Kearny

MystiqueI

Guest Guest

That building had three stores - left to right as you face them - Ben Franklin, Mandee, A&P (remember Junior?). A little further north (left) was John's Bargain Store.

Guest remember
That building had three stores - left to right as you face them - Ben Franklin, Mandee, A&P (remember Junior?). A little further north (left) was John's Bargain Store.

Junior? Do you mean Hector Kabajea. His first name may have been Victor and the spelling of his last name is a phoneitic guess but I remember him.

Guest Guest 99
Ben Franklin and another "super" market...safe way?

You got it. That's the way it was waaaay back when. :angry:

Was Franks restaurant the one on Kearny Ave. just south of Midland?

Guest StudiesandObservation
That building had three stores - left to right as you face them - Ben Franklin, Mandee, A&P (remember Junior?).  A little further north (left) was John's Bargain Store.

Junior? Do you mean Hector Kabajea. His first name may have been Victor and the spelling of his last name is a phoneitic guess but I remember him.

No, that would be Junior Regent he is speaking of. My dad was a close friend of his after he moved to Kearny in the 50's

Guest Radagast

If there is anyone here more ancient than me, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Ben Franklin's a Sears store once?

I remember there was a butcher shop or something across the street that had a horrible fire in the 50's. That is where the parking lot is now.

Guest Guest 99
The store on the 'other side' was ACME. They closed in the late '50s

Until you said Acme, I could have sworn it was Safeway. Ah, the cells are aleavin' one by one.

Now, I know the movie theater across from the town hall that burned down around '54-'56 was the Regent, but what was the name of the one across from the Kearny Avenue entrance to West Hudson Park??

Guest Guest 99
If there is anyone here more ancient than me, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Ben Franklin's a Sears store once?

I remember there was a butcher shop or something across the street that had a horrible fire in the 50's. That is where the parking lot is now.

I don't know about a Sears, but I do remember a diner across from the A&P. Maybe thats where the fire was?? There was also a butcher shop with REAL sawdust on the floor a door or two north of the Acme.

Guest Radagast

The butcher up the street was John's. Old Italian guy. Made his own sausage. I think he was one of the last real 'butchers' on Kearny Ave. Do you remember how good the crullers were from Moritz Bakery?

I remember that whole strip like it was yesterday. The only businesses left from the old days are Stewart's and Tietgen's. Do you remember when it was just a small store? John Sr. had a German accent and they made some of the best potato salad I've ever had. Malley's Fish store was next to it before the fire. Then Tietgen's rebuilt and expanded to it's present size.

Of course, Chicken Galore came in the 60's. It was 'Chicken Delight' back then. Up a bit was 'Teddy's' candy, newspapers etc. The same Teddy who own's Teddy's Coctail Lounge.

But I digress....

Guest Radagast

StudiesandObservations said:

>>No, that would be Junior Regent he is speaking of. My dad was a close friend of his after he moved to Kearny in the 50's <<

Sure, I remember Junior Regent. He made a living bagging and carrying groceries to people's cars at the old A&P. I always felt bad for him but his various handicaps never slowed him down and he always seemed content. He was a real inspiration if you ever started to feel sorry for yourself. A real trooper.

Guest Guest kerry
The store on the 'other side' was ACME. They closed in the late '50s

Until you said Acme, I could have sworn it was Safeway. Ah, the cells are aleavin' one by one.

Now, I know the movie theater across from the town hall that burned down around '54-'56 was the Regent, but what was the name of the one across from the Kearny Avenue entrance to West Hudson Park??

The Hudson

That building had three stores - left to right as you face them - Ben Franklin, Mandee, A&P (remember Junior?).  A little further north (left) was John's Bargain Store.

Wow...I do remember Junior. I had to think about it for a sec, but yes I do remember him. He was always willing to help everyone and would have given you the shirt off his back if you had asked him for it.

Pathmark was Two Guys?

or who remembers the old A & P where Mandee's now stands?

Yes I do. But, what stores were on either side of the A&P???

I sort of remember an electronic or appliance store, or is that what replaced the old A & P...Anyone else remember that one?