Move

Guest tom

To All:

I remember when Harrison was a nice, respected, blue-collar, middle-class town. Harrison was never a thing of beauty but the citizens were nice and people had a sense of community. The little league and pop warner programs were thriving and the people were proud of the town. The school system were never great but it produced it fair share of college bound athletes (Kutt/Hill/Russomano etc.) The streets were clean and people were happy. For a small Hudson County town it offered something special. In addition to the public schools, parents could elected to send their kids to OLC or Holy Cross. The police patrolled the streets and on a Friday night you could go to a local bar or football game and enjoy yourself by talking with some friendly faces. The teachers cared and the students had some school spirit. I remember traveling to Riverdale to watch the 86 varsity football team win a state championship. I did not have any family members playing but I still felt a sense of pride when those kids won that game. I did not feel that way because my son was the quarterback (i think his name was rolan or something like that) but because they were from Harrison. I guess my point is that I wish it were like the old days when we were proud of our town. Many things have changed (as the always do). I do not know what caused the downfall but things have gotten bad. I see young kids that look like gang members rooming the streets and you can't even go to a local establishment to feel like you a part of something special. I will always love Harrison but lately it is harder to feel that same love in my heart. I hope puts things in perspective but it feels good just to tell people how I feel. Thanks for listening and I would be interested in hearing some feedback. Please keep the criticism to mild attacks.

Guest Anheiser Bush
To All:

I remember when Harrison was a nice, respected, blue-collar, middle-class town. Harrison was never a thing of beauty but the citizens were nice and people had a sense of community. The little league and pop warner programs were thriving and the people were proud of the town. The school system were never great but it produced it fair share of college bound athletes (Kutt/Hill/Russomano etc.) The streets were clean and people were happy. For a small Hudson County town it offered something special. In addition to the public schools, parents could elected to send their kids to OLC or Holy Cross. The police patrolled the streets and on a Friday night you could go to a local bar or football game and enjoy yourself by talking with some friendly faces. The teachers cared and the students had some school spirit. I remember traveling to Riverdale to watch the 86 varsity football team win a state championship. I did not have any family members playing but I still felt a sense of pride when those kids won that game. I did not feel that way because my son was the quarterback (i think his name was rolan or something like that) but because they were from Harrison. I guess my point is that I wish it were like the old days when we were proud of our town. Many things have changed (as the always do). I do not know what caused the downfall but things have gotten bad. I see young kids that look like gang members rooming the streets and you can't even go to a local establishment to feel like you a part of something special. I will always love Harrison but lately it is harder to feel that same love in my heart. I hope puts things in perspective but it feels good just to tell people how I feel. Thanks for listening and I would be interested in hearing some feedback. Please keep the criticism to mild attacks.

I hope this tom, who wrote such a touching piece is TOM POWELL.////// Politics ruined this town! Get your head out of the Mayors A$$!!////Tommy, you don't feel comfortable any more, I am glad. MOVE!!!! You ignorant a$$hole. ////////

Guest ATaylor-Sheriff-Mayberry RFD
To All:

The downfall was F.E.R. leaving office and then having the nerve to die.

Guest Those were the days my friend

Yes I too remember Harrison that way and wish things could go back but I doubt that will ever happen.

Politics still corrupt our town but today people seem more greedy then they were several years ago. Now you have so many families that want a piece of the pie for themselves and their children.

Kids no longer have respect for their elders and that can be blamed on several factors:

1 - their parents lack of teaching respect

2 - parents are too busy for their own children - todays society calls for two income household - that is if the child is lucky enough to have their parents still together

3 - peoples morals have changed - it's not let me do better for myself and make my family proud, nowadays it's give me what I think I deserve and let the others be jealous - how can I milk the system

It will take a lot, possibly a miracle to restore the town to what it once once - we are now a cultural melting pot and with that comes some trouble. Not all cultures all willing to get along, sad to say but this is true.

I for one would love to see the streets the way they were, a time when you weren't afraid to walk the streets at night.

Politicians need to be elected for what they can do for the community, not what favors they will repay. For the people running for office in this town, do it becasue you want to better the community not profit from the connections you and your family will gain - this is where people have lost sight of what mayor/councilman have become!

I have lived here my whole life. Yes it has changed. Things good and bad happen. I wish it was the same as years ago. But no matter where you move trouble is happening all over. Down the shore where everybody says its so great same things are happening. Pennsy same things. And as far as drugs go ,they are out of control throughout the us. Thanks for listening.Thats how I feel. There are still alot of people I grew up with still here. And alot of memories growing up. But everything changes. No one wants to live here but they want the jobs here.

Guest In the Know

I would suggest that if you feel this way you should have the testicular fortitude to stand face to face with Tom Powell and express your thoughts to the man. But in all likelyhood,you just don't have the guts to stand up like a real man. You are just a gutless wonder like a few others. The biggest problem you have is that your whole body would fit in one of his shoes with room for him to push his foot right in your mouth. In your best day, one can only imagine what a gutless jelly fish you are . Have a good day and tell Tom that "IN THE KNOW" said hello. Now, go back and crawl into your hole with the rest of the worms.

The downfall unfortunately was Frank Rodgers stepping down... and not getting an equivilant replacement.

The town has definitely gone to shit over the last 6 years. I am moving out in 2 months thank god.

I have lived here my whole life. Yes it has changed. Things good and bad happen. I wish it was the same as years ago. But no matter where you move trouble is happening all over. Down the shore where everybody says its so great same things are happening. Pennsy same things. And as far as drugs go ,they are out of control throughout the us. Thanks for listening.Thats how I feel. There are still alot of people I grew up with still here. And alot of memories growing up. But everything changes. No one wants to live here but they want the jobs here.

That could not have been said any better. It's fine to want to move away from here, but don't think for one second that the problems won't follow you. Politicians are the same no matter where you go, drugs are everywhere, and so is crime. So go and move wherever you like, but don't forget where you came from, it's as good a place as any.

Tom Powell should dust off his midget clown suit and go back to Wringling brothers circus. He will get to travel all over the country and solve all the nations water problems and put plants on all the poles in every state.

I would suggest that if you feel this way you should have the testicular fortitude to stand face to face with Tom Powell and express your thoughts to the man. But in all likelyhood,you just don't have the guts to stand up like a real man. You are just a gutless wonder like a few others. The biggest problem you have is that your whole body would fit in one of his shoes with room for him to push his foot right in your mouth. In your best day, one can only imagine what a gutless jelly fish you are . Have a good day and tell Tom that "IN THE KNOW" said hello. Now, go back and crawl into your hole with the rest of the worms.

you have some set of balls ...calling this a guy a coward when u wont put your name up ... get a set ...LOSER!!!!

Guest BOY WONDER

;):)<_<

What is wrong with you people? When using the name of Frank Rodgers you have invoked the name of the MASTER!! Wouldn't you think that the present regime (Mayor Mc Donough, Peter Higgins) would have learned just ONE thing from being around him???? They learned "NADA'. "ZIP". and believe me it shows. They have put themselves out there just waiting for the Janizewski, Vartan, etc. boom to fall!They are sitting there saying "ha ha catch me if you can"!! Believe me F.E.R. is turning over in his grave over how little these people paid attention or learned while in his tuteledge.

Incidently, you are all fixated on Tom Powell, he is all you say he is but he is a smoke screen, you have no idea the people you are overlooking that are lining their pockets. Wake up! Open your eyes instead of your mouths, you will be surprised at the fine upstanding citizens you will see!!!

Stop knocking our police and fireman, they do the very best they can under the circumstances with what they have to work under. Most of them are a fine bunch of men given the chance to prove themselves which very rarely happens. There are a few that should be ashamed to collect their pay checks, but there are more that try very hard to please, which never seems to get acknowledged!!! :P:P:P:P

Your piece was well written and made me think of the past. You should think about writing an article for the local newspaper. I wish some the young leaders of the town read your piece and take some action. I am a former Harrison resident who (like many others) has decided to leave. I live in a small Bergen County town. Nothing special but the people are nice and are proud of where the come from. I tell people I am from Harrison and they all talk about how much they hated coming down to Hudson County to play Harrison. They did not feel threaten but rather they knew they were in for a battle. Amazingly, I have heard many comments about the 86 football team. Although many folks think Lucas was on the team, they all remeber that state championship team. My nephew was a senior on the team so I do remember how proud I was when they won. Putting aside the sport reference, I hope Harrison makes a come back. But, I do not think McDonough has what it takes to do it. You need a young inspire (yet to corrupted) leader who has a college education and a graduate degree to organize the chaos. Well, good luck to the town I once called home. Go Blue Tide and I hope that all goes well with the town I will never forget.

Your piece was well written and made me think of the past. You should think about writing an article for the local newspaper. I wish some the young leaders of the town read your piece and take some action. I am a former Harrison resident who (like many others) has decided to leave. I live in a small Bergen County town. Nothing special but the people are nice and are proud of where the come from. I tell people I am from Harrison and they all talk about how much they hated coming down to Hudson County to play Harrison. They did not feel threaten but rather they knew they were in for a battle. Amazingly, I have heard many comments about the 86 football team. Although many folks think Lucas was on the team, they all remeber that state championship team. My nephew was a senior on the team so I do remember how proud I was when they won. Putting aside the sport reference, I hope Harrison makes a come back. But, I do not think McDonough has what it takes to do it. You need a young inspire (yet to corrupted) leader who has a college education and a graduate degree to organize the chaos. Well, good luck to the town I once called home. Go Blue Tide and I hope that all goes well with the town I will never forget.

Let's start by nominating Ray Lucas for councilman,

Guest Silver Fox
:P:P<_<

Believe me F.E.R. is turning over in his grave over how little these people paid attention or learned while in his tuteledge.

With Election Day just around the corner --remember the Hudson County Motto--

When I die bury me in Hudson County so I can stay active in politics and remember --vote early and vote often :P:P:)

Guest snap out of it!

All this ideolistic nostalgia is making me want to puke. You people are acting like harrison was some sort of Utopia. Please, it has always had its problems, drugs and alchohol being the worst. I don't know about you, but I don't think producing a "few college bound athlets" cuts the mustard! How about producing AT LEAST 50% "college bound academics".

All this ideolistic nostalgia is making me want to puke. You people are acting like harrison was some sort of Utopia. Please, it has always had its problems, drugs and alchohol being the worst. I don't know about you, but I don't think producing a "few college bound athlets" cuts the mustard! How about producing AT LEAST 50% "college bound academics".

May I remind you "ABBOT DISTRICT" poor schools here. What is the average SAT score?? below 700 right!!

Why three superintendants, NY has only 1 and its has 100 schools, harrison Has only 3 schools!!!!! Just a waste of money to taxpayers.....

If I move away I will never have the opportuity to be in the company of Harrison's A list members again.I have kissed too many asses to walk away.It is My honor to go to any Local Tavern and mingle with Passaic Valley and Town Employees.It makes My day to risk My life and run across traffic to say hello to the Mayor and have Him acknowledge Me.If I had a nickel for every time I waved to a Member of the HPD.I would be rich.I would also like to mention how many Fire engines I have chased around Town.See how difficult it would be to walk away from?I am important here.I am a sheep trained to follow Harrison Elite.From the Prom Queed of the Class of 1983 to the Football Capt. of 1995.What would They do with out Me?

Is that true? Only 50 % of the greaduates going to college. If it is, there should be an investigation into what is going on with these teachers, vie-pricipals, principals, and superintendents for each school. With all this money being paid out, the rate should be like 90%. McNair Academic in Jersey City and High Tech High In North Bergen are in the high nineties. So whats the problem? Generally, kids are the same anywhere. The problem must be in the curriculum or unqualified personnel. This fact, if true, is quite an embarassment to Harrison.

Did you go to college? These are the highest rates ever in the history of Harrison of students going on to college, 77.7%. That's damn good considering most of these students come to Harrison without knowing the language.

Archived