Kearny crime

Guest Davies

Guest Davies

How come the jersey journal never has any crimes that happen in Kearny an barely ever in the observer. My boy told me two carjackings yesterday at gunpoint.

Guest Guest Who?

How come the jersey journal never has any crimes that happen in Kearny an barely ever in the observer. My boy told me two carjackings yesterday at gunpoint.

What kind of cars did your boy take?

Guest guest

I heard that too. I dont know any kearny cops, but my friend is a sheriff and said there were a couple of car jackings in kearny at gun point. Why the hell do we have to get our info 2nd and 3rd hand all the time in kearny. Does the town and police department hide it so people don't think there is crime in kearny? or do we have a crummy newspaper that doesn't call daily for the police blotter. The observer should learn people love reading about stuff like that, good or bad, people will read the paper. I know i love cop shows and stuff, and once every month or so we read about arrests made in town or nutley sometimes. It should be every week. Does the observer have an email or something we can ask them to do this? they have to know car jackings in kearny is huge news.

Hopefully an actual cop can give us some info on what happened, because even know the guy is a sheriffs officer i still never know whats rumor and whats real.

Guest Guest

Kearny is so great on stopping crime, mostly by KPDPipes and KPDBlue, that most hardened criminals are afraid of trouble. As to the firs, Jus Sayin has them on the run. They just pay their $300 to $455 a month each and the trouble remains at bay.

Guest dslfreak

I heard that too. I dont know any kearny cops, but my friend is a sheriff and said there were a couple of car jackings in kearny at gun point. Why the hell do we have to get our info 2nd and 3rd hand all the time in kearny. Does the town and police department hide it so people don't think there is crime in kearny? or do we have a crummy newspaper that doesn't call daily for the police blotter. The observer should learn people love reading about stuff like that, good or bad, people will read the paper. I know i love cop shows and stuff, and once every month or so we read about arrests made in town or nutley sometimes. It should be every week. Does the observer have an email or something we can ask them to do this? they have to know car jackings in kearny is huge news.

Hopefully an actual cop can give us some info on what happened, because even know the guy is a sheriffs officer i still never know whats rumor and whats real.

The Rash of crime in Kearny has skyrocketed, only to be told you have to wait and if anything you had shows up at a pawn shop that the cops may or may not be watching they can catch anyone.

I have my apartment broken into June 23rd, Jeep stolen June 24th (they came back that night later (I was out of town)) and then they crashed the Jeep into a house. Crime in Kearny is getting worse and worse and I wish they had some of these traffic lights on the Ave. Now my jeep is in the shop and I have no TV amongst everything else taken.

Guest Smity

Nothing in the observer about any car jackings. Lol how does the town newspaper not have anything about crimes like that when people on the message board seem to have information on them. Does the oberver actually do any reporting at all????

Kearny is really going down the tubes. I deliver at night and I barely even see any cop cars at night although as soon as I hit the pike I see north Arlington cops always with a car pulled over( me being one of them unfortunately lol) but atleast you see them driving around, where the hell are our guys? It's like we have a 9-5 police department. Maybe I'm wrong and they just have a lot of those cars without the decals at night. Doesn't really have a safe feel to the town once the sun goes down.

Guest Guest

I have observed the Kearny Police for years and my opinion is that they do a fantastic job day and night considering the amount of manpower on the streets as determined NOT by the Police Chief but by the out of touch politicians. The only 2 Cops that seem negative are KPDBlue and KPDPipes who in my opinion are fascinated by the Firemen for some irrational reason and have profession remorse. I would never ride in a Cop car with one of these fire buffs to back me up as thats what these two guys are, back-up personnel. The Harrison Police get along great internally. The Harrison Fire Dept. is in turmoil because of lack of O.T. and medical payment disbelief because it blasted their egos. The Fire Chief who was the King who they worshipped when they were getting the O.T but now is retired and as they see he never really cared about anybody, Residents or subordinates, who it took 33 years to figure out. He was always, hour after hour, MEFIRST. The Harrison Police have been treated like dirt for the last 16 years by the Harrison Town Administration but do an amazing job despite daily abuse which creates in my mind "0" morale;

Great job to the Police of both towns and I hope someone in charge finally opens their eyes and see who the towns defense, or army, is to protect the residents not to be treated as trash.

Guest guest

I've made multiple calls to the police about my neighbor doing (and possibly selling) drugs. The smells, the visitors at all hours. No arrests. They still continue to live there.

Good thing they put those traffic cameras at Elm and Seeley, though, because that corner is a hotbed for crime.

Guest guest

I've made multiple calls to the police about my neighbor doing (and possibly selling) drugs. The smells, the visitors at all hours. No arrests. They still continue to live there.

Good thing they put those traffic cameras at Elm and Seeley, though, because that corner is a hotbed for crime.

Wait a minute, you mean with all your training and experience watching law and order and CSI Miami, the Kearny Police ignored your expert account of things going on?

two questions

1) How do you know the house isn't being watched and currently under investigation.

2) Do you expect the police to break all the us laws and just barge into the guys house to maybe lock the guy up with Pot? Sounds like a waste of time to me.

Guest Guest

Point is Crime is getting worse and worse and it has steadily crept north from E Newark/Harrison area. Maybe the generation of parents S**K at parenting, or worse and worse people keep moving in.

Guest chris

Well, it is likely crime has gone up in Kearny overall due to a few factors:

1) The housing crash has taken down retail property so there are more empty storefronts all over town. But Kearny is not alone. I was raised in Kearny andlive in Astoria. The greatest rachsh of crimes have been on a commercial street where the storefronts have trouble keeping tenants - some being unused for over a year or two.

So, what happens and you can see it on the corner of Belleville and Kearny Ave is they divide up the storefront property into smaller units creating more density. Which MAY produce an environemtn for more crimes. I do think it ios a little distressing to see a pawn shop near the corner of Belleville and Kearny.

2) The improvement of portions of Newark (for example certain areas of Springfield Ave and portions of the North Ward) has reduced crime BUT also may have moved certain gans into what seems easier targets - right now there is data showing the Latin Kings are aggressively recruiting in Kearny, North Arlington and Belleville.

3) From visiting Kearny over the years I do note the lack of police presence.

Finally the recent shooting of a business owner near the Town Hall a few weeks ago should be an alarm that the community has to increase its vigilance and let the town government know it won't stand for this and see what it can do to assist in the reduction of crime.

In closing, I would not say Kearny is a cesspool. Some of the spots mentioned have had higher crime over the decades - the area on Elm Street around Matsons bar and heading to Schuyler always had a little more crime. Partly as you could easily escape into the Meadows from there with side streets. The area below Bergen Street has historically had higher crime due to higher drug use - as far back as the 80's. The positives though are new businesses are still opening and attracted to Kearny for its stability and for this area of Northeastern NJ, low crime. I'd hate to see my hometown go downhill as I think it has much going for it to have a stable and prosperous future but yes I do worry when I see a pawn shop open up and the property where the Lincoln Theatre is housed desparately needing a major renovation.

PS. What I'd like to see aside from improving the incubation of new business and more vigilance about crime, is greater involvement in greening the town. I am happy with the improvements of the parks over the years but I hope the town can continue this path in the face of difficult economic times.

Guest Guest

In my opinion, somebody should try and tell the truth for once. I know that KPDBlue and KPDPipes state that there is no crime in Kearny and that fires of monumental proportions are reuducing the town to rubble, but it's a lie. Kearny needs more cops, but the Administration says they have no money despite the new hiring, overtime that is rampant, and unnecessary promotions at the fire dept. These promotions are not cheap. We are talking about $10,000.00 to $20,000.00 a year each and I even heard that the town is starting a fund to take a portion of the property taxes collected and set it aside to make the Firemens payments to the state for their medical benefits in addition to what the FF are taking home already. Only one ot two live in Kearny for Christs sake. What the heck is the Mayor are the Mayor and Council doing?

Guest KPDPipes

In my opinion, somebody should try and tell the truth for once. I know that KPDBlue and KPDPipes state that there is no crime in Kearny and that fires of monumental proportions are reuducing the town to rubble, but it's a lie. Kearny needs more cops, but the Administration says they have no money despite the new hiring, overtime that is rampant, and unnecessary promotions at the fire dept. These promotions are not cheap. We are talking about $10,000.00 to $20,000.00 a year each and I even heard that the town is starting a fund to take a portion of the property taxes collected and set it aside to make the Firemens payments to the state for their medical benefits in addition to what the FF are taking home already. Only one ot two live in Kearny for Christs sake. What the heck is the Mayor are the Mayor and Council doing?

What an incredible pack of Lies..I have never EVER said Anything of the sort, neither has Blue..in fact I believe BOTH of us have warned that the PD is going to be very short-handed by the end of next year, as there is a very large group of people of all ranks that are set to retire. I dont know what "Overtime" you are talking about, since part of the agreement that kept us from Losing people was to go to Compensatory time rather than overtime. The only "Overtime" anyone at the PD is recieving is from Court Appearances, or through grant programs from the state, or from Contractors who pay the Town to cover those costs. Either way The sky is Blue, the weather is Hot, and You, whoever you are, are still the same Gutless coward as always. So I challenge you, PLEASE SHOW EVERYONE Where I have ever said that there is no crime in town.

Guest smitty

What an incredible pack of Lies..I have never EVER said Anything of the sort, neither has Blue..in fact I believe BOTH of us have warned that the PD is going to be very short-handed by the end of next year, as there is a very large group of people of all ranks that are set to retire. I dont know what "Overtime" you are talking about, since part of the agreement that kept us from Losing people was to go to Compensatory time rather than overtime. The only "Overtime" anyone at the PD is recieving is from Court Appearances, or through grant programs from the state, or from Contractors who pay the Town to cover those costs. Either way The sky is Blue, the weather is Hot, and You, whoever you are, are still the same Gutless coward as always. So I challenge you, PLEASE SHOW EVERYONE Where I have ever said that there is no crime in town.

I have been reading this site for as long as i can remember and while i dont agree with everything pipes says, i agree with him here, i never heard him say anything like that. My one argument would be i work in jersey city and take the train to work and i barely ever see any cops there either, so i can't really blame kearny. that being said, last year, the mayor, some council people and the police chief said there would be NO reduction in police service with layoffs. So how do you expect us to believe you pipes? I can see the mayor lying his ass off, but im sure the chief knows what he needs to run the department.

Guest GUEST

.....and I NEVER said that the POLICE were getting any overtime, I said it was my opinion that the Fire Department was getting it. The Lord himself could not have the power to authoriize overtime for a COP in Kearny or Harrison, but other departments are walking around with O.T. money like it's growing on trees. The Cops should refuse these COMP time proposals anyway because it is UNION BUSTING tactics used by the town as long as I can remember in West Hudson. I don't know of any others towns in NJ accepting COMP time instead of O.T. except West Hudson. The town is subverting the contract with that seemingly effective method of subversive underhanded COMP time. O.T. or NO WORK, let the politicians make up their mind. When was the last time anyone in an administrative, by that I mean Mayor, Council, B.O.E., and others ever taken COMP time. It's green only or no can do at those positions, cash ONLY. They seem to be exempt to comp time but authorizing the cash is no problem. The judges are balking at paying more than 1.5% medical, but they are all for some Police Officer working a very dangerous job to pay it. The Police Unions should use the same hard line as the politicians, they need the Cops more than the Cops need them. I've been on your side the whole time but all you seem to do is want more for the firemen instead of the guys in blue. You are wearing the wrong color Pal.

Guest Gold Badge

.....and I NEVER said that the POLICE were getting any overtime, I said it was my opinion that the Fire Department was getting it. The Lord himself could not have the power to authoriize overtime for a COP in Kearny or Harrison, but other departments are walking around with O.T. money like it's growing on trees. The Cops should refuse these COMP time proposals anyway because it is UNION BUSTING tactics used by the town as long as I can remember in West Hudson. I don't know of any others towns in NJ accepting COMP time instead of O.T. except West Hudson. The town is subverting the contract with that seemingly effective method of subversive underhanded COMP time. O.T. or NO WORK, let the politicians make up their mind. When was the last time anyone in an administrative, by that I mean Mayor, Council, B.O.E., and others ever taken COMP time. It's green only or no can do at those positions, cash ONLY. They seem to be exempt to comp time but authorizing the cash is no problem. The judges are balking at paying more than 1.5% medical, but they are all for some Police Officer working a very dangerous job to pay it. The Police Unions should use the same hard line as the politicians, they need the Cops more than the Cops need them. I've been on your side the whole time but all you seem to do is want more for the firemen instead of the guys in blue. You are wearing the wrong color Pal.

Poor, poor Barney. With no OT you're going to have to sell the new beamer you paid cash for.

Guest kpdpipes

Again with the Lies..Ok..let's keep Playing, POST ONE QUOTE from me that does what you alledge. I've been wearing this color for 24 years. We accepted the Comp time to KEEP JOBS period...it was Cop time, plus the other concessions, or have 15 kids unemployed.

To answer the other poster before yours, Smitty, I am speaking of retirements not layoffs, there is a LARGE percentage of the Dept that either is elligbile to retire now, or will come elligible in 2012, and a Significant portion of those officers Will, in fact be going, with no plans on the part of the Administration to replace them. Also, I was there when the Chief made the statement you refer to, he SAID there would be no reduction in Police Protection, and Public SAFETY. With less people however services WILL be affected, and not for the better. Bodies have to come from somewhere, and to maintain the street presence, well YOU do the math. There are a lot of services the PD provides that are taken for granted, until manpower makes them untenable... as was found out During the Vartan Administration when the Department was attrited down below 99 Officers.

As KPDPipes has stated Comp time was accepted by both the KPD and KFD to save jobs, for the FD the number was 15 INITIALLY meaning that more were to follow.

Now I'll repeat this once again, not one member of the KFD recieves ANY overtime from the Chief of the Dept. right down the ranks and as per the agreement with the Town there will be no paid reimbursments for comp time nor will comp time owed be allowed to carry over past May 31 2012.

Now go ahead and make some more statements that the KFD is getting O/T but it will still be a lie.

BTW just for your information the uniform color of both the KFD and KPD is Blue.

jus sayin

U cops are str8 up dumb. Two years ago everyone in school knew to wait till midnight to do what u gotta do in Kearny. As long as u don't throw a house party you do what you want in Kearny.

If highschool peeps know there ain't cops around at night what u think criminals know? Someone said all the cops at night are narcos but that's BS. Ain't fooling nobody. My boy lived on Morgan in NA and the minute we walked across the pike we got harassed . I don't know, I admit I could be wrong ,Bergen county got more money so there's prob more cops out

I live at school now and there are mad cops everywhere at night.

Guest gUEST

I like how ***wipe, Mr. 24 years KPDPipes refers to grown men as "kids" and even better yet "bodies." Is this clown the Morale Officer at the KPD. Most of these kids/bodies have done more work individually than he has done in his entire 24 "I'm Joe Cool" stint at the KPD in their first few months. These are grown men, Police Officers who do not need to learn bad work habits from the tired old Police mule who the other Officers can't stomach to look at or hear. "let me tell you about when I was new, kid," you gotta be joking. Here's a guy that is the first one to jump on COMP. time instead of overtime, in other words a plant for the Mayor and Council, a Union Buster trying to be the hero. He and KPDBlue should realize that COMP. time is a union busting attack that suckers such as Blue and Pipes jump on and try to get others to violate the contract. Why don't you two closet fireman and closet **** leave because you are completely useless in 15 "kids" eyes.

I am sick to my stomach at the very remote possibility, like seeing a U.F.O. that I was your kid or the creepy thoughts you have about my "body." You should do everyone a favor and get out and go tell tall tales for a living at Senior Citizen buildings. That's the only place you will getany credability because of the seniors memories. No one else cares about you rough and tumble MR. Universe dad of a cop. LOL.

Guest Guest

I like how ***wipe, Mr. 24 years KPDPipes refers to grown men as "kids" and even better yet "bodies." Is this clown the Morale Officer at the KPD. Most of these kids/bodies have done more work individually than he has done in his entire 24 "I'm Joe Cool" stint at the KPD in their first few months. These are grown men, Police Officers who do not need to learn bad work habits from the tired old Police mule who the other Officers can't stomach to look at or hear. "let me tell you about when I was new, kid," you gotta be joking. Here's a guy that is the first one to jump on COMP. time instead of overtime, in other words a plant for the Mayor and Council, a Union Buster trying to be the hero. He and KPDBlue should realize that COMP. time is a union busting attack that suckers such as Blue and Pipes jump on and try to get others to violate the contract. Why don't you two closet fireman and closet **** leave because you are completely useless in 15 "kids" eyes.

I am sick to my stomach at the very remote possibility, like seeing a U.F.O. that I was your kid or the creepy thoughts you have about my "body." You should do everyone a favor and get out and go tell tall tales for a living at Senior Citizen buildings. That's the only place you will getany credability because of the seniors memories. No one else cares about you rough and tumble MR. Universe dad of a cop. LOL.

Y'know, maybe if you held a real job long enough to become a senior employee, you'd realize that they senior staff often refers to the new hirees as "kids." It's not an insult, it's more, for lack of a better term, meant affectionately. You see, when you take pride in your work you look forward to and enjoy bringing along the new young employees - much like you would raise your own kids - teaching them the ropes, helping them fit in.

Get some training, get a job, and stop worrying about what doesn't involve you for heaven's sake. B)