School Ban On Hooded Swatshirts ?

Guest sunny

My daughter informed me this morning that the school restricts children wearing hooded sweatshirts over their clothes, I was shocked, my grandchildren are ages 5-11 and they are not in a gang, I can not believe that they can restrict outerwear on a cold day, hooded sweatshirts even the ones with zippers are not allowed. My daughter has three boys and one girl, the " hoodies" are affordable for her and they are neat, the only sweatshirts they are allowed to wear are ones that relate to the Kearny Schools and must say so. Come on, a child in kindergarten is going to be intimidating! Get a grip, this is just another way to make money, I think that the school system is going too far!

My daughter informed me this morning that the school restricts children wearing hooded sweatshirts over their clothes, I was shocked, my grandchildren are ages 5-11 and they are not in a gang, I can not believe that they can restrict outerwear on a cold day, hooded sweatshirts even the ones with zippers are not allowed. My daughter has three boys and one girl, the " hoodies" are affordable for her and they are neat, the only sweatshirts they are allowed to wear are ones that relate to the Kearny Schools and must say so. Come on, a child in kindergarten is going to be intimidating! Get a grip, this is just another way to make money, I think that the school system is going too far!

They have gone too far!!!! The Kearny Board of Education initiated a "uniform" policy three years ago. That means that the parents and students have no say whatsoever in the attire that they are allowed to wear. As such the Kearny BOE has dictated what is allowed and has the full ability to restrict non-approved items. People need to stand up for their rights and demand that the uniform policy be abolished. The current Board needs to correct this violation of the US Constitution.

They have gone too far!!!! The Kearny Board of Education initiated a "uniform" policy three years ago. That means that the parents and students have no say whatsoever in the attire that they are allowed to wear. As such the Kearny BOE has dictated what is allowed and has the full ability to restrict non-approved items. People need to stand up for their rights and demand that the uniform policy be abolished. The current Board needs to correct this violation of the US Constitution.

Alan Dershowitz Jr. ladies and gentlemen!

Although I, am a supporter of uniforms (as are my children, one in high school and one in elementary), I have to agree that not being able to wear a hoodie is just absolutely ridiculous. I am definitely not going to spend extra money to buy a fleece or zippered sweartshirt with Kearny Schools on it. The BOE should be ashamed of themselves. And on another note, I was very shocked when I went to Fit-Rite Uniforms and was told the high school shirts were $15.00. Now, like I said, I am a supporter of uniforms, but $15.00 for a uniform shirt, and then they also expect us to purchase a fleece or sweatshirt with the school emblem????

Guest Fly Swatter

Dear Fly, before getting all buzzy and crazed, take a look at the kids in town going to/from the public schools some day. Most if not all appear to be happy, well adjusted kids with their own personalities and looks. Different styles of hair cuts, shoes, back packs, clothing etc...

Save your "stand up for your rights" speech for another day. No need to worry....the kids are fine!

Thank you for your statement. I believe that they are inhibiting these children from becoming individuals, I can see the uniforms, but to have a set dress code for outwear is ridiculous, the next thing will be that they have to have is the same school bookbags

FlyontheWall I agree with you. The Administration has gone too far with so many issues and violations of rights. Some people need to start fighting back, because the illegalities are ridiculous and the dictatorship over so many different issues has just become extraordinary. This cannot be coincidence that so many different things are transpiring under this administrations watch.

Dear Fly, before getting all buzzy and crazed, take a look at the kids in town going to/from the public schools some day. Most if not all appear to be happy, well adjusted kids with their own personalities and looks. Different styles of hair cuts, shoes, back packs, clothing etc...

Save your "stand up for your rights" speech for another day. No need to worry....the kids are fine!

Buzzy and crazed? That's original but that's not me. I like your user name because it's original too. The freedoms we have in this country, aren't they wonderful? I'm just stating an opposing point of view, a view that I feel very strongly about. I am a parent of a Kearny student so I see the kids in town going to/from the public schools every day. I agree that the kids I see appear to be happy and well adjusted with their own personalities and looks. I would hope so because they're kids. Why shouldn't they be? Kids are supposed to be happy and well adjusted. The point here is that you list "Different styles of hair cuts, shoes, back packs, clothing etc." Clothing???? Doesn't this statement support my opposition to uniforms? The uniform policy doesn't cover outer clothing so long as it isn't a hooded sweatshirt. Maybe that's why the kids are happy. They can still select and choose their own hair cuts, shoes, and back packs. These items are not part of the uniform policy, at least not yet anyway. Maybe they're happy because they still have a choice regarding their outer clothing, for the time being as well. Like I indicated, they're kids and their supposed to be happy.

I am a supporter of a dress code because they have been deemed legal in court cases wheras uniform codes have not. Dress codes violate our Constitutional rights. The school system had a dress code in place for years but the school administration at the time didn't enforce it. A child not being able to wear a hooded sweatshirt to school is ridiculous. Why should parents have to spend extra money to buy "mandatory" uniform items so their children can attend public schools that they are legally entitled to attend for free. Our property taxes allow our children to attend the school system, that's the cost for the entitlement. Having vendors who are charging up to $20.00 each for uniform shirts and more for fleece or sweatshirts with the school emblem is outrageous. Parents have to pay these fees for their children, which can now cost up to a few hundred dollars if they have multiple children attending schools.

I like your statement, "Save your stand up for your rights speech for another day." Today is another day and tomorrow will be another day too as long as my rights are concerned. I would hope that the kids stay fine. If they don't learn about individuality and their need to stand up and assert their rights now, they will never make it in the real world. The next uniforms that they could be wearing could be issued by McDonalds or even worse, the NJ Department of Corrections and I am not talking about employment as officers.

The current BOE needs to take another look at this issue and give the Constitutional issues a serious review.

Get a grip. The kids are not allowed to wear hooded sweatshirts during the school day. They can wear them to school, but they cannot wear them during school. If your children are cold, they can wear long sleeved shirts under the uniform shirt, or even a sweatshirt with no hood under the shirt. At KHS it's pretty damn scary when you see these big boys walking around in school with their hoods on. No, it's not allowed and I agree.

I am very happy about the reponses that this post has received. I started this post because families like my daughter with 4 school children under the age of 12 has a heavy burden buying uniforms, since Frankin School doesn't sell them any more. Last year the shirts were $6 now they are $12 what the heck is that...I pay heavy taxe on a one family my husband and I are retired, most of our tax goes to school tax, but to make these parents buy outwear that the school approves on is absolutely NUTS. Please spread the word to family and friends to go to the next BOE meeting and voice our opinion

Buzzy and crazed? That's original but that's not me. I like your user name because it's original too. The freedoms we have in this country, aren't they wonderful? I'm just stating an opposing point of view, a view that I feel very strongly about. I am a parent of a Kearny student so I see the kids in town going to/from the public schools every day. I agree that the kids I see appear to be happy and well adjusted with their own personalities and looks. I would hope so because they're kids. Why shouldn't they be? Kids are supposed to be happy and well adjusted. The point here is that you list "Different styles of hair cuts, shoes, back packs, clothing etc." Clothing???? Doesn't this statement support my opposition to uniforms? The uniform policy doesn't cover outer clothing so long as it isn't a hooded sweatshirt. Maybe that's why the kids are happy. They can still select and choose their own hair cuts, shoes, and back packs. These items are not part of the uniform policy, at least not yet anyway. Maybe they're happy because they still have a choice regarding their outer clothing, for the time being as well. Like I indicated, they're kids and their supposed to be happy.

I am a supporter of a dress code because they have been deemed legal in court cases wheras uniform codes have not. Dress codes violate our Constitutional rights. The school system had a dress code in place for years but the school administration at the time didn't enforce it. A child not being able to wear a hooded sweatshirt to school is ridiculous. Why should parents have to spend extra money to buy "mandatory" uniform items so their children can attend public schools that they are legally entitled to attend for free. Our property taxes allow our children to attend the school system, that's the cost for the entitlement. Having vendors who are charging up to $20.00 each for uniform shirts and more for fleece or sweatshirts with the school emblem is outrageous. Parents have to pay these fees for their children, which can now cost up to a few hundred dollars if they have multiple children attending schools.

I like your statement, "Save your stand up for your rights speech for another day." Today is another day and tomorrow will be another day too as long as my rights are concerned. I would hope that the kids stay fine. If they don't learn about individuality and their need to stand up and assert their rights now, they will never make it in the real world. The next uniforms that they could be wearing could be issued by McDonalds or even worse, the NJ Department of Corrections and I am not talking about employment as officers.

The current BOE needs to take another look at this issue and give the Constitutional issues a serious review.

Get off the computer and do your homework or you'll never get out of 10th grade.

Get a grip. The kids are not allowed to wear hooded sweatshirts during the school day. They can wear them to school, but they cannot wear them during school. If your children are cold, they can wear long sleeved shirts under the uniform shirt, or even a sweatshirt with no hood under the shirt. At KHS it's pretty damn scary when you see these big boys walking around in school with their hoods on. No, it's not allowed and I agree.

OK, so let me get this straight. Its OK to violate student's civil rights because you're scared??? Big boys attend KHS. Little boys attend elementary school. So wearing uniforms makes these big boys walking around in school less scary? Get a grip.

It is NOT a dress code for outer wear. The children are not allowed to wear their outer wear IN school. No jackets, coats, sweatshirts are allowed OVER the uniform shirt. Health issue. Kids get overheated in the classrooms and for the most part don't need another layer of clothing. I have taught in 3 of the 6 elementary schools in Kearny and have NEVER been too cold in a classroom during the winter months - quite the opposite, it's usually too warm!

You people are complaining about buying a 10 dollar shirt. If there were no uniforms you would be paying that anyway for regular clothes. I think you people who are quoting the constitution actually need to really read it, instead of assuming it affords you all these rights. Going to public school for free is a right, choosing what it deemed appropriate to wear is not your RIGHT under the constitution. It falls under the same category as every other clothing argument. You can't go to school in a bikini for obvious reasons. However if it was a RIGHT in the constitution like you people are crying about , you would be able too. I really wish people would do some educated research before posting things. It makes me think the posters should be attending school again with their children.

The hoodie ban was done for the simple fact that the students were wearing them to alter the appearance of the uniform.

It was not because they were cold, in fact if anyone was ever in the High School in the winter its always warm. The

children are not banned from wearing them to school, they can not wear them all day while in school.

You people are complaining about buying a 10 dollar shirt. If there were no uniforms you would be paying that anyway for regular clothes. I think you people who are quoting the constitution actually need to really read it, instead of assuming it affords you all these rights. Going to public school for free is a right, choosing what it deemed appropriate to wear is not your RIGHT under the constitution. It falls under the same category as every other clothing argument. You can't go to school in a bikini for obvious reasons. However if it was a RIGHT in the constitution like you people are crying about , you would be able too. I really wish people would do some educated research before posting things. It makes me think the posters should be attending school again with their children.

Maybe you should do a little more reading about the Constitution yourself. You should have done some educated research before posting your responses. I don't assume it affords rights, I know it does. If you were a little more knowledgible, then you would know that the US Supreme Court has the final say interpreting the Constitution. Their decisions, in fact, become law. As such, in the 1969 court case, "Tinker v. Des Moines Independent Community School District", the United States Supreme Court established the principle that a student’s appearance falls under First and Fourteenth Amendment protection. This decision didn't expire, it still has the effect of law 40 years later. The policy enacted by the Kearny Board of Education and revised recently infringes on both freedoms by restricting a child’s right to express themselves and their individuality through their attire. The uniform policy also restricts our rights as parents to make decisions about issues for our children based upon their best interests and not because of “popular opinion.”

Someone else wrote that the hoodie ban was done for the simple fact that the students were wearing them to alter the appearance of the uniform. My point is that if the students really support a uniform policy, why then are so many students trying to put their own, individualized spin on it. I see all attempts by the administration to curtail this "individualism" as the violation of the First Amendment.

OK, so let me get this straight. Its OK to violate student's civil rights because you're scared??? Big boys attend KHS. Little boys attend elementary school. So wearing uniforms makes these big boys walking around in school less scary? Get a grip.

Actually, yes, it makes them a lot less scary. Uniforms, by the way, also started because not all, but a lot of today's parents don't like to say no to their kids and the kids were a disgrace going to school in all sorts of clothing and very, very little clothing. So, yes, to answer your question, it's ok to violate their rights because I'm scared!

Guest Scary Hoodie Monster
Actually, yes, it makes them a lot less scary. Uniforms, by the way, also started because not all, but a lot of today's parents don't like to say no to their kids and the kids were a disgrace going to school in all sorts of clothing and very, very little clothing. So, yes, to answer your question, it's ok to violate their rights because I'm scared!

What's next, armed security? If you're so scared, why get out of bed in the morning? Stay under the blankets or else the closet monster will eat you! People seem to confuse a dress code with a uniform code. You appear to be one of them. Dress codes address inappropriate clothing for schools without violating anyone's rights. They have withstood challenges in court and have been deemed enforceable. Uniform codes violate Constitution rights. Why didn't the Kearny school district enforce its own dress code? It was in place since the high school has been in existence. Uniforms were just easier. Apparently you weren't near the high school on the first day of class. Talk about "little clothing". I didn't know Daisy Dukes were part of the uniform or that they were allowed. Some girls have taken the initiative to energize their uniforms. The administration must be getting older and their eyesight must be getting worse. I don't know how they could miss it.

The hoodie ban was done for the simple fact that the students were wearing them to alter the appearance of the uniform.

It was not because they were cold, in fact if anyone was ever in the High School in the winter its always warm. The

children are not banned from wearing them to school, they can not wear them all day while in school.

The hoodie ban was done because the administrations didn't want the kids wearing the hoods up. All they had to do was ask them to stop. If the kids didn't, give a detention. As far as the high school being too warm, it depends on what part of the building you are in. My kids tell me that some classes are too cold and others are too warm.

What's next, armed security? If you're so scared, why get out of bed in the morning? Stay under the blankets or else the closet monster will eat you! People seem to confuse a dress code with a uniform code. You appear to be one of them. Dress codes address inappropriate clothing for schools without violating anyone's rights. They have withstood challenges in court and have been deemed enforceable. Uniform codes violate Constitution rights. Why didn't the Kearny school district enforce its own dress code? It was in place since the high school has been in existence. Uniforms were just easier. Apparently you weren't near the high school on the first day of class. Talk about "little clothing". I didn't know Daisy Dukes were part of the uniform or that they were allowed. Some girls have taken the initiative to energize their uniforms. The administration must be getting older and their eyesight must be getting worse. I don't know how they could miss it.

Because I do confront my fears and don't allow allow myself not to live even if something frightens me. You mean to tell me there is nothing in this world that you fear? You shouldn't make fun of someone like that. There are many reasons today to fear being in a building with very little security. It's only a matter of time before something really bad happens at KHS due to the nature of our society and I plan to be prepared instead of thinking it will never happen. I was there the 1st day of school and saw the same thing you did. Supposedly Daisy Dukes is not allowed, but whose stopping it?

Because I do confront my fears and don't allow allow myself not to live even if something frightens me. You mean to tell me there is nothing in this world that you fear? You shouldn't make fun of someone like that. There are many reasons today to fear being in a building with very little security. It's only a matter of time before something really bad happens at KHS due to the nature of our society and I plan to be prepared instead of thinking it will never happen. I was there the 1st day of school and saw the same thing you did. Supposedly Daisy Dukes is not allowed, but whose stopping it?

Everyone has fears, including me. But forcing others to change because you have fears is wrong. I wasn't making fun of you personally. It was just my attempt at a little sarcastic humor to prove my point. Uniforms do not make the school safer.

Maybe you should do a little more reading about the Constitution yourself. You should have done some educated research before posting your responses. I don't assume it affords rights, I know it does. If you were a little more knowledgible, then you would know that the US Supreme Court has the final say interpreting the Constitution. Their decisions, in fact, become law. As such, in the 1969 court case, "Tinker v. Des Moines Independent Community School District", the United States Supreme Court established the principle that a student’s appearance falls under First and Fourteenth Amendment protection. This decision didn't expire, it still has the effect of law 40 years later. The policy enacted by the Kearny Board of Education and revised recently infringes on both freedoms by restricting a child’s right to express themselves and their individuality through their attire. The uniform policy also restricts our rights as parents to make decisions about issues for our children based upon their best interests and not because of “popular opinion.”

Someone else wrote that the hoodie ban was done for the simple fact that the students were wearing them to alter the appearance of the uniform. My point is that if the students really support a uniform policy, why then are so many students trying to put their own, individualized spin on it. I see all attempts by the administration to curtail this "individualism" as the violation of the First Amendment.

ok, so send your daughter to school in a two piece bikini...and then see how far your case goes in court....even the aclu wouldn't take your case..

Guest KHS Parent

I too was at the High school on the first day of school, I did see the girls walking in with their Daisy Duke shorts. What was done about it? NOTHING thats what. My child has gone through the school and is now a senior and she follows the dress code. But I do see many of the kids going into school with clothes that are not supposed to be worn. Again in todays society the good kids always gets punished for the ones that do not listen. ALSO My child tells me that she is cold in school during the winter months so I agree the should be able to wear a hoodie that most children do wear to keep them warm. It should not have to cost us money to buy a hoodie with a logo when I am sure most kids like mine have more than one hoodie at home. I agree that hoodie rule is crazy.

ok, so send your daughter to school in a two piece bikini...and then see how far your case goes in court....even the aclu wouldn't take your case..

True, very true. I didn't know that bikinis would have been allowed under the previous dress code. Hoodies vs bikinis. There really is no comparison.