Bush's war czar-consider a draft!

Autonomous

Unlike the wingnuts-source:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/08/10/war...t.ap/index.html

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Frequent tours for U.S. forces in Iraq and Afghanistan have stressed the all-volunteer force and made it worth considering a return to a military draft, President Bush's new war adviser said Friday.

Army Lt. Gen. Douglas Lute is the president's war adviser. Several retired generals turned down the post.

"I think it makes sense to certainly consider it," Army Lt. Gen. Douglas Lute said in an interview with National Public Radio's "All Things Considered."

"And I can tell you, this has always been an option on the table. But ultimately, this is a policy matter between meeting the demands for the nation's security by one means or another," said Lute, who is sometimes referred to as the "Iraq war czar." It was his first interview since he was confirmed by the Senate in June.

President Nixon abolished the draft in 1973. Restoring it, Lute said, would be a "major policy shift" and Bush has made it clear that he doesn't think it's necessary.

"The president's position is that the all-volunteer military meets the needs of the country and there is no discussion of a draft. Gen. Lute made that point as well," National Security Council spokesman Gordon Johndroe said.

In the interview, Lute also said that "Today, the current means of the all-volunteer force is serving us exceptionally well."

Still, he said the repeated deployments in Iraq and Afghanistan affect not only the troops but their families, who can influence whether a service member decides to stay in the military.

"There's both a personal dimension of this, where this kind of stress plays out across dinner tables and in living room conversations within these families," he said. "And ultimately, the health of the all-volunteer force is going to rest on those sorts of personal family decisions."

The military conducted a draft during the Civil War and both world wars and between 1948 and 1973. The Selective Service System, re-established in 1980, maintains a registry of 18-year-old men.

Rep. Charles Rangel, D-New York, has called for reinstating the draft as a way to end the Iraq war.

Bush picked Lute in mid-May as a deputy national security adviser with responsibility for ensuring efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan are coordinated with policymakers in Washington. Lute, an active-duty general, was chosen after several retired generals turned down the job.

Personally I think it is an interesting idea. I don't think the public would approve though.

Guest Patriot
Unlike the wingnuts-source:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/08/10/war...t.ap/index.html

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Frequent tours for U.S. forces in Iraq and Afghanistan have stressed the all-volunteer force and made it worth considering a return to a military draft, President Bush's new war adviser said Friday.

Army Lt. Gen. Douglas Lute is the president's war adviser. Several retired generals turned down the post.

"I think it makes sense to certainly consider it," Army Lt. Gen. Douglas Lute said in an interview with National Public Radio's "All Things Considered."

"And I can tell you, this has always been an option on the table. But ultimately, this is a policy matter between meeting the demands for the nation's security by one means or another," said Lute, who is sometimes referred to as the "Iraq war czar." It was his first interview since he was confirmed by the Senate in June.

President Nixon abolished the draft in 1973. Restoring it, Lute said, would be a "major policy shift" and Bush has made it clear that he doesn't think it's necessary.

"The president's position is that the all-volunteer military meets the needs of the country and there is no discussion of a draft. Gen. Lute made that point as well," National Security Council spokesman Gordon Johndroe said.

In the interview, Lute also said that "Today, the current means of the all-volunteer force is serving us exceptionally well."

Still, he said the repeated deployments in Iraq and Afghanistan affect not only the troops but their families, who can influence whether a service member decides to stay in the military.

"There's both a personal dimension of this, where this kind of stress plays out across dinner tables and in living room conversations within these families," he said. "And ultimately, the health of the all-volunteer force is going to rest on those sorts of personal family decisions."

The military conducted a draft during the Civil War and both world wars and between 1948 and 1973. The Selective Service System, re-established in 1980, maintains a registry of 18-year-old men.

Rep. Charles Rangel, D-New York, has called for reinstating the draft as a way to end the Iraq war.

Bush picked Lute in mid-May as a deputy national security adviser with responsibility for ensuring efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan are coordinated with policymakers in Washington. Lute, an active-duty general, was chosen after several retired generals turned down the job.

Personally I think it is an interesting idea. I don't think the public would approve though.

I think it's a great idea. Mandatory military service for everyone. It would make men out of cupcakes like Strife, Bern, Matt and a few others. Maybe we can even get DingoDog to enlist to keep them company. And if Autonomous isn't too freaked out we could recall him (just don't put a gun in his hands when he's freaking). And the best thing about it is they'll all come back as Christians.

I think it's a great idea. Mandatory military service for everyone.  It would make men out of cupcakes like Strife, Bern, Matt and a few others. Maybe we can even get DingoDog to enlist to keep them company.  And if Autonomous isn't too freaked out we could recall him (just don't put a gun in his hands when he's freaking). And the best thing about it is they'll all come back as Christians.

No they won't.

Guest NOT ME

I think it's a great idea. Mandatory military service for everyone. It would make men out of cupcakes like Strife, Bern, Matt and a few others. Maybe we can even get DingoDog to enlist to keep them company. And if Autonomous isn't too freaked out we could recall him (just don't put a gun in his hands when he's freaking). And the best thing about it is they'll all come back as Christians.

:o Lets see the great matt go over and we will see if he wants to know GOD! I WOULD SAY SEND PAUL BUT HE WOULD ONLY TRY TO JOIN THE OTHER SIDE AS THEY DO NOT THINK JESUS IS GOD!!! :)

Yes, onward Christian soldiers. Just what this world needs, eh twinkie?

You may be surprised what the draftees will do when they return after their forced military service.

Guest Army Vet.

You may be surprised what the draftees will do when they return after their forced military service.

Really ? Please tell me what the draftees will do.

:D Lets see the great matt go over and we will see if he wants to know GOD! I WOULD SAY SEND PAUL BUT HE WOULD ONLY TRY TO JOIN THE OTHER SIDE AS THEY DO NOT THINK JESUS IS GOD!!! :wub:

Yeah, that makes sense. Shall we examine this statement?

1. Paul doesn't believe that Jesus is God.

2. Radical Islamic fundamentalists don't believe that Jesus is God.

Therefore, Paul's beliefs are the same as radical fundamentalists. Other than not believing in Allah. Or the Prophet. Or any of the other sacred pillars of Islam. Or the Caliphate. Or...oh, I think the point is made.

Guest 2smart4u
Yeah, that makes sense. Shall we examine this statement?

1. Paul doesn't believe that Jesus is God.

2. Radical Islamic fundamentalists don't believe that Jesus is God.

Therefore, Paul's beliefs are the same as radical fundamentalists. Other than not believing in Allah. Or the Prophet. Or any of the other sacred pillars of Islam. Or the Caliphate. Or...oh, I think the point is made.

Gobblygook.

Really ? Please tell me what the draftees will do.

You're a vet and you don't know? :o

I guess you haven't learned any lesson from Nam. Except this time it may be worse.

One of the things that hastened the end of the war in Vietnam was the changing of the draft to a lottery system in 1968. I remember this well. My number was 359. I had already been determined to be ineligible for military service, but many of my friends who had had deferments before were now worried and worked harder to end the war. Rich people like Bush and Cheney were able to use their influence to avoid the draft and the reality of combat before 1968. At that time being drafted was like being summoned for jury duty--someone once asked if anyone would want to be judged by a group of people who were too stupid to get out of jury duty. People who could would weasel their way out of service.