New Firefighters

Guest Buff

I just read in the Observer that Kearny is looking to hire new firefighters.

I have one question. Do they have to live in town, and do they have to take a test?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, and the test is as follows: If you can sleep, watch, eat, shit, and constantly complain, you are hired. Knowing someone in the political arena to be your Rabbi is also a plus. Cry and complain at the interview about the starting pay to let them know you're on the team and you will have hit the lottery, 25 years of sleeping for a living while everyone else works in the real world.

The new Fireladies should work for a year or two in Newark or Jersey City to see an actual fire anf get at least one story to tell. The "Probies" (that cracks me up) are not gonna see a fire in Kearny or the surrounding towns because there are so few, so let them get their panties wet in Newark before the 25 year coma/slumber party begins.

Guest Blink_Guest
The new Fireladies should work for a year or two in Newark or Jersey City to see an actual fire anf get at least one story to tell. The "Probies" (that cracks me up) are not gonna see a fire in Kearny or the surrounding towns because there are so few, so let them get their panties wet in Newark before the 25 year coma/slumber party begins.

What do you call last night?

:huh:

Guest sabastian

what about the big fire last night again the kearny folks think nothing ever happens in kearny. wake up and know the firefighters and cops do a job most people would run away from , and then say they could have done it better.

As for the fireladies, how do you eat, shit, and sleep better. I guess I just don't understand because I am in the real world with a real job and not a grown man playing fireman like a kid. Anyone, even a child, could shoot water onto something on fire. What special skills do you have that commands a six figure salary. I cannot think of 1.

Read in the Jersey Journal that 3 houses burned on Chestnut St., (probably started in one of the many illegal basement and attic apartment no one does anything about) and 5 other towns participated in putting out the fire. I know it's reciprocal but hey the elected officials should look into regionalization? Sure would be cheaper for the taxpayers.

Regionalization has worked well in North Hudson. The reason it is not being done i$, a$ alway$, the money. No politician dare mention it because one of their relative$ or family member$ may have to $ettle with le$$ money becuase the We$t Hudson town$ are top-heavy with $upervision. Look at Harri$on. It ha$ a Chief, 3 deputy chief$, 5 batallion chief$, and like 20 Captain$. That is a ludicrou$ amount of money to $pend on a town that usually has maybe 1 fire per year. The$e fire department$s may a$ well fall under the PV$C in Nepotism. Regionalization work$, but as Jerry McGuire $aid (like the firemen), "Show me the money!" Greed motivate$ the$e cash cow$ , that$ all. NOT THE RE$IDENT$ WHO COULD SEE AN IMMEDIATE TAX REDUCTION> YOU ONLY COUNT AT ELECTION TIME> AFTER THE ELECTION$ YOU ARE NOTHING TO THESE PEOPLE. They say everybody loves a fireman. Not me, I think they are lazy and usele$$. That is my opinion.

I sleep well, because at the end of the day, its an honest days work for an honest days pay. Yes, some days nothing happens, other days some unfortunate soul is losing a home, or worse those things that can't be replaced, and on those days we work harder than you do all year.

So, yes, I sleep well; but then I don't spend my life worrying about someone else's job. You should give that a try.

As for the fireladies, how do you eat, shit, and sleep better. I guess I just don't understand because I am in the real world with a real job and not a grown man playing fireman like a kid. Anyone, even a child, could shoot water onto something on fire. What special skills do you have that commands a six figure salary. I cannot think of 1.

Ding, fries are done!! Ding, fries are done!! Ding, fries are done!!

I am know that regionalization works in North Hudson despite the kicking and screaming that went on when it was introduced. I am not being critical of anyone's profession, other than money needs to be saved. I guess the North Hudson leaders are really leaders.

I am know that regionalization works in North Hudson despite the kicking and screaming that went on when it was introduced. I am not being critical of anyone's profession, other than money needs to be saved. I guess the North Hudson leaders are really leaders.

Just how much was the residents of these towns property taxes reduced?

You don't need any special skills,just a set of b-lls! Of course your special skills iinclude keeping clean oil in those deep fat fryers,A-H-le!

The residents of those towns havenot had 1 cent of property tax relief!

Guest SDem_Guest

I ifnd some of these replies appaling!!! To say that firemen are "kids" and that they sleep, eat, etc. for a living and that's it is not only disprespectful but also demeaning. To the person who says he/she lives in the "real world", what exactly is the "real world" to you?? Here's a little tidbit of info - you wouldn't have a "real world" if not for the people who protect it.

For the rest of you who are whining, the next time there's a fire - why not pick up a hose and charge into that burning building - let's see how far you get and if you come out unharmed.

This forum is getting so childish. I'd love to see a reply from someone with a brain.

Next time you get your tax bill, go tell the Mayor you are willing to pay a few hundred extra over the bill to give even more to the HFD and HPD even more money. Shoe that you back-up your big mouth you Appaling asshole.

Guest Guestimate
I ifnd some of these replies appaling!!!  To say that firemen are "kids" and that they sleep, eat, etc. for a living and that's it is not only disprespectful but also demeaning.  To the person who says he/she lives in the "real world", what exactly is the "real world" to you??  Here's a little tidbit of info - you wouldn't have a "real world" if not for the people who protect it.

For the rest of you who are whining, the next time there's a fire - why not pick up a hose and charge into that burning building - let's see how far you get and if you come out unharmed.

This forum is getting so childish.  I'd love to see a reply from someone with a brain.

http://www.newline-shop.com/wb/wizkafigsc.jpg

I did ask a fireman once at a fire scene why they were not in the building looking for people, and they rplied they were ordered to "stand-down." They had no problem letting me, in civilian clothes, to go in to look. Thats having a little balls and not just squirting water.

Guest SDem_Guest

I guess my request for a reply with someone with a brain fell on deaf ears. Keep livin' Guest! And by the way, this is a Kearny forum - so I'm not sure who the HPD or the HFD are. I'm assuming Harrison. Kindly keep your comments in your own forum.

And, incidentally, I'm more than happy to pay a few extra tax dollars for my home knowing that my home is protected by dedicated and motivated law enforcement and firemen.

Guest Guest 99
I did ask a fireman once at a fire scene why they were not in the building looking for people, and they rplied they were ordered to "stand-down."  They had no problem letting me, in civilian clothes, to go in to look.  Thats having a little balls and not just squirting water.

We're so proud of you and your little balls. You're such a manly man. Stupid maybe, but manly just the same. A trained firefighter is ordered not to enter a building; obviously for some safety reasons; and yet you are compelled to question their orders. How would you feel if someone had nothing better to do than question you on every move you made at work? Especially if that person had no background in your field.

People in this town have got to back off and let the trained safety professionals do their job. Everyone thinks they're an expert, when they really know nothing or very little about fighting fires or keeping the peace. Get off your ego trip, get off your high horse and let people do the work they are trained to do.

You expect us to believe that at a fire scene, the firemen were ordered to stay out of the building, yet they allowed you into the building in civilian clothes. I've heard many tall tales, all I can say about this one is

YOU WIN!!!

If in fact your story is true, it lends itself to the previous posters comment. Anyone who would enter a fire building after the fire department has cleared out is most definitely a moron.

Sorry SDem Guest, no intelligent comments from this guy.

Guest red busket

I have one question. Do they have to live in town, and do they have to take a test?

thats two questions einstein

No, they Dont have to live in town, they can live anywhere in Hudson or Essex Counties, or anywhere within a 15 mile radius of Town, if I remember correctly. The residency requirement was lifted after the NAACP lawsuit in the early 90's, with the first non-residents hired in 1994.

Yes, they have to take the State Civil Service Test, just like always.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived