Stupid Leadbeater promise # 1

Guest Guest

So now, in today’s Observer, candidate Leadbeater has stated his plan for lowering taxes. Most of it is just dumb and even if it could be done it wouldn’t make a dent in our taxes. He doesn’t tell us how much money he thinks he can save. That’s because it doesn’t amount to anything. In fact, it would cost us money and cause our taxes to go up. Chief case in point:

Leadbeater promises to “settle ALL union contracts BEFORE they expire.” The capital letters are his. Mr Leadbeater, are you lying to us or are you just stupid? Every mayor tries to settle the contract before it expires. But if the union wants more than we are willing to give, he can’t settle the contract unless he accepts the union’s terms. By promising IN ADVANCE that he will settle ALL contracts BEFORE they expire, he makes it easy on the union to take advantage of us taxpayers and he guarantees that they won’t budge in their negotiations. Why should they? All they have to do is wait until the contract is about to expire, and then Leadbeater has to come crawling to them and give them whatever they want. He promised to settle, remember!? If you have a brain, you don’t settle until you know what the other party is offering.

Our taxes will go up if we elect Leadbeater because he doesn’t know what he’s doing. He wants to be in charge of our negotiations and our town’s finances but he doesn’t even begin to understand them. Nobody with half a brain would make a promise like that. It’s just plain stupid.

It’s the same with most of his promises. They sound good until you think about them. Then you realize they won’t work.

Leadbeater promises: “I would hold planning and zoning board cases during the day to eliminate all the expenses associated with nighttime cases and allowing residents a chance to attend and oppose if needed.”

I had to read that three times to make sure he actually wrote that. Most people work during the day. These meetings are held in the evening so that people can attend. If they were held in the daytime, most people would not be able to attend. That’s the point. That’s why practically every town in the country holds meetings like this IN THE EVENING. What planet is this guy living on?

And it isn’t just citizens. Board members have paying jobs during the day. If you make them serve during the day, who will be willing to take these jobs?

Think, Mr. Leadbeater, think. You might feel better.

Leadbeater claims he can cut all the waste out of the town budget. Sounds great, right? But HOW?

What legal services don’t we need? How much does Leadbeater claim he can save? How much will it cost us if we don’t have proper legal services and get stuck with liability that proper services could have prevented?

How much does he plan to pay an engineer? How much does he claim he can save? Will a competent engineer be willing to work for that amount of money?

What services does he plan to consolidate with Harrison and East Newark? What makes him think Harrison and East Newark would agree? And even if they do agree, how will that save money?

How is he going to “force East Orange Water Commission to repay us for” the water meters they installed years ago? Does he think he can just send the town police over to East Orange and arrest someone? And how long ago were those meters installed? Even if we wanted to sue EOWC, which would cost money in legal fees, could we still do it? Even if we won the case, would the amount of the judgment offset the legal fees? What makes him think this wasn’t already considered?

I just love this one: “I would cut the salaries of the two mayor aides. Everywhere you look there are people out of work. I’m sure I can get someone to be my aide for half the salary.” Yeah, I’m sure you can, but whom? Do we really want someone working in the mayor’s office just because they can’t find any other work?

Leadbeater doesn’t think things through. He only tells you what he thinks you want to hear. That’s not good enough to be mayor. The people of Kearny want someone who knows what he’s doing. Mayor Santos isn’t perfect but at least he understands the issues and how things actually work.

Guest Another Bizarro Promise

Here's another strange promise from John Leadbeater:

building an "exit or entrance" from East Midland Avenue to the Gunnell Oval for vehicles.

So East Midland goes from a quiet dead end to a through street? And did you add that additional traffic to the Gunnel Oval where children are playing? That will disrupt the East Midland neighborhood big time.

So now, in today’s Observer, candidate Leadbeater has stated his plan for lowering taxes. Most of it is just dumb and even if it could be done it wouldn’t make a dent in our taxes. He doesn’t tell us how much money he thinks he can save. That’s because it doesn’t amount to anything. In fact, it would cost us money and cause our taxes to go up. Chief case in point:

Leadbeater promises to “settle ALL union contracts BEFORE they expire.” The capital letters are his. Mr Leadbeater, are you lying to us or are you just stupid? Every mayor tries to settle the contract before it expires. But if the union wants more than we are willing to give, he can’t settle the contract unless he accepts the union’s terms. By promising IN ADVANCE that he will settle ALL contracts BEFORE they expire, he makes it easy on the union to take advantage of us taxpayers and he guarantees that they won’t budge in their negotiations. Why should they? All they have to do is wait until the contract is about to expire, and then Leadbeater has to come crawling to them and give them whatever they want. He promised to settle, remember!? If you have a brain, you don’t settle until you know what the other party is offering.

Our taxes will go up if we elect Leadbeater because he doesn’t know what he’s doing. He wants to be in charge of our negotiations and our town’s finances but he doesn’t even begin to understand them. Nobody with half a brain would make a promise like that. It’s just plain stupid.

It’s the same with most of his promises. They sound good until you think about them. Then you realize they won’t work.

Of course you could always negotiate like Santos. Drag it out for years and years, and then complain about the cost of the retro monies due.

Guest Barney from Kearny
Leadbeater claims he can cut all the waste out of the town budget. Sounds great, right? But HOW?

What legal services don’t we need? How much does Leadbeater claim he can save? How much will it cost us if we don’t have proper legal services and get stuck with liability that proper services could have prevented?

How much does he plan to pay an engineer? How much does he claim he can save? Will a competent engineer be willing to work for that amount of money?

What services does he plan to consolidate with Harrison and East Newark? What makes him think Harrison and East Newark would agree? And even if they do agree, how will that save money?

How is he going to “force East Orange Water Commission to repay us for” the water meters they installed years ago? Does he think he can just send the town police over to East Orange and arrest someone? And how long ago were those meters installed? Even if we wanted to sue EOWC, which would cost money in legal fees, could we still do it? Even if we won the case, would the amount of the judgment offset the legal fees? What makes him think this wasn’t already considered?

I just love this one: “I would cut the salaries of the two mayor aides. Everywhere you look there are people out of work. I’m sure I can get someone to be my aide for half the salary.” Yeah, I’m sure you can, but whom? Do we really want someone working in the mayor’s office just because they can’t find any other work?

Leadbeater doesn’t think things through. He only tells you what he thinks you want to hear. That’s not good enough to be mayor. The people of Kearny want someone who knows what he’s doing. Mayor Santos isn’t perfect but at least he understands the issues and how things actually work.

Hey Jerky, for someone who doesn't provide any solutions you sure ask a lot of questions. Give Leadbeater a break. Not many people are willing to step up to plate and serve (you and me included) but he is. You've got to give a guy like that some credit. Now shut up before

I give you a time-out.

None of Leadbeater's defenders defends his idiotic idea of promising to settle all union contracts before they expire. It is a promise he can only keep by giving the unions everything they want and costing us taxpayers money.

This is a major point. Leadbeater either doesn't understand a fundamental responsibility of the mayor, or he is lying to get you to vote for him.

How about it, deadenders? How can you defend your boy on this one?

MR. SANTOS is this you again? MY question to you is WHY didn`t YOU mention, in YOUR PROFILE anything about YOUR COUNTY JOB?

MR. SANTOS is this you again? MY question to you is WHY didn`t YOU mention, in YOUR PROFILE anything about YOUR COUNTY JOB?

No, it's not Al but he did mention his county job in his profile. There's nothing wrong with it.

Meanwhile, you don't mention a word about the fact that

Leadbeater's PROMISE to settle all union contracts before they expire

IS FREAKING STUPID!

Probably because his county job has nothing to do with him being Mayor. So many people have faulted Santos for getting a job. Who cares that he works for the county? The job of Mayor of Kearny is not a full-time gig.

Get over yourselves, will ya? Start talking about things that matter.

No, it's not Al but he did mention his county job in his profile. There's nothing wrong with it.

IS FREAKING STUPID!

Someone definately needs anger management classes!

Guest Kearny Resident

I am very curious to know why Mayor Santos declined a debate with Mr. Leadbeater. as a Kearny resident all my life I would have like to see all of these accusations brought out in the open less than four days before an election.

What I know is that the gas station was in the 1st Ward it is to my understanding that there are 8 council members and one Mayor which makes 9 votes how does this particular issue get blamed on Mr. Leadbeater. 7 democrates held seats and the republican gets the blame???????

Norman Doyle represents the businesses in South Kearny filing tax appeals.

The police and fire stations are done by the 2nd ward councilwoman Rosemary Robertson and the council.

The self insurance fund contains towns from all over. Other towns did not fund their portions.

Town Hall Annex was Mr. Leadbeater's idea but he wanted a 3 story building that abridged into the town hall municipal court.

Mr. Leadbeater was not even on the council when the streetscape plans were discussed and when he got back on the NEW council the plans were already layed out.

The water deal was done in 1997 when he was off the council but eight democrats controlled the council from 1996 to say the town did not settle contracts for 4 years means democrats held up the negotiations.

I believe Mr. Leadbeater did say we need a reevaluation of properties. The state requires one every 20 years. I believe it has been at least 25 years and counting Kearny has gone without one.

Reality is with property values decreasing like they have, it makes all the sense to want it done.

I as a Kearny resident raising children here would like a change and someone who cares about our town in a whole, old, current and future especially our children who is looking out for them does Mr. Santos have children does he have to worry about what his tax dollars are going towards.

I believe it is time for a change Mr. Leadbeater you have our vote.

Guest 'Guest'

IS FREAKING STUPID!

In SANTOS`S PROFILE " I HAVE SERVED AS CLERK TO THE HUDSON COUNTY BOARD OF FREEHOLDERS SINCE 2006". Let`s stop with the LIES SANTOS, YOU HAVE BEEN PAID TO BE A CLERK ( $80,000.00 PLUS BENEFITS,A CAR ) AT A YEARLY SALARIE TOTALING $105,000.00 DOLLARS. AGAIN I ASK, WHERE DOES SANTAX LIVE. IT`S NOT 149 JOHNSTON AVE.AND AS PER MR. LEADBEATERS STATEMENT " SETTLE CONTRACTS BEFORE THEY EXPIRE " MEANS TO ME THAT HE WOULD SIT DOWN WITH THE UNIONS MONTHS BEFORE CONTRACTS EXPIRE AND SEE WHAT THEY WANT AND HOPEFULLY AGREE TO A SETTLEMENT THAT IS GOOD FOR THE UNION EMPLOYEES AND TOWN OF KEARNY AND NOT WAIT TILL THE CONTRACTS EXPIRATION DATE. DOES`NT SEEM FREAKING STUPID TO ME.

Guest Full of Baloney
What I know is that the gas station was in the 1st Ward it is to my understanding that there are 8 council members and one Mayor which makes 9 votes how does this particular issue get blamed on Mr. Leadbeater. 7 democrates held seats and the republican gets the blame???????

Mr. Leadbeater was not even on the council when the streetscape plans were discussed and when he got back on the NEW council the plans were already layed out.

The water deal was done in 1997 when he was off the council but eight democrats controlled the council from 1996 to say the town did not settle contracts for 4 years means democrats held up the negotiations.

I believe Mr. Leadbeater did say we need a reevaluation of properties. The state requires one every 20 years. I believe it has been at least 25 years and counting Kearny has gone without one.

Your facts are wrong. In 1996, REPUBLICAN Leo Vartan was Mayor. Republican John Leadbeater was on the Council. As was Republican Lillian Russell. Republican Cataffi and Republican Maggenheimer also served in the mid-90's.

Leadbeater was on the Council in 1996, skipped one year, and was back in 1998.

As to revaluation, you want to spend a $1.5 million to have inspectors go through every house? You've got to be kidding.

Your facts are wrong. In 1996, REPUBLICAN Leo Vartan was Mayor. Republican John Leadbeater was on the Council. As was Republican Lillian Russell. Republican Cataffi and Republican Maggenheimer also served in the mid-90's.

Leadbeater was on the Council in 1996, skipped one year, and was back in 1998.

As to revaluation, you want to spend a $1.5 million to have inspectors go through every house? You've got to be kidding.

This

Simple facts, Leo Vartan's Town Administrator held up Contracts NOT the council Democrats. Czech REFUSED To negotiate at all even when ordered to do so by the State Arbitrator. The past PD and FD contracts were NOT held up by the Council THEY were Held up By Joe "Papa Smurf' D'Arco's Refusal to Negotiate with the unions. Funny part is, back in Vartan's Days, and in the more recent Contracts (The latest one being the exception) The town ended up settling for what the Unions had originally asked for in the FIRST Place..which pretty much blows yout theory of the Unions asking for too much right out of the water, doesnt it Skippy. In fact NO town union, Police, Fire, or CS-11 has EVER asked for anything more than the average across the state when it came to contracts. It's always been the town's refusal to mee that was the problem. I know for a fact that the Police request a meeting with the Town to start negotiations SIX MONTHS before a contract expires, and the Town has never done so.

Guest That'll be a disaster
This

Simple facts, Leo Vartan's Town Administrator held up Contracts NOT the council Democrats. Czech REFUSED To negotiate at all even when ordered to do so by the State Arbitrator. The past PD and FD contracts were NOT held up by the Council THEY were Held up By Joe "Papa Smurf' D'Arco's Refusal to Negotiate with the unions. Funny part is, back in Vartan's Days, and in the more recent Contracts (The latest one being the exception) The town ended up settling for what the Unions had originally asked for in the FIRST Place..which pretty much blows yout theory of the Unions asking for too much right out of the water, doesnt it Skippy. In fact NO town union, Police, Fire, or CS-11 has EVER asked for anything more than the average across the state when it came to contracts. It's always been the town's refusal to mee that was the problem. I know for a fact that the Police request a meeting with the Town to start negotiations SIX MONTHS before a contract expires, and the Town has never done so.

The "average across the state" is precisely the reason why taxes are so high in the State of New Jersey! So you want to give in to union demands not just on day one, but even before a contract expires? That's a recipe for higher taxes and even higher salaries and benefits for municipal employees.

Not at all. You have to understand that to get some people to get the point,

YOU HAVE TO WRITE IT VERY BIG AND IN CRAYON.

Sounds like your scared that Leadbeater is really going to win. There certainly has been enough corruption in the last 10 years to warrent a change in this town. MT VOTE IS FOR LEADBEATER. Being a lifelong resident, I hope everyone in Kearny votes for him. You haven't given one valid point not to vote for him.

Sounds like your scared that Leadbeater is really going to win. There certainly has been enough corruption in the last 10 years to warrent a change in this town. MT VOTE IS FOR LEADBEATER. Being a lifelong resident, I hope everyone in Kearny votes for him. You haven't given one valid point not to vote for him.

You bet I'm scared he could win. Bush won. Vartan won. A lot of incompetent people win elections. So I'm scared. Because I know that Leadbeater doesn't know what he's doing.

Nobody who knew what he was doing would promise to settle all union contracts before they expire.

So when you claim that no valid points have been made against Leadbeater, you're just plain wrong. Are you lying? Did you just decide to ignore the point? Why do you make a statement like that when it isn't true?

In promising to settle all union contracts before they expire, Leadbeater PROVED beyond the shadow of a doubt

that he does not understand what the job requires.

That is why it would be very scary if he was elected.

I am still waiting to see someone provide some proof to support the claim that Mayor Santos declined to debate. It appears that the Republicans are lying again.

He did not want a debate down at River Terminal or at the Optimist Club.

Isn't it interesting that NONE of Leadbeater's supporters has ANYTHING to say about his promise

to settle all union contracts before they expire.

If Leadbeater was young or inexperienced, you might think that was an excuse.

But he served on the Town Council for nearly ten years

and still doesn't know better.

The only explanation is that

Leadbeater is not qualified to be mayor

because he does not understand the demands of the job.

Im no huge fan of John's..but you are the one who is utterly wrong here. North Arlington used to routinely settle their Police Contract before the old one expired. It's rather obvious that YOU are the one who is unqualified to have an opinion. The way the process is SUPPOSED to work is that the unions and the town begin negotiating about 6 months before the contract expires. Each submits a proposal and they work out their differences and get it all done BEFORE the old contract expires. This way there is no gap, and no need for huge Retroactive Payouts like we have had every contract in Kearny for decades. NO ONE is saying "Lets just blindly agree to whatever the Employees are Asking" That is a LIE that you insist on repeating. What Leadbeater is saying is that he wants to handle the contracts the way the Kearny is REQUIRED to do by law, and has violated every contract for the last 35 years or so.