BOE INCOMPETENCE ONCE AGAIN

Guest Teachers

Guest Teachers

It is yet another sad day for the town of Kearny and the students attending the Kearny school district.

The board once again fails to make the right decisions with the Health Care for it's employees who is the dedicated back bone of the district and the towns Educators.

Switching form BC/BS to Aetna is a CLEAR statment to all Educators in the District that they simply dont care about the welfare of people who have been teaching their kids and taking on more work then ever and expecting them to continue to be dedicated to the harder then ever job they continue to do... It just simply dosen't work that way and the results of mistreatment are never for the good for all. The conditions of the High school in atrocious and the lack of fair conditions of the building is border line abuse...

There are other ways to save money besides reducing the Health care of it's employees.

Another questions arise as to where was the Union Reps at the time of this consideration..It seems like they are to busy with other frivolous activities and dropped the ball on this so important and unnecessary consideration.... This is a strike worthy battle....

All the teachers in the District...

Guest Doctor Ebeneezer

It is yet another sad day for the town of Kearny and the students attending the Kearny school district.

The board once again fails to make the right decisions with the Health Care for it's employees who is the dedicated back bone of the district and the towns Educators.

Switching form BC/BS to Aetna is a CLEAR statment to all Educators in the District that they simply dont care about the welfare of people who have been teaching their kids and taking on more work then ever and expecting them to continue to be dedicated to the harder then ever job they continue to do... It just simply dosen't work that way and the results of mistreatment are never for the good for all. The conditions of the High school in atrocious and the lack of fair conditions of the building is border line abuse...

There are other ways to save money besides reducing the Health care of it's employees.

Another questions arise as to where was the Union Reps at the time of this consideration..It seems like they are to busy with other frivolous activities and dropped the ball on this so important and unnecessary consideration.... This is a strike worthy battle....

I hope to God you're not a teacher, if so, this post would explain the horrible scores in English/language arts. Direct your concerns to Board President McDonald and her Finance Committee (Lindenfelser, Doran, McDonald) who came up with this "cost savings", because you know she is all about dollars and cents, with no regard to the employees. So much for transparency and communications.

Guest Guest

Any teacher that strikes should be arrested, charged criminally with Violatign the Taylor Act, and fired. When the Police, Fire, and other Town Employees Health Insurance was changed to NYLCare under Vartan, WE Didnt strike, we got it changed back through the Arbitration process when it was found that it wasnt equivalent to SHCB. It's about time you Teachers learn something from the actual Public Servants and DO YOUR JOBS.

Guest Guest

I hope that you are not a teacher. What you wrote is really poor. Your message maybe a good one, but the way you presented it is a real scary example of our school system in the United States.

You get an "F" in your writing skills, an "F" in your grammar skills, and an "F" in spelling.

You can help the teachers in Kearny by passing your message past a teacher who can help you before you post it. Just think, I hope there is a teacher that can help you.

Guest Guest

Any teacher that strikes should be arrested, charged criminally with Violatign the Taylor Act, and fired. When the Police, Fire, and other Town Employees Health Insurance was changed to NYLCare under Vartan, WE Didnt strike, we got it changed back through the Arbitration process when it was found that it wasnt equivalent to SHCB. It's about time you Teachers learn something from the actual Public Servants and DO YOUR JOBS.

We do do our jobs - the original poster made an impassioned statement that this would be an issue worthy of a strike. We are all well aware that it is illegal for public school teachers to strike and there will not be a strike over this issue. Hopefully, the right people have gotten the word and will rethink the decision to change health care providers.

Guest Cry Babies

What you fail to understand is the BOE is your employer. The employer by contract must supply you with health benefits. If the BOE wants to change providers they are perfectly within their right to do it. My insurance renews each year in January. Last December I received a letter from my employer telling me that effective January 1 my provider was changing, my benefits were staying the same, BUT, I may need to find a new physician. That was it, no warning. My new cards showed up at the end of December and life went on, no crying, no choice, but I still had benefits. Now, will some teachers be inconvienenced, possibly have to find a new doctor.......yes, but you will still have benefits. Will this save a couple hundred thousand dollars, probably, better than laying off teachers.

Guest Queen, Court & Jester

I hope to God you're not a teacher, if so, this post would explain the horrible scores in English/language arts. Direct your concerns to Board President McDonald and her Finance Committee (Lindenfelser, Doran, McDonald) who came up with this "cost savings", because you know she is all about dollars and cents, with no regard to the employees. So much for transparency and communications.

Careful what you wish for............you might just get it !!!!!!

Guest StopTheFab4

Did anyone stop and think that this whole fiasco was actually caused by the dopey superintendent and not the business administrator? The super is a puppet of the Fab4 and was given his marching orders. With an alleged $2 million deficit this year, how else could you explain the superintendents rationale for proposing a Mater Dei-Lincoln middle school plan without any plan for paying for it? The district has no money but he wants to spend millions on this ill conceivedd plan. It's a shame that it has to be done at the teachers expense. O'Malley's hand is so far up the supers backside, he should be a ventriloquist.

Guest Guest

I hope that you are not a teacher. What you wrote is really poor. Your message maybe a good one, but the way you presented it is a real scary example of our school system in the United States.

You get an "F" in your writing skills, an "F" in your grammar skills, and an "F" in spelling.

You can help the teachers in Kearny by passing your message past a teacher who can help you before you post it. Just think, I hope there is a teacher that can help you.

You criticizing another person's writng skills is what's scary.

Guest Guest

The KEA president and vice president should have been voted out after they pushed through the last contract which directly benefited their salaries and left others without raises.

Guest Four Mouth Pieces

We do do our jobs - the original poster made an impassioned statement that this would be an issue worthy of a strike. We are all well aware that it is illegal for public school teachers to strike and there will not be a strike over this issue. Hopefully, the right people have gotten the word and will rethink the decision to change health care providers.

Oh yeah, and who would the "right people" be? The same ones who decided to make the change?

Guest Snow White

Did anyone stop and think that this whole fiasco was actually caused by the dopey superintendent and not the business administrator? The super is a puppet of the Fab4 and was given his marching orders. With an alleged $2 million deficit this year, how else could you explain the superintendents rationale for proposing a Mater Dei-Lincoln middle school plan without any plan for paying for it? The district has no money but he wants to spend millions on this ill conceivedd plan. It's a shame that it has to be done at the teachers expense. O'Malley's hand is so far up the supers backside, he should be a ventriloquist.

Sounds like somebody is in damage control !!!! All you supporters of Mc Donald, Lindenfelser and Doran enjoy what you'll get. It didn't take long before they stuck it in your backside. Let's breakdown the idiotic statements made above:

1- "Fiasco caused by the Super", not even close. This was put in motion by the Finance Committee and Recommended by the Finance Committee. (McDonald, Lindenfelser, Doran & Esteves) Nobody else, don't try to pin this on the Super who, because he was not "your friend" that was hired or should I say the person who was going to be the one who would do whatever you wanted them to do. This guy has not been given a fair shake from day one. He is an outsider, with no connections or politically motivated and the puppets hate it !!! Especially the board President, who thinks she is the Superintendent.

2- Here is where you should stop, take a deep breath and not let your emotions take over before you type........you're all over the place and nothing makes sense, but why should it, typical BOE BS. Ok, so now the Fab5 has become the Fab4, still better than the Foolish4 that have been crying for months and making a mess of things because they "CAN'T" have their way. Grow up, make your statement and move on, stop the Hollywood Drama. The Super doesn't take "marching orders" from ANYBODY, and there is the problem......not even YOU. I am really confused here, "with a $2 million deficit this year............" I don't understand that entire statement or what point is being made.

3- "Spending millions on this plan.........." What plan? I heard there was a discussion with administrators about the St. Stephen's School, but there was no mention of costs. That was going to be the next step. But as usual you start a RUMOR that it is going to cost millions and at TEACHERS expense. The only thing done at TEACHERS expense, (and entire staff) is that the Foolish4 decided to save money by changing health care for our employees, without them knowing and with NO regard to how it will effect them. Keep feeding them the Kool-aid.

4- Last statement.......very strange, take a shot at Omalley. Has absolutely nothing to do with anything else you wrote, just take a shot cause you can. He knows the Super no more, no less than any other Board member. You make mention of a ventriloquist, funny, all these years of being a puppet and now the most upsetting thing to you is that you're NOT PULLING THE STRINGS. Take your meds, you will feel better.

Guest Guest

Like refusing to write College letters for seniors when you dont have contracts????? So much for "It's all about the Children"

Guest Guest

There are several reasons why the BOE should not go forward with Aetna if the complaints about Aetna are true:

1. this is now a combination of taxpayer and employee money paying for these benefits: why would anyone want to buy a substandard product just to save a minimal amount of money?
  2. our district keeps claiming it wants to attract great teachers: with substandard health insurance?
  3. currently many district employees are utilizing local doctors, "First Cares," clinics, and testing sights, hospitals all covered by our current insurance plan: if not covered by Aetna, employees will have to go elsewhere to find doctors in the plan. This is a very real and serious issue - many, including myself, have questioned our health care providers for ourselves and our families, and have found that few good doctors in our area accept Aetna - in my case only one of the three primary physicians that my family sees will accept Aetna.

While I am grateful that I don't, many district employees either themselves or family members that have serious, ongoing, and debilitating health issues. To force these someone with sick children or spouses, or they themselves to seek new physicians to treat an ongoing condition is unnecessarily cruel. The fact that the BOE (and we employees by virtue of our percentage contributions) would save a minimal amount of money by changing to a plan that appears to have a poor reputation in New Jersey, just doesn't seem to be worth the costs in the long run.

Guest Guest

What you fail to understand is the BOE is your employer. The employer by contract must supply you with health benefits. If the BOE wants to change providers they are perfectly within their right to do it. My insurance renews each year in January. Last December I received a letter from my employer telling me that effective January 1 my provider was changing, my benefits were staying the same, BUT, I may need to find a new physician. That was it, no warning. My new cards showed up at the end of December and life went on, no crying, no choice, but I still had benefits. Now, will some teachers be inconvienenced, possibly have to find a new doctor.......yes, but you will still have benefits. Will this save a couple hundred thousand dollars, probably, better than laying off teachers.

That's fine as long as the new health benefits are at least equal to the old plan. As stated in the contract. Quite honestly I wouldn't trust this BOE or the previous one with that decision.

I also wouldn't believe them when they tell you it will save money.

Guest Guest

Like refusing to write College letters for seniors when you dont have contracts????? So much for "It's all about the Children"

Can you please tell me when this actually happened? I know it was threatened, but never came to pass.

Guest Marcus Welby MD

There are several reasons why the BOE should not go forward with Aetna if the complaints about Aetna are true:

1. this is now a combination of taxpayer and employee money paying for these benefits: why would anyone want to buy a substandard product just to save a minimal amount of money?
  2. our district keeps claiming it wants to attract great teachers: with substandard health insurance?
  3. currently many district employees are utilizing local doctors, "First Cares," clinics, and testing sights, hospitals all covered by our current insurance plan: if not covered by Aetna, employees will have to go elsewhere to find doctors in the plan. This is a very real and serious issue - many, including myself, have questioned our health care providers for ourselves and our families, and have found that few good doctors in our area accept Aetna - in my case only one of the three primary physicians that my family sees will accept Aetna.

While I am grateful that I don't, many district employees either themselves or family members that have serious, ongoing, and debilitating health issues. To force these someone with sick children or spouses, or they themselves to seek new physicians to treat an ongoing condition is unnecessarily cruel. The fact that the BOE (and we employees by virtue of our percentage contributions) would save a minimal amount of money by changing to a plan that appears to have a poor reputation in New Jersey, just doesn't seem to be worth the costs in the long run.

#1 - It has always been taxpayer money paying these benefits.

#2 - Few good doctors in our area accept Aetna? A Doctors training and skill are determined by what health insurance he takes???

How about I've found few good teachers in Kearny based on where they went to college.

Guest Black Cloud

Sounds like somebody is in damage control !!!! All you supporters of Mc Donald, Lindenfelser and Doran enjoy what you'll get. It didn't take long before they stuck it in your backside. Let's breakdown the idiotic statements made above:

1- "Fiasco caused by the Super", not even close. This was put in motion by the Finance Committee and Recommended by the Finance Committee. (McDonald, Lindenfelser, Doran & Esteves) Nobody else, don't try to pin this on the Super who, because he was not "your friend" that was hired or should I say the person who was going to be the one who would do whatever you wanted them to do. This guy has not been given a fair shake from day one. He is an outsider, with no connections or politically motivated and the puppets hate it !!! Especially the board President, who thinks she is the Superintendent.

2- Here is where you should stop, take a deep breath and not let your emotions take over before you type........you're all over the place and nothing makes sense, but why should it, typical BOE BS. Ok, so now the Fab5 has become the Fab4, still better than the Foolish4 that have been crying for months and making a mess of things because they "CAN'T" have their way. Grow up, make your statement and move on, stop the Hollywood Drama. The Super doesn't take "marching orders" from ANYBODY, and there is the problem......not even YOU. I am really confused here, "with a $2 million deficit this year............" I don't understand that entire statement or what point is being made.

3- "Spending millions on this plan.........." What plan? I heard there was a discussion with administrators about the St. Stephen's School, but there was no mention of costs. That was going to be the next step. But as usual you start a RUMOR that it is going to cost millions and at TEACHERS expense. The only thing done at TEACHERS expense, (and entire staff) is that the Foolish4 decided to save money by changing health care for our employees, without them knowing and with NO regard to how it will effect them. Keep feeding them the Kool-aid.

4- Last statement.......very strange, take a shot at Omalley. Has absolutely nothing to do with anything else you wrote, just take a shot cause you can. He knows the Super no more, no less than any other Board member. You make mention of a ventriloquist, funny, all these years of being a puppet and now the most upsetting thing to you is that you're NOT PULLING THE STRINGS. Take your meds, you will feel better.

Really, ******? Still fighting *****'s battles for him? Better prepare to be busy this election season. The Fab4 did a lot of damage that will take years to correct. Your brother has a lot to explain to the Kearny voters especially when those voters become aware of the cost for the high school fiasco he helped orchestrate. The truth will come out.

Edited by KOTW
Content.

Guest Guest

Much appreciation to the respect given to the employees of the Kearny Board of Education last night. We felt respected, heard, and considered in the decision. Many thanks to all who showed up to give testimony, give support, and give the votes to rescind the change in health care provider. Today will be a good day! :)

Guest Hard Working Taxpayer

As a hard working taxpayer in town I am disgusted with the results. All the teachers in this town( Half dont even live here) and many others feel they are "intitled" to more money and benefits at the cost of the taxpayer.

We cannot afford this anymore!

When the rest of the state was making cuts for the past several years, Kearny kept giving their teachers raises. I now pay $14,000+ a year in taxes and have a crappy school system thats killing my home value. The NJ test scores show that our teachers and administration are failing to do their jobs.

Shame on you Board members that had the opportunity to save $250,000 of hard earned taxpayer dollars. Its obvious that the Board members that voted for this are not there for the taxpayers best interest. It looks like they are there to make friends and family rich.

What happened to the $4,000,000 in debt the school district is facing, and possible lay offs of 60+ teachers. Im guessing the board is going to make the taxpayer cough up the $4 mil and still have teachers that cant teach, as our kids fail the state testing year after year.

From what I read and heard at your meeting 87% of the teachers didnt have to switch doctors, and the plan was the same if not better than what they already have. So why not save money and jobs? I hope 60+ of you teachers have another job lined up when all of us taxpayers vote down your tax levy to save you.

Guest Kearny Krooks

Really, ******? Still fighting *****'s battles for him? Better prepare to be busy this election season. The Fab4 did a lot of damage that will take years to correct. Your brother has a lot to explain to the Kearny voters especially when those voters become aware of the cost for the high school fiasco he helped orchestrate. The truth will come out.

The truth never comes out, you're nothing but full of $hit all the time. The best days are ahead when the REAL truth comes out and the State Police show up with a bus to pick up all you criminals, past and present. Then you will watch the real fiasco honey !

Guest Guest

Do you realize that the savings of $245,000 would only be true if every employee kept the plan they were currently in? Many, many teachers have opted for the less expensive (to both themselves and the district) Direct Access plan because their doctors participate. If the DO users switch to Aetna's traditional plan, it would cost the district over $2,000,000.

The cost for BC/BS was built into the most recent budget which fell within the 2% cap, so the decision (a wise one) to keep the better plan made a lot of sense.

The idea that our BOE and teachers' union are talking and negotiating is problem for you. Most of the problems in our school system began when vindictive people with axes to grind got themselves elected to the BOE. The fact that two groups can come together and discuss in a mature, intelligent way and come away with a decision that made sense to everyone involved, shows that things are looking forward in our district.

BTW - Ms. Lindenfelser did a great job explaining the process to all of us (about how the proposal for change came about) if things had proceeded to change, I would have felt much less confused and upset knowing the process. Thanks, Ms. Lindenfelser and the rest of the board who came to the table to talk and listen - a refreshing change from the past few years. :)

Guest Guest

As a hard working taxpayer in town I am disgusted with the results. All the teachers in this town( Half dont even live here) and many others feel they are "intitled" to more money and benefits at the cost of the taxpayer.

We cannot afford this anymore!

When the rest of the state was making cuts for the past several years, Kearny kept giving their teachers raises. I now pay $14,000+ a year in taxes and have a crappy school system thats killing my home value. The NJ test scores show that our teachers and administration are failing to do their jobs.

Shame on you Board members that had the opportunity to save $250,000 of hard earned taxpayer dollars. Its obvious that the Board members that voted for this are not there for the taxpayers best interest. It looks like they are there to make friends and family rich.

What happened to the $4,000,000 in debt the school district is facing, and possible lay offs of 60+ teachers. Im guessing the board is going to make the taxpayer cough up the $4 mil and still have teachers that cant teach, as our kids fail the state testing year after year.

From what I read and heard at your meeting 87% of the teachers didnt have to switch doctors, and the plan was the same if not better than what they already have. So why not save money and jobs? I hope 60+ of you teachers have another job lined up when all of us taxpayers vote down your tax levy to save you.

Teachers pay taxes too you moron.