Why don't they support our service people ?

Guest Guest

A Kearny Airman is being denied his rights by our County Government! (See Kearny,Harrison, East Newark Journal Thursday, OCT 6,2005)

Why, don't our elected officals support our service people?

First our Local officals do not fully support our municipal employees in the reserves and now the county is doing the same to a Kearny airman.

Our Freeholder, and Mayor should fully support Airman Mc Millian? They, at least owe him that much!

Any members of the VFW, Marine Corp. League, or American Legion. Please make your memberships aware of this lack of support!

All citizens of Kearny and Hudson County and the state of New Jersey be aware this how your elected officals treat our people who serve.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A Kearny Airman is being denied his rights by our County Government! (See Kearny,Harrison, East Newark Journal Thursday, OCT 6,2005)

First our Local officals do not fully support our municipal employees in the reserves and now the county is doing the same to a Kearny airman.

Our Freeholder, and Mayor should fully support Airman Mc Millian? They, at least owe him that much!

Any members of the VFW, Marine Corp. League, or American Legion. Please make your memberships aware of this lack of support!

All citizens of Kearny and Hudson County and the state of New Jersey be aware this how your elected officals treat our people who serve.

Loud and clear brother. Hang tight and support those who support you!

Mistreating service people seems to be the American. Good going pollys. Your true clors are showing." GOD BLESS AMERICA AND THOSE WHO SERVE" Shame on you guys in power.

Did Santos serve the country in anyway?

Everyone is talking about our "local officials" not supporting town employees who are activated. Yet, until this story about Keith McMillan, a county employee, broke, there have been no stories, no letters to the editor or no editorials referring to the town's policies.

Don't you think the veterans organizations you mentioned would be up in arms if what is being claimed was true? Don't you think it would have been spoken about at a council meeting?

Did you read the whole article? The case is not about monetary compensation, it has to do with Mr. McMillan's assertion that he has not been advanced on his County job because of his time away in the service. If this is true, then it is wrong. If he has not been promoted for other reasons, then you're jumping the gun here. It is being investigated and forwarded to the Justice Department.

If you have been following the posts here regarding Kearny employees who are activated you will know that the Town's policy is geared so that no one who serves loses financially. Kearny goes beyond what is required by law, so that its employees earn no less than their regular salary while away from home.

FYI: Members of vet's organizations have already asked the questions and had them answered.

Guest curious

I read the report, (I also read it much earlier in the Star Ledger), this article presents ONE SIDE OF THE STORY. At this point, as with the pay receivied by the reservist(s), why not hear both sides PRIOR TO REACHING A CONCLUSION. This sounds, at least to me, as a case of one person thinking he is better than everyone else at his Dept.

Did you read the whole article? The case is not about monetary compensation, it has to do with Mr. McMillan's assertion that he has not been advanced on his County job because of his time away in the service. If this is true, then it is wrong. If he has not been promoted for other reasons, then you're jumping the gun here. It is being investigated and forwarded to the Justice Department.

If you have been following the posts here regarding Kearny employees who are activated you will know that the Town's policy is geared so that no one who serves loses financially. Kearny goes beyond what is required by law, so that its employees earn no less than their regular salary while away from home.

FYI: Members of vet's organizations have already asked the questions and had them answered.

Sometimes, albeit rarely, I really wonder who you are. Because you are being seriously misinformed on this issue.

In case anyone missed it, here is the OFFICIAL SANTOS POLICY SOUNDBITE on this issue:

". . . the Town's policy is geared so that no one who serves loses financially. Kearny goes beyond what is required by law, so that its employees earn no less than their regular salary while away from home. "

as dictated (and often repeated) by the OFFICIAL SANTOS POLICY CHEERLEADER.

My God Realist, you remind me of Ron Ziegler.

But even you have to admit that this OFFICIAL SANTOS POLICY is a depature from previous administrations, isn't it? Didn't reservists receive a greater compensation under other mayors?

Jim Mangin

I read the report, (I also read it much earlier in the Star Ledger), this article presents ONE SIDE OF THE STORY. At this point, as with the pay receivied by the reservist(s), why not hear both sides PRIOR TO REACHING A CONCLUSION.  This sounds, at least to me, as a case of one person thinking he is better than everyone else at his Dept.

Spin Spin Spin. Ask those who serve. Do not believe the SPIN and those who know what was and what is now under Santos.

VOTE FOR THOSE WHO SUPPORT THOSE WHO SERVE US

VOTE FOR FORRESTER AND WRITE IN MANGIN

Start talking Kearny. FIGHT For what is right. YOUR paying the taxes.

In case anyone missed it, here is the OFFICIAL SANTOS POLICY SOUNDBITE on this issue:

". . . the Town's policy is geared so that no one who serves loses financially. Kearny goes beyond what is required by law, so that its employees earn no less than their regular salary while away from home. "

as dictated (and often repeated) by the OFFICIAL SANTOS POLICY CHEERLEADER.

My God Realist, you remind me of Ron Ziegler.

But even you have to admit that this OFFICIAL SANTOS POLICY  is a depature from previous administrations, isn't it? Didn't reservists receive a greater compensation under other mayors?

Jim Mangin

Greater compensation than full salary and benefits? Let's hear the unofficial (very unofficial) Mangin soundbite on this. This should be good!

Guest to those serving ! and those
He should have been ! Then he would respect and support those who do serve.

The Santos people do not support you for several reasons.

You have to realize that Kearny is broke. They need every dime they can get their hands on. A big tax increase is looming!

They also don't support Bush.

What they fail to realize is that those people were fighting want to put an end to our way of life.

No matter who is President or even Mayor of Kearny. Our enimes will continue to do what they do best and that is kill those who do not conform to their beliefs.

Don''t feel that this being done by the people of Kearny. It is people in power!

Greater compensation than full salary and benefits? Let's hear the unofficial (very unofficial) Mangin soundbite on this. This should be good!

Yes, they actually got to keep their FULL salaries...as in their town salary as well as their Military pay, rather than the town making up the difference.

Don''t feel that this being done by the people of Kearny. It is people in power!

Don't feel that WHAT is being done by the people in power? Let's hear what you see as this great injustice. No vagueries, no innuendo, just the facts as you know them.

Seriously, I really would like to know if, and exactly how, the town policy is screwing anyone who has been activated.

Guest Reason why
Don't feel that WHAT is being done by the people in power? Let's hear what you see as this great injustice. No vagueries, no innuendo, just the facts as you know them.

Seriously, I really would like to know if, and exactly how, the town policy is screwing anyone who has been activated.

The Untited States Military Reserve is like no other military organization in the world. They can fight a war or respond to natural disaster. They can do both at the same time.

They can do this because they train and have willing,commited,patriotic Americans

They need our full support to train and to respond to whatever threatens us.

Our elected officals in Kearny do not see this as a local obligation, or as just the right thing to do as Americans.

They seen cutting their support as a way of saving a dollar, and they jumped on it. I agree they are in trouble budget wise. Taxes are going to rise.

It is nothing personnal towards those involved. It may not even have to do with their support of Bush. Their actions have to do with their need to patch up their budget.

We can only pray that they do not waste this money saved by cutting the support of our service people.

A Realist,

Maybe, just maybe the Town is NOW meeting the bare bones minimum for "activated" soldiers and sailors without "screwing" them. Where in the past they went above and beyond, but now what about training weekends? I will keep it simple for you.....If I make $4.00 a day at my job and I miss a day of work to goto my military job and make $2.00 a day the Town doesnt want to pay me my $4.00 ....hell they dont want to pay me $2.00 so I can break even! Sounds like im getting screwed and if I didnt have the GD PRIDE SERVING MY COUNTRY TO PROTECT YOU I WOULD RESIGN MY MILITARY RANK......YOU SHOULD BE THANKFUL WE SERVE AND PROTECT YOU.................................................WHAT A FREAKIN DISGRACE YOU MAKE ME SICK

Agree or disagree? The towns new policy is to allow town employees off for weekend training but not to pay them. FACT In the past the town has always paid employees for weekend training. How can you sit there and say no employee loses money?

The Untited States Military Reserve is like no other military organization in the world. They can fight a war or respond to natural disaster. They can do both at the same time.

They can do this because they train and have willing,commited,patriotic Americans

Our elected officals in Kearny do not see this as a local obligation, or as just the right thing to do as Americans.

They seen cutting their support as a way of saving a dollar, and they jumped on it. I agree they are in trouble budget wise. Taxes are going to rise.

It is nothing personnal towards those involved. It may not even have to do with their support of Bush. Their actions have to do with their need to patch up their budget.

We can only pray that they do not waste this money saved by cutting the support of our service people.

I agree with every accolade you use in regard to our Guard and Reserve members, but you haven't answered my question. Please tell us EXACTLY how the Town of Kearny has not shown full support for those volunteers who are called into service.

There is a very simple way to determine the Town's policy on this. Just make a call to the Clerk or the Mayor and ask! But in case you don't have the time to do that, let me tell you what I found out.

Here's the procedure: a reservist or guardsman presents his/her military orders to the department head who in turn requests the Mayor & Council to grant leave; the employee's position is secured while he/she serves; benefits are accrued as if he/she were still working in town; the employee receives full military AND full civilian pay for either 30 or 90 days depending on the branch of service; after that, although not required by law, Kearny sees to it that the employee receives no less than his/her regular town salary for the entire duration of the served period. So no salary, no benefits are reduced to the employee or the employee's family while he/she serves and they come home to their regular jobs when they complete their tour.

Maybe I'm missing something here. If you know something more, please share it because, so far, all I've heard is a bunch of baseless third and fourth party gossip.

We can only pray that they do not waste this money saved by cutting the support

of our service people.

What are the odds that they will spend the money saved by changing this policy wisely ? I'd say, slim to none. They will find a way to waste it directing it to something or someone who is more deserving in their eyes.

You have to realize that Kearny is broke. They need every dime they can get their hands on. A big tax increase is looming!

What they fail to realize is that those people were fighting want to put an end to our way of life.

No matter who is President or even Mayor of Kearny. Our enimes will continue to do what they do best and that is kill those who do not conform to their beliefs.

I have to say your right. It's wrong to hurt these guys, but that's politics!

Guest Radagast

I don't know if the Town is paying active service men and women or not. What I see here on this board is very confusing, however, it is my belief that they should be paid at least the difference between what they get from thr US military and what they would be making if they were home. Hell, we do it for people on jury duty why not those active in the military?

However, I must take exception to your statement thet 'those people we're fighting want to put an end to our way of life' .. if you are refering to the War on Iraq, you are very mistaken. Most of those people simply want us out of their country.

If you sign up for military service you are saying that you will go wherever the commander-in-chief tells you to go. I can disagree with Mr. Bush's war but they can't. Even if they do, they are still obligated to fight in it or face a very harsh kind of breach of contract. That is why far fewer of our high school graduates are signing that contract now than in years past. In my view, Bush has poisoned the water with his lies and the military is suffering for it.

In any event, its not as if they are taking time off from work to go have fun ... they should be compensated and I don't think you would find too many Kearny tax payers who would deny them.

The answer to all of this is very simple - the Mayor and Council should adopt a policy to treat all reservists the same, regardless of which branch they serve. In other words, if the Town's policy has remain unchanged for the Naval militia where Firefighter Pettigrew serves, keep it unchanged for all the other branches as well.

We all agree the cost would be peanuts in the Town budget. We all agree that Kearny taxpayers would not be upset. And we all agree that these servicemen deserve at least this much support.

Is it me, or is this a case of not seeing the forest for the trees?

Jim Mangin

Guest Waiting for an answer A Realist&
A Realist,

Maybe, just maybe the Town is NOW meeting the bare bones minimum for "activated" soldiers and sailors without "screwing" them.  Where in the past they  went above and beyond, but now what about training weekends?  I will keep it simple for you.....If I make $4.00 a day at my job and I miss a day of work to goto my military job and make $2.00 a day the Town doesnt want to pay me my $4.00 ....hell they dont want to pay me $2.00 so I can break even!  Sounds like im getting screwed and if I didnt have the GD PRIDE SERVING MY COUNTRY TO PROTECT YOU I WOULD RESIGN MY MILITARY RANK......YOU SHOULD BE THANKFUL WE SERVE AND PROTECT YOU.................................................WHAT A FREAKIN DISGRACE YOU MAKE ME SICK

Agree or disagree?  The towns new policy is to allow town employees off for weekend training but not to pay them.  FACT In the past the town has always paid employees for weekend training.  How can you sit there and say no employee loses money?

Mr. A. Realist,

Your county requests that you enlist in it's Armed Forces. You sound like Green Beret material to me.

If you are not in top physical condition we can always use your services in the CIA.

Remember Freedom Isn't Free! The Tree of liberty is watered with the blood of patroits!

Archived