School Uniforms

Guest Guest

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest M O M
Just wondering how everyone feels about the issue of school uniforms for Kearny?

I think it's a great idea. Just khakis and polo shirts for the boys, and either khakis or skirts for the girls. If this doesn't pass, than at least impliment a dress code. The way some of these kids go to school is a disgrace. If their not dressed according to a dress code, call a parent and send them home, that simple. When parents get tired of getting calls at work, or having to come pick up their kids, they'll be more careful of how they let them leave the house in the morning. Please don't say "it will takeaway from their indivitualality" or "they have a right to dress the way they want" because thats bull. Uniforms (or a dress code) will stop the pressure to wear the best, buy the best, or be the best. This should apply to all students through the 8th grade. I believe in high school people look less at price or brand of your clothes. Dress however you want after school, this will help them concentrate more on school and less on their appearance.

I understand surveys are being sent home with every student, hopefully parents will do the right thing and not leave it up to the "Board Members" to decide. :angry:

Guest Guest

I think it's a great idea. Just khakis and polo shirts for the boys, and either khakis or skirts for the girls. If this doesn't pass, than at least impliment a dress code. The way some of these kids go to school is a disgrace. If their not dressed according to a dress code, call a parent and send them home, that simple. When parents get tired of getting calls at work, or having to come pick up their kids, they'll be more careful of how they let them leave the house in the morning. Please don't say "it will takeaway from their indivitualality" or "they have a right to dress the way they want" because thats bull. Uniforms (or a dress code) will stop the pressure to wear the best, buy the best, or be the best. This should apply to all students through the 8th grade. I believe in high school people look less at price or brand of your clothes. Dress however you want after school, this will help them concentrate more on school and less on their appearance.

I understand surveys are being sent home with every student, hopefully parents will do the right thing and not leave it up to the "Board Members" to decide. :angry:

It is worse in high school than grade school. That's how I remember it.

im against uniforms and their is a dress code but the kearny school systems lost its nerve and doesn't try to enforce the dress code policy they have. And I was at this BOE meeting and from my understanding if I wanted to go into to go into KHS, being i go to a different school, all i would have to do is say i forgot my uniform and then i'd be sent to the school nurse who would give me the shirt. If we cant enforce dress code, id cards, and school violence how is the kearny school systems goin to enforce this one. Whats so wrong with enforcing the policies we already have?

Guest M O M
It is worse in high school than grade school. That's how I remember it.

Your right, I apologize, it is sometimes worse in High School....but I do believe it is best for the grammer school kids to wear uniform. They wear pants and shirts anyway, so why not have it say the name of their school instead of some something trashy.

Guest Guest_Frankie_*
:o I am for it, I have two grandsons in grammer school and believe me even at that age some of these kids look like they are wearingthier fathers clothes, even the girls

Guest Guest
:D I am for it, I have two grandsons in grammer school and believe me even at that age some of these kids look like they are wearingthier fathers clothes, even the girls

:o I am also for school uniforms. My child is in first grade and I think it would teach our children discipline and respect. The way these children dress is disgraceful and the high school children set no examlpe. I think it would be alot cheaper then to try and keep up with the latest trends.

Guest Parent

NO SCHOOL UNIFORMS, LET THE PARENTS DO THERE JOB. CONTROL WHAT THERE CHILDREN LEAVE THE HOUSE IN. I WILL NOT VOTE YES, AND I WILL NOT BUY A UNIFORM.

Guest mothersofinvention
<_< I am for it, I have two grandsons in grammer school and believe me even at that age some of these kids look like they are wearingthier fathers clothes, even the girls

Now if we could only get the local paper -- The Kearny Journal -- to give this issue some coverage, instead of the half-baked pablum The Observer printed on its front page this week.

Guest Guest
NO SCHOOL UNIFORMS, LET THE PARENTS DO THERE JOB.  CONTROL WHAT THERE CHILDREN LEAVE THE HOUSE IN.  I WILL NOT VOTE YES, AND I WILL NOT BUY A UNIFORM.

That's the problem, the parents aren't doing their jobs by dressing their kids properly, and the parents won't let the schools enforce the dress code.

Now everything will be handled for you.

Guest Parent/Taxpayer

Just some info I would like to share.

The BOE has sent surveys home with the students. They are due back by 6/13/06. The parents are asked to check yes or no for the uniforms and may give a comment. What the survey does not say is that your child will be punished for not wearing a uniform that you are forced to purchase. The survey does not tell you that as taxpayers, you will be forced to purchase uniforms for all the children in the district that can not afford one. Not just one per child, but if the family is low-income, guess what not only are you buying your childs uniforms, but everyone else's. Now I do not have a problem with taxes for for education. Our children are the future and education is the #1 priority. I do have a problem with a school board purchasing uniforms when the money just isn't there. The budget did not pass and if we find money for something new this year, it should be a teacher, not uniforms.

The BOE has not voted on this yet, let your voice be heard. Tell them that you are tired of paying for non essentials. You need to speak up. I know that I will be at the 6/19/06 meeting giving my input. I hope that you all try to attend.

Guest Guest

The BOE has sent surveys home with the students.  They are due back by 6/13/06.  The parents are asked to check yes or no for the uniforms and may give a comment.  What the survey does not say is that your child will be punished for not wearing a uniform that you are forced to purchase.  The survey does not tell you that as taxpayers, you will be forced to purchase uniforms for all the children in the district that can not afford one.  Not just one per child, but if the family is low-income, guess what not only are you buying your childs uniforms, but everyone else's.  Now I do not have a problem with taxes for for education.  Our children are the future and education is the #1 priority.  I do have a problem with a school board purchasing uniforms when the money just isn't there.  The budget did not pass and if we find money for something new this year, it should be a teacher, not uniforms.

The BOE has not voted on this yet, let your voice be heard.  Tell them that you are tired of paying for non essentials.  You need to speak up.  I know that I will be at the 6/19/06 meeting giving my input.  I hope that you all try to attend.

Welcome to reality. You are paying for everything else for those people, so why not uniforms.

Guest Guest

I say yes to uniforms. This way kids who can't afford the best designer clothes,don't have to worry about kids looking better then them. They all look the same. Plus it is cheaper for parents who can't afford new clothes every september. YES TO UNIFORMS.

Guest Guest

Its not fair for those who have their closets full of clothes. What are we supposed to do with them if our kids aren't allowed to wear them. Its a waste of our money because some stupid immature students wear garbage on them. The "smart" students wear normal clothes while the "gansters" wear these horrible clothes.

Guest Parent

The BOE has sent surveys home with the students.  They are due back by 6/13/06.  The parents are asked to check yes or no for the uniforms and may give a comment.  What the survey does not say is that your child will be punished for not wearing a uniform that you are forced to purchase.  The survey does not tell you that as taxpayers, you will be forced to purchase uniforms for all the children in the district that can not afford one.  Not just one per child, but if the family is low-income, guess what not only are you buying your childs uniforms, but everyone else's.  Now I do not have a problem with taxes for for education.  Our children are the future and education is the #1 priority.  I do have a problem with a school board purchasing uniforms when the money just isn't there.  The budget did not pass and if we find money for something new this year, it should be a teacher, not uniforms.

The BOE has not voted on this yet, let your voice be heard.  Tell them that you are tired of paying for non essentials.  You need to speak up.  I know that I will be at the 6/19/06 meeting giving my input.  I hope that you all try to attend.

Hello!! You have to pay for your childs clothing, no matter what they have on!! Why should you not have to pay for whatever they wear?!?!

Guest Townsman
Hello!! You have to pay for your childs clothing, no matter what they have on!! Why should you not have to pay for whatever they wear?!?!

I'm all for the uniforms.

This is a win win for all.

The pressure is taken off our administrators, who don't have the B@LLS to enforce a NORMAL dress code, parents who give in to their childrens pressure of buying inappropriate clothing and kids who experience peer pressure to wear the IN thing.

Guest Guest
Its not fair for those who have their closets full of clothes.  What are we supposed to do with them if our kids aren't allowed to wear them.  Its a waste of our money because some stupid immature students wear garbage on them.  The "smart" students wear normal clothes while the "gansters" wear these horrible clothes.

:( So what you are saying is that people with money are smarter than people who have less? You just proved how stupid you really are!!! A$$hole.

Guest Guest
:(    TOTALLY  AGAINST UNIFORMS. :P

It has no educational value. ONLY $$$$ FOR SUPPLIERS.

PARENTS NEED TO BE INVOLVED MORE ;)

THE PARENTS NEEDED TO BE MORE INVOLVED. YOU BLEW IT!!!! NOW THE BOE WILL DO YOUR JOB FOR YOU!!!

Guest WHAT!!!!
:(    TOTALLY  AGAINST UNIFORMS. :P

It has no educational value. ONLY $$$$ FOR SUPPLIERS.

PARENTS NEED TO BE INVOLVED MORE ;)

Are you joking??? more money for suppliers...how about all the money spent on name brand clothes? Deal with it, uniforms are happening, like it or not.

EVERY parent I've spoken to has indicated YES on the survey sent home with their child. If parents got "involved" in the first place we wouldn't need uniforms. It's their responiblility to send their kids to school dressed appropriately, and they haven't. If the board does the right this, we'll have all the kids uniformed by October/November.

Archived