Bush and $4-a-gallon Gasoline

Manscape

The Bush nightmare without end....... ^_^

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/poli...8_bush29.html?4

$4-a-gallon gas? Predictions surprise Bush

By Seattle Times news services

RON EDMONDS / AP

President Bush speaks Thursday during a news conference at the White House.

Related

Pelosi seeks investigation of Bush aides

Archive | Gas prices soaring as crude oil tops $101

WASHINGTON — The bulletin reached President Bush toward the end of his news conference Thursday.

Peter Maer of CBS News Radio asked: "What's your advice to the average American who is hurting now, facing the prospect of $4-a-gallon gasoline, a lot of people facing ... "

"Wait, what did you just say?" the president interrupted. "You're predicting $4-a-gallon gasoline?"

Maer responded: "A number of analysts are predicting $4-a-gallon gasoline."

Bush's rejoinder: "Oh, yeah? That's interesting. I hadn't heard that."

The president, once known for his common-guy skills, sounded eerily like his father, who in 1992 seemed amazed to discover that supermarkets had bar-code scanners.

The $4-a-gallon forecasts were reported widely in newspapers and on TV in the past week. The White House press secretary took a question about $4 gas at her Wednesday media briefing. A poll last month found that nearly three-quarters of Americans expect $4-a-gallon gas.

The president, however, had difficulty grasping the possibility, even after Maer told him.

"You just said the price of gasoline may be up to $4 a gallon — or some expert told you that," Bush repeated. "That creates a lot of uncertainty."

Bush's acknowledged unfamiliarity with the recent cost of gasoline produced some fumes at the pump.

At a Shell service station in San Mateo, Calif., the price of a gallon of regular had already reached $4.29, well above the California average of $3.42, as measured by AAA.

"Bush is out of touch with a lot of things we are facing today," said Marisa Cajbon, 33, who was filling her Toyota Sequoia SUV. "I have to buy gas. I need to work. I have two kids. I think it's unfortunate. I think it's a crime."

Bush also tried to put the best spin he could on months of bleak economic news. "I don't think we're headed to a recession, but no question we're in a slowdown," he said.

When NBC's David Gregory invited him to criticize Democratic presidential candidates for not knowing much about the expected new Russian president, Dmitry Medvedev, Bush replied: "I don't know much about Medvedev, either."

Agence France-Presse's Olivier Knox asked Bush why he was going to the Olympics in China despite the country's human-rights record. "I'm a sports fan," the president said.

Bush waded into presidential politics, criticizing the Democratic contenders for their positions on free trade and taking particular aim at Sen. Barack Obama for his comments about the wisdom of meeting the new leader of Cuba.

Bush did not attack by name either Obama or his rival for the party's nomination, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton. But there was no masking his disdain for the Democrats' positions on several campaign issues, including the war, the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) and the political transition in Cuba.

While both Democratic candidates have called for renegotiating NAFTA, the president stood behind the pact.

"The idea of just unilaterally withdrawing from a trade treaty because of trying to score political points is not good policy," he said.

He reserved his harshest comments for Obama's recent statement that he would be willing to meet the new leader of Cuba, Raul Castro, "without preconditions."

Bush has refused to meet with foreign adversaries such as Kim Jong Il of North Korea and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran.

"What's lost by embracing a tyrant who puts his people in prison because of their political beliefs?" Bush said in reference to Castro. "What's lost is it will send the wrong message. It will send a discouraging message to those who wonder whether America will continue to work for the freedom of prisoners."

Bush went on: "I'm not suggesting there's never a time to talk, but I'm suggesting now is not the time — not to talk with Raul Castro."

But "sitting down at the table, having your picture taken with a tyrant such as Raul Castro, for example, lends the status of the office and the status of our country to him," Bush said. "He gains a lot from it by saying, 'Look at me, I'm now recognized by the president of the United States.' "

Material from The Washington Post, the Los Angeles Times, The New York Times and Chicago Tribune is included in this report.

Copyright © 2008 The Seattle Times Company

Guest Guest
The Bush nightmare without end....... ^_^

RON EDMONDS / AP

Related

WASHINGTON — The bulletin reached President Bush toward the end of his news conference Thursday.

Peter Maer of CBS News Radio asked: "What's your advice to the average American who is hurting now, facing the prospect of $4-a-gallon gasoline, a lot of people facing ... "

"Wait, what did you just say?" the president interrupted. "You're predicting $4-a-gallon gasoline?"

The president, once known for his common-guy skills, sounded eerily like his father, who in 1992 seemed amazed to discover that supermarkets had bar-code scanners.

The $4-a-gallon forecasts were reported widely in newspapers and on TV in the past week. The White House press secretary took a question about $4 gas at her Wednesday media briefing. A poll last month found that nearly three-quarters of Americans expect $4-a-gallon gas.

The president, however, had difficulty grasping the possibility, even after Maer told him.

"You just said the price of gasoline may be up to $4 a gallon — or some expert told you that," Bush repeated. "That creates a lot of uncertainty."

Bush's acknowledged unfamiliarity with the recent cost of gasoline produced some fumes at the pump.

At a Shell service station in San Mateo, Calif., the price of a gallon of regular had already reached $4.29, well above the California average of $3.42, as measured by AAA.

"Bush is out of touch with a lot of things we are facing today," said Marisa Cajbon, 33, who was filling her Toyota Sequoia SUV. "I have to buy gas. I need to work. I have two kids. I think it's unfortunate. I think it's a crime."

Bush also tried to put the best spin he could on months of bleak economic news. "I don't think we're headed to a recession, but no question we're in a slowdown," he said.

When NBC's David Gregory invited him to criticize Democratic presidential candidates for not knowing much about the expected new Russian president, Dmitry Medvedev, Bush replied: "I don't know much about Medvedev, either."

Agence France-Presse's Olivier Knox asked Bush why he was going to the Olympics in China despite the country's human-rights record. "I'm a sports fan," the president said.

Bush waded into presidential politics, criticizing the Democratic contenders for their positions on free trade and taking particular aim at Sen. Barack Obama for his comments about the wisdom of meeting the new leader of Cuba.

Bush did not attack by name either Obama or his rival for the party's nomination, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton. But there was no masking his disdain for the Democrats' positions on several campaign issues, including the war, the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) and the political transition in Cuba.

While both Democratic candidates have called for renegotiating NAFTA, the president stood behind the pact.

"The idea of just unilaterally withdrawing from a trade treaty because of trying to score political points is not good policy," he said.

He reserved his harshest comments for Obama's recent statement that he would be willing to meet the new leader of Cuba, Raul Castro, "without preconditions."

Bush has refused to meet with foreign adversaries such as Kim Jong Il of North Korea and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran.

"What's lost by embracing a tyrant who puts his people in prison because of their political beliefs?" Bush said in reference to Castro. "What's lost is it will send the wrong message. It will send a discouraging message to those who wonder whether America will continue to work for the freedom of prisoners."

Bush went on: "I'm not suggesting there's never a time to talk, but I'm suggesting now is not the time — not to talk with Raul Castro."

But "sitting down at the table, having your picture taken with a tyrant such as Raul Castro, for example, lends the status of the office and the status of our country to him," Bush said. "He gains a lot from it by saying, 'Look at me, I'm now recognized by the president of the United States.' "

Material from The Washington Post, the Los Angeles Times, The New York Times and Chicago Tribune is included in this report.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Oh !! I must have nodded off.

Guest Guest
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

The saddest part is that this idiotic guest thinks he's witty.

Don't quit your day job.

Guest Guest

Gas is $4 a gallon, and the president and vice-president are former oil executives. I suggest you wake up.

That article was written Feb 28, when the price of gas was $3.10.

The price of gas stabilized between 2.95 and 3.20 for the preceding four months. Very few analysts were then saying it would go to 4. In that context Bush's response was not unreasonable.

Guest Guest
Gas is $4 a gallon, and the president and vice-president are former oil executives. I suggest you wake up.

So is Al Gore's father..and, if you check closely enough i'm CERTAIN you'll find ties to the Oil industry on the dem side..along with every OTHER Lobby out there. But your right it's all Bush's fault ^_^ it has NOTHING to do with Speculators driving the barrel price up, OPEC having total control over imports, and the fact that we can't drill on our OWN Reserves, or Build a new refinery because of Fanatical Environmentalists. It also has NOTHING to do with the fact that we havent had a NEW Nuclear Reactor License issued in almost 40 years (Thank god SOMEONE got their head out of their ass and the NRC has issued 5 new licneses for new construction), and the majority of our Electricity is produced with Petroleum. Of course State taxes dont amount to a significant portion of that per gallon price either... Nope it's all Bush/Cheney's fault. We cant Drill in aNWAR, We cant Drill of the Eastern Coast, We Cant Drill in the Gulf of Mexico (But the Chinese can by drilling on a slant from Cuba), we cant have Wind Farms.. We COULD be energy Independant if we used our own resourrces while we worked on solid, viable alternatives..instead, we'll continute to be held at Gunpoint by OPEC.

Guest Guest

Exactly, you just keep on sleeping while the country goes down the shitter. Stay uninformed, just like our president and the world will be a better place. Are you not concerned at all that the president doesn't even know the price of a gallon of gas? OMG, my 9 year old son even knows the price of gas. It is about the only thing people, including the MEDIA are talking about. What the hell does he do all day!!

Guest Guest
So is Al Gore's father..and, if you check closely enough i'm CERTAIN you'll find ties to the Oil industry on the dem side..along with every OTHER Lobby out there. But your right it's all Bush's fault :lol: it has NOTHING to do with Speculators driving the barrel price up, OPEC having total control over imports, and the fact that we can't drill on our OWN Reserves, or Build a new refinery because of Fanatical Environmentalists. It also has NOTHING to do with the fact that we havent had a NEW Nuclear Reactor License issued in almost 40 years (Thank god SOMEONE got their head out of their ass and the NRC has issued 5 new licneses for new construction), and the majority of our Electricity is produced with Petroleum. Of course State taxes dont amount to a significant portion of that per gallon price either... Nope it's all Bush/Cheney's fault. We cant Drill in aNWAR, We cant Drill of the Eastern Coast, We Cant Drill in the Gulf of Mexico (But the Chinese can by drilling on a slant from Cuba), we cant have Wind Farms.. We COULD be energy Independant if we used our own resourrces while we worked on solid, viable alternatives..instead, we'll continute to be held at Gunpoint by OPEC.

I don't care which party they're in. We've seen this coming for more than thirty years, and have done almost nothing to develop sustainable energy sources. Meanwhile, the oil companies are making record profits while ordinary Americans are having trouble keeping their homes and sending their kids to college. Drilling in the USA is a short-term palliative, but not a long-term solution. Experts, and politicians in both parties, agree that we must end our dependence on oil. Yet we've done nothing except ensure that the oil companies made record profits. This is a failure of the political system, and Bush and Cheney are loving it. They don't care.

Guest 2smart4u
I don't care which party they're in. We've seen this coming for more than thirty years, and have done almost nothing to develop sustainable energy sources. Meanwhile, the oil companies are making record profits while ordinary Americans are having trouble keeping their homes and sending their kids to college. Drilling in the USA is a short-term palliative, but not a long-term solution. Experts, and politicians in both parties, agree that we must end our dependence on oil. Yet we've done nothing except ensure that the oil companies made record profits. This is a failure of the political system, and Bush and Cheney are loving it. They don't care.

The Defeatocrats have been in the majority in Congress for almost 4 years. I'm still waiting for them to do something/anything.

Guest TheoryCat
The Defeatocrats have been in the majority in Congress for almost 4 years. I'm still waiting for them to do something/anything.

Less than a year and a half actually, and without enough of a majority to overcome a filibuster or veto.

Guest Guest

No one is SAYING it's the permanant solution,,but it WOULD take some of the pressure off of the working guy, and give us some breathing room to keep working on alternatives. As far as the Record Profits..you DO realize that the Profit Margin is right around 8 1/2 Percent, right?? and out of that Margin they Oil Companies pay 46% in taxes. Looking at the base NUMBERS it seems huge..but looking at the percentages, they're working at the same margin as most other businesses. Also remember that almost FIFTY Percent of the stock in the domestic Oil producers isnt owned by the elites, they;re owned by average joes and janes who have money in Mutual funds, Pension Funds, and Money Markets. Everyone is screaming "Punish Big oil" without realizing they'd be stickign that knife in the back of a WHOLE lot of their neighbors...or even themselves in the end.

Guest Guest
No one is SAYING it's the permanant solution,,but it WOULD take some of the pressure off of the working guy, and give us some breathing room to keep working on alternatives.

Are you serious? There's 40,000 barrels there. That's it. It would be nothing more than a drop in the bucket.

The Bush nightmare without end....... :huh:

RON EDMONDS / AP

Related

You people make me laugh, You believe that Obama will be the Savior of the USA. That somehow once he's elected he's going to bring down the price of gas not only can't he do it he won't, That Obama will end the war in Iraq not only won't but can't stop the war. My predictions should Obama become president, Gas will continue to rise in cost, the war in Iraq will continue and we'll be at war with Iran before his term is up. Of course you take your rant from the Liberal rag the Seattle times

Guest Patriot
You people make me laugh, You believe that Obama will be the Savior of the USA. That somehow once he's elected he's going to bring down the price of gas not only can't he do it he won't, That Obama will end the war in Iraq not only won't but can't stop the war. My predictions should Obama become president, Gas will continue to rise in cost, the war in Iraq will continue and we'll be at war with Iran before his term is up. Of course you take your rant from the Liberal rag the Seattle times

The more we find out about Obama and his racist wife, the more I'm convinced he can't win. His "tax and spend" mentality, his naive views

of the world and lack of experience as a junior senator expose him as a fraud.

Guest Guest

Wow, I think you got your candidates confused. McCain's the one who doesn't care when the troops come home, and jokes about bombing Iran, remember?

Guest Keith

Where was your crystal ball when you voted for Bush?

Where was your crystal ball when you voted for Bush?

Did'nt vote for Bush numbnuts. I voted for Kerry, Although I will not vote for Barack E Urkel. My God the guy looks like a cross between Alfred E Neuman and Steve Urkel. Yeah I want him for president " Did I do that"