The Jersey Journal

Guest Tuesday, April 13, 2004

Guest Tuesday, April 13, 2004

The Jersey Journal

Tuesday, April 13, 2004

Kearny's mayor, HCDO mend rift

By Nancy Benecki

Journal staff writer

KEARNY - What a difference a year makes. This time last year, Kearny Mayor Al Santos lost the backing of the county's Democrats because he was brash enough to contemplate a run for the state Senate seat in the 32nd District against incumbent Nicholas Sacco, also the mayor of North Bergen - in last June's primary.

Despite threats that he would lose the party's backing, Santos submitted his petition to run for Senate. Sure enough, the Hudson County Democratic Organization quickly announced it would not support him as the party's candidate for the mayoral primary, also held that June. Instead, the party opted to back his local political rival, Third Ward Councilman James Mangin, for the mayor's seat, as well as a rival slate of council members.

Santos pulled out of the Senate race only days after submitting his petitions to focus on the mayoral race. His slate, which ran on line E in the primary, handily defeated the Mangin slate by nearly a 2-1 margin and went on to win in the November general election.

Now, as Santos enjoys his third term as Kearny's mayor, he's announced the slate of council candidates he will endorse for this year's primary, but the tide has definitely turned. Not only will the HCDO put his candidates on its line - but Mangin, the incumbent for the Third Ward council seat, is not on that list.

"This year, the county leaders have agreed that those candidates, both council and county committee that have the endorsement of the local party - including myself and the rest of the executive board of the Kearny party - will receive the endorsement of the county party," Santos said. "I think that is the right action. It respects the decisions made by voters and the Democratic County Committee members, who are the party."

Running in the First Ward on the Santos-endorsed ticket is incumbent Jose Torres. Incumbent Laura Cifelli-Pettigrew is running in the Second Ward. The Third and Fourth ward races feature newcomers Eileen Eckel and Susan McCurrie, respectively. Each term is for two years. The ballot will also feature 60 candidates for county committee.

Mangin is running for re-election for his seat as an independent candidate. James Morejon filed a petition in the First Ward as an independent as well.

Incumbent Fourth Ward Councilman Michael Kelly did not file a petition. No Republican candidates filed petitions for any of the seats.

"I had disagreements with several county officials last year under the purview of exercising party discipline, and not only was I removed from the county line, I was placed on line E of the ballot," Santos said.

"The candidate against me was recruited, endorsed and funded by the county organization, and I objected strongly to that. Not only was I the sitting mayor, I was also the sitting municipal party chairperson who was selected by the county committee members of the town by consensus, unanimously."

County Executive Thomas DeGise said he was glad that relations between Kearny and the county had been mended. While he wouldn't go into detail about the rift that occurred, DeGise said he's looking forward to working with Santos to improve governmental services across the county.

"I'm not going to say (Santos) was ever in bad graces," DeGise said. "It was a political estrangement for a bit, but (the HCDO) is a party of inclusion. Kearny is a part of the county. Even when there were some difficulties, Al and I always had a good working relationship."

Mended fences between the HCDO and Kearny means the town's best interests will be considered in county politics and county government, according to the mayor.

"I think it's a very good sign that the county organization is being respectful of the decision made by Kearny voters," Santos said. "They realize if they want a good relationship with the town of Kearny, they can't be fighting against the leaders selected by the residents."

Guest NotSantosFan

Oh great...a love fest!!!! Wait...that will last a few weeks...Ssantos will find a reason to piss off the leadership yet again...hmmm...who's office can he run for next?????????

Guest Guest
"Mangin is running for re-election for his seat as an independent candidate. James Morejon filed a petition in the First Ward as an independent as well. "

Independents running in the primaries????????? What are these guys thinking? I thought primaries were for democrats or republicans only?

Either these two guys aren't playing with a full deck of cards, or the newspaper reporter should consider a career change.

Guest Guest 99
"Mangin is running for re-election for his seat as an independent candidate. James Morejon filed a petition in the First Ward as an independent as well. "

Independents running in the primaries????????? What are these guys thinking? I thought primaries were for democrats or republicans only?

Either these two guys aren't playing with a full deck of cards, or the newspaper reporter should consider a career change.

All petitions to run must be in before the primaries, whether D, R, or I.

To all who thought the name "King Al" rang true,

Isn't it odd that no Republicans even filed to run?? Maybe I misjudge, but regardless of which party or philosophy you prescribe to, you can't argue that the system which ENCOURAGES open debate and exchange of ideas is the best for most people. It allows informed decisions. Conversely, when your candidate slate for council is hand picked by the mayor, it implies omnipotence; an ever growing belief that King alone knows what is best for all.

So much for any exchange of ideas. Thank God we have such a wonderful and inspirational monarch. (Sorry, I forgot we actually live in a democratic republic!)

Guest Guest

No. You are the one with a few cards missing. Where does it say that Mangin is running as an Independant in the primary?

Guest Guest

The Jersey Journal

Tuesday, April 13, 2004

By Nancy Benecki

Journal staff writer

"Mangin is running for re-election for his seat as an independent candidate. James Morejon filed a petition in the First Ward as an independent as well."

Thats where it said it. Read the article again.

Guest Guest 99
The Jersey Journal

Tuesday, April 13, 2004

By Nancy Benecki

Journal staff writer

"Mangin is running for re-election for his seat as an independent candidate. James Morejon filed a petition in the First Ward as an independent as well."

Gee, I still don't see where it says he's running in the PRIMARY!!

Guest Guest
The Jersey Journal

Tuesday, April 13, 2004

By Nancy Benecki

Journal staff writer

I agree. Just shows the lack of knowledge in the process by the poster who keeps using my member name. :blink: Next time he/she should use font size 10 (or bigger) to emphasize, even more, their ignorance.

Guest Guest

The Jersey Journal reporter made an error. Jim Mangin and James Morejon are running in the Democratic Primary in June. Mangin was taken off the county line at the request of Mayor Santos. Morejon is challenging Jose Torres, the son of the Mayor's aid and President of the School Board, Mary Torres in the 1st ward.

Guest Guest 99
The Jersey Journal reporter made an error. Jim Mangin and James Morejon are running in the Democratic Primary in June. Mangin was taken off the county line at the request of Mayor Santos. Morejon is challenging Jose Torres, the son of the Mayor's aid and President of the School Board, Mary Torres in the 1st ward.

Thanks for the clarification.

Guest Guest

It’s probably going to be a very difficult race for those guys, going against the Santos Regimen. What do you all think there chances are?

I wish them luck, but can't see anyone taking down the king.

Guest Guest 99
The Jersey Journal reporter made an error.  Jim Mangin and James Morejon are running in the Democratic Primary in June.  Mangin was taken off the county line at the request of Mayor Santos. Morejon is challenging Jose Torres, the son of the Mayor's aid and President of the School Board, Mary Torres in the 1st ward.

It’s probably going to be a very difficult race for those guys, going against the Santos Regimen. What do you all think there chances are?

I wish them luck, but can't see anyone taking down the king.

Although many people support Mangin, I think he will fail in the primary. He showed his true colors last year when he abandon the town for the county money in his failed attempt to be mayor. Unfortunately, he took two good council members and a no-show third member with him. He would have been wiser to run as a true Independent in November, picking up Republican and nonaligned votes. Eileen Eckel would do well to run a clean campaign, leaving the dirty politicing to a man who is well versed in it.

The First Ward race is interesting in that we have a well connected incumbent who, on the surface, doesn't appear to be very active but has the party support, running against a new face. It will all come down to monies spent.

Susan McCurrie, running unopposed in the Fourth Ward, can only be a plus for Kearny.

The Jersey Journal

Tuesday, April 13, 2004

By Nancy Benecki

Journal staff writer

To Guest 99:

Are you saying you don't know if I'm running or not? Well, aside from using a ridiculously large font size, I don't know how to make this any clearer, than to say . . .

Yes, I am running in the June Democractic Primary!

In 2000 I was elected as an "Independent Democrat." I ran and won without Santos' or Hudson County's support (hence the term 'Independent'). That's how I've served and that's how I'll continue to serve, if the people of the Third Ward give me the chance. I don't serve at the pleasure of the Mayor, or Hudson County, or anyone else for that matter. I answer to the people of the Third Ward only. And since I've lived in the Third Ward my entire life (thanks to the 2001 re-districting) I think I know what the people of the Third Ward want.

They want a voice -- not an echo.

And so, to you Guest 99, Mayor Santos, HCDO, etc. - two words.

GAME ON

Councilman Jim Mangin

Guest Guest 99

Yes, I know you are running. The intent of my post was to show how people read into things what they want to see. The article was poorly written and some were looking for clarifications, while others were make suppositions.

If you re-read the JJ article it says, "running for re-election for his seat as an independent candidate". Not as an independent Democrat, not in the primary. "Running for re-election...as an independent candidate", to me, speaks to the November elections.

Now answer this one, if you please. Did you run for mayor with no support, or were you backed by the county organization?

Guest Guest
The Jersey Journal

Tuesday, April 13, 2004

By Nancy Benecki

Journal staff writer

To Guest 99:

Are you saying you don't know if I'm running or not? Well, aside from using a ridiculously large font size, I don't know how to make this any clearer, than to say . . .

Yes, I am running in the June Democractic Primary!

In 2000 I was elected as an "Independent Democrat." I ran and won without Santos' or Hudson County's support (hence the term 'Independent'). That's how I've served and that's how I'll continue to serve, if the people of the Third Ward give me the chance. I don't serve at the pleasure of the Mayor, or Hudson County, or anyone else for that matter. I answer to the people of the Third Ward only. And since I've lived in the Third Ward my entire life (thanks to the 2001 re-districting) I think I know what the people of the Third Ward want.

They want a voice -- not an echo.

And so, to you Guest 99, Mayor Santos, HCDO, etc. - two words.

GAME ON

Councilman Jim Mangin

Jim,

You do not serve only the Third Ward. You are making decisions and voting on issues that effect the entire town. Sorry, that little lecture just lost you a vote. As a Third Ward voter I will vote for someone who wants to represent the entire taxpayer population.

Guest Third Ward Voter

Jim,

You have my vote. The last poster must be one of Santos' followers. He/She will follow the Mayor off the cliff. I just hope that enough voters realize that the mayor is lying about the town's financial condition before it's too late. Kearny is now a distressed city just like Newark and Camden and the mayor continues to hire employees related to councilmembers. Our bond rating is terrible (but for the state distressed city backing). What a disgrace considering Santos is a full time mayor, with a full time business administrator and a full time CFO. What have they been doing at Town Hall.

We need councilmembers who ask questions and do not just follow blindly in exchange for jobs for their family and friends.

The Mayor just rehired Judge McKeon as a town attorney after firing him as the town's judge so now we have two salaries so that Councilwoman Doyle's husband could have a job to boost his pension. Santos talks a good game but he is as corrupt as they come. How does he survive on his mayor's salary? His salary is less than my property taxes.

Guest Guest
Jim,

The last poster must be one of Santos' followers. 

Actually, I might be a republican with nobody from my party to chose from so a decision needs to be made. Base on Jim's "third ward only" spiel I would rather vote for nobody if Jim wins the primary.

Sorry, just the way I feel.

Guest Jim had my vote

Don't worry Jim, you have the vote of myself, my wife, and three kids. I hope we can make up for the one your losing to the person who posted earlier.

Jim what do you think about your running mate in the first ward? Is he worth the vote of the first ward residents?

Guest 4th Ward Voter

Hi Jim

You know i live in the 4th Ward. But trust me i will be working your Ward to get you re-elected, there should be more people out there like yourself.

Guest Debate?

Why don't the candidates for the upcoming primary election hold a debate?

First Ward - Jose Torres vs. James Morejon

Third Ward - Jim Mangin vs. Eileen Eckel

I am sure our current council members can hold there own ground Torres and Mangin have been very outspoken and have many accomplishments during there time on the council, but I feel the new comers should prove themselves.

Guest Guest
I am sure our current council members can hold there own ground Torres and Mangin have been very outspoken and have many accomplishments during there time on the council...

This has to have been said tongue-in-cheek in relation to Torres.

Mayor Al and Jose

Guest Guest

Is this the same Eileen Eckels who was elected to the school board and then didn't run again, because she got her teaching degree and wanted a job. Please say it isn't so!!!! If it is, Lordie another school board connection on the council. This isn't funny anymore.

Archived