Why don't they support our service people ?

Guest Guest

The answer to all of this is very simple - the Mayor and Council should adopt a policy to treat all reservists the same, regardless of which branch they serve. In other words, if the Town's policy has remain unchanged for the Naval militia where Firefighter Pettigrew serves, keep it unchanged for all the other branches as well. 

We all agree the cost would be peanuts in the Town budget. We all agree that Kearny taxpayers would not be upset. And we all agree that these servicemen deserve at least this much support.

Is it me, or is this a case of not seeing the forest for the trees?

Jim Mangin

How can one person's service be less valued than anothers?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr. A. Realist,

Your county requests that you enlist in it's Armed Forces. You sound like Green Beret material to me.

If you are not in top physical condition we can always use your services in the CIA.

Remember Freedom Isn't Free!  The Tree of liberty is watered with the blood of patroits!

Please remember, Surrealist only ASKS questions here; answers are left to everyone else.

Guest What is the Naval milita?
The answer to all of this is very simple - the Mayor and Council should adopt a policy to treat all reservists the same, regardless of which branch they serve. In other words, if the Town's policy has remain unchanged for the Naval militia where Firefighter Pettigrew serves, keep it unchanged for all the other branches as well. 

We all agree the cost would be peanuts in the Town budget. We all agree that Kearny taxpayers would not be upset. And we all agree that these servicemen deserve at least this much support.

Is it me, or is this a case of not seeing the forest for the trees?

Jim Mangin

What is the Naval Milita is that the Navy Reserve or something different?

Please remember, Surrealist only ASKS questions here; answers are left to everyone else.

You're joking, right? While you cry foul based on speculation and your self-serving agenda to discredit the Santos Administration, I actually obtained the information regarding compensation for activated employees...and posted at least three times. But the truth doesn't meet your criteria so you just abandon it. Great M.O.!

Guest A. Realist where are you?

Does the Town pay an employee for missing work to attend a weekend training? Did the Town ever pay an employee to attend weekend training?

Is the military member suffering a finacial loss?

answer key:

NO

YES

YES

You're joking, right? While you cry foul based on speculation and your self-serving agenda to discredit the Santos Administration, I actually obtained the information regarding compensation for activated employees...and posted at least three times. But the truth doesn't meet your criteria  so you just abandon it. Great M.O.!

You're joking, right? While you cry foul based on speculation and your self-serving agenda to discredit the Santos Administration, I actually obtained the information regarding compensation for activated employees...and posted at least three times. But the truth doesn't meet your criteria  so you just abandon it. Great M.O.!

I'm not joking, whatever info you have, I have not seen, but will gladly (and have in the past) dispute.

In days gone by, reservists received full compensation plus whatever they were paid by their military affiliation. Today, for weekend training, they receive their military pay (all of it) plus the town pay MINUS what is deemed their daily rate for whatever job they fulfill. Cheerlead all you want, these are the facts. I don't know who came up with this policy, or even how many members of the council are fully AWARE of this new policy, but it is happening. Head back in the sand SURREALIST, these facts are more than you can handle.

The truth is the Town of Kearny Santos can do better for those in the military.

If you have studied the law you know this to be true.

IF the administration wants to do less for these people. Their defenders should at least have the courage to say, This is what we think they deserve.

The word is some of them are not happy or proud of what they have done.

They should rethink what they have done after all the law is permissive. I hope those on the council are aware of that fact.

Guest Citizen of Kearny

\

Do The best we can for these guys. Why did this all start anyway?

I'm not joking, whatever info you have, I have not seen, but will gladly (and have in the past) dispute.

In days gone by, reservists received full compensation plus whatever they were paid by their military affiliation.  Today, for weekend training, they receive their military pay (all of it) plus the town pay MINUS what is deemed their daily rate for whatever job they fulfill.  Cheerlead all you want, these are the facts.  I don't know who came up with this policy, or even how many members of the council are fully AWARE of this new policy, but it is happening.  Head back in the sand SURREALIST, these facts are more than you can handle.

Boy are you confused! First of all, all weekend training sessions are not compulsory. Those that are, will produce military orders and military orders are compensatory.

Employees who normally work on weekends (police officers and firefighters) are given the opportunity to do a "swap" so that all tours are covered and no one loses hours.

When compensation is paid, it is not Town salary minus the daily rate, it is the total of both salaries for the alloted number of days (30 for some, 90 for others, depending on the service branch), then full service pay plus the differential to equal full civilian pay. So the employee who earns, for example, $600.00 per week for his civilian job and $200.00 per week for his military service will earn $800.00 per week for the prescribed number of days and then his regular $600.00 per week (consisting of the $200.00 military pay and the differential of $400.00 civilian pay) for the duration of his service. No one loses financially, except maybe the Town if someone has to be paid to fill in for the activated employee. Do you understand now?

I'm convinced that the members of the Council are all intelligent enough to grasp this and all involved enough to have had input.

BTW: That's "Sir Realist" to you.

Boy are you confused! First of all, all weekend training sessions are not compulsory. Those that are, will produce military orders and military orders are compensatory.

Employees who normally work on weekends (police officers and firefighters) are given the opportunity to do a "swap" so that all tours are covered and no one loses hours.

When compensation is paid, it is not Town salary minus the daily rate, it is the total of both salaries for the alloted number of days (30 for some, 90 for others, depending on the service branch), then full service pay plus the differential to equal full civilian pay. So the employee who earns, for example, $600.00 per week for his civilian job and $200.00 per week for his military service will earn $800.00 per week for the prescribed number of days and then his regular $600.00 per week (consisting of the $200.00 military pay and the differential of $400.00 civilian pay) for the duration of his service. No one loses financially, except maybe the Town if someone has to be paid to fill in for the activated employee. Do you understand now?

I'm convinced that the members of the Council are all intelligent enough to grasp this and all involved enough to have had input.

BTW: That's "Sir Realist" to you.

In order to get respect, first you must give some. You are the first to jump on others for spelling, grammatical errors and opinions that don't match yours. Since you cannot be respectful of others, I will not be respectful to you. Surrealist stands, your grasp of reality is inconceivable.

The only way I can prove my point is to show someone elses paystub, (which I have absolutely no right to do), but rest assured this person made less in that week than in other weeks of his ANNUAL salary. (The last part implies all paychecks, involving only base pay, would be the same.) Absent that, someone is losing financially. Believe half of what you read, and all of what you see. I have seen, and I believe. And I believe that this Mayor, Councilmembers, and any department head should be ashamed of this treatment of service people.

This discussion is getting old, and I think from now on, for the sheer joy, I will ignore MOST of your future posts. Like always, you are wrong.

P.S. Cause for rejoice, according to a survey NJ ranks sixteenth in corruption, we should all be proud.

In order to get respect, first you must give some.  You are the first to jump on others for spelling, grammatical errors and opinions that don't match yours.  Since you cannot be respectful of others, I will not be respectful to you.  Surrealist stands, your grasp of reality is inconceivable.

The only way I can prove my point is to show someone elses paystub, (which I have absolutely no right to do), but rest assured this person made less in that week than in other weeks of his ANNUAL salary.  (The last part implies all paychecks, involving only base pay, would be the same.)  Absent that, someone is losing financially.  Believe half of what you read, and all of what you see.  I have seen, and I believe.  And I believe that this Mayor, Councilmembers, and any department head should be ashamed of this treatment of service people.

This discussion is getting old, and I think from now on, for the sheer joy, I will ignore MOST of your future posts.  Like always, you are wrong.

P.S. Cause for rejoice, according to a survey NJ ranks sixteenth in corruption, we should all be proud.

I agree the Mayor and Council should be looking for ways help and support all our service people, instead of looking for ways to duck out on paying them.

This attuide is what is bringing America down!

This discussion is getting old, and I think from now on, for the sheer joy, I will ignore MOST of your future posts. 

Oh, no! Send me to my room! Take away my AARP discount card! Give away my seat on the senior bus! But for God's sake, don't IGNORE me! I just couldn't go on if you ignore me!!

Get a grip. I couldn't care less if you ignore me. Truth is, you can't. Oh, you may not reply to my posts (at least under your "Loki" tag) but everyone knows, you'll be reading every single word.... and seething.

Have a nice day!

Oh, no! Send me to my room! Take away my AARP discount card! Give away my seat on the senior bus! But for God's sake, don't IGNORE me! I just couldn't go on if you ignore me!!

Get a grip. I couldn't care less if you ignore me. Truth is, you can't. Oh, you may not reply to my posts (at least under your "Loki" tag) but everyone knows, you'll be reading every single word.... and seething.

Have a nice day!

[ What, a relationship you two have? Isn't it nice how this website brings people together!] At least some good came out of Santos screwing our service people.

Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!

A. Realist,

Been where? Done what? It seems to me that if you were ever in the military, then you would have more respect for your fellow brothers. However, you are lacking the support and respect that they deserve. You should be ashamed of yourself. Your above quote proves your ignorance. You make it seem that serving in the military is a game or a joke and the only reward is a tee-shirt.

A. Realist,

Been where? Done what?  It seems to me that if you were ever in the military, then you would have more respect for your fellow brothers.  However, you are lacking the support and respect that they deserve.  You should be ashamed of yourself.  Your above quote proves your ignorance.  You make it seem that serving in the military is a game or a joke and the only reward is a tee-shirt.

You, see A Realist for what he is a fake!

He thinks the Santos crowd is right all the time. He lives in a dream world. I guess he is John Wayne There or maybe Al Santos.

A. Realist,

Been where? Done what?  It seems to me that if you were ever in the military, then you would have more respect for your fellow brothers.  However, you are lacking the support and respect that they deserve.  You should be ashamed of yourself.  Your above quote proves your ignorance.  You make it seem that serving in the military is a game or a joke and the only reward is a tee-shirt.

Didn't you know? He's a war hero! He served in Nam with John Forbes Kerry. Now he reports for duty here on KOTW. :lol:

Hey Realist, did you pretend to throw away your medals also?

A. Realist,

You hit it right on the head. A Realist is a phony. Just like, the Mayor and Council who decide to hurt those serving in the military.

The Mayor and Council could not do what we ask of these people and of course there Children don't serve.

Mayor Santos and his Council are the real problem in America today. They really are a disgrace to America.

God, forgive they for what they have done.

You hit it right on the head. A Realist is a phony. Just like, the Mayor and Council who decide to hurt those serving in the military.

The Mayor and Council could not do what we ask of these people and of course there Children don't serve.

Mayor Santos and his Council are the real problem in America today. They really are a disgrace to America.

God, forgive they for what they have done.

Seriously, do you people ever actually try to get the real story on any issue? Or is it simply easier and less strenuous on your limited capacity to reason, if you just spread untruths and innuendo?

And of course it suits your vitriolic, self-serving anti-Santos agenda to call into question someone's patriotism. What a cheap and cowardly shot! Who the hell do you think you are? Joe McCarthy? How do you know what sacrifices people have made for God and Country, you self-righteous rumor monger? I don't know if you're male or female, but you've certainly got a pair of brass ones!

Politicizing this issue, armed with lies and misinformation....now that's un-American and a total disgrace. While you're being so magnanimous about asking God's forgiveness for everybody else, you might want to seek a little for your own mean-spirited gossiping.

Seriously, do you people ever actually try to get the real story on any issue? Or is it simply easier and less strenuous on your limited capacity to reason, if you just spread untruths and innuendo?

And of course it suits your vitriolic, self-serving anti-Santos agenda to call into question someone's patriotism. What a cheap and cowardly shot! Who the hell do you think you are? Joe McCarthy? How do you know what sacrifices people have made for God and Country, you self-righteous rumor monger? I don't know if you're male or female, but you've certainly got a brass pair!

Politicizing this issue, armed with lies and misinformation....now that's un-American and a total disgrace.

A Realist,

Don't it make you want to put on that "been there done that tee shirt" and knock the crap out of someone.

Try calling out the reserves see if any of those people would do your fighting for you.

You know what ? Those, people probably would. Which makes the Santos Administration's treatment of them all the worse!

I have to say your right. It's wrong to hurt these guys, but that's politics!

What, a great answer! That's politics. That shows you how wrong and sick this all is. The administration can and should do better for those serving in the reserves.

Who suggested this policy. Was it the Mayor,D Arco or the council. They could ticket the commerical parkers in Kearny every night and get up the money to pay these people.

They should also send those people who were flooded out until mangin stepped in something nice. God knows they did not do everything they should have for them.

Just politics, is no answer!

Just letting off steam

What, a great answer! That's politics. That shows you how wrong and sick this all is. The administration can and should do better for those serving in the reserves.

Who suggested this policy. Was it the Mayor,D Arco or the council. They could ticket the commerical parkers in Kearny every night and get up the money to pay these people.

They should also send those people who were flooded out until mangin stepped in something nice. God knows they did not do everything they should have for them.

Just politics, is no answer!

Just letting off steam

Why don't you people listen? The Town is broke it does not have the money to do what is right for the reservists.

If you give them twenty or so years they things will get better. That is all they ask!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived