Kearny Police attack on Towns Juveniles

Guest guest

Guest guest

I have had a very bad experience happen to my teenage son a few months back, and was curious to see if any other parent with a teen may have been a victim of the Kearny Police. It seems that the towns police do not need any type of something called PROOF, before they go ahead and file a false police report against your kid. I will give you my personal example, and, if I am the only one, then I will be my personal battle. If I am not the only person who believes that their kid has been threatened, arrested, tried and convicted by the police department, please post your own story. If we get enough complaints, we can possibly do something to help our children.

My son was asked by a neighbor if he would walk her girlfriends house because it was dark, and, lets be honest, this town is not what it once was. While walking down the street, a new program us taxpayers fund called Vice unit, approached the two of them. The officer stopped them and they were both searched. I would also like to mention the officer was very free with his hands on my kid, which upset me very much. They proceeded to put my kid in hand cuffs and take him to the police station. My son did not have anything in his pockets except the five dollars I gave him earlier that evening. I got a call from the police department and was told that my son was being held and for me to come pick him up. I arrived at the police station and was informed that the girl he was walking with was indeed in possession of marijuana, which was hidden in her bra. I was also assured that they did not find any thing on my son and he was free to go.

I got a letter from the superior court of hudson county a few weeks later with a police report stating that he was being charged with possession of marijuana? I tried to phone the police and inform them of the mistake, and what a mistake that was. I was passed from desk to desk, I heard a few giggles from these so called professionals as they transferre my call to about six different extentions, cute. I finally was given an answering machine and left a message informing them that they made a mistake on the police report, Never got a call back. I called a dozen more times and got the same treatment.

I took a day off work and went to the court house in Jersey City to explain to them the mistake, but, alas, I was told to get a lawyer? Why would anyone go and hire a lawyer if they did not do anything wrong? I was told by an extremely rude judge that if I did not get a lawyer, he would simply pass judgement on him and 99% of the cases he hears end in guilty. I tried again to please explain to me why my kid was being charged with a crime he did not do, and, was promptly told that if I spoke again in his court room, I would be held in contempt of court. As it slowly dawned on me that it did not matter if the kid was innocent, he had already been convicted by the Kearny Police. I have been trying to figure out if it is a crime to be "guilty by association"? I have no other choice but to scrape the money together to hire a lawyer. In the mean time, the girl who was in possession of the marijuana was arrested and charged, as should be. Am I crazy, but, could it be that two kids lives will be turned upside down because the police will now have two people charged for same exact crime just because they have quotas to justify their rather large pay checks?

I have been hearing some parents complain of the same problem, but, are too afraid to speak out of fear. Has anyone else experienced the Kearny Police false reports? If so, please reply to this posting.

The Police Dept has an Internal Affairs Unit that will be happy to look into your allegations and prove or disprove what you have to say. You can contact Det. Sgt. Richard Brodie at ( 201 ) 998-1313 Ext.2835 and we will be happy to arrange for an interview.

I have had a very bad experience happen to my teenage son a few months back, and was curious to see if any other parent with a teen may have been a victim of the Kearny Police. It seems that the towns police do not need any type of something called PROOF, before they go ahead and file a false police report against your kid. I will give you my personal example, and, if I am the only one, then I will be my personal battle. If I am not the only person who believes that their kid has been threatened, arrested, tried and convicted by the police department, please post your own story. If we get enough complaints, we can possibly do something to help our children.

My son was asked by a neighbor if he would walk her girlfriends house because it was dark, and, lets be honest, this town is not what it once was. While walking down the street, a new program us taxpayers fund called Vice unit, approached the two of them. The officer stopped them and they were both searched. I would also like to mention the officer was very free with his hands on my kid, which upset me very much. They proceeded to put my kid in hand cuffs and take him to the police station. My son did not have anything in his pockets except the five dollars I gave him earlier that evening. I got a call from the police department and was told that my son was being held and for me to come pick him up. I arrived at the police station and was informed that the girl he was walking with was indeed in possession of marijuana, which was hidden in her bra. I was also assured that they did not find any thing on my son and he was free to go.

I got a letter from the superior court of hudson county a few weeks later with a police report stating that he was being charged with possession of marijuana? I tried to phone the police and inform them of the mistake, and what a mistake that was. I was passed from desk to desk, I heard a few giggles from these so called professionals as they transferre my call to about six different extentions, cute. I finally was given an answering machine and left a message informing them that they made a mistake on the police report, Never got a call back. I called a dozen more times and got the same treatment.

I took a day off work and went to the court house in Jersey City to explain to them the mistake, but, alas, I was told to get a lawyer? Why would anyone go and hire a lawyer if they did not do anything wrong? I was told by an extremely rude judge that if I did not get a lawyer, he would simply pass judgement on him and 99% of the cases he hears end in guilty. I tried again to please explain to me why my kid was being charged with a crime he did not do, and, was promptly told that if I spoke again in his court room, I would be held in contempt of court. As it slowly dawned on me that it did not matter if the kid was innocent, he had already been convicted by the Kearny Police. I have been trying to figure out if it is a crime to be "guilty by association"? I have no other choice but to scrape the money together to hire a lawyer. In the mean time, the girl who was in possession of the marijuana was arrested and charged, as should be. Am I crazy, but, could it be that two kids lives will be turned upside down because the police will now have two people charged for same exact crime just because they have quotas to justify their rather large pay checks?

I have been hearing some parents complain of the same problem, but, are too afraid to speak out of fear. Has anyone else experienced the Kearny Police false reports? If so, please reply to this posting.

The more I read what you have wrote the more it appears how emotional you are, once your son has been charged and the prosecuter gets the case the KPD is basically out of it. Until he's called to court to testify. It's your job to get a lawyer to represent your son, the judge was right in threating you with contempt of court, the judge does'nt want to hear what YOU have to say. Thats what lawyers are for they know when to speak and when not to speak. As for the KPD " putting thier hands on your son" it's called a search aka the pat down they where well within their rights at that point. I would'nt be as mad at the KPD as I would be at the " Neighbor" it would seem he/she set your son up. Some things you left out of your rant. 1. Was your son out after curfew?, 2. is your son the girl known to the KPD?,3. has your son ever hung out with this girl or neighbor before. If this girl was known to the KPD as many teenagers in Kearny are, your son very well could have been in the wrong place at the wrong time. What did the girl your son was arrested with tell the KPD, she very well may have told them the Marijuana belonged to your son. In short get yourself a lawyer and don't blame the KPD they just did their job.

Guest wildbill

Well you should have talked to a lawyer because when I was a teenager I was with a friend in his car in Kearny and we were pulled over and the Police found weed in the guys glove box and we were both charged. Its better to take a plea deal to save him from jail and to have his record exponged if he does not associate with criminals.

Guest Bergenfield Phantom
The Police Dept has an Internal Affairs Unit that will be happy to look into your allegations and prove or disprove what you have to say. You can contact Det. Sgt. Richard Brodie at ( 201 ) 998-1313 Ext.2835 and we will be happy to arrange for an interview.

who ever posted the above post is an idiot or a moron and perhaps a danger to public safety. Your innocent until proven guilty, You have a good civil case for false prosecution even if the girl flips on your son. He said She said. Lets hope the poster is not law enforcement, Its official misconduct to try and fix a case once the charge has been levied. That would mean the Police Officer did lie in his report.

I don't want to excuse the behavior of the PD, if that indeed happened (not saying you are not honest, I simply don't know myself), but to me the bigger problem is a joker on the bench who has predetermined guilt with your son.

And numerous others as well it would seem.

Good luck, and I hope your son's situation is strictly decided on facts and not assumptions.

Guest HAPPY IN KEARNY
The more I read what you have wrote the more it appears how emotional you are, once your son has been charged and the prosecuter gets the case the KPD is basically out of it. Until he's called to court to testify. It's your job to get a lawyer to represent your son, the judge was right in threating you with contempt of court, the judge does'nt want to hear what YOU have to say. Thats what lawyers are for they know when to speak and when not to speak. As for the KPD " putting thier hands on your son" it's called a search aka the pat down they where well within their rights at that point. I would'nt be as mad at the KPD as I would be at the " Neighbor" it would seem he/she set your son up. Some things you left out of your rant. 1. Was your son out after curfew?, 2. is your son the girl known to the KPD?,3. has your son ever hung out with this girl or neighbor before. If this girl was known to the KPD as many teenagers in Kearny are, your son very well could have been in the wrong place at the wrong time. What did the girl your son was arrested with tell the KPD, she very well may have told them the Marijuana belonged to your son. In short get yourself a lawyer and don't blame the KPD they just did their job.

GOOD REPLY KHS81.PARENTS NEED TO BE PARENTS!!

Guest guest

Well you should have talked to a lawyer because when I was a teenager I was with a friend in his car in Kearny and we were pulled over and the Police found weed in the guys glove box and we were both charged. Its better to take a plea deal to save him from jail and to have his record exponged if he does not associate with crimin

ok, i can see how you would be upset about your son being locked up, but lets get a few things straight...you are definately not telling us the whole story OR your son is lying to you...if you had court in jersey city (hudson county superior court) your son was arrested for alot more then one bag a weed...under nj state law your son needs to be in possession of over 50grams of weed before the superior court takes over..if it was one bag of weed, your son would have gotten a summons and would have gone to kearny court on kearny ave. superiour court only handles the big stuff..

i think you should sit down with your son and tell him to tell you the truth before you go blaming the police..also, if it got to superior court, it has to pass grand jury. dwhich means regular everyday people listen to the facts and decide if there is enough evidence there to either throw it out or have a trial...

people are so quick to jump to the "my kid would never do something wrong" defense. my aunt did it to my cousin his whole life and he is in jail now because of it..

ok, i can see how you would be upset about your son being locked up, but lets get a few things straight...you are definately not telling us the whole story OR your son is lying to you...if you had court in jersey city (hudson county superior court) your son was arrested for alot more then one bag a weed...under nj state law your son needs to be in possession of over 50grams of weed before the superior court takes over..if it was one bag of weed, your son would have gotten a summons and would have gone to kearny court on kearny ave. superiour court only handles the big stuff..

i think you should sit down with your son and tell him to tell you the truth before you go blaming the police..also, if it got to superior court, it has to pass grand jury. dwhich means regular everyday people listen to the facts and decide if there is enough evidence there to either throw it out or have a trial...

people are so quick to jump to the "my kid would never do something wrong" defense. my aunt did it to my cousin his whole life and he is in jail now because of it..

Don't count on the grand jury. They get one side of the story, from the prosecutor. There's a saying that a good prosecutor can indict a ham sandwich.

You need a lawyer. He'll do the pretrial talks with the prosecutors and both sides will be heard is done during the trial or during pretrial intervention. Let your lawyer do the talking.

Assuming you told the truth, the judge should not have said what he said about not having a lawyer. That's grounds for complaint to the Advisory Committee on Judicial Conduct (609) 292-2552. Correspondence, including complaints, should be addressed to the Advisory Committee on Judicial Conduct, CN-037, Trenton, NJ 08625.

http://www.state.nj.us/faqs/court/index.html

http://www.newjerseycriminallawattorney.co...leRetention.asp

More info (its from Essex court site but it should apply to all NJ courtsJ)

http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/essex/criminal/pti.htm

Guilt by association isn't anything new. It does happen all the time. What was the reason the police gave for stopping your son and this girl in the first place? I'm sure there are police officers that shouldn't be carrying a weapon, but for the most part, I honestly believe the KPD does a great job.

Don't count on the grand jury. They get one side of the story, from the prosecutor. There's a saying that a good prosecutor can indict a ham sandwich.

You need a lawyer. He'll do the pretrial talks with the prosecutors and both sides will be heard is done during the trial or during pretrial intervention. Let your lawyer do the talking.

Assuming you told the truth, the judge should not have said what he said about not having a lawyer. That's grounds for complaint to the Advisory Committee on Judicial Conduct (609) 292-2552. Correspondence, including complaints, should be addressed to the Advisory Committee on Judicial Conduct, CN-037, Trenton, NJ 08625.

http://www.state.nj.us/faqs/court/index.html

http://www.newjerseycriminallawattorney.co...leRetention.asp

More info (its from Essex court site but it should apply to all NJ courtsJ)

http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/essex/criminal/pti.htm

The defense can also testify before the grand jury, The boy could have told his side there, only at that point the prosecuter gets to ask questions of him also. I don't believe the original poster has told the whole story. first being she would not have gotten a " Letter and police report in the mail" her son would have gotten a subpeona in the mail. Secondly he would have been summoned to appear before the Hudson County Superior Court Juveniel (sp?) division. Not adult court, the police report would have been obtained at the KPD. From her own story she did not hire a lawyer at the time but rather went to court with her son in an atempt to plead with the judge to see things her way,the judge was well within his rights to threaten her with contempt of court.

The defense can also testify before the grand jury, The boy could have told his side there, only at that point the prosecuter gets to ask questions of him also. I don't believe the original poster has told the whole story. first being she would not have gotten a " Letter and police report in the mail" her son would have gotten a subpeona in the mail. Secondly he would have been summoned to appear before the Hudson County Superior Court Juveniel (sp?) division. Not adult court, the police report would have been obtained at the KPD. From her own story she did not hire a lawyer at the time but rather went to court with her son in an atempt to plead with the judge to see things her way,the judge was well within his rights to threaten her with contempt of court.

The summons comes in the mail. The police report you have to get yourself. I assumed it was Juvenile court. Maybe not. Maybe the kid is over 17 (some mothers think kids are kids forever).

I really don't buy this story either. The police try to do a good job. I can't see them all setting the kid up. I also can't the judge making that dumb statement about the lawyer.

Guest Crockett & Tubbs
I have had a very bad experience happen to my teenage son a few months back, and was curious to see if any other parent with a teen may have been a victim of the Kearny Police. It seems that the towns police do not need any type of something called PROOF, before they go ahead and file a false police report against your kid.

I disagree. S.O.P. #69 states, and I quote, "Officers must always have PROOF before filing false police reports against your kid."

Guest wildbill

The parents and Police have a tough task ahead of them in the attempts to control weed in the schools. Example a kid / dealer buys 700 dollars worth of weed or three onces which is split into 96 $20

gram bags. These bags of dody get a daily return on the seven hundred dollars at or about 1920.00 dollars a day. The 96 bags of weed are sold out with in the first 45 minutes of school and the dealer has a net tax free return of 1220 dollars a day. Gone are the tender times. Time to put a jump street LEO team into the schools.

The parents and Police have a tough task ahead of them in the attempts to control weed in the schools. Example a kid / dealer buys 700 dollars worth of weed or three onces which is split into 96 $20

gram bags. These bags of dody get a daily return on the seven hundred dollars at or about 1920.00 dollars a day. The 96 bags of weed are sold out with in the first 45 minutes of school and the dealer has a net tax free return of 1220 dollars a day. Gone are the tender times. Time to put a jump street LEO team into the schools.

Wow. This is almost as good as the legal pharmaceutical markups. Good training. FBLA.

Guest wildbill

Well you all know there are stigma's that come along with being a "Pot Head" Parent's must nip this activity in the bud! For some day down the road in life something so terribly horrific could happen to the occasional user in the workplace. This event may be so trumatic that some individuals with low IQ's could consider the sequence of events unbelievable even though people saw the event unfold with their own eye's. The fall out from these Mary Jane get nice free spirited experiments will alter your life in screwy ways for ever more. The young user could some day be forced to live in chronic pain, Get no compensation as you creak and crack when you walk about while becoming a public spectacle where strangers jeer faker, fraud and liar as your body throbs from the injurie's endured. The end result of smoking pot is a life that tears your family apart over question's of suspicion just because you wanted to be to be a young Bogart!

Guest control your kids

this sounds like another example of a parent with the "not my kid" syndrome. Sometimes people need to wake up and realize that sometimes kids do stupid things and as a parent you can't always assume your kid is an angel. This story isn't even close to being complete. Every person here who posted was pretty much right on the money..the kid is lying. getting caught with a bad of weed gets you a summons and you would be released right at Kearny HQ with a Kearny Court date. If your kid has a County Court date he is being accused of a WHOLE lot more then just having a bag of weed on him. I would guess he is being charged with some kind of distribution charge. People should educate themselves before assuming the police are crooked and they are just out to get their son. I just read in the paper yesterday about the guy in NYC who was in a stolen car and hit a NYPD officer has he tried to get away, the NYPD cop shot and killed him. Now the mother is in the paper (I understand she is devistated about her loss) and her quote was "you can go all over this world and you couldn't find one person who would have anything bad to say about my son, the police are lying my son never did anything wrong". The next sentence in the paper states the man who was shot had been convicted of several armed robberies and weapons charges in the past few years. How the hell can people be that clueless as to what goes on in their child's lives?....maybe its just me, I dont know, but my kid would get my foot in his a$$ for stuff not even close to what these jerks are doing out there.

"I have had a very bad experience happen to my teenage son a few months back, and was curious to see if any other parent with a teen may have been a victim of the Kearny Police. It seems that the towns police do not need any type of something called PROOF, before they go ahead and file a false police report against your kid. I will give you my personal example, and, if I am the only one, then I will be my personal battle. If I am not the only person who believes that their kid has been threatened, arrested, tried and convicted by the police department, please post your own story. If we get enough complaints, we can possibly do something to help our children."

All the police do is make the arrest and write the report about the incident. The judge tries the case, and the judge and or judge and jury are the ones who determine if they are convicted or not, not the police...so already without even reading further I can tell you have no idea what your talking about