believe like you do! Go to work and forget about KHS! Leave us alone! Get over with it! Thanks!!!!!

ps: I am just so glad I am not your client. You don't work...you spend the day posting in this blog!

I write fast. Is someone forcing you to participate?

When is this all going to end? When the board does something about the sub standared teacher that is in our school system... Everyone in this town should praise Paul Le Claire and his son for bringing this to everyones attention!!!

Why can't the town people see what was being taught is school was ILLEGAL!!! It's a disgrace to the public school system.... No level headed teacher should stand for it!!! But hey.... they have to stand behind there union members right? WRONG!!! He's making the whole system look like shit!!! Stop defending him...

I think that the teacher could have been a little more tactful in his statements but they were completely legal. what better place to discuss religion then in a HISTORY class, because as anyone with half a brain can see history is filled with religious conflicts and decisions based on religion.

The kid watever the heck his name was, and btw he is a disgrace to that name, should be punished instead. If hes as right as he thinks he is, then why is at least half the town against him? Suspension, expulsion, i dont care, but something must be done. This whole family sounds a bit shady to me. They should just keep their noses out of things. Theyre from some cult or another right? so of course theyre gonna jump on everyone who tells them the truth, that they will go to HELL if they dont leave the cult.

POWER TO THE TEACHER WHO STOOD UP FOR WHAT IS RIGHT AND HOLY!!!!!!!!!!!

DOWN WITH THE FAMILY WHO GOT HIM IN TROUBLE FOR SPREADING GOD'S MESSAGE!!!!!!

Guest Georgio

I commend you Paul and Matthew!

To everyone out there who has been bashing them, just remember it is not the concept of God or religion or even the school/legal system of America that is the problem here...it the very tragic concept that ALL people must follow ONE PARTICULAR religion, or they are condemned in this world and the next.

Just like the teacher feels all non Christians are going to hell...guess what, all you self righteous defenders of his "MY way or hell" viewpoint??? The freaks who flew into the Towers all think YOU'RE GOING TO HELL!! Don't you understand? It's not about religion. The problem is INTOLERANCE.

I think the world has the potential to be so much more peaceful, and less ignorant if people of different faiths could all pray and worship in their own way (whatever that is) and accept that they are seeking the same peace and praying to the SAME GOD.

"Religion is nothing more than an a vehicle, like a boat, some people prefer rowboats, some like kayaks, some like yachts, others, sails...but they all carry you to the same island, which is DIVINITY. "

May God (and Goddess) bless you all!

Guest Guest101

Teaching and proseltizing a specific religious viewpoint in a public school classroom is both wrong and a violation of separation of church and state. Any teacher in a multi-religious or ethnic neighbourhood wouldn't do this type of thing, but in smaller towns certain rules are enforced and others are not.

A person in authority telling kids who aren't their own (that if they are not Christian, they will go to hell is outrageous (or your own congregation (maybe) if you're a religious teacher or leader). I can't believe this guy is allowed to continue to teach.

Dinosaurs got off Noah's Ark?

I am simply astonished that people are defending the teacher in this situation.

I am a very religious person. In fact, I worked as a Christian missionary in a foreign country for twenty-four months. It was my JOB to proselytize and encourage people to come to Jesus. I still look for opportunities to share the gospel, politely and respectfully, with people around me.

But my job, the thing I get paid for, is to be a teacher. When I'm in the classroom, I'm on my employer's time, not my own time. It is not my position, in the classroom, to expound my personal doctrinal beliefs, but to teach the curriculum that my employer has instructed me to teach. And it is certainly not my position to tell muslim or jewish students that they have to accept Jesus or go to hell! That is just plain wrong. If that's what the teacher wants to do, he should quit his job, buy a sandwich sign, and pace the sidewalk in front of the school!!!

One more question: Do all of you who are trash-talking this kid and his parents think Jesus is proud of you for your meanness? Do you think Jesus like's it when you call the kid a "pole smoker" and make threats against him and say he should be suspended from school? You people are pathetic. You should be ashamed of yourselves. That aint the Gospel. Jesus doesn't like it when people act like @$$holes. And I suspect he hates kissups.

You should be less worried about Christ being taken out of schools and be more worried about Christ being absent in the hearts of Christians.

Guest Concerned Educator

As an educator, Mr. Paszkiewicz could have done the responsible, and professional thing (even if he was being baited), by declining to reply and moving on with the topic to which he was assigned to teach his class.

Matthew LaClaire is a young man and a student. He is also an individual, and a person who may not hold the beliefs of the majority, that certainly does not make him uneducated. In fact, I would posit that he is quite the contrary.

LaClaire has the right to claim he has been offended, and the evidence to back that statement. I have to agree with you, there may be something unjust about his recording during class without the awareness of the teacher (entrapment), however, a public high school classroom is certainly not a private place, or a place where one should feel the right to privacy- hence the "public".

It makes sense that a person who does not wish to say "under God" while reciting the Pledge of Allegiance may also be offended by a teacher who discussed, extensively, his religious beliefs during school, so boundlessly, in fact, that he claimed those who did not believe in them "belong[ed] in hell". As a teacher, Mr. Paszkiewicz needs to demonstrate respect for the many different cultures in the world, and our country in particular, today.

As for his opinions on President Bush, luckily, as Americans, we have the freedom to criticize and disagree with those who run the country. We should all be very grateful for the rights we have to our opinions; and we should be protective of one another's civil liberties. We aren't respecting our country, its founding fathers, and those who fought for our freedoms if we don't support our individual rights.

Thanks to federalist paper #10, and the Constitution with its amendments, Matthew LaClaire, like the rest of us, has the ability to disagree with the "tyranny of the majority", and expect that someone will strive to protect his individual liberties.

I hope this response does not come off as offensive, especially since I value your right to your own opinion. It is nice that you care for Mr. Paszkiwicz, and I am sure he is blessed with a congregation and community that loves him deeply.

Take Care & Happy Holidays to everyone!

You're so silly.  You'd rather have a robot teaching the kids than a person who is willing to give his or her opinion and lead an open discussion, even an off topic one.

Stop acting like this teacher was baptizing kids against their will in his classroom.  LaClair had plenty of options, especially since his father is a lawyer.  Instead he chose to tape this teacher, without the teacher knowing it, which is probably in violation of the teacher's rights and his contract. 

You're talking about dignity?!?! LaClair needs to learn a few lessons about dignity.

Just a little legal lesson: a third party cannot be bound by a contract between 2 other parties. In this case, no matter what the teacher's contract with the school stated, the student would no be bound by it. Before you start yapping your mouth, make know what you are talking about first.

Guest guest abroad
I think that the teacher could have been a little more tactful in his statements but they were completely legal. what better place to discuss religion then in a HISTORY class, because as anyone with half a brain can see history is filled with religious conflicts and decisions based on religion.

The kid watever the heck his name was, and btw he is a disgrace to that name, should be punished instead. If hes as right as he thinks he is, then why is at least half the town against him? Suspension, expulsion, i dont care, but something must be done. This whole family sounds a bit shady to me. They should just keep their noses out of things. Theyre from some cult or another right? so of course theyre gonna jump on everyone who tells them the truth, that they will go to HELL if they dont leave the cult.

POWER TO THE TEACHER WHO STOOD UP FOR WHAT IS RIGHT AND HOLY!!!!!!!!!!!

DOWN WITH THE FAMILY WHO GOT HIM IN TROUBLE FOR SPREADING GOD'S MESSAGE!!!!!!

Interesting you use the word discuss. Discussions are usually with multiple parties with no one taking precedence over the other. If there is someone with whom has more power, usually that person is someone with knowledge who will lead the participants into a discussion by taking an unbiased stance. Teachers usually take this role in discussions. They play "devil's advocate" to get the students to think critically about all sides of an issue. They have to understand both sides, or at least question their own thoughts on the issue.

What is happening here is NOT a discussion. Rather, it is a person in power manipulating those not in power. He MIGHT be right, he might be wrong, but it is not his place to impose his views on others. Rather, he must let his students form their own opinions which would result in a richer discussion. Bravo to him for trying to "save a soul," but you can't save anyone by threatening them. If you hold a gun into someone's face and tell them to follow you and your ways, they do it out of fear and not trust or belief. Isn't this about quality and not quantity? Its better to have someone believe your arguments through rational discussion than by beating them into submission.

Even if it was a history class, religion has caused MANY BAD things. I'm mostly thinking about Christian atrocities. Its a great place to discuss religion and how it has affected the world. BUT it should not be a place where information is skewed and any particular group is demonized. Both sides of any conflict are both demons and angels.

This kid did the right thing. He recognized a problem and spoke out. This is what this country was founded on. We live in a country where we have the freedom from oppression. He was obviously being oppressed by having opinions forced on him. Not only forced but also threatened. That teacher does have the freedom of speech, but he does not have the freedom to oppress others, ESPECIALLY since he is a teacher. He has the responsibility to present the facts as they are and allow students to form their own opinions. I fear the day when americans completely become lemmings and simply follow the opinions of a select few.

Finally, food for thought.... Jesus associated himself with the outcasts of society. He didn't force anyone to believe him. He even died NOT forcing anyone to believe him. The important thing is not to fight for him, but follow his actions. Everyone gets so caught up on who's right. In fact, they'd rather be right than understanding. But rather than do that, why not follow his teachings instead like giving, compassion, and UNDERSTANDING.

"PPS: if this offends anyone then tough, because I AM offended that a wonderful teacher is being persecuted by an unknowledgeable juvenile for merely stating what he believes in. Also that this kid is living in MY COUTNRY where my friends and family have fought to keep our freedom and he turns his back on our president and our flag."

Didn't these people fight for Matthew's right to turn his back on a president that he disagrees with??

"HOWEVER!!!! This 16 year old CHILD, is nothing more than an attention seeking, immature person, who is also been known to "previously garnered attention for protesting Bush administration activities by refusing to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance"

How do these actions in anyway relate to the matter at hand? Is your point that if someone disagrees with the president or considers the act of pledging allegiance to a flag within a democratic country absurd that they shouldn't have any rights?

If its a history class, why did Matt LaClair ASK him about Religion? It was a trap, plain and simple. Matt asked the teacher a question about religion--and before the teacher answered he asked the class if they minded  he'' went in this direction'' to which there was a chorus of "no's"so he continued.

My child,who is a 16yr old at KHS, says this kid- besides refusing to stand for the "Pledge of Allegience" also complains that our money states " In God we trust"...I'll betcha anything he doesn't mind spending it though!

WRONG!!! Mr. P was already discussing religion! And anyway if the teacher is incapable of deflecting a student's inapropriate quetions then he shouldn't be teaching. Whose class is it anyway? Mr. P could have simply stated that this was an inappropriate forum for such a discussion but that he would be happy to discuss the issue after class.

And even if Matt did refuse to stand for the pledge (which is his perogative in a "free" country) what does that have to do with Mr. P's inappropriate behavior.

And personally I, as a christian, am deeply offended that the phrase "in God we trust" is printed on our currency. Rememebr the money changers?? Mamon?? It shouldn't be there plain and simple.

For your info, he was teaching history. If you listened to the recording, which was on the internet yesterday, you will see and HEAR this little twit set the man up. How would YOU like to wake up in the morning and see your face on the front page of a local newspaper, on every tv station and radio station. What speaks volume is the students of KHS are outraged at this flagrant violation of not only this teacher's rights but every student in that classroom's right to speak their mind without the threat of being tape recorded. Every student in that classroom who contributed to this debate is now on the internet for the world to hear.At the end of the recording, you can hear "the little twit" sayin "Yeees"!  The only thing he has accomplished is alienating the few friends that he has, and publically embarrassing a Kearny family, a well respected teacher and coach, for WHAT? I'll tell you what, a minute of fame on televison.  Shame on 1010 Wins, the Jersey Journal and every media who are trying to make news, not report it. If you watched the news, the other students are jeering him for the jerk that he is. And remember, this is the same kid that refuses to stand for the flag salute when kids almost his age are dying for his rights. By the way, to his parents "your kid needs a bath & hair wash.

Yah!! How about you not forget this when you are trying to deny Matt his rights!!

But again we go back to how little respect kids today have for America and what it stands for. I also blame the parents who tolerate this kind of behavior from their children. Wasn't this "child" taught why he should stand for the Pledge?? Short of an open apology from the student and his parents, he should be suspended at the least!  :angry:

:):) Please enlighten us as to why exactly someone should stand for the pledge.... I try to honor our troops by doing something real for them instead of mindlessly stand up for some meaningless piece of indoctrination and pretending that it honors them. :):):):):):):)