KHS Uniform Committee Meeting

Guest Parent

Guest Guest
Nice try at ducking a heartfelt and accurate post by "Patriot".

"Patriot's" implicit argument, which he doesn't have the intelligence to explain, apparently, is that not standing to salute the flag somehow makes us a weaker country.

How does it do that? Does he explain? No.

Do you or does he have any evidence for it? No.

Is there any example of that principle, anywhere in history? No.

Does it even make sense? No.

What history tells us is exactly the opposite: that when a nation's people focus their energies on rituals instead of the gritty, day-to-day work of citizenship, they make their nation vulnerable to bad leadership - and sure enough, look no further than who is now in the White House to understand where this period of false, hypocritical super-patriotism has led us.

What's most interesting is the comparison to saluting the Nazi flag. Take a good look at that comparison - a good, long look.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest
1. The really sad thing about your world is that you always believe you are right and that in itself is a fallacy. 2. What you have created in your society is that the needs of the one outweigh the needs of the majority and that it is where I have fault with you. 3. The last I knew this was a democracy and issues large and small should be treated as such to keep order. 4. Without order, you have chaos very similar to the situation you and your son have created in this Kearny School system. 5. It has affected everyone from teacher to student and not in a positive way either. And so life goes on in your perfect world and you still cannot distinguish between right and wrong. Pitty.

1. Everyone who expresses an opinion thinks he's right, just like you think you're right.

2. Not true. It's just a different view of what is good for the country. Matthew keeps saying that patriotism isn't about forced rituals. It's about taking action, which is what he does. That's why he has awards and a world-wide reputation as an activist in the best tradition of our Founding Fathers, and you don't.

3. The last I knew, people in a democracy have the right to dissent. Perhaps you can explain how his not standing for the pledge of allegiance harms anyone. Well no, perhaps you can't, because it doesn't.

4. Oh, boo-hoo. The Kearny school system is operating just fine. Give me a break. The only chaos is the storm that's swirling in your head. Your little world has been upset and you don't know how to deal with it. Hint: be open to changing your mind, it might clear up your confusion.

5. As the years go by, Matthew's classmates and a few of his teachers will look back on their gutsy classmate and realize that he was telling them something important. Eventually, a few of them will listen, and it will make a positive difference, not only in their lives but in their communities and maybe on a bigger scale.

Guest Guest

1. Everyone who expresses an opinion thinks he's right, just like you think you're right.

At least I am willing to listen. You follow Paul like sheep.

2. Not true. It's just a different view of what is good for the country. Matthew keeps saying that patriotism isn't about forced rituals. It's about taking action, which is what he does. That's why he has awards and a world-wide reputation as an activist in the best tradition of our Founding Fathers, and you don't.

In the minuscule world that you leave in here in Kearny, how can you possibly know what is good for the world? The reason he has awards is that his father prostitutes him to media for his own cause. I don't hear the world-wide response of people chanting Matthews’s name. People even in his own school or for that matter his own class don't do that.

3. The last I knew, people in a democracy have the right to dissent. Perhaps you can explain how his not standing for the pledge of allegiance harms anyone. Well no, perhaps you can't, because it doesn't.

I do not know how crazy you are but I know I am not going to be following this little psychotic in his quest to be as crazy as his old man.

4. Oh, boo-hoo. The Kearny school system is operating just fine. Give me a break. The only chaos is the storm that's swirling in your head. Your little world has been upset and you don't know how to deal with it. Hint: be open to changing your mind, it might clear up your confusion.

Boo-hoo? What are you two years old? Having two students in the Kearny school system, one in the Senior year I am more than familiar with the turmoil this one rebel has caused.

5. As the years go by, Matthew's classmates and a few of his teachers will look back on their gutsy classmate and realize that he was telling them something important. Eventually, a few of them will listen, and it will make a positive difference, not only in their lives but in their communities and maybe on a bigger scale.

In years gone by these students will be thankful that they didn't choose the same school that Matthew is going to so they don't have to listen to this BS for another 4 years. Thinking that this snotnose has made a positive difference is a fallacy.

Guest Guest
It's as disrespectful to non-Christians as "under Allah" would be to non-Muslims.

Think about it.

Not really, but whatever.

And, it's not nearly as disrespectful as not standing for your country's flag. Even if you don't say the pledge.

Guest Guest

Exactly.

Let's stop comparing Matthew's trivial and childish behavior to the Founding Fathers.

It's disrespectful.

True, Matt's nonsense is probably the least of the concerns in the Kearny school system.

In a short time nobody will remember this little episode. Except maybe here at KOTW.

Guest Guest

And, it's not nearly as disrespectful as not standing for your country's flag.

And not standing for the PLEDGE is not nearly as disrespectful as denigrating someone for using the freedom that flag is SUPPOSED to represent!

Guest Guest

In the minuscule world that you leave in here in Kearny, how can you possibly know what is good for the world? The reason he has awards is that his father prostitutes him to media for his own cause. I don't hear the world-wide response of people chanting Matthews’s name. People even in his own school or for that matter his own class don't do that.

I do not know how crazy you are but I know I am not going to be following this little psychotic in his quest to be as crazy as his old man.

Boo-hoo? What are you two years old? Having two students in the Kearny school system, one in the Senior year I am more than familiar with the turmoil this one rebel has caused.

In years gone by these students will be thankful that they didn't choose the same school that Matthew is going to so they don't have to listen to this BS for another 4 years. Thinking that this snotnose has made a positive difference is a fallacy.

You’re not saying anything. Actually saying something is the first step if you want anyone to listen to you.

And if you want people to believe you when you say you’re listening, you could start by answering the question: How does not standing for the pledge harm anyone?

As far as I can tell, the students are getting the same education they always did, plus a little more this year. What turmoil?

Every citizen decides what he or she thinks is best for the country when we vote for a president. Why do you make remarks like that?

You can prostitute yourself to the media all you want, you won’t get this result. It’s not prostitution when you have something important to say. He thinks it’s important, and obviously so do the people who are publicizing it. In the latest story, there’s a widely used textbook that contains factual errors, apparently put there to advance a political agenda. Our educational system is being misused to indoctrinate the young. Why isn’t that important news?

You can say what you like about Matthew, but he has received more awards and honors than most people get in a lifetime. You try getting an Op-Ed piece in the Los Angeles Times. Obviously you don’t like it, but that’s the fact, Jack.

Are you the same nitwit who says in the next post that no one is going to remember this? You're mad as hell. You'll never be able to forget this. The kid kicked your ass, and it's driving you crazy. Then he comes along the next year and makes national news again. Meanwhile, all you're doing is getting angrier and angrier because you don't have any real answers. So you keep repeating the same insults without saying anything.

Guest Guest

The sheep are the ones who were baaaa-ing support for Paszkiewicz even AFTER he was irrefutably caught in the wrong, and caught lying about it on top of it.

In the minuscule world that you leave in here in Kearny, how can you possibly know what is good for the world?

He said country, not world. Learn to read.

The reason he has awards is that his father prostitutes him to media for his own cause.

Fact: the story would have never touched the mainstream media if the Board hadn't tried to smother Matthew's 100% valid concern. The Board gave the LaClairs no choice, when it came to justice being done.

Fact: Tons of people who prostitute themselves to the media (which the LaClairs haven't done) get no acclaim or accolades for it, yet Matthew did. The media doesn't just praise anyone they come across, but Matthew's been praised far and wide, across this country AND across the world, by many people and organizations INCLUDING many churches. Even an organization devoted to restoring state-sponsored prayer in schools lambasted Paszkiewicz! What does that tell you?

I don't hear the world-wide response of people chanting Matthews’s name. People even in his own school or for that matter his own class don't do that.[/b]

You don't hear it because you're not listening. There has been FAR more praise for Matthew than criticism everywhere...except for in Kearny itself, where the bigots have rallied together behind their fellow bigot and liar.

Very petty name-calling; for shame.

Yes, when someone reports wrongdoing, they are the ones causing the turmoil. Just like when a girl reports a rape--there would be less turmoil if she just kept her mouth shut, right?

Tough shit. The real source of turmoil is the teacher who doesn't know how to keep his preaching in the church and out of the classroom.

You really are detached from reality, huh? Matthew is a true patriot; your kind is left to snivel and sling mud from the sidelines. Truly pathetic.

Guest Guest

And, it's not nearly as disrespectful as not standing for your country's flag. Even if you don't say the pledge.

He's making an important point about freedom. He's not interfering with anyone's right to stand, salute, sing and recite at loudly as they can. He's not dishonoring our soldiers, he's honoring them by making a point about what freedom really is, the very thing they fought for. He's sticking his neck out for the values the country really stands for, not an outward show that any hypocrite can make. If you're a Christian, then read your Bible on the subject of making a big outward show of piety. And if you're going to lecture other people about respect, then have the decency to acknowledge his reasons.

There's nothing disrespectful about what Matthew is doing. Just the opposite, it is the highest form of honor, sticking your neck out and being unpopular to do what is right. Where's the disrespect?

You are the one being disrespectful, because you have no tolerance for dissent, you refuse to see why this small act of dissent is important, and you refuse even to acknowledge these points, which have been made over and over. Think about it. The only countries where everyone does exactly as they are told are countries you wouldn't want to live in. Keep up what you're doing, and our country will become one of those. Don't think it can't happen, because it can.

Guest Guest

I whole heartedly agree with you. I work there and see every day what these kids are coming to school in. Now that the shorts are allowed not only are the busts hanging out, the backsides are hanging out or clinging just under the butt. Come on parents, I raised kids, say, no, you are not going to school like that or church like that. Somethg had to give. It will not hurt your children to look presentable when they go to school.

NO UNIFORMS!!!!!!!

I LOVE looking up the girls short skirts going to and from school....and those skin tight pants and tops WOW! Some leave nothing to the imagination. I'd miss it.

Some FREEDOM of self expression huh?

You don't need the leClairs or the school to tell you what your freedoms are or how to dress; parental guidance seems to be in order here. Don't let your kid leave the house looking like a slut or a slob and you won't need uniforms. YOU are the adult. YOU do something about YOUR CHILD.

Don't give me that nonsense that you can't be there in the morning for your child because you're out to work early or have to sleep because you worked late. Here's a rule you SHOULD follow...YOU are resposible for YOUR child! Or, has having a child taken away

your freedom?

Maybe you should speak to an attorney. You might have a case against your child. Hey leClair! How about a Class Action suit on behalf of the parents against their children?

Dressing for success is simply pride in appearance.

I do encourage the student body to protest any drastic change by first fully researching the situation and then presenting an educated and unified position. If the decision does not go their way then I would encourage them to accept it. Give it your best!

Guest Paul
And not standing for the PLEDGE is not nearly as disrespectful as denigrating someone for using the freedom that flag is SUPPOSED to represent!

Not standing for the pledge is not disrespectful at all. It doesn't denigrate or diminish anyone. It's the expression of a point of view, and in Matthew's case that point of view is that outward and superficial shows of patriotism don't mean much. What matters is behaving like a citizen. It's like the difference between going to church and living a good life. What's the point of going to church, then lying, cheating and stealing all week long?

By contrast, denigrating someone for expressing an honestly-held point of view is disrespectful. In fact, it's disrespectful to the soldiers who have fought for our freedom and who are serving in our military right now.

It's a pity that the people who keep beating this horse to death never actually address or discuss any of the values behind their outrage.

Guest Paul
Really, it disrepects all non-Christians? You're really reaching now.

It disrespects all non-theists. That's not a reach. It's a fact. I resent being expected to say that I believe in something I don't believe in.

Every good American should be able to recite the Pledge and feel good about it. Unfortunately, an overbearing majority has thrown its weight around, forcing their religion on those of us in the minority who do not agree.

There is no reason for this. We won two world wars without this phrase in the Pledge of Allegiance. It is divisive, wrong and completely unnecessary.

Guest Paul
How did he leave Christianity then (he used to be Christian, you know)? Do you think he's lived his whole life without ever changing his mind? Now THAT is fallacious. Absurd, really.

This really hits home. Letting go of the religion I was brought up in was one of the hardest experiences of my life, but also one of the most important and meaningful. I matriculated to the University of Michigan straight off a dairy farm at the age of eighteen. In my little rural hometown, we had heard of people who weren't Christian, but I'm not sure I fully understand that they really meant it. Fortunately for me - as I see it now - my two roommates freshman year were Jewish. The RA was an atheist. My closest friends on the hall was a Sikh. This forced me to confront the question "Why is my religion better and truer than theirs." When I realized that I had no good answer, honesty and a genuine concern to do what was right left me no choice but to let go of my old religion.

In those days, I was also a Republican. It was 1972. I cast my first presidential vote for Richard Nixon. Then I saw the outright lying and deception that he was practicing, aided by quite a few Republicans. I'll admit, I've seen my share of dishonest Democrats, but I'm not the only one to observe that when it comes to dishonesty, Republicans seem to win that unsavory prize. For the first time in my life, I began to see a different perspective than the one I had learned on the farm. I began to understand the value of openness and especially the anti-democratic power of excessive concentrations of wealth. So in 1973, immediately after the "Saturday night massacre," I became a Democrat, and have remained so all my adult life - not so much because I think the Democrats are great and wonderful, but because I see the Republican willingness to hand the store over to corporate interests as abhorrent.

It's interesting to watch my-way-or-the-highway types lambaste me for supposedly having a closed mind and supposedly forcing my views on others. I guess what I have to say bothers them - not that they're projecting or anything. What else can I tell you.

Guest Yessir!

Says Paul: "When I realized that I had no good answer, honesty and a genuine concern to do what was right left me no choice but to let go of my old religion."

So, you're really a follower, not a leader? Did these college buddies abandon their religion for you?

Regardless who wrote this, there is a lot of truth in it. This is what lawyers have done to our country.

"WRITTEN BY A 15 yr. Old SCHOOL KID IN ARIZONA :

New Pledge of Allegiance (TOTALLY AWESOME) !

Since the Pledge of Allegiance

And The Lord's Prayer

Are not allowed in most

Public schools anymore

Because the word 'God' is mentioned....

A kid in Arizona wrote the attached

NEW School prayer :

Now I sit me down in school

Where praying is against the rule

For this great nation under God

Finds mention of Him very odd.

If Scripture now the class recites,

It violates the Bill of Rights.

And anytime my head I bow

Becomes a Federal matter now.

Our hair can be purple, orange or green,

That's no offense; it's a freedom scene.

The law is specific, the law is precise.

Prayers spoken aloud are a serious vice.

For praying in a public hall

Might offend someone with no faith at all.

In silence alone we must meditate,

God's name is prohibited by the state.

We're allowed to cuss and dress like freaks,

And pierce our noses, tongues and cheeks..

They've outlawed guns, but FIRST the Bible.

To quote the Good Book makes me liable.

We can elect a pregnant Senior Queen,

And the 'unwed daddy,' our Senior King.

It's 'inappropriate' to teach right from wrong,

We're taught that such 'judgments' do not belong.

We can get our condoms and birth controls,

Study witchcraft, vampires and totem poles.

But the Ten Commandments are not allowed,

No word of God must reach this crowd.

It's scary here I must confess,

When chaos reigns the school's a mess.

So, Lord, this silent plea I make:

Should I be shot; My soul please take!

Amen "

Guest Kearny Christian
This really hits home. Letting go of the religion I was brought up in was one of the hardest experiences of my life, but also one of the most important and meaningful. I matriculated to the University of Michigan straight off a dairy farm at the age of eighteen. In my little rural hometown, we had heard of people who weren't Christian, but I'm not sure I fully understand that they really meant it. Fortunately for me - as I see it now - my two roommates freshman year were Jewish. The RA was an atheist. My closest friends on the hall was a Sikh. This forced me to confront the question "Why is my religion better and truer than theirs." When I realized that I had no good answer, honesty and a genuine concern to do what was right left me no choice but to let go of my old religion.

In those days, I was also a Republican. It was 1972. I cast my first presidential vote for Richard Nixon. Then I saw the outright lying and deception that he was practicing, aided by quite a few Republicans. I'll admit, I've seen my share of dishonest Democrats, but I'm not the only one to observe that when it comes to dishonesty, Republicans seem to win that unsavory prize. For the first time in my life, I began to see a different perspective than the one I had learned on the farm. I began to understand the value of openness and especially the anti-democratic power of excessive concentrations of wealth. So in 1973, immediately after the "Saturday night massacre," I became a Democrat, and have remained so all my adult life - not so much because I think the Democrats are great and wonderful, but because I see the Republican willingness to hand the store over to corporate interests as abhorrent.

It's interesting to watch my-way-or-the-highway types lambaste me for supposedly having a closed mind and supposedly forcing my views on others. I guess what I have to say bothers them - not that they're projecting or anything. What else can I tell you.

You should have stayed on the dairy farm, you're good at tossing manure.

Guest Guest

You made no effort to understand. And you call yourself a Christian.

Guest Guest
Says Paul: "When I realized that I had no good answer, honesty and a genuine concern to do what was right left me no choice but to let go of my old religion."

He can't win with you. If he stands up for what he believes, you say he's a tyrant. If he listens and changes his mind, he's a follower.

Guest Guest

There's that Christian love I've heard so much about.

I pity you.

Guest KHS Alumnus

What the hell? Why is there a limit on the number of quote tags you can use? That's stupid.

So, you're really a follower, not a leader? Did these college buddies abandon their religion for you?

You do realize that Paul is neither Jew nor Sikh, right? :rolleyes:

Regardless who wrote this, there is a lot of truth in it.

I'll bet there isn't.

This is what lawyers have done to our country.

"WRITTEN BY A 15 yr. Old SCHOOL  KID IN ARIZONA :

lol, no. This originated in a chain letter, o gullible one.

New Pledge of Allegiance (TOTALLY AWESOME) !   

Since the Pledge of Allegiance   
And The Lord's Prayer   
Are not allowed in most   
Public schools anymore

Both are allowed in public schools, and were never disallowed in the history of US.

Because the word 'God' is mentioned....   
A kid in Arizona wrote the attached   
NEW School prayer  : 

Now I sit me down in school   
Where praying is against the rule

I guess this poor kid was homeschooled, 'cause he's got the facts wrong already. Praying is not disallowed in public school.

For this great nation under God

This nation is based on liberty and justice FOR ALL, not just Christians. The US doesn't belong to Christians; deal with it.

Finds mention of Him very odd.   

If Scripture now the class recites,   
It violates the Bill of Rights.
And anytime my head I bow   
Becomes a Federal matter now.

Still wrong.

Our hair can be purple, orange or green,   
That's no offense; it's a freedom scene.   
The law is specific, the law is precise.   
Prayers spoken aloud are a serious vice.

Only if they're so loud that they are disrupting the class or something. But that has nothing to do with the fact that it's a prayer--being that loud is against the rules regardless of what you're actually saying.

For praying in a public hall   
Might offend someone with no faith at all.

It's still allowed.

In silence alone we must meditate,   
God's name is prohibited by the state.

Nope. Many public schools even have Christian clubs.

We're allowed to cuss and dress like freaks,   
And pierce our noses, tongues and cheeks..   
They've outlawed guns, but FIRST the Bible.   
To quote the Good Book makes me liable.

Still wrong.

We can elect a pregnant Senior Queen,   
And the 'unwed daddy,' our Senior King.   
It's 'inappropriate' to teach right from wrong,   
We're taught that such 'judgments' do not  belong.

Newsflash: morals are not exclusive to Christians, and the fact is that fewer atheists commit crimes per person than Christians in the US. Explain that.

We can get our condoms and  birth controls,

He fail English? That's unpossible!

Study witchcraft, vampires and  totem poles.

In a mythology elective, maybe.

But the Ten Commandments are  not allowed, 
No word of God must reach this  crowd.

You can talk about them in a historical context, just not preach them to the class. So?

It's scary here I must  confess, 
When chaos reigns the school's a mess.   
So, Lord, this silent plea I make:   
Should I be shot; My soul please take!   
Amen "

Ironically, most school shootings are done by kids raised Christian--the Virginia Tech shooter even compared himself to Jesus Christ. Maybe it's the religious concept of martyrdom that's part of the problem here. Just a hint. ;)

Guest Paul

Do you think Jesus would say that?

Every time I read something like what you just wrote, it makes me sad - not because you're going after me, but because you don't think. The fascinating thing about it is, you think you worship God, but you don't. All you worship is your own opinion. If you look at everything you write, that is the one common and organizing principle behind all of it. I am so sad not only that you can't hear what I'm trying to tell you, but even more that you won't even try.

Guest Paul

You're not listening. I didn't abandon my former religion for them. I abandoned it because I saw that some of its main claims were not true. I abandoned it for the truth.

As for that self-pitying revised pledge, it's not true. Students are allowed to pray in school.

Guest 2smart4u

Every time I read something like what you just wrote, it makes me sad - not because you're going after me, but because you don't think. The fascinating thing about it is, you think you worship God, but you don't. All you worship is your own opinion. If you look at everything you write, that is the one common and organizing principle behind all of it. I am so sad not only that you can't hear what I'm trying to tell you, but even more that you won't even try.

Another typical Paul post, condescending and patronizing. I love the father/son attitude he adopts in his posts, he's the father lecturing his son. If you disagree with him, you're not listening ot trying. Express your opinion and it makes him sad. And of course, he "knows" Kearny Christian does not worship God. Amazing perception he's able to get from the typed word. Here's a news flash for Paul; there are many

educated, intelligent people that don't subscribe to your loony atheist point of view. It that makes you sad,

so be it.

Guest Guest

I thought this was a thread was about uniforms, when did this become a religion site? Kearny needs help in getting better, suggestion and solutions are very welcome. Can you please talk about solutions and not one’s belief in religion?

Guest Guest
Another typical Paul post, condescending and patronizing. I love the father/son attitude he adopts in his posts, he's the father lecturing his son. If you disagree with him, you're not listening ot trying. Express your opinion and it makes him sad. And of course, he "knows" Kearny Christian does not worship God. Amazing perception he's able to get from the typed word. Here's a news flash for Paul; there are many

educated, intelligent people that don't subscribe to your loony atheist point of view. It that makes you sad,

so be it.

Educated and intelligent people respond on the merits, which is not what Kearny Christian did, or you ever do. Go back and read what was written, then respond intelligently and on the merits and without the juvenile remarks.

Guest Guest
Educated and intelligent people respond on the merits, which is not what Kearny Christian did, or you ever do. Go back and read what was written, then respond intelligently and on the merits and without the juvenile remarks.

Exactly. Grow up, "2smart4u". Seriously.