KHS Uniform Committee Meeting

Guest Parent

Guest Parent

KHS principal has formed a special committee to select uniforms for KHS students, only thing, he already made the selection and is just holding the meeting because he is legally obligated to get community input.

He is the superintendents puppet! When will the BOE remove the superintendent and take control of this district. The people in charge of the high school are a joke. The principal has no control and two of the three vp's are running the show. Whatever they say goes. Glad my kid won't be going there.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest
KHS principal has formed a special committee to select uniforms for KHS students, only thing, he already made the selection and is just holding the meeting because he is legally obligated to get community input.

He is the superintendents puppet! When will the BOE remove the superintendent and take control of this district. The people in charge of the high school are a joke. The principal has no control and two of the three vp's are running the show. Whatever they say goes. Glad my kid won't be going there.

Then Why do you give a sh!t ?

Guest Guest

Are they finally going to make the kids wear uniforms??

Guest Guest
Are they finally going to make the kids wear uniforms??

They're going to force them. They didn't have the guts to do it this year because LaClair was still there.

Guest Guest Who?
Because my tax dollars contribute to the salaries of these so called educators.

Nice language by the way.

You can solve that problem...move.

Guest KHS Parent
They're going to force them. They didn't have the guts to do it this year because LaClair was still there.

I totally agree with this statement I told this to my daughter when LaClair leaves the Uniforms will be enforced. I think this is stupid this is not a Catholic School it is a Public School the children should be able to wear what they want. Lets see my thoughts on this DO NOT PRAY in school, But wear our Uniform. Does not make sense to me. Matt LaClair should speak his peace on this topic. Maybe the Kids will be able to have freedom of there choice of clothes.

Guest Parent
You can solve that problem...move.

Why should I move? Why shouldn't I expect the best education for my tax dollars? The administration at the high school was put in place to educate the children in town, not fight with eachother or run their own business from their office. They need to set an example for the teachers who in turn will set an example for the students.

Guest KHS Alumnus
I totally agree with this statement I told this to my daughter when LaClair leaves the Uniforms will be enforced. I think this is stupid this is not a Catholic School it is a Public School the children should be able to wear what they want. Lets see my thoughts on this DO NOT PRAY in school, But wear our Uniform. Does not make sense to me. Matt LaClair should speak his peace on this topic. Maybe the Kids will be able to have freedom of there choice of clothes.

"The idea is that if kids wear uniforms to school, it helps to keep order. Hey! Don't these schools do enough damage makin' all these children THINK alike? Now they're gonna get 'em to LOOK alike, too? And it's not even a new idea; I first saw it in old newsreels from the 1930s, but it was hard to understand, because the narration was in German." --George Carlin

Matthew did speak his piece, but he's not going to be there next year, and so he doesn't have legal standing to do anything about it. One of the main reasons he did the things he did on these issues was to show people that this is still a free country where they can make a difference. He wasn't born with his reputation as someone who speaks his mind and does something; he earned it.

For myself, I don't think government should dictate to people what color clothes they put on in the morning, except in very limited circumstances that don't include the public schools. If you or your daughter wants something done, you do it. There are plenty of things students can do to challenge this and get it overturned. We'll give you advice if you want it, but this is your ball now. We're in the book.

Guest Charlie Brown
Matthew did speak his piece, but he's not going to be there next year, and so he doesn't have legal standing to do anything about it. One of the main reasons he did the things he did on these issues was to show people that this is still a free country where they can make a difference. He wasn't born with his reputation as someone who speaks his mind and does something; he earned it.

For myself, I don't think government should dictate to people what color clothes they put on in the morning, except in very limited circumstances that don't include the public schools. If you or your daughter wants something done, you do it. There are plenty of things students can do to challenge this and get it overturned. We'll give you advice if you want it, but this is your ball now. We're in the book.

Why does everything have to be about people's rights and freedoms. Why can't school uniforms just be looked at as one less thing to have to worry about when your kids get up in the morning. My kids goes to Roosevelt. Take a look at the kids before or after school. They all still hold on to their individuality with their hair styles, sweaters/jackets, shoes/sneakers and more importantly, their personalities. None of these kids look the least effected by wearing uniforms. Good grief to all of you that have to make a big deal about everything. That's no way to go thru life!

Guest Guest
Why does everything have to be about people's rights and freedoms. Why can't school uniforms just be looked at as one less thing to have to worry about when your kids get up in the morning. My kids goes to Roosevelt. Take a look at the kids before or after school. They all still hold on to their individuality with their hair styles, sweaters/jackets, shoes/sneakers and more importantly, their personalities. None of these kids look the least effected by wearing uniforms. Good grief to all of you that have to make a big deal about everything. That's no way to go thru life!

Because Paul and the like love fighting these petty issues. No one with any sense accepts the analogy of school uniforms to Nazi Germany or Communist China.

Guest Guest

If you don't like people making a fuss, then why do you insist on dictating to other people and their kids what clothes they must wear?

If you can justify a particular color t-shirt and pants, why not all crew cuts and bobs? Why not require brown loafers, or black patent leather shoes? When does government telling you what to do cross the line?

Of course the kids move on and deal with it. So?

You never see your freedom being eaten away until it's gone. Each little piece you give up is no big deal - until you wake up one morning and find there's none left. If you don't believe me, read the history books.

Guest khsguest

Maybe when parents being to "parent" their children educators can get to the business of "educating".

The committee was opened to all students who wanted to submit an application to be considered...guess what....only a handful applied...

Honestly, no one is trying to take anything away from the students. I just dont get it...people complain about the KHS kids in 1 post and then in the next their are championing their rights. That is where the problem is....you want to exercise your childrens rights but only some of them and then you get annoyed that the "know" they have rights!

Be CONSISTENT!

I think I would be more worried about the overcrowed classrooms, the lack of elective choices in some subject matters, and the overall facilities before I got up in arms over khaki pants!

QUOTE (Paul @ Apr 15 2008, 04:54 AM)

Fascinating how this post, in particular, draws such a fierce reaction. I told Kearny Parent that we can’t fight this fight, it’s up to them now. Any yet somehow my just saying that draws two emotional responses.

Maybe to you a uniform is just one less thing to worry about. To me, it is a loss of a little bit of individuality. I don’t care how much. The point, to me, is that there’s no reason for it. Government shouldn’t be telling people to put on a uniform unless there’s a specific reason for it. Train an entire generation of kids to conform by putting on a brown shirt and a brown pair of pants in “the land of the free”; go along with it, even though you don’t like it in “the home of the brave” – I think a free country pays a heavy price for that. You don’t have to agree with me, but you can’t stop me from not liking it.

I think it’s exactly correct to say that the reason this didn’t happen this year is that Matthew would have driven them crazy, and they knew it, so they delayed implementation for a year. That doesn’t mean this is the end of it just because Matthew will be graduating. There are ways to stay within the rules and still drive them crazy that the administration can’t do anything to stop. Arm bands, political messages in big black letters on the uniform – they can’t do a thing about it, and they know it. When Matthew pointed this out to them before they put uniforms into the elementary and middle schools, they all just nodded. They know he’s right. They’re counting on no one figuring it out, or if they do figure it out, not doing anything about it.

How about a pair of clown shoes? All that has to happen for this to get ripped to shreds is for some kid, or a few who don’t like it to do all the things kids are still allowed to do. An inventive kid with some guts can make them wish they had never thought of a uniform. Sooner or later, some kid will.

Because in a free country, sooner or later, kids are going to get sick of this, and they’re going to insist on having this little bit of their freedom back. And then you’re going to see another battle much like the one in the 1960s, when we fought about the Beatles’ hair styles. In those days, girls weren’t allowed to wear pants, they had to wear a skirt or a dress. Today they’re not allowed to wear skirts or a dress, they must wear pants. When the dust settles and the kids get sick of it, guess who is going to win.

I’ve been told the same thing on every issue Matthew has taken up. People want to say they’re for freedom, but every time it comes time to show it – well, it’s not the right issue or the right time, or there’s always some excuse.

So if you can, think about what that means, and what happens to a country when it conditions its people that each tiny loss of one little bit of freedom doesn’t matter. Because I could as easily ask you why freedom isn’t important, even when it is.

Guest BLAH BLAH BLAH

Fascinating how this post, in particular, draws such a fierce reaction. I told Kearny Parent that we can’t fight this fight, it’s up to them now. Any yet somehow my just saying that draws two emotional responses.

Maybe to you a uniform is just one less thing to worry about. To me, it is a loss of a little bit of individuality. I don’t care how much. The point, to me, is that there’s no reason for it. Government shouldn’t be telling people to put on a uniform unless there’s a specific reason for it. Train an entire generation of kids to conform by putting on a brown shirt and a brown pair of pants in “the land of the free”; go along with it, even though you don’t like it in “the home of the brave” – I think a free country pays a heavy price for that. You don’t have to agree with me, but you can’t stop me from not liking it.

I think it’s exactly correct to say that the reason this didn’t happen this year is that Matthew would have driven them crazy, and they knew it, so they delayed implementation for a year. That doesn’t mean this is the end of it just because Matthew will be graduating. There are ways to stay within the rules and still drive them crazy that the administration can’t do anything to stop. Arm bands, political messages in big black letters on the uniform – they can’t do a thing about it, and they know it. When Matthew pointed this out to them before they put uniforms into the elementary and middle schools, they all just nodded. They know he’s right. They’re counting on no one figuring it out, or if they do figure it out, not doing anything about it.

How about a pair of clown shoes? All that has to happen for this to get ripped to shreds is for some kid, or a few who don’t like it to do all the things kids are still allowed to do. An inventive kid with some guts can make them wish they had never thought of a uniform. Sooner or later, some kid will.

Because in a free country, sooner or later, kids are going to get sick of this, and they’re going to insist on having this little bit of their freedom back. And then you’re going to see another battle much like the one in the 1960s, when we fought about the Beatles’ hair styles. In those days, girls weren’t allowed to wear pants, they had to wear a skirt or a dress. Today they’re not allowed to wear skirts or a dress, they must wear pants. When the dust settles and the kids get sick of it, guess who is going to win.

I’ve been told the same thing on every issue Matthew has taken up. People want to say they’re for freedom, but every time it comes time to show it – well, it’s not the right issue or the right time, or there’s always some excuse.

So if you can, think about what that means, and what happens to a country when it conditions its people that each tiny loss of one little bit of freedom doesn’t matter. Because I could as easily ask you why freedom isn’t important, even when it is.

please... Every post of yours about this issue (that I have read), demands that the individual rights of children (or anyone for that matter), should never be tread upon, subdued or restricted - ever. Where or when do you draw the line on an individual expressing whatever he or she desires? Irregardless of others in pursuit of expressing similar, but otherwise "individual" statements. Especially in a community setting where many are affected.

When does me, myself, mine take a backseat to - all y'all? Perhaps certain limits and or constraints on "freedom" or "personal liberty" is sometimes necessary (and not always evil).

Put it to a vote:

All those in favor... AYE! Against... NAY. I live by and "submit" to the numbers. [Minor children need not apply - It's in the rules, sorry.]

Guest Guest

Maybe, just maybe you have this wrong. Maybe parents do not want to fight this. The clown shoes might look perfect on Matthew or yourself but a school uniform just might work for these people. If you think it’s about people conforming, it is exactly that. Why not conform, you do. You put one bulbous leg into each pant leg right before you put one lumpy, flabby arm into each arm of your pressed shirt. Right after that putting on your suspenders that are needed because you need baggy pants cause form fitting one would tear right off. You put your suit jacket on right before combing your mop on top of your head that you call hair. Why? The answer is easy. The answer is to conform to society. You don't have to but it makes you more presentable in society. Just as it would make these fine students more presentable is society. Maybe then they do not have to post stickers all over their locker or wear skirts to try to claim their individuality like you son did. Your single sidedness of views just shows your ignorance to your surroundings. Or did we forget you do not even work in this state?

Guest Guest
please... Every post of yours about this issue (that I have read), demands that the individual rights of children (or anyone for that matter), should never be tread upon, subdued or restricted - ever. Where or when do you draw the line on an individual expressing whatever he or she desires? Irregardless of others in pursuit of expressing similar, but otherwise "individual" statements. Especially in a community setting where many are affected.

When does me, myself, mine take a backseat to - all y'all? Perhaps certain limits and or constraints on "freedom" or "personal liberty" is sometimes necessary (and not always evil).

Put it to a vote:

All those in favor... AYE! Against... NAY. I live by and "submit" to the numbers. [Minor children need not apply - It's in the rules, sorry.]

In other words, you don't want to hear it, and in addition to that, you distort it.

Why is it that everything he says is a demand, but forcing students to wear uniforms isn't?

If your side won, then why does his disagreement bother you? Why does he have to shut up for you to be satisfied?

Of course some limits are necessary. The question is, what limits and why. But you don't address that. How does a student wearing blue slacks instead of brown khakis affect you or the community?

As for majority rule, the way that works in this country is by a set of laws. "There's nothing they can do to stop it" means that the law won't allow the school to prevent students from wearing all kinds of things besides their uniforms. Just because the local school board votes for a uniform doesn't mean they can override state or federal law.

So what is this really all about? Why the anger? Where in the writings of our Founding Fathers does it say that once the majority decides something, the minority must shut up forevermore?

What are you really telling us about yourself?

Guest Guest
Maybe, just maybe you have this wrong. Maybe parents do not want to fight this.

KHS parent said she wasn't happy with the rule, but wanted Matthew to be the one to do something about it. Paul's response was exactly right.

Matthew can't be the only one to do something about what other people want. But considering the part of the post I deleted, it's easy to understand why no one else wants to.

I have spoken on this topic before. Unfortunately, I cannot do anything about it because I do not have standing. I will not be in KHS next year. But your daughter can challenge it. You can challange it. I will help out in any way I can, but somebody next year has to take the initiative if anything is going to change.

Maybe, just maybe you have this wrong. Maybe parents do not want to fight this. The clown shoes might look perfect on Matthew or yourself but a school uniform just might work for these people. If you think it’s about people conforming, it is exactly that. Why not conform, you do. You put one bulbous leg into each pant leg right before you put one lumpy, flabby arm into each arm of your pressed shirt. Right after that putting on your suspenders that are needed because you need baggy pants cause form fitting one would tear right off. You put your suit jacket on right before combing your mop on top of your head that you call hair. Why? The answer is easy. The answer is to conform to society. You don't have to but it makes you more presentable in society. Just as it would make these fine students more presentable is society. Maybe then they do not have to post stickers all over their locker or wear skirts to try to claim their individuality like you son did. Your single sidedness of views just shows your ignorance to your surroundings. Or did we forget you do not even work in this state?

The only thing you seem to have forgotten is your manners. So now that you've fired your entire intellectual arsenal, I'll exercise the privilege that KOTW affords me to respond.

The question of social norms is very interesting, and more complicated than most people realize. Most people look at their own customs without seeing all the assumptions that underlay them, and all the history behind them. There would be nothing wrong, in my view, with lawyers wearing a wider variety of clothing. In fact, female attorneys have more freedom then males. If women had been allowed at the bar hundreds of years ago, it might have developed very differently, either males being freer, or females being more restricted.

The point is, I chose to be a lawyer. I understood the informal requirements of my trade before ever setting foot in law school. That is not true of elementary and secondary school children, so your point is not well-taken.

We could try to have a thoughtful and respectful dialogue. We may never agree in our conclusions, but that won’t guarantee you that I won’t post here to express my opinions. When you post the way you just did, you make me think that my argument must have been pretty good to have gotten you so riled up.

What you don’t seem to understand is that freedom is not just about the individual. It is the essence of our democracy and our culture. And yet if individuals don’t stand up for it, who will? If you really look at who can’t accept what, I think you’ll see a very different picture than the one you’ve drawn yourself.

Guest parent

Uniforms seem to be the important issue at KHS.

It hides poor SAT scores, high drop out rates, lowering HSPA scores and administration that know little about educational issues.

Guest *dgas*

Hey buddy-you go ahead and support Matt LeClair. While you are doing that why don't you pat him on the back for not standing to salute the flag. He is a good role model for all of the kids in America.

Guest Parent
Hey buddy-you go ahead and support Matt LeClair. While you are doing that why don't you pat him on the back for not standing to salute the flag. He is a good role model for all of the kids in America.

Matt is a good role model. He stands up for what he believes in and for the law. While I think everyone should stand for the flag salute, it is Matt's right, not to.