Les Miserables

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Only a moron would say that Les Miserables wasn't a huge success on Broadway (it was) or that it wasn't a brilliant play (it is). If you can watch a good production of that play without tearing up it's not because the play wasn't great, it's because you have too few functioning brain cells to know what you're seeing.

The novel and the play tell a classic story of good and evil through two lenses: Valjean and Javert.

They give an account of people who struggle through hard times, like the mother who dies trying to care for her only child, and the young idealistic men who die trying to reform a callous sytem.

Then there's the story of Valjean's spiritual redemption, his uncompromising integrity and his self-sacrificing love for a young girl who is not his child - the daughter of the woman who dies early in the play. There's the story of his success raising this young girl to adulthood and then saving the life of her young man, whom she marries in one of the final scenes.

There's the story of Eponine's unrequited love for Marius and the tear-jerking song when she dies in his arms.

There's the hard-edged comic relief of the innkeeper and his wife.

And if you actually listen to the music, you can hear the themes repeated throughout the play in interesting variations that say plenty about the composer's intent. There's a master story in here but you have to open your mind and pay attention.

I don't think this play is a good choice for a high school production - it's too challenging - but if the kids have fun doing it and the community enjoys it, I say BREAK A LEG!

Guest Guest
Because the play is silly. A musical about the French Revolution, Good Grief.

You don't know what you're talking about (as if that wasn't obvious already). The French Revolution was in the late 18th century. This play is set in the mid-19th century.

Guest Guest
Yea, the idiot who said Les Mis was silly but didn't actually see it. Moron.

Les Mis isn't a silly show; but for a high school production it might be. I'm rooting for the kids though. This fairly young cast will put on a great performance, as usual.

Guest Guest
Saw the show last night. Unbelievable!

Oh M! The shameless self promotion on the backs of the kids is really getting out of hand. Pushing hard for that promo aren't you?

Guest Guest
So come on where is your response? You dislike a musical you didn't see based on a novel, considered on of the best of the 19th century by Victor Hugo a musical that opened on Broadway nominated for twelve Tony's winning 8 including best musical. I guess they didn't ask you for your opinion.......... that you based on what again? How do you think they determine the Tony, by how much money it makes? Or do they ask the opinion of people that don't see the musical because people that wouldn't go see it would do research about a musical just for the fun of it? I can't wait to hear your explanation? So what musicals do you consider quality? If you don't like Les Mis, you are going to hate what I heard the high school is doing next year.......Into the Woods.

The novel was a serious treatment based on history putting it to music, in my opinion, is silly. Sorry you don't like that.

The Tony Awards, much like the Oscars, are little more than a popularity contest.

Guest Guest
Oh M! The shameless self promotion on the backs of the kids is really getting out of hand. Pushing hard for that promo aren't you?

OMG! Reading these boards is becoming more and more ridiculous every day! In one thread KHS is being criticized for not promoting the wonderful activities, sports, awards that our kids are taking part in. Here KHS is being criticized for "promotion on the backs of the kids." So let me get this straight, the only kids at KHS that we can promote are wrestlers? Wrestlers that may or may not have committed crimes while on the clock during a summer job? Maybe the problem is that these brilliant students did not get the leads in this play...

Please critics, hold your tongues, support the kids, see the play, don't see the play, but stop ridiculing the hard work these talented kids and their teachers produced for experience and entertainment.

Guest Guest
You don't know what you're talking about (as if that wasn't obvious already). The French Revolution was in the late 18th century. This play is set in the mid-19th century.

Sorry, Paris Uprising. Okay douche?

Guest Guest

It's L. and the show WAS unbelievable! Wasn't it? You saw it too of course.

Guest Guest
The novel was a serious treatment based on history putting it to music, in my opinion, is silly. Sorry you don't like that.

The Tony Awards, much like the Oscars, are little more than a popularity contest.

So you saw it?

Guest Guest

Looks like somebody needs a nap!

If the story was completely fictional, would you like it then? Just what do you think art is, and since when does everyone else have to conform to your standards of what the relationship should be between life and art? Since when does music have to exclude life? Just what do you think music appeals to if not what happens to us in life?

What a ridiculous argument you're making! If it's good music and a good story, it's a good play.

Guest Guest

Where exactly is this thread? What wonderful activities and sports do we have at Kearny?

Where do we promote wrestlers? And I find it funny that you are bashing 2 kids on a forum, yet asking others to support kids. Pretty hypocritical! YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM

OMG! Reading these boards is becoming more and more ridiculous every day! In one thread KHS is being criticized for not promoting the wonderful activities, sports, awards that our kids are taking part in. Here KHS is being criticized for "promotion on the backs of the kids." So let me get this straight, the only kids at KHS that we can promote are wrestlers? Wrestlers that may or may not have committed crimes while on the clock during a summer job? Maybe the problem is that these brilliant students did not get the leads in this play...

Please critics, hold your tongues, support the kids, see the play, don't see the play, but stop ridiculing the hard work these talented kids and their teachers produced for experience and entertainment.

Guest Guest
Sorry, Paris Uprising. Okay douche?

Bozo, if you're going to get your panties in a twist about a play being based on history, you set a standard that doesn't even make sense. If Shakespeare was alive you could tell him that all his historical plays are silly too. Of course, you could limit your exacting critique to musicals but on what basis is a line drawn in the sand of artistic expression? Because you say so? I have news for you: the artistic world doesn't agree with you and that isn't just the Tony committee. And even at that, how do you explain the fact that this play has been performed in major productions in nearly every developed country on earth, where they don't have a Tony committee?

And if you set a standard like that, then what about "South Pacific?" What are you going to say, that South Pacific wasn't meant to be taken seriously? How about "Oklahoma" which draws its story from life and culture in the United States at the time of its setting? How about Evita? Just how many of our best musical plays would you like to throw into the garbage can? Do you really think our culture would be richer for your efforts?

And do you really think you're setting down some intelligent standards for the performing arts? Playwrights and lyricists can draw on history if they don't treat it seriously - how seriously? Great, let's all sit around arguing whether a play offers the proper relationship between fantasy and reality. There is a place for that but it has to do with how well the art appeals to us, not just with whether the art takes the history seriously. Seems to me that you could use a couple of good, stiff drinks to kill that bug up your ---.

The most you can intelligently say is that the play doesn't appeal to you. If you're going to pick nits, calling a great play silly because it puts history to music, don't whine when you get caught with nits of your own. And if you do it putting down a play that good kids in our community, and the good adults behind them, are working hard to put on, don't whine when you get called out on any mistakes you might make.

And no, I have absolutely nothing to do with the current KHS production or any relationship to anyone working on it. I just think that's what's silly is your niggling criticism of a play you haven't even seen.

Guest quid out

Last chance to see the show tonight. Heard it was packed last night. I will go tonight again!

ps A couple flew in from Portugal yesterday and will be attending the tonight.

Guest Guest

Self-promotion? For SELF-PROMOTION shouldn't one have actually APPLIED for the most recent "promo" opportunity?

Wouldn't it be promotion of the 40+ children on stage that have worked every night since early January on this production? Many after sports practice with little or no dinner till after 9 and before homework? Wouldn't it be for the promotion of the excitement and feeling of accomplishment for these students to see as many people out in the audience each night witnessing the fruits of their hard work? Wouldn't it be promotion for financial reasons because the musical has no budget and must pay for the rights of the play, the orchestra, the sound company, the props, the costumes, materials for set design, extra lighting and tickets? Maybe promotion of the expertise of the director, conductor, choreographer, set designer, lighting manager so they could pass on what they know to students in an educational setting? Maybe the promotion of the literary, musical and artistic education of the students who come to see the show? Their opportunity to increase their skills in singing, acting, dancing, composing themselves in front of a large group of people, working as a team and learning about the story of a great novel and now musical theater? The promotion of the children of the parents of Kearny and the pride of those parents when their children end on the high note of the finale, "Do You Hear the People Sing?" (Do You Hear Your Children Sing?) and hundreds of people roar with delight and stand to clap? And again, the most important reason, wouldn't it be promotion of the 40+ children on stage, the educational experience they receive, and camaraderie with their fellow students having shared an experience for 3 months and built something artistic and rewarding to perform together for as many people as possible?

You see in music and in working with children there is something far more powerful than money and promotions. Come and see for yourself. Tonight at 7:30.

Guest USGrant

I just wanted to say as a person who has seen Les Mis on Broadway at least 3 times.... I was thoroughly surprised at how good this was performed ... the voice of eponine was second to none.. and all involved should be highly commended.

Guest Guest
Self-promotion? For SELF-PROMOTION shouldn't one have actually APPLIED for the most recent "promo" opportunity?

Wouldn't it be promotion of the 40+ children on stage that have worked every night since early January on this production? Many after sports practice with little or no dinner till after 9 and before homework? Wouldn't it be for the promotion of the excitement and feeling of accomplishment for these students to see as many people out in the audience each night witnessing the fruits of their hard work? Wouldn't it be promotion for financial reasons because the musical has no budget and must pay for the rights of the play, the orchestra, the sound company, the props, the costumes, materials for set design, extra lighting and tickets? Maybe promotion of the expertise of the director, conductor, choreographer, set designer, lighting manager so they could pass on what they know to students in an educational setting? Maybe the promotion of the literary, musical and artistic education of the students who come to see the show? Their opportunity to increase their skills in singing, acting, dancing, composing themselves in front of a large group of people, working as a team and learning about the story of a great novel and now musical theater? The promotion of the children of the parents of Kearny and the pride of those parents when their children end on the high note of the finale, "Do You Hear the People Sing?" (Do You Hear Your Children Sing?) and hundreds of people roar with delight and stand to clap? And again, the most important reason, wouldn't it be promotion of the 40+ children on stage, the educational experience they receive, and camaraderie with their fellow students having shared an experience for 3 months and built something artistic and rewarding to perform together for as many people as possible?

You see in music and in working with children there is something far more powerful than money and promotions. Come and see for yourself. Tonight at 7:30.

Good for you Mart! It's good to see the old boys band geek club taking over the Kearny education system.

Guest Guest
Good for you Mart! It's good to see the old boys band geek club taking over the Kearny education system.

Good for Mart what? What do you mean?

What is the old boys band geek club?

How s this "club" taking over the Kearny education system?

Explain it all........please! Can you? Be specific!