Mayor Santos running out of excuses?

Guest Town Watch

Aternatives are many. The Mayor chose to let them pass for political reasons. The bonds were a band aid and now they are home to roost. So instead of cutting things like the inflated budget the board proposes every year he went the way of bonds. It is the Mayor and councils job to know what we can afford and can't. It's time for accountability from all who represent the town of Kearny. To you taxes going up is of little concern, I guess you can well afford the increase. Then there are those who are hanging on and trying to make ends meet. But their just whiniers right Paulie? When you speak of a reasonable person, do you mean people that are able to afford the yearly tax increases. Or those that have to work a second job to hang on to the American dream?

That's a cheap shot, and it has nothing to do with the issues. I understand that some of our citizens need every dollar. Belittling me doesn't make your case.

You're not going to help the people of Kearny just because you replace this mayor, unless you can show us that you really have a better alternative. You're making claims, but you're not backing them with any facts. Anyone can fire cheap shots like that, just like anyone can criticize Peyton Manning or Tom Brady if they couldn't throw the winning touchdown pass at the end of the game --- but let's see you try it, or find a better quarterback.

I'll make no secret of my biases. I like Al Santos because he acts like a professional, and so I'm inclined to believe him. I watched him take control of a town council that used to look like a mud-wrestling troup and turn it into a respectable, functioning body.

All I'm asking you to do is show me the evidence, and you're not doing it. OK, so the town bought some bonds, which are now coming due. What was the alternative, which you claim was better? Until you tell us that, you're not helping the poorest Kearny taxpayer one bit, because you're not offering a real alternative. If you can convince me that Al screwed up, and that someone else can do it better, I'll campaign against Al. Until then, you're still just whining.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a cheap shot, and it has nothing to do with the issues. I understand that some of our citizens need every dollar. Belittling me doesn't make your case.

You're not going to help the people of Kearny just because you replace this mayor, unless you can show us that you really have a better alternative. You're making claims, but you're not backing them with any facts. Anyone can fire cheap shots like that, just like anyone can criticize Peyton Manning or Tom Brady if they couldn't throw the winning touchdown pass at the end of the game --- but let's see you try it, or find a better quarterback.

I'll make no secret of my biases. I like Al Santos because he acts like a professional, and so I'm inclined to believe him. I watched him take control of a town council that used to look like a mud-wrestling troup and turn it into a respectable, functioning body.

All I'm asking you to do is show me the evidence, and you're not doing it. OK, so the town bought some bonds, which are now coming due. What was the alternative, which you claim was better? Until you tell us that, you're not helping the poorest Kearny taxpayer one bit, because you're not offering a real alternative. If you can convince me that Al screwed up, and that someone else can do it better, I'll campaign against Al. Until then, you're still just whining.

OK,so the Town bought some bonds! do you know how many times the Town went to the bondsman? This is only the first that have come due. So I say to you,

Paul you win. You just refuse to see the reality of what is going on. Like I said you win, OK? Oh ! who are you refering to by us? tell us, show us, WHO is us?

Guest Hysterical Hannah
Every single year this Mayor has been in office TAXES have gone up and up and up, When is this Town going to wake up and throw this guy out???  Start a petition drive now to recall MAYOR SANTOS    Enough is Enough!!!!!!!!!

Let's see. This topic started on August 12th and it is now September 20th. Wow, those imaginary signatures are really piling up on those imaginary petitions. Maybe that's because your imaginary charges don't make any sense to anyone with even a modicum of intelligence. What is wrong with you people? You can't recall an elected official because the costs of mandatory expenditures have increased.

For your next project, why not start a petition to stone the grocer because the price of bread went up!

Guest over-taxed Kearny senior
Let's see.  This topic started on August 12th and it is now September 20th.  Wow, those imaginary signatures are really piling up on those imaginary petitions.  Maybe that's because your imaginary charges don't make any sense to anyone with even a modicum of intelligence.  What is wrong with you people?  You can't recall an elected official because the costs of mandatory expenditures have increased.

For your next project, why not start a petition to stone the grocer because the price of bread went up!

Actually it makes a lot of political sense to wait until after the November election. The turn-out in this year's election will be dismal, whereas, next November's presidential election will have a greater turnout. Waiting on the petitions until after November is a wise move. Godspeed.

OK,so the Town bought some bonds! do you know how many times the Town went to the bondsman? This is only the first that have come due. So I say to you,

Paul you win. You just refuse to see the reality of what is going on. Like I said you win, OK?  Oh ! who are you refering to by us? tell us, show us, WHO is us?

How about we start with: Who are you? Do you even live in Kearny? Prove it.

Timing is everything. It will happen.

By the way, if you succeed in forcing a recall election, how much will that cost the taxpayers? And for what? How much more time until the next mayoral election?

I know you don't like to hear this. There are many people to whom the facts don't matter, and if they are presented with the facts, they get angry. But think for a change, before you end up costing the taxpayers money on a recall election.

By the way, if you succeed in forcing a recall election, how much will that cost the taxpayers? And for what? How much more time until the next mayoral election?

I know you don't like to hear this. There are many people to whom the facts don't matter, and if they are presented with the facts, they get angry. But think for a change, before you end up costing the taxpayers money on a recall election.

What do you care about what will cost to the taxpayers?

When you forced the BOE to do everything in your wish list.

Is the Anti-Defamation League coming here for free next week?

That was your idea and I'm sure the taxpayers are paying for that too.

Geez Paul- You sound like Mr. Bush and his cronies....They made a problem and now they want an alternative to the problem they created....And if you don't have one, you are wrong....Mr. Santos and his rubber stamp council have made a problem and they keep increasing taxes and you want someone to come up with an alternative??? I don't think so..They made the problem as have previous Dem regimes...It's always easier to blame other things or tell people that they must present an alternative....As for me, I'd rather spend my tax money on recall than on this town government..As for mandatory expenditures, there is a thing called negotiation for work contracts and that's the excuse these guys use...We're mandated by arbitration..Well you're not if you bargain and negotiate.......

Guest Recall Mayor Santos

If the Mayor was thinking in the first place, we wouldn't be talking about a recall election.

What do you care about what will cost to the taxpayers?

When you forced the BOE to do everything in your wish list.

Is the Anti-Defamation League coming here for free next week?

That was your idea and I'm sure the taxpayers are paying for that too.

No, the ADL is charging for the appearance. They were selected by the Board and their attorney, who felt the ADL had the best program to accomplish the job of some badly needed training.

Not every important thing is free, and yes the taxpayers are footing the bill. Be grateful it isn't a lot higher and tell the teachers to do their jobs, then it won't have to happen again. And I surely do care because I am one of the taxpayers.

This attitude that everything associated with any tax is bad, is asinine. Taxes buy services. No taxes, no services. The students weren't being properly educated, the teachers didn't seem to be up to speed (which explains why the students didn't have a clue), and the program was deemed necessary. Go argue with the Board if you don't like it. It's money well-spent.

Geez Paul- You sound like Mr. Bush and his cronies....They made a problem and now they want an alternative to the problem they created....And if you don't have one, you are wrong....Mr. Santos and his rubber stamp council have made a problem and they keep increasing taxes and you want someone to come up with an alternative???  I don't think so..They made the problem as have previous Dem regimes...It's always easier to blame other things or tell people that they must present an alternative....As for me, I'd rather spend my tax money on recall than on this town government..As for mandatory expenditures,  there is a thing called negotiation for work contracts and that's the excuse these guys use...We're mandated by arbitration..Well you're not if you bargain and negotiate.......

Give me a break. Every school district and every town face this issue.

You're still not saying anything. Trying to compare me to Bush doesn't address the issue, which has to do with the available alternatives. But hey, you're mad and nothing can get in the way of that right?

If the Mayor was thinking in the first place, we wouldn't be talking about a recall election.

Even if that was true, it doesn't address the question. How much would a recall cost, and is it worth it? On what basis?

You guys always do exactly the same thing. You whine because your taxes went up, or the water main broke, but you don't have a clue about a reasonable and practical alternative that would have prevented the problem or can solve it now. And when somebody calls you on the fact that you don't have a clue, you get angry and start calling names. Come on, you want to make a contribution to the community to help lower taxes, then make it. Get some facts, come up with a plan, and let's discuss it and get it done. I'd like lower taxes as much as you would. Give me a reason to vote for a change. Until then, as far as I'm concerned the Mayor is doing a great job --- not just a good job, a great job.

sounds just like every member of the Town Council. all good little Germans.

Paulie it looks like the "us" don't agree with you. do you have a alternitive for that?

People who support the DEMS are tax and spend, that's why you don't see anything wrong with constant taxing.

It's always easier to blame other things or tell people that they must present an alternative....As for me, I'd rather spend my tax money on recall than on this town government..As for mandatory expenditures, there is a thing called negotiation for work contracts and that's the excuse these guys use...

You're arguing for an alternative, so yes, you must present one.

I would not rather spend my money on a recall. You're going to spend money on town government either way. Your argument presents it as a choice between spending money on town services and spending money on a recall, but that's not an alternative. A recall is an extra expenditure, not an alternative.

Maybe you're right about negotiating the contracts. I don't know. Are our civil servants overpaid? What are the data? How do we compare to other municipalities? What is the quality of service in towns whose employees are paid less, if there are any such towns? Present the data, then you'll have basis for your argument.

Then weigh the pros and cons. That's the necessary next step. Do you want to pay your police officers less? Your firefighters? Your teachers? Are you at all worried that if you do that, good officers, firefighters and teachers will go elsewhere?

All you've done so far is complain that your taxes are up. Maybe there are reasons for that. Maybe the level of taxes is where is has to be. You're not making the case for change. Make it, and every Kearny taxpayer will thank you. In fact, maybe we'll elect you mayor, but not if all you're going to do is complain without laying out your plans for change, separate and apart from changing the name on the door of the mayor's office.

Paul,

It's been a while since I've posted on this board, but lately I'm finding the increasing amount of mis-information to be disturbing. Not just here. Frankly, I'm very concerned about distortions of the truth in taxes, bonding, "binding arbitration," "debt leveling off," and a host of other false statements that are going unchallenged. I'm going to have start challenging them again.

Now, to your statement. There is no cost to the taxpayers in a recall election if the recall is held during the November general election. If the recall election is a special election, there would be a cost to the taxpayers. That cost would have to be identified and made part of the recall petition and told to the voter before they signed.

The decision as to whether the recall is held in November or at a special election is made by the recall committee. No one else.

Bottom line - extra cost to the taxpayer is a non-issue in deciding if a recall is justified.

Facts. They're a beautiful thing.

Jim Mangin

Paul,

It's been a while since I've posted on this board, but lately I'm finding the increasing amount of mis-information to be disturbing. Not just here. Frankly, I'm very concerned about distortions of the truth in taxes, bonding, "binding arbitration," "debt leveling off," and a host of other false statements that are going unchallenged. I'm going to have start challenging them again.

Now, to your statement. There is no cost to the taxpayers in a recall election if the recall is held during the November general election. If the recall election is a special election, there would be a cost to the taxpayers. That cost would have to be identified and made part of the recall petition and told to the voter before they signed.

The decision as to whether the recall is held in November or at a special election is made by the recall committee. No one else.

Bottom line - extra cost to the taxpayer is a non-issue in deciding if a recall is justified. 

Jim Mangin

I'm glad to see you are back.

You seem to be a very intelligent and well informed person.

Thank you for you input!

Paul,

Jim Mangin

Jim, that's fair comment and a good point. When is next regularly scheduled mayoral election?

You have an interest in this, potentially, since you ran against Al before, so I'm glad to see you here. How fair are the charges being leveled against Mayor Santos? How would you answer my questions? What are the statistics, and what were the alternatives? What would you have done differently had you been mayor, and what difference would you have expected it to make? I'm looking for specifics.

Guest Recall Mayor Santos
Even if that was true, it doesn't address the question. How much would a recall cost, and is it worth it? On what basis?

You guys always do exactly the same thing. You whine because your taxes went up, or the water main broke, but you don't have a clue about a reasonable and practical alternative that would have prevented the problem or can solve it now. And when somebody calls you on the fact that you don't have a clue, you get angry and start calling names. Come on, you want to make a contribution to the community to help lower taxes, then make it. Get some facts, come up with a plan, and let's discuss it and get it done. I'd like lower taxes as much as you would. Give me a reason to vote for a change. Until then, as far as I'm concerned the Mayor is doing a great job --- not just a good job, a great job.

Paul

There are no easy solutions to this tax mess, When ever you have to reduce your budget its never popular. The average household budget no matter how much money you make must adjust to increased taxes, and over the years TAXPAYERS done so in Kearny. Its sad to say that taxes are out of control and action needs to be taken, as opposed to every year Mayor Santos has been in office.(Taxes have went up and services have gone down.) Hard decisons have and I mean (HAVE) to be made in order to improve services, and in doing so, making sure the town employees understand why an affordable tax base would be good for them, and what a privledge it is to work in town goverment. The Mayor needs to be forceful in cutting this budget and if he needs to send a message to the unions by cutting across the board the Towns workforce then so be it. Its like when someone calls out sick, the supervisor always has a plan to adjust the work day. It would be hard in the beginning, Its like a pregnancy, its uncomfortable, it hurts, its messy, but after all the work it produces a beautiful baby. There are tough times ahead for Kearny and this Mayor knows it, The thing here is he willing to do anything about it

He hasn't thus far and that is why a Recall Election is needed. Its comiing!!!!!!

Paul,

Jim Mangin

Jim,

I am impressed with your ability to articulate the specific issues you have with the current administration. Few of us have this ability. The mayor said he wanted a healthy debate in the article he submitted recently to the Observer. Why don't you challenge the Observer to give you equal time. Submit your list of issues and challenge the mayor to respond. The Observer owe's those of us who think like you the opportunity to challenge the mayor. After all, they apparently seem to be working for his campaign, they allowed him to submit virtually the same article two weeks in a row. If Canessa isn't going to do his job and play Devil's advocate and challenge him with tough questions, we need you to.