The Jersey Journal

Guest Tuesday, April 13, 2004

Guest Guest 99
Is this the same Eileen Eckels who was elected to the school board and then didn't run again, because she got her teaching degree and wanted a job. Please say it isn't so!!!! If it is, Lordie another school board connection on the council. This isn't funny anymore.

I'm not here to defend anyone, but what if it is the same person? This town doesn't exactly have a plethora of willing candidates to select from. One party can't even field a slate.

That's usually the way it is in small towns. Few people are willing to sacrifice their family time, their job(maybe overtime) for a stipend and take the BS from the always unhappy throngs.

Guest ThirdWarder

Yep...that's the same Eileen Eckel to answer the previous poster's question. Can be a real nice lady but her personality leaves much to be desired. Never smiles...never looks content. She is one more "yes, mayor" candidate. I will do whatever you want me to do!!!!!! Please...if my fellow third warders have any sense whatsoever, they will vote for Jimmy Mangin. He has been the only outspoken and gutsy member on the council of late.

Guest Guest
I am sure our current council members can hold there own ground Torres and Mangin have been very outspoken and have many accomplishments during there time on the council...

This has to have been said tongue-in-cheek in relation to Torres.

Mayor Al and Jose

Do you have a problem with Councilman Torres? He has done a fine job, since being appointed to the Council. He has a mind of his own, and always has the first ward in mind when making decisions.

Guest 1st Warder
I am sure our current council members can hold there own ground Torres and Mangin have been very outspoken and have many accomplishments during there time on the council...

This has to have been said tongue-in-cheek in relation to Torres.

Mayor Al and Jose

Do you have a problem with Councilman Torres? He has done a fine job, since being appointed to the Council. He has a mind of his own, and always has the first ward in mind when making decisions.

Who are you kidding? Torres has never said "No" to Mayor Santos. He has done a poor job of fighting for the 1st ward residents. I dare you to name one accomplishment/initiative started by Councilman Torres.

Guest Guest
Who are you kidding? Torres has never said "No" to Mayor Santos. He has done a poor job of fighting for the 1st ward residents. I dare you to name one accomplishment/initiative started by Councilman Torres.

Torrez pioneered the police sub station and because of him we have the roller blade hockey rink. He may not have said "NO" to mayor santos many times, but he has done things for the first ward and our community.

Are you trying to tell me that you’re going to vote for the other guy? Santos and his slate are doing a good job; don't mess up a good thing.

Guest Guest 99
Who are you kidding?  Torres has never said "No" to Mayor Santos.  He has done a poor job of fighting for the 1st ward residents.  I dare you to name one accomplishment/initiative started by Councilman Torres.

Torrez pioneered the police sub station and because of him we have the roller blade hockey rink. He may not have said "NO" to mayor santos many times, but he has done things for the first ward and our community.

Are you trying to tell me that you’re going to vote for the other guy? Santos and his slate are doing a good job; don't mess up a good thing.

Are you for real!! The police substation goes back to the Vartan administration, with Pete Cichino leading the way. Pete was also instrumental in the roller rink project.

I have nothing against Torres, but lets get the facts right. As I've said before, Torres appears not to be very active, but appearance can be deceiving.

Guest Guest
Who are you kidding?  Torres has never said "No" to Mayor Santos.  He has done a poor job of fighting for the 1st ward residents.  I dare you to name one accomplishment/initiative started by Councilman Torres.

I'd never vote for Torres. He's the only one who voted with Santos to screw Johhnie Cali. On a council full of yes men (and ladies) he's the yessiest! Dump him now. He's deadwood.

Guest Guest 99
As I've said before, Torres appears not to be very active, but appearance can be deceiving.

Guest 99, what does this mean?

Councilman Torres does not get actively involved in any debates at the meetings. I never hear of anything he's doing in or for the first ward or the town.

Appearances can be deceiving if he is working in the background though.

Nothing evil or accusitory meant.

Guest Guest
As I've said before, Torres appears not to be very active, but appearance can be deceiving.

Guest 99, what does this mean?

Councilman Torres does not get actively involved in any debates at the meetings. I never hear of anything he's doing in or for the first ward or the town.

Appearances can be deceiving if he is working in the background though.

Nothing evil or accusitory meant.

If he was doing anything, and I mean anything, and he is looking to be re-elected, you would be hearing about it.

Guest Guest

He was one of those chosen by the County Committee, led by the Chairman, Santos, and is the son of Santos's aide who also happens to be President of the Bd. of Education and a member of the KMUA. also appointed by Santos. Think it's safe to say he's a yes man. Full credit for the sub-station in the 1st Ward belongs to former councilmen, Ed Callaghan and Pete Cicchino. That was on the table before Vartan.

Guest Guest
Is this the same Eileen Eckels who was elected to the school board and then didn't run again, because she got her teaching degree and wanted a job. Please say it isn't so!!!!  If it is, Lordie another school board connection on the council. This isn't funny anymore.

I'm not here to defend anyone, but what if it is the same person? This town doesn't exactly have a plethora of willing candidates to select from. One party can't even field a slate.

That's usually the way it is in small towns. Few people are willing to sacrifice their family time, their job(maybe overtime) for a stipend and take the BS from the always unhappy throngs.

If residents are no longer interested in running for office (as opposed to how it used to be when elected officials were really picked on) and yet they were right out there willing to run for office), It never stopped numerous candidates from running with good old fashioned competition which is healthy for any town. The fact that no one is no longer interested, makes you wonder why, what has changed? Don't tell me they are picked on, this group hasn't seen anyting yet.

Guest Guest 99
p.s It is not usual in towns the size of Kearny and it never occurred before. why?

It may have never happened in Kearny before that one party didn't run a slate, but on numerous occasions an incumbent has run unopposed. Why? The local or county or state party could not forsee a victory, therefore would not send financial backing.

Yes, competition is good, but to have it in the future it is my opinion that the Republican party must totally revamp itself. New faces must emerge to take control and offer new candidates. Too many of their people have lost too many elections to be considered viable candidates. Not that they were bad candidates. They were just out-financed and not given the party support necessary to win.

Archived