FRANKLIN SCHOOL

Guest MOM

First off, my child does eat other things that are good for him.  I provide a hot lunch everyday when he is home.  However the school is not equipped to handle hot lunches.  I have checked on different websites about this allergy.  I do understand that it can be deadly, but not one school is known for banning peanut products for an entire school.  Most schools have peanut free zones or tables.

Second, you are a knew mom.  I'm sure you think that you have all the answers, but you don't.  Parenting is an everyday learning experience and when your child is 4 years old, maybe we should talk!

Last but not least, my son has asthma and he goes to school everyday with his medication in case of an attack.  What could prompt this?  Roaches and dust in the schools.  An asthma attack can also be fatal, but the school is prepared, as well as my son, in case an attack is brought on.  I take responsiblilty for my son's health and in educating him on his condition.  The parent with the 2 boys with the allergy should do the same, if she has not already.

How about teaching your children compassion by example? http://forums.kearnyontheweb.com/style_ima...cons/icon12.gif

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You sound like a really good, caring mom.  Let me ask you though, suppose the experts told you there was a way to eliminate the possibility of your son ever having to have an asthma attack again and the school could help.  Wouldn't you expect the school to help?  Wouldn't you want everyone who could possibly make it possible for your son not to have to ever use his medicine again to help?  That's all these people are looking for.  With the problems the people in the Gulf of Mexico are going through, don't you think helping to keep peanut products out of Franklin School is a very small favor you can do to help some children?  If I could do something specific to help your family avoid the pain of an asthma attack in your son, I would most certainly do it and encourage my children to cooperate.  Let's show some compassion, please.

I have spoken with my son. He is going to come home a few days a week and try the school lunches on the other days. I do however think that not every parent is going to commit to making Franklin School peanut free.

I understand the frustration of this parent. I worry every day about my son. But, I also think by having this parent presume the entire school is peanut free is just setting her up for a fall.

maybe these kids with special needs should be schooled elsewhere. Why should the majority of the students and parents have to accommodate the few. I have never heard of anyone having a reaction to peanuts, not to say it doesn't exist. It does seem rare but if that's the case then take some responsibility for your kid and put him or her in a sterile envirorment and that certainly isn't public school.

maybe these kids with special needs should be schooled elsewhere. Why should the majority of the students and parents have to accommodate the few. I have never heard of anyone having a reaction to peanuts, not to say it doesn't exist. It does seem rare but if that's the case then take some responsibility for your kid and put him or her in a sterile envirorment and that certainly isn't public school.

Tell that to the parents of ESL/BiLingual children, blind children, deaf children, spina bifeda children, the kid on crutches, other permanent and temporary physical conditions, the Muslim children, the Jehova's Witness's children - because special accomodations are made for all of those children.

Tell that to the parents of ESL/BiLingual children, blind children, deaf children, spina bifeda children, the kid on crutches, other permanent and temporary physical conditions, the Muslim children, the Jehova's Witness's children - because special accomodations are made for all of those children.

exactly my point, where does it stop! stop making us all pay for those with these special problems. take care of YOUR kids and send them to a private school so they get the attension they need.

Please inform us on the exceptions made for Jehova's Witness Children and muslim children?

exactly my point, where does it stop! stop making us all pay for those with these special problems. take care of YOUR kids and send them to a private school so they get the attension they need.

Next thing ya know, the midgets are going to want special attention.

What are we going to do, give them 1/2 a day off?

Please inform us on the exceptions made for Jehova's Witness Children and muslim children?

Muslim children have dietary concerns - foods they cannot eat for religious reasons - and both Muslims and JW's have holidays they cannot celebrate leaving teachers the responsibility to either ignore holidays generally celebrated in the classroom (Halloween comes to mind) or finding something equally enjoyable for the child who cannot participate. Food becomes an accomodation when class parties include food, the food has to be acceptable to the child with the dietary concerns even if it is just one! Because a child can't be punished or singled out for his religious beliefs. Entire school assemblies have been changed to include or exclude material for this reason. AND in Kearny we have very few children for whom these changes and exclusions are necessary, but they are in fact accomodated. AND for the most part it is done with a smile because every child's needs are the focus of the Kearny Public Schools and their employees..."that which you do for the least of my brothers that you do unto me"

However, it has already caused a stir among parents, according to Lisa Schlago, PTA president of Franklin School, which includes grades K through 8, and mother of four.

“I’ve had a lot of parents contacting me,” said Schlago. “I’m also concerned that we have a large bilingual population in our school. The letter came home in English. How are they going to understand?”

From the Observer Article

Doesn't biligual mean "they" understand both English and another language?

From the peanut article in the Observer by Monica Curry

“We are just trying to air on the side of caution,” said Mooney

"Air", did she really mean to write this?

However, it has already caused a stir among parents, according to Lisa Schlago, PTA president of Franklin School, which includes grades K through 8, and mother of four. 

“I’ve had a lot of parents contacting me,” said Schlago.  “I’m also concerned that we have a large bilingual population in our school.  The letter came home in English. How are they going to understand?”

From the Observer Article

Doesn't biligual mean "they" understand both English and another language?

No. Bilingual means two languages. Neither of which has to be English.

But that is a funny quote.

JW

YOU MY DEAR WOMAN CAN'T BE SERIOUS!!! DO YOU UNDERSTAND JUST HOW DEADLY THIS ALLERGEY IS? JUST SMELLING PEANUT PRODUCTS CAN KILL!! YOU MAY BE A GREAT MOTHER, FIGHTING FOR YOUR SON TO EAT PB&J, BUT YOU ARE A MISERABLE EXCUSE FOR A HUMAN BEING THAT CARES NOTHING FOR OTHERS. YOUR ALSO AN A***OLE!

:(  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

KOTW Note: The above post was edited for content.

I understand the allergies of other students are important, but I have to agree with this mother who thinks the school is going a little too far by banning peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I also know that many children are lactose intollerant, but will Franklin School ban milk if someone shows up in the school who is allergic to milk???/ These are all american school lunches that have been served for over 50 years to children in school. If my children were still grammer school age, I would fight for the right to have my child eat what they like. Its not as bad, as giving your child money for lunch, and they go out and buy candy and soda for lunch, It is much more healthy. If these are kindergarten children, I think it would be the responsibilty of the teachers or lunch aides to know who is allergic to what, and watch and maintain what their students are eating. This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, to have peanut butter and jelly sandwiches from school lunches... Parents at Franklin School, I encourage you to take it to the school board....

Guest Guest who?
I understand the allergies of other students are important, but I have to agree with this mother who thinks the school is going a little too far by banning peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.  I also know that many children are lactose intollerant, but will Franklin School ban milk if someone shows up in the school who is allergic to milk???/ These are all american school lunches that have been served for over 50 years to children in school.  If my children were still grammer school age, I would fight for the right to have my child eat what they like.  Its not as bad, as giving your child money for lunch, and they go out and  buy candy and soda for lunch, It is much more healthy.  If these are kindergarten children, I think it would be the responsibilty of the teachers or lunch aides to know who is allergic to what, and watch and maintain what their students are eating.  This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, to have peanut butter and jelly sandwiches from school lunches...  Parents at Franklin School, I encourage you to take it to the school board....

Another insensitive twit.

Another insensitive twit.

I am not incensitive, just a mother of children who grew up eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. My children were always offered alternatives, but loved peanut butter, and choose to eat this consistantly. I just feel that Franklin school has no right to stop over what, 400 students from eating peanut butter and jelly for lunch because 1 or 2 students are allergic to peanuts. This is supposed to be a free country, and we are allowed to do as we choose. Like I said previously, if a student at the school is allergic to milk, will Franklin forbide that too!!! Come on. it is utterly ridiculous, and I think the parents need to take a stand, and fight for their childrens rights. It should be up to the teachers and lunch aides to monitor those who have food allergies...

I am not incensitive, just a mother of children who grew up eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.  My children were always offered alternatives, but loved peanut butter, and choose to eat this consistantly.  I just feel that Franklin school has no right to stop over what, 400 students from eating peanut butter and jelly for lunch because 1 or 2 students are allergic to peanuts.  This is supposed to be a free country, and we are allowed to do as we choose.    Like I said previously, if a student at the school is allergic to milk, will Franklin forbide that too!!!  Come on. it is utterly ridiculous, and I think the parents need to take a stand, and fight for their childrens rights.  It should be up to the teachers and lunch aides to monitor those who have food allergies...

remember a few years ago when the board of ed told parents their kids had to eat lunch in school? wouldn't this problem be solved if these kids were allowed to eat lunch at home? just a thought.

I am not incensitive, just a mother of children who grew up eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.  My children were always offered alternatives, but loved peanut butter, and choose to eat this consistantly.  I just feel that Franklin school has no right to stop over what, 400 students from eating peanut butter and jelly for lunch because 1 or 2 students are allergic to peanuts.  This is supposed to be a free country, and we are allowed to do as we choose.    Like I said previously, if a student at the school is allergic to milk, will Franklin forbide that too!!!  Come on. it is utterly ridiculous, and I think the parents need to take a stand, and fight for their childrens rights.  It should be up to the teachers and lunch aides to monitor those who have food allergies...

If a child could, ultimately DIE FROM THE SMELL OF MILK YES, they would ban it. Think about what your saying, depite the fact that someone can die from the mere smell, I don't care, I want my child to be able to eat it anyway !! I have never heard such selfishness, I find it hard to believe that these comments are coming from adults. Think long and hard, tell the truth, If it was you child would you not want to have a ban on something that can kill your child SIMPLY BY SMELLING IT I know I would, and I would move heaven & earth to have it banned. If you say you wouldn't, your a LIAR.

As for the prior posts declaring this as an issue for special needs child(ren), give me a break, how much are you reaching to try to justify that. What your proposing is, to send these students to a "Special Needs" school because of their dietary restrictions. You are a pompous ASS.

In case you hadn't noticed, some other posters are correct. Pork, despite being a "Staple" in the "Latin American diet" is prohibited from any/all menu's (or an alternate is offered) this (pork) is a religious issue NOT ONE THAT CAN/WILL RESULT IN DEATH.

Get you lazy ASS out of bed, and make your child a bologna sandwich for school.

Not one of the posters who protested the peanut ban is educated on the seriousness of this allergy and its effect on its victims. Dairy product and other food allergies usually cause nausea, rash and itching but only in rare cases cause death. Peanuts are much more apt to cause hallucinations, swelling of the mucous membranes and glands, coma and death.

What distinquishes peanut allergens from most others is the fact that even the fumes or faint residue left on a table or counter can trigger a lethal attack. A child who is highly sensitive to peanuts can be effected just by kissing or sitting next to someone who has eaten peanuts hours before.

I have been in the presence of a kid whose asthma was triggered by a single peanut shell on the floor of a restaurant. It was not pleasant.

For those who are hesitant to take my word on this, ask John Leadbeater.

Yes I do understand that type of allergy I carry an epi pen.

Many children in school are allergic to bee stings and by the way it works the same way .

Did the Schools ban opening windows cause a bee may appear . Do those children walk around in a bubble cause taking gym class in a school yard he might get stung. No their parents send them to school with the proper medication.

If these children are so allergic (something I do know about) then maybe they should not be aloud to attend any kind of public school. Lots of the things parents use or feed there kids with have been processed in a factory where peanuts are manufactured if the children are that allergic then all parents better not buy the food they are use to buying for families without food allergies. The school better check all of the food they buy cause 90 % have something in them. Especially pre packaged and canned foods. I can not eat any of them.

If the children are not old enough to stay away from these things themselves they should not be mainstreamed.

Oh and by the way I am that allergic to peanuts and other things. I do not stop anyone from having them I avoid them and carry medication just in case.

If a child could, ultimately DIE FROM THE SMELL OF MILK YES, they would ban it. Think about what your saying, depite the fact that someone can die from the mere smell, I don't care, I want my child to be able to eat it anyway !! I have never heard such selfishness, I find it hard to believe that these comments are coming from adults. Think long and hard, tell the truth, If it was you child would you not want to have a ban on something that can kill your child SIMPLY BY SMELLING IT I know I would, and I would move heaven & earth to have it banned. If you say you wouldn't, your a LIAR.

As for the prior posts declaring this as an issue for special needs child(ren), give me a break, how much are you reaching to try to justify that. What your proposing is, to send these students to a "Special Needs" school because of their dietary restrictions. You are a pompous ASS.

In case you hadn't noticed, some other posters are correct. Pork, despite being a "Staple" in the "Latin American diet" is prohibited from any/all menu's (or an alternate is offered) this (pork) is a religious issue NOT ONE THAT CAN/WILL RESULT IN DEATH.

Get you lazy ASS out of bed, and make your child a bologna sandwich for school.

The children that brought this all about, will not die if they smell peanut butter. One of the kids isn't able to touch it. The other, from what I have been told, isn't as severe. I have done research since this all started and am not able to find one school in the entire country that has a ban like this. The kids in school are now being told they will have their lunches taken away and if a school lunch is available, they will have to eat that. What if it isn't available? Who is going to pay for this lunch? My son likes peanut butter!!! He is not bringing it because he does not want to go against the rules. He has been bringing buttered rolls or bread. But some children have no choice but to bring peanut butter because it is all their parents can afford. This has nothing to do with trying to harm another child or being to lazy to make a sandwich. It is virtually impossible and unrealistic to think that this ban can be enforced. You have children in every school in town with different issues. Some have asthma, some are allergic to things and some have emotional problems. The board of education needs to address every one of these issues not just 2 children in Franklin School.

Yes I do understand that type of allergy I carry an epi pen.

Many children in school are allergic to bee stings and by the way it works the same way .

Did the Schools ban opening windows cause a bee may appear . Do those children walk around in a bubble cause taking gym class in a school yard he might get stung. No their parents send them to school with the proper medication.

If these children are so allergic (something I do know about) then maybe they should not be aloud to attend any kind of public school. Lots of the things parents use or feed there kids with have been processed in a factory where peanuts are manufactured if the children are that allergic then all parents better not buy the food they are use to buying for families without food allergies. The school better check all of the food they buy cause 90 % have something in them. Especially pre packaged and canned foods. I can not eat any of them.

If the children are not old enough to stay away from these things themselves they should not be mainstreamed.

Oh and by the way I am that allergic to peanuts and other things. I do not stop anyone from having them I avoid them and carry medication just in case.

The word is "allowed" not "aloud". These kinds of errors really take any validity out of your argument.

The word is "allowed" not "aloud".  These kinds of errors really take any validity out of your argument.

typical response, if you can't discuss the subject matter, attack the spelling or use of a word which proves nothing other than your a total blank.

typical response, if you can't discuss the subject matter, attack the spelling or use of a word which proves nothing other than your a total blank.

No, he or she is right. I'm not involved in this argument at all but those kinds of errors DO take validity out of the argument. If the person sounds lacking in communication intelligence then you just assume a lack of intelligence in general. Even if the person lacked intelligence in general they could appear more intelligent in their argument simply by using spell check and having someone check their work for grammatical errors. There is no excuse for spelling anymore.

Archived