Will Kearny have a "Christmas Tree" this year ?

Guest Conservative Christian

The difference is at least twofold. Most of the world and much of the United States rejects Christianity as its religion. "None" is the fastest growing religious affiliation in the United States. There are wonderful things in Christianity but there are many horrid things, too. At best, the narratives about Jesus are myths; at worst, they are plainly and obviously false. People do not rise from the dead. A perfect god would have no need to send a savior to keep people from entering a hell he created. And if there was a god who sent his only son to die so that we could all be saved (from the hell he created) by believing in him, the entire world would have heard of him then, not millennia later. The fact that native peoples all over the world had never heard the story when European missionaries first encountered them is proof beyond a shadow of a doubt that the main events of the Jesus story never happened. If you look at it carefully and objectively, the story is silly. It never happened.

By contrast, we have an indisputable record of the life and works of Dr. King. We have video recordings, in stark contrast to the sparse writing about Jesus, which do not begin to appear until decades after he supposedly died. King wasn't perfect and he didn't claim to be God. So his day isn't a religious celebration. That's one difference. It's the celebration of a national hero whom whose life and works are not subject to question. We know they are real. That's another difference.

You're free to believe the Christian narrative. But don't try to force it on those of us who see it for what it is, when we all know how divisive religion can be. That's another thing that isn't open to doubt: the disastrous effects when government tries to force religion on people.

No doubt someone will be shocked at what I've written about the Christian narrative. Don't blame me. It's your story. All I did was tell the truth. And the reaction you're likely to see is another reason why theistic religion does not belong in government.

There's your answer, which is both factual and on point. Will the person whose post prompted this response be honest enough to admit she/he was wrong?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest A Proud American

Just a quick thought. If someone wants to call it a Christmas tree then go ahead. If someone wants to call it a holiday tree that's all right too. Personally, I call it a Christmas tree regardless of what others call it.

Some posters say Christians are forcing them to celebrate Christmas! This is just not true. If you choose, Dec. 25th could just be another day ignore it! I am not Jewish so while I respect their high holy days I do not wish to hijack them and twist their holiday into something more aligned with my belief system! I respect all other religions thats why i have no problem with the Menorah being displayed at the Town Hall, and I acknowledge the right of people not to believe! Why can't you who wish to distort the Holiday of Christmas do the same!!!

That's your beef? But that doesn't explain why we hear the same complaints when people say "happy holidays." The complaining goes along with the insistence that "Jesus is the reason for the season." Maybe for them it is but when they say that, and insist that people say "merry Christmas," they're trying to force their religion on the rest of us.

Besides, a tree isn't a religious symbol like a Menorah. So the comparison does not hold - unless you insist on calling it a Christmas tree or decorating it with distinctly Christian symbols like little creches hanging from the branches. If you do that, then you make it a religious symbol. If no one gets upset about it and it's just a brightly decorated tree to celebrate the holidays, then it isn't just a Christmas tree but a holiday tree. If you insist that is has to be called a Christmas tree, then you make it a religious symbol, and yes you do force it on people.

This is all about a once-dominant culture whose dominance is being challenged, in a pluralistic society, and doesn't like it.

"There's your answer, which is both factual and on point. Will the person whose post prompted this response be honest enough to admit she/he was wrong?"

So now you are trying to force your beliefs or lack there of on this poster! Isn't that what some posters on here have accused Christians of trying to do?

Guest Patriot

Just a quick thought. If someone wants to call it a Christmas tree then go ahead. If someone wants to call it a holiday tree that's all right too. Personally, I call it a Christmas tree regardless of what others call it.

This is why Kearny should call a Christmas tree a Christmas tree...........Between 73% and 80% of Americans (according to which poll you read) declare

themselves as Christian. Christmas is a nationally recognized federal holiday celebrating the birth of Christ, therefore the traditional decorated tree is referred

to as a "Christmas Tree". To call the tree a holiday tree or an atheist tree or whatever is simply wrong and is insulting to all Christians who believe in Christ.

My guess is the mayor of Kearny is Christian. My guess is also that he's too timid to stand up and be proud of his faith. My further guess is he's a spineless

wimp. Merry Christmas to all..

No one has mentioned the fact that the Town of Kearny has a nativity scene within a few feet of the holiday tree. The people who are whining that Kearny is not recognizing Christmas either haven't seen what's actually on the Town Hall lawn, or they think that Kearny should treat Christianity as the official town religion. Either way, they're wrong.

By the way, the town couldn't put up that nativity scene if it didn't also display other things, like the Menorah, the sparsely-decorated secular holiday tree, Frosty the Snowman, Santa Claus and a sign that says "Happy Holidays." So Kearny Christian and others should stop whining and start telling the truth about what's there. The way I was taught, lying isn't right. Aren't Christians supposed to know that?

Some posters say Christians are forcing them to celebrate Christmas! This is just not true.

No, it's not true but no one is saying that. What we're saying is that some people who call themselves Christians want to force their religion on us all. That doesn't mean they can force us to celebrate. But what they can do is push their religion into every nook and cranny of public life. A person can't even get elected to public office in most places in the USA without bowing and scraping to the hypocrites who say they are for religious freedom but then insist that their elected officials should all be Christian. The President can't even give a speech anymore without saying "God bless you and God bless America" at the end. When I was growing up, that was never done. Reagan started it and now the so-called religious right insists that all our Presidents do it. If these people really cared about our Constitution, they would pay attention to Article VI, paragraph 3, which clearly and unequivocally states that "no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States." These stinking hypocrites have done an end-run around the Constitution, effectively making subservience to Christianity a religious test for every public office. That doesn't mean that they can force me to vote only for Christians. But they can make sure that only Christians get elected, or even bother to run. Effectively, they've abolished that provision of the Constitution - these stinking hypocrites who say that we should return to the Framers' principles. What gall! And how dishonest.

If you're going to respond to something that someone is saying, don't distort it. Because then you're not responding at all.

This is why Kearny should call a Christmas tree a Christmas tree...........Between 73% and 80% of Americans (according to which poll you read) declare

themselves as Christian. Christmas is a nationally recognized federal holiday celebrating the birth of Christ, therefore the traditional decorated tree is referred

to as a "Christmas Tree". To call the tree a holiday tree or an atheist tree or whatever is simply wrong and is insulting to all Christians who believe in Christ.

My guess is the mayor of Kearny is Christian. My guess is also that he's too timid to stand up and be proud of his faith. My further guess is he's a spineless

You can tell by the mobs of people in the Christian churches on any given Sunday. At least 73-80 % of those who call themselves Christian couldn't be bothered to attend.

Wrong, as usual. Religion isn't up for a vote. It's an individual right, and everyone's religion is entitled to the same respect. You right wingers make a fuss over this every year. We could just enjoy the holidays, each of us celebrating them in our own way. But you have to go out of your way to try to shove your religion down everyone's throat. So naturally it ends up in a fight, because the rest of us aren't giving in to your demands. We're calling it a holiday tree because that includes everyone.

The point is, you shouldn't be demanding in the first place. You have a nativity scene at Kearny Town Hall. The mayor apparently chooses to call the tree a holiday tree. It's not because he has no spine, it's because he does have a spine and isn't afraid to stand up and do what is right even if idiots like you don't like it. And I call you an idiot because you think that calling the tree a holiday tree is insulting to Christians. It's only insulting if you think that your holiday is the only one being celebrated, or worth being celebrated. You're one doing the insulting, only you're too blind to see it and too stubborn to try to look. And if you think that respecting other people means the mayor doesn't have a spine, that says a lot about you too. Maybe that's the only way that you can see it but fortunately for us, we have a mayor who is more intelligent and more mature than that.

I've also never seen a "Christianity" church, have you?

But I have seen a Scientology "church" also founded by a Jewish philosopher - L Ron Hubbard. Is that it? You're a Scientologist?

That would explain your bizarre comments on this site.

Guest Kearny Christian

You can tell by the mobs of people in the Christian churches on any given Sunday. At least 73-80 % of those who call themselves Christian couldn't be bothered to attend.

You've been peeking into Christian churches on Sun. mornings ? Don't just peek, come in and sit down. Let the spirit of the Lord come over you.

Jon Stewart nails how ridiculous the whining is. Megyn Kelly of Fox (what a surprise) tells a young African-American girl that Santa Claus is white and she should get over it. Yep, she really says that. Link to the clips from his December 12 show.

For those insisting that there is no danger of a Lawsuit for using the term "Christmas" here is an example. "A South Carolina elementary school has canceled a Christmas toy drive because of the threat of legal action. East Point Academy in Cayce, SC, has participated in “Operation Christmas Child” for the past three years. Under the program, kids collect toys and school supplies to donate to needy children.

The charitable activity has stopped after the school received notice from the American Humanist Association that threatened legal action. The notice states that the school’s involvement in Operation Christmas Child is “unconstitutional” because of the Constitutional mandate requiring the separation of church and state".

http://www.crazytruestories.com/school-cancels-christmas-toy-drive-under-legal-threat/

Worry more about why your Police Department is at the lowest number of officers in 30+ years.

For those insisting that there is no danger of a Lawsuit for using the term "Christmas" here is an example. "A South Carolina elementary school has canceled a Christmas toy drive because of the threat of legal action. East Point Academy in Cayce, SC, has participated in “Operation Christmas Child” for the past three years. Under the program, kids collect toys and school supplies to donate to needy children.

The charitable activity has stopped after the school received notice from the American Humanist Association that threatened legal action. The notice states that the school’s involvement in Operation Christmas Child is “unconstitutional” because of the Constitutional mandate requiring the separation of church and state".

http://www.crazytruestories.com/school-cancels-christmas-toy-drive-under-legal-threat/

Worry more about why your Police Department is at the lowest number of officers in 30+ years.

Sure, because it was exclusive to one religion. Now look at the school's response. They didn't have to cancel the drive. Don't blame the AHA, when all the school had to do was reframe the drive so it didn't discriminate based on religion.

None of us ever said a governmental agency, like a school district, cannot be sued for using the term Christmas. It can be, and if it uses the term to promote Christianity, it should be sued. But all they have to do is get it through their thick skulls that a public school district is not an arm of the church. The AHA didn't tell them not to raise money for needy children. If they really cared about the kids, they would have renamed the drive and helped the kids. But no, they just wanted a vehicle to promote their religion, which is already dominant in South Carolina.

So dry those crocodile tears and give us a break.

If the school cared about the needy children, all they had to do was call the drive something else. Just leave out one word. Obviously, they decided that if they couldn't use it to show what wonderful Christians they were, they didn't think it was worth doing. These hypocrites who call themselves Christians should read Matthew, chapter 7.

So why didn't they just call it "Operation Needy Child" instead of "Operation Christmas Child"? Oh, right, if they had done that, they wouldn't be able to whine about being persecuted. Makes it kind of obvious what they really care about, doesn't it. And how much they really care about those kids.

There's more to the story than you see on the unattributed link. If you do a little digging, you find that "Operation Christmas Child" was being sponsored and promoted by an evangelical Christian organization called "Samaritan's Purse," which was using the drive to work its way into the public school to proselytize the kids. See the article in The Blaze on the story. Apparently the community had voted for an organization they wanted to help. They can't vote to use the school to promote an evangelical organization. They can conduct a needy-children drive for toys but they can't use it to promote an evangelical group, which is what they were doing. And that explains why the project was dropped when they couldn't call it a Christmas drive.

But all most of us see is this unattributed link. You can't tell where it comes from. Gee, I wonder where? The link tells only part of the truth. They leave out all the parts that don't help their case. Effectively, they're lying, because less than the whole truth is a lie.

I knew I smelled something fishy when the story referenced the American Humanist Association. The AHA is a very responsible group. It didn't make sense that they would have done anything wacky. So I checked it out, and sure enough, there's more to the story than the so-called Christians are telling us. The AHA is absolutely right. The school can have its toy drive, just don't make it a front for proselytizing the students, at least one of whom was upset enough to complain. And good for that kid and his/her family.

You've been peeking into Christian churches on Sun. mornings ? Don't just peek, come in and sit down. Let the spirit of the Lord come over you.

Sorry, I never said I peeked in - you did. I attend every Sunday. Stop lying, it's a sin. Doubt you're a Christian.

Guest God Bless You All!

So why not just call is something else? Sounds like somebody had an agenda.

Guest please stop replying to your own posts! Can you say obvious? Now who has the agenda?

Guest please stop replying to your own posts! Can you say obvious? Now who has the agenda?

An agenda is a list of things you want to accomplish. It's a good thing depending on what you use it for. Some people want to help needy kids. Some people want to promote themselves or their group. Everyone who posts here has an agenda of wanting to make a point. That's what the board is for.

Of all the posts to say this about - - - this one?

The sad part is that this individual can't seem to grasp the fact that ANYONE who doesn't choose a username is listed as "Guest", and apparently believes that all of the "Guest" posts are one person.