FRANKLIN SCHOOL

Guest MOM

Today I received my child's room assignments for school. On the bottom of the letter from the school, it stated that the school is now peanut/tree nut/ and chocolate free because of allergies. When I questioned several other parents, because I tried to call the school and no one was there, they told me that they heard 2 kindergarten boys(brothers) have an allergy so for their safety, none of the 1000 other kids can bring peanut butter & jelly sandwiches to school. I do not think that this is fair. My son is in 3rd grade and all he eats for lunch is peanut butter and jelly. I looked at labels on snacks and they are also made with peanut oils. I was also told that this is just Franklin School. Are there only 2 kids in the whole town that are allergic to peanuts? What does everyone else think?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Another Mom
Today I received my child's room assignments for school.  On the bottom of the letter from the school, it stated that the school is now peanut/tree nut/ and chocolate free because of allergies.  When I questioned several other parents, because I tried to call the school and no one was there, they told me that they heard 2 kindergarten boys(brothers) have an allergy so for their safety, none of the 1000 other kids can bring peanut butter & jelly sandwiches to school.  I do not think that this is fair.  My son is in 3rd grade and all he eats for lunch is peanut butter and jelly.  I looked at labels on snacks and they are also made with peanut oils.  I was also told that this is just Franklin School.  Are there only 2 kids in the whole town that are allergic to peanuts?  What does everyone else think?

I think avoiding peanut products is a minor inconvenience to save the lives of the boys who are EXTREEMLY alergic. Your concerns are selfish. If your son was allergic to something as common as nuts I am sure you would appreciate the cooperation of the school and the other parents.

Today I received my child's room assignments for school.  On the bottom of the letter from the school, it stated that the school is now peanut/tree nut/ and chocolate free because of allergies.  When I questioned several other parents, because I tried to call the school and no one was there, they told me that they heard 2 kindergarten boys(brothers) have an allergy so for their safety, none of the 1000 other kids can bring peanut butter & jelly sandwiches to school.  I do not think that this is fair.  My son is in 3rd grade and all he eats for lunch is peanut butter and jelly.  I looked at labels on snacks and they are also made with peanut oils.  I was also told that this is just Franklin School.  Are there only 2 kids in the whole town that are allergic to peanuts?  What does everyone else think?

I think you should confirm the facts. If what you say is so, you need to protest this decision to the school board. It just doesnot not sound right as "nuts" as this board may seem, this is hard to understand.

I think avoiding peanut products is a minor inconvenience to save the lives of the boys who are EXTREEMLY alergic.  Your concerns are selfish.  If your son was allergic to something as common as nuts I am sure you would appreciate the cooperation of the school and the other parents.

Just send them to school with a note saying they can't eat nuts! This is a set up for a law suite. Hey if you can't hit the lottery one way try another. Come on people where does it stop.

I do not think it is fair at all! Why should the whole school be affected. I'm sure there are kids in Franklin school that are allergic to milk too, are they gonna ban that next? I think you should protest, if that's all your child eats (which is understandable at his age) speak with the school board. Be the biggest pain in the ass, I would.

I do not think it is fair at all!  Why should the whole school be affected.  I'm sure there are kids in Franklin school that are allergic to milk too, are they gonna ban that next?  I think you should protest, if that's all your child eats (which is understandable at his age) speak with the school board.  Be the biggest pain in the ass, I would.

Not one of the posters who protested the peanut ban is educated on the seriousness of this allergy and its effect on its victims. Dairy product and other food allergies usually cause nausea, rash and itching but only in rare cases cause death. Peanuts are much more apt to cause hallucinations, swelling of the mucous membranes and glands, coma and death.

What distinquishes peanut allergens from most others is the fact that even the fumes or faint residue left on a table or counter can trigger a lethal attack. A child who is highly sensitive to peanuts can be effected just by kissing or sitting next to someone who has eaten peanuts hours before.

I have been in the presence of a kid whose asthma was triggered by a single peanut shell on the floor of a restaurant. It was not pleasant.

For those who are hesitant to take my word on this, ask John Leadbeater.

I do not think it is fair at all!  Why should the whole school be affected.  I'm sure there are kids in Franklin school that are allergic to milk too, are they gonna ban that next?  I think you should protest, if that's all your child eats (which is understandable at his age) speak with the school board.  Be the biggest pain in the ass, I would.

Kearny is one of the few districts today that has still allowed nut and nut products in the schools. Most districts banned them in the past 10 years. A peanut/nut allergy is not like a milk allergy/lactose intolerance - you do not need to injest (eat) the nut for a reaction, just breathing in the smell of a nut can cause an allergic reaction. That reaction can be minor or as serious as death. No kidding. A couple of years ago, a student in South Orange was expelled (changed to suspension and moved to another school) for threatening his peanut allergy teacher with a Nutter Butter Bar. Sounds funny, but the room was labled and students were warned of the teacher's allergy. The kid was mad at the teacher and decided to get even. Check in the Star Ledger archives if you don't believe me.

i think its stupid why should your kid have to change his lunch because two kids are allergic. if they are allergic they shouldnt eat that stuff. their is nothing wrong with your kid eating it as long as they dont give them some or if theyare allergic. if people have allergies thats their problem not the rest of the world. your childs lunch is one of the few times they get to relax give them what they want to eat otherwise its gonna S**K. I know if my child was allergic to apples i wouldnt tell a school to keep apples out of it. that is not fair to people who like apples. Give your kid what he wants for lunch and tell the school to shove it.

i think its stupid why should your kid have to change his lunch because two kids are allergic. if they are allergic they shouldnt eat that stuff. their is nothing wrong with your kid eating it as long as they dont give them some or if theyare allergic. if people have allergies thats their problem not the rest of the world. your childs lunch is one of the few times they get to relax give them what they want to eat otherwise its gonna S**K. I know if my child was allergic to apples i wouldnt tell a school to keep apples out of it. that is not fair to people who like apples. Give your kid what he wants for lunch and tell the school to shove it.

Boy, I hope that all of the parents at Franklin school are not as heartless as you are. As stated before, peanut allergies can be lethal - that means deathly - not merely a rash or a sneeze. And one does not have to injest - that means eat - a peanut to have a reaction, simply being in the vacinity (near) peanuts can have a deadly result. There is no point in teaching your children compassion or civic responsibility, because his/her lunchtime peanut butter fix is much more important than another child's health. I can understand annoyance at this, but for heaven's sake, do your best to avoid sending peanut products into Franklin School and more onto more important issues. Find an issue for which you can win some support to complain about at a board meeting! Have a great school year!

Guest Peter Pan
I think you should confirm the facts. If what you say is so, you need to protest this decision to the school board.  It just doesnot not sound right as "nuts" as this board may seem, this is hard to understand.

The BOE started banning nuts in the school district last year when they refused to grant ******** ******.

KOTW Note: The above post was edited for content.

You are an a**!!

Boy, I hope that all of the parents at Franklin school are not as heartless as  you are.  As stated before, peanut allergies can be lethal - that means deathly - not merely a rash or a sneeze.  And one does not have to injest  - that means eat - a peanut to have a reaction, simply being in the vacinity (near)  peanuts can have a deadly result.  There is no point in teaching your children compassion or civic responsibility, because his/her lunchtime peanut butter fix is much more important than another child's health.  I can understand annoyance at this, but for heaven's sake, do your best to avoid sending peanut products into Franklin School and more onto more important issues.  Find an issue for which you can win some support to complain about at a board meeting!  Have a great school year!

Deathly? injest?

Guest TIRED OF THE IGNORANCE

:angry:

I think you should confirm the facts. If what you say is so, you need to protest this decision to the school board.  It just doesnot not sound right as "nuts" as this board may seem, this is hard to understand.

YOU PEOPLE CAN'T BE SERIOUS! PEANUTS=DEATH! WHAT PART OF DEATH DO YOU NOT COMPREHEND? First if all your child eats is PB&J for lunch every day, your lazy, nothing like a high fat, high salt, and high sugar packed lunch! Your probably the parent who doesn't make them, you buy the already wrapped The Uncrustables, since making a healthy lunch might take too much of your time. They put out a cheese sandwich in a plastic bag as well you might want to "fix" that for your child’s lunch. Or better yet how about a bag of chips and a quarter drink (that will save you money for other things like cigarettes). I feel sorry for your Pb&J eating 3rd graded, your lack of empathy for another child is teaching your child how to be self-centered instead of sympathetic. SHAME ON ALL OF YOU who cannot relate to a worried parent who sends her children to school everyday and must sit and wait for the dreaded call. You Pb&j lazy parents, oh and angry about the chocolate too, to bad, you are heartless. As a new parent I would do whatever in my power to insure every child's safety at school. Our children should be feel safe there. THAT IS WHAT COMMUNITY IS ABOUT. Your neighbors must love you! You must be the same people who kick trash on your neighbors’ lawn "cause it ain't yours". P.S. Apparently school wasn't a place for learning, some of you should spell and grammar checks! That’s what you should be more concerned with, things like humm academics. GO and fight with the BOE about books, schools supplies, and the budget some REAL issues. OMG, the ignorant worry about food bans because their not smart enough to fight about educational issues!!!! Out that in your lunch and eat it!

YOU MY DEAR WOMAN CAN'T BE SERIOUS!!! DO YOU UNDERSTAND JUST HOW DEADLY THIS ALLERGEY IS? JUST SMELLING PEANUT PRODUCTS CAN KILL!! YOU MAY BE A GREAT MOTHER, FIGHTING FOR YOUR SON TO EAT PB&J, BUT YOU ARE A MISERABLE EXCUSE FOR A HUMAN BEING THAT CARES NOTHING FOR OTHERS. YOUR ALSO AN A***OLE!

:angry::angry::angry::angry:

YOU PEOPLE CAN'T BE SERIOUS! PEANUTS=DEATH! WHAT PART OF DEATH DO YOU NOT COMPREHEND? First if all your child eats is PB&J for lunch every day, your lazy, nothing like a high fat, high salt, and high sugar packed lunch!  Your probably the parent who doesn't make them, you buy the already wrapped The Uncrustables, since making a healthy lunch might take too much of your time.  They put out a cheese sandwich in a plastic bag as well you might want to "fix" that for your child’s lunch. Or better yet how about a bag of chips and a quarter drink (that will save you money for other things like cigarettes). I feel sorry for your Pb&J eating 3rd graded, your lack of empathy for another child is teaching your child how to be self-centered instead of sympathetic.  SHAME ON ALL OF YOU who cannot relate to a worried parent who sends her children to school everyday and must sit and wait for the dreaded call.  You Pb&j lazy parents, oh and angry about the chocolate too, to bad, you are heartless.  As a new parent I would do whatever in my power to insure every child's safety at school.  Our children should be feel safe there. THAT IS WHAT COMMUNITY IS ABOUT.  Your neighbors must love you!  You must be the same people who kick trash on your neighbors’ lawn "cause it ain't yours".  P.S. Apparently school wasn't a place for learning, some of you should spell and grammar checks!  That’s what you should be more concerned with, things like humm academics.  GO and fight with the BOE about books, schools supplies, and the budget some REAL issues.  OMG, the ignorant worry about food bans because their not smart enough to fight about educational issues!!!!  Out that in your lunch and eat it!

You've got some nerve complaining about spell and grammar checks. Take a look at your own! :angry: As a new parent you've got ALOT to learn. Save the preaching for when you have some experience.

Guest Asster Rick
The BOE started banning nuts in the school district last year when they refused to grant ******** ******.

*** *** ******* ******* **** ** *** ****** ******** **** **** **** **** ******* ** ***** %%%%%%%% %%%%%%.

KOTW Note: The above post was edited for content. It was however an excellent attempt to get a point across.

Guest Just Wondering

I have a question....if I'm not mistaken they mentioned even if the child smells nuts they could have a problem, my question is what if another child has PB&J at home on lunch hour will the bother the child? I'm not being rude just asking a question

I have a question....if I'm not mistaken they mentioned even if the child smells nuts they could have a problem, my question is what if another child has PB&J at home on lunch hour will the bother the child? I'm not being rude just asking a question

Good and honest question. The answer is the school cannot and will not try to control what other children eat at home and cannot be held responsible for it. The school is however responsible for the health and welfare of every child in their care during the school day and therefore, when notified of the situation must do what it can to protect each and every child to the best of their ability.

YOU PEOPLE CAN'T BE SERIOUS! PEANUTS=DEATH! WHAT PART OF DEATH DO YOU NOT COMPREHEND? First if all your child eats is PB&J for lunch every day, your lazy, nothing like a high fat, high salt, and high sugar packed lunch!  Your probably the parent who doesn't make them, you buy the already wrapped The Uncrustables, since making a healthy lunch might take too much of your time.  They put out a cheese sandwich in a plastic bag as well you might want to "fix" that for your child’s lunch. Or better yet how about a bag of chips and a quarter drink (that will save you money for other things like cigarettes). I feel sorry for your Pb&J eating 3rd graded, your lack of empathy for another child is teaching your child how to be self-centered instead of sympathetic.  SHAME ON ALL OF YOU who cannot relate to a worried parent who sends her children to school everyday and must sit and wait for the dreaded call.  You Pb&j lazy parents, oh and angry about the chocolate too, to bad, you are heartless.  As a new parent I would do whatever in my power to insure every child's safety at school.  Our children should be feel safe there. THAT IS WHAT COMMUNITY IS ABOUT.  Your neighbors must love you!  You must be the same people who kick trash on your neighbors’ lawn "cause it ain't yours".  P.S. Apparently school wasn't a place for learning, some of you should spell and grammar checks!  That’s what you should be more concerned with, things like humm academics.  GO and fight with the BOE about books, schools supplies, and the budget some REAL issues.  OMG, the ignorant worry about food bans because their not smart enough to fight about educational issues!!!!  Out that in your lunch and eat it!

First off, my child does eat other things that are good for him. I provide a hot lunch everyday when he is home. However the school is not equipped to handle hot lunches. I have checked on different websites about this allergy. I do understand that it can be deadly, but not one school is known for banning peanut products for an entire school. Most schools have peanut free zones or tables.

Second, you are a knew mom. I'm sure you think that you have all the answers, but you don't. Parenting is an everyday learning experience and when your child is 4 years old, maybe we should talk!

Last but not least, my son has asthma and he goes to school everyday with his medication in case of an attack. What could prompt this? Roaches and dust in the schools. An asthma attack can also be fatal, but the school is prepared, as well as my son, in case an attack is brought on. I take responsiblilty for my son's health and in educating him on his condition. The parent with the 2 boys with the allergy should do the same, if she has not already.

First off, my child does eat other things that are good for him.  I provide a hot lunch everyday when he is home.  However the school is not equipped to handle hot lunches.  I have checked on different websites about this allergy.  I do understand that it can be deadly, but not one school is known for banning peanut products for an entire school.  Most schools have peanut free zones or tables.

Second, you are a knew mom.  I'm sure you think that you have all the answers, but you don't.  Parenting is an everyday learning experience and when your child is 4 years old, maybe we should talk!

Last but not least, my son has asthma and he goes to school everyday with his medication in case of an attack.  What could prompt this?  Roaches and dust in the schools.  An asthma attack can also be fatal, but the school is prepared, as well as my son, in case an attack is brought on.  I take responsiblilty for my son's health and in educating him on his condition.  The parent with the 2 boys with the allergy should do the same, if she has not already.

The difference being nobody intentionally brings roaches and dust to school. If PB&J is so important to you and your child, send him to a private school that will allow it or home school him. You will be doing the district a great service as this will also help the school's overcrowding issues.

JW

First off, my child does eat other things that are good for him.  I provide a hot lunch everyday when he is home.  However the school is not equipped to handle hot lunches.  I have checked on different websites about this allergy.  I do understand that it can be deadly, but not one school is known for banning peanut products for an entire school.  Most schools have peanut free zones or tables.

Second, you are a knew mom.  I'm sure you think that you have all the answers, but you don't.  Parenting is an everyday learning experience and when your child is 4 years old, maybe we should talk!

Last but not least, my son has asthma and he goes to school everyday with his medication in case of an attack.  What could prompt this?  Roaches and dust in the schools.  An asthma attack can also be fatal, but the school is prepared, as well as my son, in case an attack is brought on.  I take responsiblilty for my son's health and in educating him on his condition.  The parent with the 2 boys with the allergy should do the same, if she has not already.

You sound like a really good, caring mom. Let me ask you though, suppose the experts told you there was a way to eliminate the possibility of your son ever having to have an asthma attack again and the school could help. Wouldn't you expect the school to help? Wouldn't you want everyone who could possibly make it possible for your son not to have to ever use his medicine again to help? That's all these people are looking for. With the problems the people in the Gulf of Mexico are going through, don't you think helping to keep peanut products out of Franklin School is a very small favor you can do to help some children? If I could do something specific to help your family avoid the pain of an asthma attack in your son, I would most certainly do it and encourage my children to cooperate. Let's show some compassion, please.

Archived