Murder / Robbery in Kearny

Guest garboP

Guest Bob P.

AND OF COURSE THE OBSERVER HAS NOTHING ON THIS. LISA, YOU CALL YOUR RAG A NEWSPAPER? YOU CAN'T EVEN POST THE BIGGEST NEWS STORY OF THE YEAR TO YOUR WEB SITE. YOU AND YOUR STAFF ARE WORTHLESS!

AND OF COURSE THE OBSERVER HAS NOTHING ON THIS. LISA, YOU CALL YOUR RAG A NEWSPAPER? YOU CAN'T EVEN POST THE BIGGEST NEWS STORY OF THE YEAR TO YOUR WEB SITE. YOU AND YOUR STAFF ARE WORTHLESS!

The Observer did cover the story on Celeste Regal's blog. click here

Our condolences to the family and friends.

The Observer did cover the story on Celeste Regal's blog. click here

Our condolences to the family and friends.

HORRIBLE ....Just Horrible what has happened....My prayers to the family and condolences...I hope they catch the animals that did this, lock them up and throw away the key..

Don't get your panties in a twist, the Observer is actually printed on Monday evening for tuesday afternoon delivery.

Where were the cameras that are in front of town hall???????

While I think this incident was random and unfortunately happened too fast for police to respond to save the man who was murdered, where is our town leadership on this issue? It's been a few days and so far there's no word from the mayor and town council about this. Is the mayor hiding from this? Wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. Because instead of calming the residents down, addressing fears and letting us know that the police are doing their job to make sure something like this doesn't happen again, it's just easier to avoid it.

There was a robbery at the Jewelry Store across from the town hall in Kearny this morning. The owner was killed.

MY SINCEREST CONDOLENSCES TO THE FAMILY OF RACHEL JEWELRY, THIS IS CERTAINLY A TRAVESTY. GEE I WONDER WHY THIS HAPPENS? COULD IT BE THAT THERE IS AN ARMY OF COPS WORKING THE AFTERNOON TIME STOPPING CARS AND RUNNING EVRYONE FOR UNPAID WARRANTS AND AS USUAL THE OTHER TWO SHIFTS HAVE NO ONE? MAYBE ITS TIME FOR THE CHIEF TO STEP DOWN HE HAS BEEN THERE TOO LONG AND IT SEEMS THAT HIS TACTICS ARE USELESS . WHAT A SHAME THAT THIS TOWN IS NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE. YOU CANNOT BLAME THE OFFICERS ON THE SHIFT THERE IS ONLY SO MUCH YOU CAN DO WITH A THREE OFFICERS, BUT FOCUS ON THE LEADERSHIP!! NO MORE EXCUSES MR. SANTOS HOLD THEM ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR JOBS!!! THEY SURE WERE SCREAMING FOR MONEY WHEN A DEPUTY CHIEF WAS BEING CUT BUT WHEN IT COMES TO THIS THEY ARE VERY QUIET. PLEASE MR. MAYOR IMPRESS US ALL AND DEMAND ANSWERS!! YOU ARE "THE COMMANDER IN CHIEF"" ALMOST ALL OF THE OFFICERS DO NOT LIVE IN TOWN SO DONT WORRY ABOUT VOTES AND DO WHAT THE PEOPLE EXPECT YOU TO DO!! ONCE AGAIN HOLD THEM ACCOUNTABLE AND DEMAND ANSWERS FROM THE CHIEF AND DEPUTY CHIEFS!! ITS TIME FOR A POLICE DIRECTOR!!

Guest concerned
MY SINCEREST CONDOLENSCES TO THE FAMILY OF RACHEL JEWELRY, THIS IS CERTAINLY A TRAVESTY. GEE I WONDER WHY THIS HAPPENS? COULD IT BE THAT THERE IS AN ARMY OF COPS WORKING THE AFTERNOON TIME STOPPING CARS AND RUNNING EVRYONE FOR UNPAID WARRANTS AND AS USUAL THE OTHER TWO SHIFTS HAVE NO ONE? MAYBE ITS TIME FOR THE CHIEF TO STEP DOWN HE HAS BEEN THERE TOO LONG AND IT SEEMS THAT HIS TACTICS ARE USELESS . WHAT A SHAME THAT THIS TOWN IS NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE. YOU CANNOT BLAME THE OFFICERS ON THE SHIFT THERE IS ONLY SO MUCH YOU CAN DO WITH A THREE OFFICERS, BUT FOCUS ON THE LEADERSHIP!! NO MORE EXCUSES MR. SANTOS HOLD THEM ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR JOBS!!! THEY SURE WERE SCREAMING FOR MONEY WHEN A DEPUTY CHIEF WAS BEING CUT BUT WHEN IT COMES TO THIS THEY ARE VERY QUIET. PLEASE MR. MAYOR IMPRESS US ALL AND DEMAND ANSWERS!! YOU ARE "THE COMMANDER IN CHIEF"" ALMOST ALL OF THE OFFICERS DO NOT LIVE IN TOWN SO DONT WORRY ABOUT VOTES AND DO WHAT THE PEOPLE EXPECT YOU TO DO!! ONCE AGAIN HOLD THEM ACCOUNTABLE AND DEMAND ANSWERS FROM THE CHIEF AND DEPUTY CHIEFS!! ITS TIME FOR A POLICE DIRECTOR!!

Do you think that you can do a better job? Then why don't you try to be in every place at every time. It can't be done. Things happen and we hope for the best, but the police can not be everywhere, all the time. I think our chief is doing a great job. Unfortunately, we can't prevent something as unpredictable as an armed robbery.

Do you think that you can do a better job? Then why don't you try to be in every place at every time. It can't be done. Things happen and we hope for the best, but the police can not be everywhere, all the time. I think our chief is doing a great job. Unfortunately, we can't prevent something as unpredictable as an armed robbery.

I agree with you in one aspect, police cannot be everywhere at every time, but I agree with the previous comment :hold the chief accountable! Dont we have 120 officers in this town?(give or take) why are there only three on that shift? We sure pay enough taxes, how about some of it coming in the form of protection. Yes they cannot be everywhere but this is not Harrison , this is Kearny , we have enough cops!! We dont need to be shortchanged! I also disagree with your comment that the chief is doing a great job, is this why I see the cops sipping coffe at the Riviera every afternoon, sometimes four and five sitting together? You must be related to a police officer because it looks as if someone struck a nerve. Wake up !! times are changing in this town and not for the better.

Guest very concerned

the chief is not doing a great job. barely doing a good job. the chief has political agendas and is more worried about lesser significant things than protecting citizens. the police investigate and make arrests on meaningless crimes while greater quality of life issues go unnoticed. chief dowie has been there too long, time for a change, there are other police higher ups with better people skills and who would prioritize real crime and produce better quality of life for the entire town

your a moron if you think that crime could have been avoided...they did it right across from town hall. you could have had 100 cops working and the murder still would have happend. the only way it could have been prevented is if a cop was posted in the store..which everyone knows cannot be done.

and to the poster, who cries about the kearny police locking up people with warrants...are you kidding me? so we should just let these people walk around town? they do that in other towns..and it works out real well for them...just look at newark, east orange and irvington...maybe thats the way you want kearny to turn out. cause while you think its a waste of time, criminals know if they are walking around kearny , the police are going to stop them and warrant check them.

Guest comedian

And who are "these people"? sounds like a racial profiling situation to me. good ole' Kearny, some things never change.

and to the poster, who cries about the kearny police locking up people with warrants...are you kidding me? so we should just let these people walk around town? they do that in other towns..and it works out real well for them...just look at newark, east orange and irvington...maybe thats the way you want kearny to turn out. cause while you think its a waste of time, criminals know if they are walking around kearny , the police are going to stop them and warrant check them.

your a moron if you think that crime could have been avoided...they did it right across from town hall. you could have had 100 cops working and the murder still would have happend. the only way it could have been prevented is if a cop was posted in the store..which everyone knows cannot be done.

Dear sir you are as ignorant as you sound. Take a good look around town !! When was the last time that you felt safe walking Kearny ave ?? Why dont you stand in front of the library in the afternoon and tell me how that works out for you. Crime can be avoided !! There are latin kings in this town, bloods , and what are we doing? Absolutely nothing!! Why dont you try and find how many break-ins there have been in town, stolen vehicles, assaults, so forth and so on and then say your ignorant comment of the crime cant be avoided. Dear Sir the problem is that their effectiveness is almost none existent. Now please dont reply saying that I can do a better job, there are more qualified officers to take charge of the police department other than the chief who has lost all touch with reality. How about changing the hierarchy in the police dept. I sometimes speak to the officers and you can telll how frustrated they are but fear of persecution makes silent and this in turn provides low morale. Low Morale Dear sir leads to officers collecting a paycheck and going home without giving at least 50% of their worth. We have some great officers in Kearny and some of the bravest but they are nothing without a chief, and these days the chief is nothing. As for Kearny turning out like East Orange, Irvington, Newark my Dear Sir, we are almost there. I am a lifelong resident in this town and its sad to say but I am afraid sometimes walking the avenue around five or six because it almost feels that I am in another town, not the Kearny where I grew up. So please Dear Sir once again I implore you to look around and tell me is this our Kearny? An with this I do not mean the ethnicity of the people, but instead the bad element that has created roots in this town within the last five years and that is here to stay. Criminals do walk around Kearny everyday and it seems that it is more prevalent now than it has ever been. The police has to change in order for the town to change into the town that it was and this will not happen if the chief keeps ignoring the problem.

And who are "these people"? sounds like a racial profiling situation to me. good ole' Kearny, some things never change.

Ugh, can you even read? quote " people with warrants"...sounds like your one of hte people who usually has warrants, then gets mad when the police lock you up...

• 3 weeks later...
the chief is not doing a great job. barely doing a good job. the chief has political agendas and is more worried about lesser significant things than protecting citizens. the police investigate and make arrests on meaningless crimes while greater quality of life issues go unnoticed. chief dowie has been there too long, time for a change, there are other police higher ups with better people skills and who would prioritize real crime and produce better quality of life for the entire town

In hindsight how dumb is this statement now. Honestly I like the police arresting people that do”meaningless” crimes because it keeps the jerk off the street. As far as the murder, they know who the guys are, they caught one of them and it only a matter of time that they catch the other two. Look everyone was angry and the facts were not known, but I think the department did a good job with this case and I hope the chief stay with us for a long time.

In hindsight how dumb is this statement now. Honestly I like the police arresting people that do”meaningless” crimes because it keeps the jerk off the street. As far as the murder, they know who the guys are, they caught one of them and it only a matter of time that they catch the other two. Look everyone was angry and the facts were not known, but I think the department did a good job with this case and I hope the chief stay with us for a long time.

Looking at the statement you Quoted, it's pretty plain to see that there are politics involved allright, jut the internal politics of someone who isnt getting what he or she wants from Dowie, and figured their patron being chief will get them what they want. Sad to see that the same nonsense that is happening in the Harrison forum may be leaking into ours.

Yup, just read Celeste's blog. Every great news story begins with the word "I."

She is truly a sad and pathetic individual that has nothing to write about but whom kisses her behind and false stories that she runs with. Certainly people have no use for this paper that has only become worst since this Celest person came in. Mr. T's daughter should realize that this is going nowehere bring back the gentleman that spoke real news with real meaning and honesty.