KHS Teacher Controversy

Guest Unknown

Guest bik49ypik@yahoo.com
In other words, it's an important freedom, which no one should ever use. How utterly typical of people who think they value principles, except when it comes time to apply them.

:ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja:

So in a staight "yes" or "no" answers. Does your son refuse to say the PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE when its done at a school event or otherwise ?

:ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja:

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently not. If Skepticus is still asking, then he can't have found your answer to be very convincing can he?

Just out of interest, what was your answer?

I too answered the question. These posts are getting long, and those new to them are asking questions that have been answered previously (thus perpetuating the same rancor). I know that people may not want to go back and review the posts from the beginning (or in different threads), but this question has been answered at least twice. So before you condescend about a lack of a response, do your homework first.

Apparently not. If Skepticus is still asking, then he can't have found your answer to be very convincing can he?

Just out of interest, what was your answer?

http://forums.kearnyontheweb.com/index.php...indpost&p=40848

I've answered the question a number of times in various forms.

In fact, I expected to find an answer to skepticus' version of the question (I recall composing one), but either I didn't post it properly or it got lost after posting.

Regardless, lest the "silence" myth magnify via repetition, I would have no problem with someone from a different worldview making comments parallel to those of Mr. Paszkiewicz, with the possible exception of an overly sweeping statement he made concerning the necessity of an intelligent cause (in fact, I'd be likely to take up that issue if it were mentioned in class).

I've had teachers who have made all kinds of political and religious statements over the years with which I did not agree, statements that would fail the test the LaClairs apply.

If all such teachers were removed from teaching, you'd have many classrooms going teacherless.

Guest Dingo Dave
I too answered the question.  These posts are getting long, and those new to them are asking questions that have been answered previously (thus perpetuating the same rancor).  I know that people may not want to go back and review the posts from the beginning (or in different threads), but this question has been answered at least twice.  So before you condescend about a lack of a response, do your homework first.

What pages are they on? I went back quite a few pages, and I didn't see them. Sorry, but I don't have the time to read all 33 pages of this thread at the moment.

I have read the first post but not all the posts just too much. I have read the newspaper where I live on this and I have heard the recording.

He was teaching history, because in history you have religion, it is apart of history. We must remember teaching is based on that the student hears all sides not just one that is called indoctrination.

I must say I do not know what started that topic off but I did see that the problem really is in dealing with the student not believing in God. He stated science being facts on evolution and this is not true at all. I deal with science and that is what caught my attention with this. Evolution is being taught only and they are telling them (the students) it is facts. This is far from the truth and this teacher might know about this and is teaching the students all points of the matter. This is called teaching.

I do hope he wins this and lets people know that teaching is about telling the student everything on the topic not just one point.

Paul,

Declining to stand "is a visible reminder that we are still free to dissent", you are one sick man!! THIS IS JUST A REMINDER OF PEOPLE ABUSING THEIR FREEDOM!!

Again, no one is forcing you to do anything, if you were a true American, believed in freedom and exercised it daily, you would stand, salute, recite, not because you are forced to, but as an AMERICAN you should want to!!! RESPECT the country that allows you all these freedoms which you abuse!!

What freedom is there to speak of if there is only one exercise of that freedom which is acceptable (yours)? Isn't it obvious that if people are to be "free" some will make choices that differ from yours? Not only is your assertion that refusing to stand for the pledge is an abuse of freedom merely your own bias, but the idea itself inherently contradictory (vis a vis the definition of freedom), but the law is not even on your side: In Lipp v. Morris (579 F.2d 834) the Third Circuit ruled that making a NJ student stand for the pledge was the equivalent of symbolic speech, which in turn, is a violation of the First Amendment. Furthermore, N.J. Stat. ß 18A:36-3© provides that students should recite the pledge with the exception that "that pupils who have conscientious scruples against such pledge or salute" are not required to do so.

Others have asked for proof, along with citations, that the Constitution mandates the seperation of church and state. This seperation is such a fundamental aspect of our political system that it really does not merit a response. However, this ideal can be readily infered from the (structure) of constitution as a whole, the first amendment (Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion), and hundreds of years of federal and state common law.

Ironically, any United States history teacher should know this.

There are legitimate factual points of contention in this case (legitimate arguments on whether Mr. P's comments were a violation of that seperation or not), but the law on the seperation of church and state is well-setlled and clear. Since most of the posters in this forum have no idea what the law is, I suggest that you confine your points to factual arguments pro or con until you learn the law.

C.G.

Rutgers University School of Law.

"Mr. President

To messers Nehemiah Dodge, Ephraim Robbins, & Stephen S. Nelson a committee of the Danbury Baptist association in the state of Connecticut.

Gentlemen

The affectionate sentiments of esteem & approbation which you are so good as to express towards me, on behalf of the Danbury Baptist association, give me the highest satisfaction. my duties dictate a faithful & zealous pursuit of the interests of my constituents, and in proportion as they are persuaded of my fidelity to those duties, the discharge of them becomes more & more pleasing.

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man & his god, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, thus building a wall of separation between church and state. [Congress thus inhibited from acts respecting religion, and the Executive authorised only to execute their acts, I have refrained from presenting even occasional performances of devotion presented indeed legally where an Executive is the legal head of a national church, but subject here, as religious exercises only to the voluntary regulations and discipline of each respective sect.] Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties.

I reciprocate your kind prayers for the protection and blessing of the common Father and creator of man, and tender you for yourselves and your religious association, assurances of my high respect & esteem.

(signed) Thomas Jefferson

Jan.1.1802."

C.G.

Rutgers University School of Law

Maybe if we repeat these simple facts enough times they will soak in to the public consciousness. The first amendment of the constitution states that the government shall not establish a religion. The words "In God We Trust" on money, and the words "Under God" in the pledge violate this founding precept of our nation. The supreme court has ruled in West Virginia Board of Education vs. Barnett that students are fully within their rights to not stand for the Pledge and must not be punished for excercising this right. If you religious whackos don't like our constitution, than feel free to go live under sharia in Saudi Arabia.

I deal with science and that is what caught my attention with this. Evolution is being taught only and they are telling them (the students) it is facts. This is far from the truth and this teacher might know about this

What? What bizarro world do you live in? Evolution is very much a fact, and another fact is that creationism, being unscientific, is no opponent to it anyway. Paszkiewicz (and obviously, you) don't know jack about science if you seriously believe what you just said. There is no controversy. Creationism is religion, not science. There is no evidence of a global flood, nor of Noah, nor of any of those things. Have you guys forgotten why it's called "faith?"

What is not being said here is that the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA was founded on christian values. The pilgrims were christians who believed in God and in Salvation and yes in HELL.

The public school system was started by these very people and the curriculum was christian based. Pilgrims progress, prayers in class, and singing of hymns in school was the normal day in the life of a student. Where the Bible was taught along with reading, writing and mathematics.

Somewhere along the line of history someone got their feelings hurt or maybe was getting convicted from the Holy Spirit within them and decided to start a crusade to remove religion from the public schools.

Ok, it has been like that for quite a while, but NO ONE can change History. The Bible and christianity is a part of HISTORY just as the Cival War, Vietnam etc... and last I checked Mr. David Paszkiewicz is a HISTORY teacher!

So what you all are saying is, we should eliminate History?

Mr. Paszkiewicz was bated by a student who loved to start trouble. This is not his fist run in with trouble. This boy seems to have an issue with everything the school is doing. The recent addition of school uniforms, well to protest what did Matthew LaClair do? Did he civally protest, no... he wore a dress.

He protested against Bush by litering the lockers and everything else he could get his hands on to protest it.

He is being treated unfaily? What about Mr. David Paszkiewicz? He was bated by Matthew LaClair, he was backed into a corner and the press had a feild day with it. The press writes and playes portions of the tapes. I can remember hearing the whole tape, and the teacher asking if anyone was objecting to the topic of conversation and everyone said no. Why didn't Matthew LaClair object? Because he had an agenda.

I have 2 daughters who graduated from Kearny High School, and I have met Mr. David Paszkiewicz on occasions. My daughters never had him for a teacher but I sure wish they had.

I am ashamed of the Kearny School System and I am ashamed for the LaClairs who feel the need to be superior in order to valadate themselves.

What about the other religion that is going on in Kearny High School? The Muslim students are allowed to leave class and go to a special area in the school to pray.

What is that!!!! Is that not religion in school, is that not breaking the rules, why didn't Matthew LaClair protest that? Why isn't he suing the school over that because it offends him.

This boy will have a long road ahead of him. His parents taught him to fight his way through life. How sad a life that must be. And how alone!

I am a proud Bible believing born again christian. And I know there is a Heaven and I know there is a Hell. The truth has been spoken and as the devil chewed up and spat out the truth and spewed out lies, so did the LaClairs.

We need get back to what this Country is all about. Freedom of speech, freedom of religion and we need to bring GOD back into the schools. Maybe then so many kids would not be pregnant at 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 etc.. maybe they wouldn't have more hardwear in their faces than Lowes has in their stores. Maybe the gang violence would not be. Maybe the kids would have respect for other people and themselves.

We are in a sad state of affairs and I can for once in my life say, I am not too proud to be an american right now.

I will pray for the LaClair family. I will pray that they will accept the Word of God and take Him as their Saviour and escape the bondage of Hell in the after life.

AMEN!

Guest Karl Marx

I'm sure this has been stated prior to my post, but yes, we are supposed to have our most base, fundamental rights as outlined in the Constitution. And yet for some peculiar reason many posts I've read consider staying seated for the Pledge an abridgement of those rights. I'm glad Matthew decided to take action and get this realigious zealot of a teacher reported. I feel sorry for Matthew and all the acrimony he's getting from fellow students and adults alike, that is what's truely immature.

Subjugating 16 year olds because they're atheist, agnostic, etc. shows the decadence of the United States. I'm all for teaching religion in schools, as long as it's presented in an unbiased manor, telling students who reject Judeo-Christian doctrine they are going to burn in hell is not an objective way to present religion. And I adamantly believe that he should be fired as soon as possible.

:P Yes it the right, but it's wrong, I stand for evrything this country is about, you must be one of those Canada people, who instead of protecting and serving our country you decided it was "Your Right " not to be an American. The " Pledge "

as you call it, is an oath, and it is every Americans duty to stand when taking an oath of allegiance.  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

If you stand for everything this country is about, then consider the fact that the Pledge is to the flag. My alligience, like that of the Founders, lies with the Constitution.

If you are from Kearny then by now you have heard a story that has been blown WAY OUT OF PROPORTION.

A student of KHS, one Matthew LaClair has gone to the newspaper stating that a teacher has been forcing his religious views in is history class.

I applaud Matt and wish him well with his suit. This teacher crossed a well-established line, and punishing Matt for recording his violation is mere retribution for the "embarassment". This school system SHOULD feel embarassed by keeping a preachin' teacher on the payroll. I hope the teacher is fired and Matt wins a large settlement in this case. My family is Wiccan, and this is the last thing I want my kids exposed to in an environment that is supposed to be safe from such things. I think more students should take this kind of intelligent initiative and hold their teachers to account for such things. Goddess knows no one else seems willing to.

What is not being said here is that the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA was founded on christian values.

No, it wasn't--it's getting tiring to hear history revisionists making the same idiotic claims over and over. No, it's not true the 384th time you claim it either. *rolleyes*

http://nobeliefs.com/Tripoli.htm

The pilgrims were christians who believed in God and in Salvation and yes in HELL.

The "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" did not exist in the time of "the pilgrims." Get your facts straight--you're over a century off.

The public school system was started by these very people

Somehow, I doubt this.

and the curriculum was christian based. Pilgrims progress, prayers in class, and singing of hymns in school was the normal day in the life of a student. Where the Bible was taught along with reading, writing and mathematics. 

Somewhere along the line of history someone got their feelings hurt or maybe was getting convicted from the Holy Spirit within them and decided to start a crusade to remove religion from the public schools.

Oh, please. Talking about the situation while the USA didn't even exist yet, back when we were still British colonies, is just incredibly dishonest. The "wall of separation" has been clear from day one of the foundation of this country, as the Constutition makes clear.

Ok, it has been like that for quite a while, but NO ONE can change History.

Including you. Educate yourself.

The Bible and christianity is a part of HISTORY just as the Cival War, Vietnam etc... and last I checked Mr. David Paszkiewicz is a HISTORY teacher!
So what you all are saying is, we should eliminate History?

Wow, what a leap.

1. Religion was not being talked about in a historical context in that classroom. Mr. P. was going on and on about his personal dogma.

2. It is perfectly fine for a teacher to talk about religion in a historical context. No one on the LaClairs' side has ever claimed otherwise. This is a straw man, and we all know it.

Keep your dishonesty to your apologist friends--they're apparently much more likely to fall for such blatant attempts to twist things around.

Mr. Paszkiewicz was bated by a student who loved to start trouble. This is not his fist run in with trouble. This  boy seems to have an issue with everything the school is doing.

Oh no, freethinker alert! Cry me a river--everything he's protested or 'done something about' merit it.

The recent addition of school uniforms, well to protest what did Matthew LaClair do? Did he civally protest, no... he wore a dress.

No, he wore a dress in protest of a specific dumb bit in the dress code where girls could wear skirts on days guys couldn't wear shorts, for some stupid reason. While I agree that uniforms in public school is a ridiculous notion, I'm pretty sure that's not what he was specifically 'making a statement' on when he wore a dress to school.

He protested against Bush by litering the lockers and everything else he could get his hands on to protest it.

I do believe he put stickers only on his own locker. Of course, not surprised that you would try to twist things around again.

He is being treated unfaily? What about Mr. David Paszkiewicz?  He was bated by Matthew LaClair, he was backed into a corner and the press had a feild day with it.

Tough shit. He should have been doing his job properly.

The press writes and playes portions of the tapes. I can remember hearing the whole tape, and the teacher asking if anyone was objecting to the topic of conversation and everyone said no. Why didn't Matthew LaClair object? Because he had an agenda.

Oh no, an agenda to expose a teacher violating the Constitution. How terrible! ;) Idiot.

I am a proud Bible believing born again christian.

If only that surprised me.

And I know there is a Heaven and I know there is a Hell.

No, you don't. There is a big difference between believing and knowing. You obviously believe--but you do not know.

The truth has been spoken and as the devil chewed up and spat out the truth and spewed out lies, so did the LaClairs.

So, comparing the LaClairs to your devil. Can't you feel that Christian love? :)

We need get back to what this Country is all about. Freedom of speech, freedom of religion and we need to bring GOD back into the schools.

No, sorry, you will not achieve your theocracy here. Try Iran.

Maybe then so many kids would not be pregnant at 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 etc..

I doubt that, considering the the Bible belt has the HIGHEST teen pregnancy rates in the country. Explain that, o haughty one.

maybe they wouldn't have more hardwear in their faces than Lowes has in their stores. Maybe the gang violence would not be. Maybe the kids would have respect for other people and themselves.

Nope, we've taken a pretty good look at the places where Christianity is most concentrated, and the truth is that most of the problems Christians whine about being rampant among atheists and other non-Christians, are in fact more rampant in the Bible belt.

We are in a sad state of affairs and I can for once in my life say, I am not too proud to be an american right now.

I will pray for the LaClair family. I will pray that they will accept the Word of God and take Him as their Saviour and escape the bondage of Hell in the after life.

AMEN!

Condescending, arrogant scum. How would you feel if a Muslim told you that he would be 'praying for you to leave your false religion and join Islam so that you wouldn't go to Hell,' huh?

What happened to do unto others? People like you make a mockery of every decent Christian on the planet.

Guest An it harm none, do what ye will
I applaud Matt and wish him well with his suit.  This teacher crossed a well-established line, and punishing Matt for recording his violation is mere retribution for the "embarassment".  This school system SHOULD feel embarassed by keeping a preachin' teacher on the payroll.  I hope the teacher is fired and Matt wins a large settlement in this case.  My family is Wiccan, and this is the last thing I want my kids exposed to in an environment that is supposed to be safe from such things.  I think more students should take this kind of intelligent initiative and hold their teachers to account for such things.  Goddess knows no one else seems willing to.

Such hatred.............such intolerance.

But yours must be better than theirs.

Did you have to bring the Goddess into this, what will everyone think?

Being wiccan you should know better. Blessed Be.....................

Safe from ideas.... safe from people different than myself.... safe, yes I want to be safe. Safe to ruin lives and cash fat settlement checks and look for new things to set right for the world. Give the kid and his parents what they want, saftey from "preachin" - then the whole world will be that much safer.

An it harm none, do what ye will.

Guest Erik Williams

I am one of Mr.Paszkiewicz's former students and I have had him multiple times as a teacher, he is nothing short of excellent. He was one of, if not my favorite teacher. He was always there to help me no matter what I needed. He never imposed his own beliefs on the class, and for you to think that the subject of religion wouldn't come up in a history class you are ignorant. Whether you agree with religion or not it is still a part of history.

I am one of Mr.Paszkiewicz's former students and I have had him multiple times as a teacher, he is nothing short of excellent. He was one of, if not my favorite teacher. He was always there to help me no matter what I needed. He never imposed his own beliefs on the class,

And yet there are former students of his who say the exact opposite. Regardless, what matters is what he was caught doing and saying presently.

and for you to think that the subject of religion wouldn't come up in a history class you are ignorant. Whether you agree with religion or not it is still a part of history.

So, Erik, why don't you explain to me how explaining who does and doesn't belong in hell is historical?

Or how about stating that there was a global flood, and some guy Noah sailed on a boat he built, together with dinosaurs, considering that there is zero archeological/historical evidence for either a global flood or humans coexisting with dinosaurs? How is that historical?

Or how stating that the Big Bang Theory and the Theory of Evolution are not scientific and are as faith-based as Christianity, which is a blatant lie? How is that historical?

For anyone to think that the statements Paszkiewicz got himself in trouble for have anything to do with a legitimate discussion of religion in a historical context...THAT is ignorant. I don't know what recording you listened to, but you seriously need to get your facts straight.

Such hatred.............such intolerance.

Sounds like you saw the signs at the Board meeting.

Give the kid and his parents what they want, saftey from "preachin" - then the whole world will be that much safer.

Not just Matthew, but everyone--every person in this country deserves the same freedom. No one whose salary is being paid with tax dollars is to be preaching their religion on the job, especially not a public school teacher to a captive audience of students. For tax dollars to be spent that way is clearly unconstitutional.

I am one of Mr.Paszkiewicz's former students and I have had him multiple times as a teacher, he is nothing short of excellent. He was one of, if not my favorite teacher. He was always there to help me no matter what I needed. He never imposed his own beliefs on the class, and for you to think that the subject of religion wouldn't come up in a history class you are ignorant. Whether you agree with religion or not it is still a part of history.

Religion is a part of history. Had he been discussing it in that context, it would have been fine. That's not what he was doing.

According to the theory of the big bang the universe exploded from a single point

and then space itself expanded because there was no such thing as preexisting space to expand into and so stars, planets, solar systems, and galaxies have been traveling out in every direction ever since.

Everything has been flying away from everything else for at least 15 billion years, and on one small obscure planet, an anomaly, an accident occurs, a chance combination of carbon and nitrogen atoms fuse into a single cell, a spec of organic life witch leads to increasingly complex and evolving forms struggling for existence and what develops over the course of millions of years is a creature walking on its hind legs with free will, that’s us.

That such an accident occurred from absolutely nothing is even more absurd than the idea that someone or something created it, so if you want to find God maybe you shouldn’t look in scripture but out at the planets the stars the universe and then at the world we live in.

Under the sea there are creature with tendrils and suckers, with stems for mouths, with poisonous stingers, there’s a fish called the “hatchet fish” that electrically lights its anus to blind predators sneaking up from behind, and this blinding light comes from a colony of luminescent bacteria that live in the fishes rectum, all part of gods plan… I guess.

Guest Hoboken neighbor

A little side note for the writer of this post: When the one "stating [his/her] views on religion" is a teacher, ie, an adult in a position of authority over the students in their class, that is inherently "forcing [his/her] beliefs" by the very nature of the teacher/student relationship. Whether Matthew LaClair "provoked" the conversation or not is beside the point. The teacher is the one in control of the situation and should know better than to espouse personal religious beliefs.

If you are from Kearny then by now you have heard a story that has been blown WAY OUT OF PROPORTION.

A student of KHS, one Matthew LaClair has gone to the newspaper stating that a teacher has been forcing his religious views in is history class.

Now I am all for having freedom of speech, but I also believe every subject has a place and time for discussion; and religion in a history class is not that place.

HOWEVER!!!! This 16 year old CHILD, is nothing more than an attention seeking, immature person, who is also been known to "previously garnered attention for protesting Bush administration activities by refusing to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance" (the lippar blog) I will include this website at the end of my rant!

This kid thinks he is so self rightcious and claims he “was requesting an apology and correction of false and anti-scientific statements" (the lippard blog).

If you listen to the audio (which I will also supply the site to) you can clearly hear that Laclair PROVOKED the conversation, and you can hear that the teacher had responded QUITE APPROPRIATELY:

One example being:

Matthew: isn't the whole point of public schools is so that you can separate personal beliefs from teachers and administrators from non religious teachings during school, like school prayer and all that.

teacher: the purpose of public school is to provide free education for people that couldn't afford education. That’s the purpose of public school

Matthew: what would decide what religion should be taught in school, what would decide that?

teacher: no it's not about teaching, my point is it's not about teaching religion, these issues all come up in time, ( tape fades out) things get legislated and we talk in class

the public school shouldn't teach a religion but the scriptures aren't religion they are a foundation of the worlds religion, the world main religion any way.

religion is a set way of doing things

In the conversation above, taken my Matthew Laclair himself, i see no wrong doing by this teacher, i do however see constant and what seems to be "rehearsed" provoking of the topic.

I hope he is reading this right now, because I just have one question for him: What on earth was the need to go to the newspaper? Laclair stated that he had a meeting with the principle, teacher, and the head of the social studies department and at first they did not seem to believe him but then he pulled out the cd's.....which in itself violated this teachers right to privacy.

So again, my question, after laclair proved himself with the cd's why did he not wait for administrative action to take place? There was no need to go to the newspaper, and I think in doing so, this Matthew laclair just proves that he is a 16 year old high school student, and therefore has ALOT to learn before he goes off starting religious wars, and pledge of allegiance protest in the United States of America, a country that has always, and especially since 9/11 shown great pride in our ONE NATION UNDER GOD!!!!

ps: a little side note for everyone reading this who disagrees: stating your views on religion and "forcing your beliefs on someone" is two COMPLELTY DIFFERENT THINGS.

so I would like to say to everyone who agrees or disagrees, we are all here in this nation, in this community together, and my religion is Roman Catholic, so when I say GOD BLESS YOU, I’m not forcing my views, I’m using my faith to wish you health and happiness

GOD BLESS you all

PPS: if this offends anyone then tough, because I AM offended that a wonderful teacher is being persecuted by an unknowledgeable juvenile for merely stating what he believes in. Also that this kid is living in MY COUTNRY where my friends and family have fought to keep our freedom and he turns his back on our president and our flag.

lippard blog: http://lippard.blogspot.com/2006/11/public...-class-you.html

Audio:

http://www.nj.com/cgi-bin/prxy/xmedia/nph-.../classaudio.mp3

• 4 weeks later...
Well what is it? Was he discussing or preaching?

He was preaching. He could have been discussing, but he didn't. Duh.

Air tight case my ass.

lol, if only you had the guts to register here so that you can be publicly ridiculed if this issue makes it to court (looks like it will). 'Cause if it does, Paszkiewicz doesn't have a prayer, and I wouldn't mind rubbing it in your arrogant face when his pathetic attempts at defending himself are utterly destroyed in the courtroom. :P