Kearny BOE Vote to Backfire: KHS May Not Open as Scheduled for 08/09 S

Laura Correnti

Monday, June 16, 2008

Good Evening:

This is an open letter to the elected members of the Board of Education and the voting residents of Kearny, NJ, and may I add emphasis to the very words elected members and voting residents.

Tonight a decision was made regarding a woman that is not only my mother, but a woman who has given the voting residents of this town and their children 30 years of unblemished, dedicated and selfless service.

Barbara Correnti began her career with the intention of guiding and teaching those from her hometown and has never looked back. For 30 years she has taught students skills in home economics and child development classes that they will utilize for a lifetime. She then moved on to the guidance office where she scheduled classes for hundreds of students and guided as many more down career paths that they will be forever grateful for--some of these very students are children of current board members. Currently, she is presiding as Department Chairperson of the Reading Department with the immense responsibility of ensuring that the entire student body is tested in accordance with state policy to meet graduation requirements. Her career has hardly been thankless, in fact if you could stack the Christmas gifts, event invitations and "thinking of you" notes she has received from current and former students alike, it would rise far higher than the 1800 HSPA materials sitting on my dining room table.

Barbara Correnti gave up many nights of her life and my childhood to attend night classes at Montclair State University after a full day of teaching to pursue her dream: to become Director of Student Personnel Services in a building that has become her second home. I could never understand why someone would want to dedicate their entire life to the same town in the same building with the same people, yet I never questioned her dedication because it speaks for itself. See not only is my mother on the payroll to perform her contracted job description, but she has volunteered for various parent associations and athletic organizations, held bake sales, led the National Honor Society, woke up on Saturday mornings to teach at the KEEP program as well as monitor SAT testing, and headed up the Ski Club--all while raising two children and continuing her education to pursue her dream. Thirty years of service to get to one tabled vote to be determined by nine individuals that will go on with their own careers and dreams tomorrow not deterred by that which they took away from my mother tonight.

As a product of the Kearny school system I can confess that it was more so my mother's guidance and experience in not only scheduling and planning, but in guiding and suggesting that has given me the confidence to open doors to pursue my dreams. While the Kearny school system has given me ample opportunities to enhance the same, it was this woman and her academic and work-related experiences that provided a solid foundation. The Board's decision tonight has jeopardized the sharing of such an experienced foundation with 1800 students who may not have the opportunity to begin school on time because of selfish and outlandish personal agendas in conjunction with backdoor politics that have come to surface in the preceding weeks.

My mother gave me the opportunity to learn about public service when I attended American University in Washington, DC where I worked on Capitol Hill for a current Senator. In an office of service, where citizens are elected to serve the people and not their personal gripes, I am educated enough to understand that elected members of this Board of Education's first responsibility is to serve the students they campaigned to represent. Tonight, the Board's vote indicated the abhorrent opposite.

The hiring practices of this BOE scream "politics as usual" for Kearny yet again. The Director of Student Personnel Services position was posted for 90 days as opposed to the prototypical 30, but ELECTED members of our Board refused to vote while serving on a committee that asks to do just that in order to make a sound recommendation for hire. Why refuse when it was so easy to yell NO this evening? In doing such, this Board's 6 opposing voters sent a clear message to the public: in Kearny it's politics first, voters and well-deserved career advancement second.

Interviews were held in which my mother presented a 15-point plan that would organize the current guidance department and move it in a progressive direction to adjust and conform to the current state of our town and its student body. This plan encompassed unprecedented objectives to address the diversity that exists and the need to integrate departments to better serve students' futures, for example.

An “outsider” or anyone within the district that lacked Kearny High School experience could not have created this blueprint for success. Barbara Correnti brings a resume of qualifications and a backbone of administrative support to the table that her counterparts could not match. And yet, I waited for two plus hours of closed-session deliberations to watch elected officials sell out on the best interests of the student body they have been voted in to serve, and rather be moved as pawns in the political game that never ceases in this town.

I am not one to become involved in local political issues, as they are often self-serving power trips and retribution for age-old personal vendettas. However, this is personal and public. As a member of the voting public, I may campaign for and choose to elect whomever I feel best suits the position and may express this in the form of a sign or two, phone calls, or the simple pull of the lever in the voting booth. I do this with the trust that those who sit on the Board of Education will fulfill their duty to serve the public. Civil service is a call to action, not a call to settle personal scores. Civil service is a call to elect the best candidate for Director of Student Personnel Services, not leverage to hold out on appointing such because of issues that are off-the-record.

1800 students will inevitably get to go on with their academic careers at some point next Fall, but sadly enough 1800 students will not be privileged to benefit from the knowledge and experience of the most qualified candidate recommended by the Superintendent, Assistant Superintendent and High School Principal to the board this evening: Barbara Correnti.

1800 students will eventually have a Director of Student Personnel Services, but sadly enough 1800 students have been exploited to satisfy political agendas at Barbara Correnti's expense.

1800 students will be tested by Barbara Correnti nonetheless as she resumes her current position as Department Chairperson, but sadly enough 1800 students will never be guided by her experience.

1800 students will surely want to know what their Fall class schedule is, but sadly enough 1800 students will not question an extended summer vacation.

And to those 1800 students that will soon become alumni and members of the voting public, I can only hope that you are informed of the unethical and misguided decisions made for political and personal gains that were put on display by six members of the BOE this evening when local school elections resume in Kearny.

Concerned,

Laura Correnti

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest
Monday, June 16, 2008

Good Evening:

This is an open letter to the elected members of the Board of Education and the voting residents of Kearny, NJ, and may I add emphasis to the very words elected members and voting residents.

Tonight a decision was made regarding a woman that is not only my mother, but a woman who has given the voting residents of this town and their children 30 years of unblemished, dedicated and selfless service.

Barbara Correnti began her career with the intention of guiding and teaching those from her hometown and has never looked back. For 30 years she has taught students skills in home economics and child development classes that they will utilize for a lifetime. She then moved on to the guidance office where she scheduled classes for hundreds of students and guided as many more down career paths that they will be forever grateful for--some of these very students are children of current board members. Currently, she is presiding as Department Chairperson of the Reading Department with the immense responsibility of ensuring that the entire student body is tested in accordance with state policy to meet graduation requirements. Her career has hardly been thankless, in fact if you could stack the Christmas gifts, event invitations and "thinking of you" notes she has received from current and former students alike, it would rise far higher than the 1800 HSPA materials sitting on my dining room table.

Barbara Correnti gave up many nights of her life and my childhood to attend night classes at Montclair State University after a full day of teaching to pursue her dream: to become Director of Student Personnel Services in a building that has become her second home. I could never understand why someone would want to dedicate their entire life to the same town in the same building with the same people, yet I never questioned her dedication because it speaks for itself. See not only is my mother on the payroll to perform her contracted job description, but she has volunteered for various parent associations and athletic organizations, held bake sales, led the National Honor Society, woke up on Saturday mornings to teach at the KEEP program as well as monitor SAT testing, and headed up the Ski Club--all while raising two children and continuing her education to pursue her dream. Thirty years of service to get to one tabled vote to be determined by nine individuals that will go on with their own careers and dreams tomorrow not deterred by that which they took away from my mother tonight.

As a product of the Kearny school system I can confess that it was more so my mother's guidance and experience in not only scheduling and planning, but in guiding and suggesting that has given me the confidence to open doors to pursue my dreams. While the Kearny school system has given me ample opportunities to enhance the same, it was this woman and her academic and work-related experiences that provided a solid foundation. The Board's decision tonight has jeopardized the sharing of such an experienced foundation with 1800 students who may not have the opportunity to begin school on time because of selfish and outlandish personal agendas in conjunction with backdoor politics that have come to surface in the preceding weeks.

My mother gave me the opportunity to learn about public service when I attended American University in Washington, DC where I worked on Capitol Hill for a current Senator. In an office of service, where citizens are elected to serve the people and not their personal gripes, I am educated enough to understand that elected members of this Board of Education's first responsibility is to serve the students they campaigned to represent. Tonight, the Board's vote indicated the abhorrent opposite.

The hiring practices of this BOE scream "politics as usual" for Kearny yet again. The Director of Student Personnel Services position was posted for 90 days as opposed to the prototypical 30, but ELECTED members of our Board refused to vote while serving on a committee that asks to do just that in order to make a sound recommendation for hire. Why refuse when it was so easy to yell NO this evening? In doing such, this Board's 6 opposing voters sent a clear message to the public: in Kearny it's politics first, voters and well-deserved career advancement second.

Interviews were held in which my mother presented a 15-point plan that would organize the current guidance department and move it in a progressive direction to adjust and conform to the current state of our town and its student body. This plan encompassed unprecedented objectives to address the diversity that exists and the need to integrate departments to better serve students' futures, for example.

An “outsider” or anyone within the district that lacked Kearny High School experience could not have created this blueprint for success. Barbara Correnti brings a resume of qualifications and a backbone of administrative support to the table that her counterparts could not match. And yet, I waited for two plus hours of closed-session deliberations to watch elected officials sell out on the best interests of the student body they have been voted in to serve, and rather be moved as pawns in the political game that never ceases in this town.

I am not one to become involved in local political issues, as they are often self-serving power trips and retribution for age-old personal vendettas. However, this is personal and public. As a member of the voting public, I may campaign for and choose to elect whomever I feel best suits the position and may express this in the form of a sign or two, phone calls, or the simple pull of the lever in the voting booth. I do this with the trust that those who sit on the Board of Education will fulfill their duty to serve the public. Civil service is a call to action, not a call to settle personal scores. Civil service is a call to elect the best candidate for Director of Student Personnel Services, not leverage to hold out on appointing such because of issues that are off-the-record.

1800 students will inevitably get to go on with their academic careers at some point next Fall, but sadly enough 1800 students will not be privileged to benefit from the knowledge and experience of the most qualified candidate recommended by the Superintendent, Assistant Superintendent and High School Principal to the board this evening: Barbara Correnti.

1800 students will eventually have a Director of Student Personnel Services, but sadly enough 1800 students have been exploited to satisfy political agendas at Barbara Correnti's expense.

1800 students will be tested by Barbara Correnti nonetheless as she resumes her current position as Department Chairperson, but sadly enough 1800 students will never be guided by her experience.

1800 students will surely want to know what their Fall class schedule is, but sadly enough 1800 students will not question an extended summer vacation.

And to those 1800 students that will soon become alumni and members of the voting public, I can only hope that you are informed of the unethical and misguided decisions made for political and personal gains that were put on display by six members of the BOE this evening when local school elections resume in Kearny.

Concerned,

Laura Correnti

Remeber the soccer coach? Well the chickens have come to roost. Get used to it.

Guest Guest

I too was at the BOE meeting last night. However, I did not see "Kearny politics as usual". I saw a BOE finally stand up to the administrators and tell them we are not going to take the nonsense anymore. For years people have been given jobs because of who they know or who owes them. Last night, this was not the case.

I understand the intention and sentiment behind the person who started this post, however do you remember when your father had a coach terminated because of your not being put in the spotlight. That is true Kearny Politics.

Guest Guest
Monday, June 16, 2008

Good Evening:

Concerned,

Laura Correnti

What "personal gains" are achieved by any of the members who voted no?

Guest Guest
Monday, June 16, 2008

Good Evening:

Concerned,

Laura Correnti

How do you know who did or did not vote in the committee process? How do you know that other candidates did or did not present plans for their vision of the position in question?

Guest Very Concerned Parent

Laura,

Do you know how the voting went? This is VERY unfortunate, and I want to know so I can vote accordingly next election. If what you say happened truly occurred, then we definitely need many changes on this Board. There have been other instances when this Board has done nothing and looked the other way while there were injustices happening, we do need change right here in Kearny.

Guest Guest

Dear Laura, I don't know you, but I do know your Mother and I can say without a doubt she was the best counselor my kids ever had. She always was there for me when I had questions. She fought for my children when she felt they were getting a raw deal. She told me straight out what I needed to do as a parent and what my children needed to do to succeed. She investigated one time lost credit and it turned out the teacher never submitted a grade 2 years prior. My kid wasn't going to graduate! She took the time, returned phone calls and I will always have a special place in my heart for her. I'm sorry this happened.

Guest someone
Monday, June 16, 2008

Good Evening:

Concerned,

Laura Correnti

Dear Kearnians,

After this very disturbing letter from the daughter of Miss Correnti,I feel comprlled to respond to her concerns as to how this could happen to a wonderful and dedicated person in the Kearny school district.I myself had two daughters whograduated from Kearny High and was fortunate enough to be in the Honor Society 2001 when 9/11 hit.If you rememberhow this tragic event happened it was a devistation to all students who lost family, friends and relitives. If it wasn't for the loving support of the Honor Society Advisor Miss Correnti, my daughters fear and pain for the loss of the person they knew and lovedand lost in that event would surely have continued long after.Miss Correnti volunteered her self above and beyond to help those who where in the Honor Society and those who where not. She is the one to thank for the beautiful dedication to those who lost there lives that terrible daywith the memorial set for every American to remember,especialy for those who had someonethey knew and loved.I know that there is a tremendous amount of people whose lives wheretouched in a positive wayand will always beable to say she is my friend and my support and a second mom if I need one. For those members of the Boardwho think different,all I can say is shame on you and the people who voteed for you . The kids need a person like her and many more like her in there lives and so doe's the District.I ask the peopleof Kearnywhose sons and daughterslives has been blessed by her to respond to this travisty and let the Board Members know the damage they have caused.We love you and thank you for all you have done for the school ,my kids and I know it is hundreds more.

Thank You All

And especialy you

Miss Correnti

Guest Guest
What "personal gains" are achieved by any of the members who voted no?

Are you kidding me? RETRIBUTION for something that happened over a 30 year career. My question is, why weren't they prepared to vote yeh or nay? Obviously they have had time to make a decision, so why was it tabled. This is a big job folks!

The counseling department has to work all summer to make sure every student is accounted for or else the debacle regarding kids who didn't have enough foreign language credits (because somebody wasn't doing their job) will happen again. And you know who suffered in that case, the kids! And of course it was the low level kids who don't have anybody to fight for them. Of course the Board members don't talk about this.

Guest someone
I too was at the BOE meeting last night. However, I did not see "Kearny politics as usual". I saw a BOE finally stand up to the administrators and tell them we are not going to take the nonsense anymore. For years people have been given jobs because of who they know or who owes them. Last night, this was not the case.

I understand the intention and sentiment behind the person who started this post, however do you remember when your father had a coach terminated because of your not being put in the spotlight. That is true Kearny Politics.

That was the Degessier days,wake up

Guest *dgas*

Is that the same coach who was fired from his next job for allegedly hitting a kid?

Guest Disappointed Kearny Voter

Agreed, yet the nepotism does continue. Frank Digesere's sister was hired for a position at Washington School and he still continues to pull the strings for his puppets 'round the Board table. Great attempt to bring recognition to the obvious, but some things never change.

Guest Guest

If Barbara Correnti had the qualifications to obtain this position and there was no one else as qualified, I would have to say it was a personal vendetta by some of the board members... So what do they do now? Keep reposting the job until they come up with someone, when they already have a person who can take over the counseling position and knows the children already! This type of politics is not in the best interest of the Town of Kearny. What a shame that most of the board members can vote against Barbara Correnti without any justification. Maybe SHAME ON YOU should be called!

Guest baffled

I am not underatanding here. As I heard there were 10 candidates who applied and it was narrowed down to five. Then two dropped out and the three reamaining applicants interviewed. BC was the only in-district candidate and obviously has the experience and dedication. She was recommended by the Super, Assist. Super and HS Principal yet she was voted down. If this board knew they did not want her in this postion then why did they waste everyone's time and select her as a finalist - interview her - recommend her and then vote her down. Something just does not seem right. If this Board knew they did not want her in the position then they should have not even considered her to begin with and saved everyone concerned alot of time.

This is an important postion that has a starting date of July 1. Now it seems this will be an issue all summer and meanwhile the students lose. Who will be in place to get the ball rolling with scheduling etc. There is alot to be done in guidance in the summer. Now will the postion have to be re-posted once again? Will the students have to wait until another board meeting until they will have a Director of Student Personnel.

I also heard that the State testing process was the smoothest in years - this included testing all those extra Science students. Scores were back in a timely manner and many of the teachers in the high school I spoke to stated this was the nicest testing experience they have had in years. Could it be that the Powers to Be know this and don't want to lose a good thing??

In closing all I would like to say is we have to remember this has parents, homeowners and taxpayers. The students should come first and all these important decisions :blink: should be made in their best interest.

My children did well at KHS and I want the other students to have the same opportunities as mine. This means putting the best people in the jobs they are qualified for.

I would hate to think this was politics at play but if someone else can enlighten me and explain why this qualified woman was shot down then please do so. Because as I stated in my name "I AM BAFFLED"!!!!

Guest Guest

Welcome to the real world. I’ll never understand what makes people like this think they are automatically entitled to positions. They complain about politics as usual yet when Mr. Correnti got on the board for the specific purpose of seeing that the soccer coach was not re-hired it was ok.

This woman has been paid very nicely for her thirty years, including being paid for all of the extra work that was mentioned in the post.

I don’t think the BOE has gone far enough. It’s time to start eliminating some of these ridiculous budget wasting positions

Guest Kearny kards
Monday, June 16, 2008

Good Evening:

Concerned,

Laura Correnti

What members of the Board voted against and what members abstained? Anyone we know that use to be close?

Guest Guest
What members of the Board voted against and what members abstained? Anyone we know that use to be close?

During the interview process on June 3rd:

Recommended Barbara Correnti for Director of Student Personnel Services in 9-Member Interview Committee: Campbell, Kiss (former Director of Guidance & current Asst. Superintendent), McCann (KHS Teacher), Mooney (Superintendent), Russo (current Director of Gudiance), Somma (former Guidance Counselor & current HS Principal) and Tutak (Elementary Principal)

Chose Not to Vote in 9-Member Interview Committee: Marks and Stevenson

Tabled, closed-session discussed vote at BOE meeting on June 16th:

Voting Yes: Campbell, Doffont, McKeown

Voting No: McDonald, Marks, Santos, Schalago, Stevenson and Weber

And yet there is still no justification from the board members who chose not to vote or voted no other that to offer "no comment"...

Guest Guest
I am not underatanding here. As I heard there were 10 candidates who applied and it was narrowed down to five. Then two dropped out and the three reamaining applicants interviewed. BC was the only in-district candidate and obviously has the experience and dedication. She was recommended by the Super, Assist. Super and HS Principal yet she was voted down. If this board knew they did not want her in this postion then why did they waste everyone's time and select her as a finalist - interview her - recommend her and then vote her down. Something just does not seem right. If this Board knew they did not want her in the position then they should have not even considered her to begin with and saved everyone concerned alot of time.

This is an important postion that has a starting date of July 1. Now it seems this will be an issue all summer and meanwhile the students lose. Who will be in place to get the ball rolling with scheduling etc. There is alot to be done in guidance in the summer. Now will the postion have to be re-posted once again? Will the students have to wait until another board meeting until they will have a Director of Student Personnel.

I also heard that the State testing process was the smoothest in years - this included testing all those extra Science students. Scores were back in a timely manner and many of the teachers in the high school I spoke to stated this was the nicest testing experience they have had in years. Could it be that the Powers to Be know this and don't want to lose a good thing??

In closing all I would like to say is we have to remember this has parents, homeowners and taxpayers. The students should come first and all these important decisions :blink: should be made in their best interest.

My children did well at KHS and I want the other students to have the same opportunities as mine. This means putting the best people in the jobs they are qualified for.

I would hate to think this was politics at play but if someone else can enlighten me and explain why this qualified woman was shot down then please do so. Because as I stated in my name "I AM BAFFLED"!!!!

First of all, get your facts straight. 5 people applied, 2 backed out and the hand picked committee of the Superintendent did the rest. The BOE members who voted no, most likely did so because they do not feel comfortable with the process and want it to change. Too many people have been given positions in the school district people they even sent in resumes. This is a known fact, and if all the people posting looked back over the years as to who was hired, they would know this to be true.

As far as the test scores. The numbers are down by 10%. Students were tested that shouldn't have been and the scores coming back in a timely manner has nothing to do with who is in the DC position. The state determines when they are returned. 150 plus students failed. Personnally, I don't even think B. Correnti should have this job either after the dismal test results.

Guest Guest
Is that the same coach who was fired from his next job for allegedly hitting a kid?

It was the same coach that everyone in Kearny loved and did a very good job of leading Kearny Soccer.

Guest Guest
First of all, get your facts straight. 5 people applied, 2 backed out and the hand picked committee of the Superintendent did the rest. The BOE members who voted no, most likely did so because they do not feel comfortable with the process and want it to change. Too many people have been given positions in the school district people they even sent in resumes. This is a known fact, and if all the people posting looked back over the years as to who was hired, they would know this to be true.

As far as the test scores. The numbers are down by 10%. Students were tested that shouldn't have been and the scores coming back in a timely manner has nothing to do with who is in the DC position. The state determines when they are returned. 150 plus students failed. Personnally, I don't even think B. Correnti should have this job either after the dismal test results.

If what you say is true regarding board members not feeling comfortable with the hiring process, why has "no comment" been their response to their decision? What is the justification for not appointing the recommended candidate? The public is waiting...

And further, while it may be true that the DC may not have anything to do with test results coming in an timely matter, how is she responsible for whether or not students fail? That is a student-by-student case that can be attributed to factors far beyond one person's means. Commone sense. She organizes the process for testing to take place in an efficient matter. Which if you read the above post you responded to from an insider, this was the case.

And finally, just where did you get your facts from? The final testing report doesn't even come in until December so by no means can you attest to numbers being down by 10% or 150+ students failing as being firm, accurate figures. The voting public and the students deserve the truth not "personal" opinions.

Guest parent
It was the same coach that everyone in Kearny loved and did a very good job of leading Kearny Soccer.

FORGET THE SOCCER : WHERE TALKING ABOUT KIDS EDUCATION { WHATS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE }

Guest GUEST
Welcome to the real world. I’ll never understand what makes people like this think they are automatically entitled to positions. They complain about politics as usual yet when Mr. Correnti got on the board for the specific purpose of seeing that the soccer coach was not re-hired it was ok.

This woman has been paid very nicely for her thirty years, including being paid for all of the extra work that was mentioned in the post.

I don’t think the BOE has gone far enough. It’s time to start eliminating some of these ridiculous budget wasting positions

Budget wasting positions? Are you kidding me? The entire school revolves around the guidance department. If we got rid of this "budget wasting position"...the school would not function properly. Get your facts straight before you open your mouth.

And by the way, if you calculated the "nice pay" for all the extra work hours, you would be lucky to make MINIMUM WAGE. You can be assured that the hours far exceed any pay received.

Guest Guest

Ridiculous budget wasting postions! You really don't mean that the head of the Counseling Dept is a budget wasted position? You really can't pay someone enough to do that job! The head of the State testing department? That's wasteful? I don't think so. The real waste is in the custodial department, where everybody and anybody who has had a heart attack or lost their job is in! No, the people who are in administrative positions give more than they are paid. And I have to say, not knowing BC very well, that she was appointed very late (which is so typical in our district) and she did an amazing job at scheduling everything, and all went very smoothly, unlike the past.

Guest Guest

150 our of how many? Approximately 1600? And how many of those don't speak English? Are you kidding me? She made sure the test was administered according to the law and scheduled how the test was to be conducted. What numbers are down 10 percent? If you had any idea what these teachers are up against you couldn't possibly make this comment. Moron.