Illegal Apartments

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

I am outraged over the ineffectiveness of the Town to battle illegal apartments. I have written numerous letters to various departments and the mayor and council, but they have not addressed those concerns. The mayor and council are not helping the citizens of Kearny and need to go. There are 2 pages of ads for legal apartments, where taxpayers are losing money because of vacant apartments. The mayor and council need to implement tougher regulations on these illegal basement apartments like other towns. For example a fine of like $10,000 and give $1,000 to the person who reported them. This would both rid and deter people from renting apartments in basements and earn money for the town to reduce taxes. I, alone know about 5 houses who have illegal apartments. That is a total of $50,000 for the town for just 1 small street. If the town council and mayor were smart, this is a great idea to implement as it would HELP the taxpayers in earning money for their vacant apartments and reducing the HIGH taxes. Hopefully, they will listen as I will continue to write letters which will probably be ignored because the town council and mayor DO NOT LISTEN TO THEIR CONSTITUENTS. WE NEED REAL CHANGE and the first thing to go is SANTOS!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Keith
I am outraged over the ineffectiveness of the Town to battle illegal apartments. I have written numerous letters to various departments and the mayor and council, but they have not addressed those concerns. The mayor and council are not helping the citizens of Kearny and need to go. There are 2 pages of ads for legal apartments, where taxpayers are losing money because of vacant apartments. The mayor and council need to implement tougher regulations on these illegal basement apartments like other towns. For example a fine of like $10,000 and give $1,000 to the person who reported them. This would both rid and deter people from renting apartments in basements and earn money for the town to reduce taxes. I, alone know about 5 houses who have illegal apartments. That is a total of $50,000 for the town for just 1 small street. If the town council and mayor were smart, this is a great idea to implement as it would HELP the taxpayers in earning money for their vacant apartments and reducing the HIGH taxes. Hopefully, they will listen as I will continue to write letters which will probably be ignored because the town council and mayor DO NOT LISTEN TO THEIR CONSTITUENTS. WE NEED REAL CHANGE and the first thing to go is SANTOS!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, if someone want to rent out thier basement to make some extra $$$ why should it be any of your business?

Guest Guest

This is really weak, if you really feel that there are illegal apartments post a little more detail not just some vague details. If the mayor and council don’t respond to your letter / emails then have the observer do an article on it, show them proof of course. Kearny resident have to stop whining about stuff and actually do something. If you think there are illegal apartment, insurance fraud like the other post, email the mayor or the chief of police. If they don’t respond ask for a Request for Public Records (OPRA), and bring it up to the council so that the responds can be record in meeting and explain why they didn’t act. What really musty go are whiners, if you want to make this a better place, then do something about it. I see no leader or candidate even try to solve these problems or any other problems.

Guest Guest
Hey, if someone want to rent out thier basement to make some extra $$$ why should it be any of your business?

Idiot, if they're rent out their basement and not doing it legally your messing up the town. Look around where do you think all the parking spaces are going. If they have kids where do you think your tax payer money is going (remember 50% goes to the school) . Also you need to increase tax for the extra people that the town has to support.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest *june bug smith*
Idiot, if they're rent out their basement and not doing it legally your messing up the town. Look around where do you think all the parking spaces are going. If they have kids where do you think your tax payer money is going (remember 50% goes to the school) . Also you need to increase tax for the extra people that the town has to support.

This is really weak, if you really feel that there are illegal apartments post a little more detail not just some vague details. If the mayor and council don’t respond to your letter / emails then have the observer do an article on it, show them proof of course. Kearny resident have to stop whining about stuff and actually do something. If you think there are illegal apartment, insurance fraud like the other post, email the mayor or the chief of police. If they don’t respond ask for a Request for Public Records (OPRA), and bring it up to the council so that the responds can be record in meeting and explain why they didn’t act. What really musty go are whiners, if you want to make this a better place, then do something about it. I see no leader or candidate even try to solve these problems or any other problems.

The original poster of this thread is right you know. Illegal apartments abound in Kearny with no one in town government giving a hoot/ I've complained to the mayor and town council repeatedly, I've written letters and phone calls to the building inspectors office all to no avail.On my street alone there's several buildings. I have one family whose running their 1 family home as a rooming house where they rent out in both the attic and basement. A 2 family with an attic apartment with only 1 means of access/egress, A 2 family with a basement apartment again only 1 means of access/egress. Go 2 blocks down and you have 2 Two family houses both with basement apartments.The Chief of Police and Fire department have bothing to do with illegal apartments,

This falls straight to the building inspector, and the various building code officials for things such as wiring and plumbing. Fines are already in place against the homeowner. Should an illegal aprtment be dicovered and the tenant evicted the homeowner Must pay the tenant 6x the total rent. If I give you $1000.00 in rent and get caught you must pay me $6000.00

More illegal apartments = more votes ....more votes = more Mayor Santos......more Mayor Santos = more illegal apartments. Viscious cycle isn't it????

Not the brightest one, are you?

Do you really think that people who live in illegal apartments are going to register to vote, having to give their address as part of their registration? They won't because they don't want to attract attention.

Guest kearny resident

yeah that's great....let's get a bunch of families thrown out on the street. Even better, let's have the landlord pay a fine and distribute some of the money to the "tattle tell" who decided that it was their business who lives where....

Times must really be getting tough when people are willing to throw their neighbors under the bus to make a quick dollar cuz they are doing the "right thing"

Keep writing your letters to the town and to the observer. Once your "plan" goes into effect you can sit back and collect your money from all the good you do. Once you finish that you write your letters about how your neighbor's grass is to big because the home is in foreclosure cuz the mortgage wasn't getting paid on time. Oh and you can get a blackberry so you can multi-task and do that while your out on your illegal apartment crusade...

Have you heard? The EPA is paying 1500 for reports of illegal dumping. Maybe you can go hide in the bush's on the entrance ramp before the north arlington exit on 21 and see who keeps dumping there......you'll def make tons more than those illegal apartments you know about.....

yeah that's great....let's get a bunch of families thrown out on the street. Even better, let's have the landlord pay a fine and distribute some of the money to the "tattle tell" who decided that it was their business who lives where....

Times must really be getting tough when people are willing to throw their neighbors under the bus to make a quick dollar cuz they are doing the "right thing"

Keep writing your letters to the town and to the observer. Once your "plan" goes into effect you can sit back and collect your money from all the good you do. Once you finish that you write your letters about how your neighbor's grass is to big because the home is in foreclosure cuz the mortgage wasn't getting paid on time. Oh and you can get a blackberry so you can multi-task and do that while your out on your illegal apartment crusade...

Have you heard? The EPA is paying 1500 for reports of illegal dumping. Maybe you can go hide in the bush's on the entrance ramp before the north arlington exit on 21 and see who keeps dumping there......you'll def make tons more than those illegal apartments you know about.....

Are you crazy? Do you know what damage illegal housing does to this town? I guess you never worked in government. Look I can see your point of them kicking out families being kind of heartless but that so far from the true it’s not even funny. If you think a family of 4 is doing well in an attic or basement you must be out of your mind. Most illegal apartment here are completely under code, they pose a risk to the home owner and the tenants.

Look at your taxes, why do you think we’re paying so much? 50% of our taxes goes to the school, so every kid that’s crammed in those attic apartment cost you money. Add that fact that most of them are illegal, you have a whole community of people not paying tax yet get the benefits from our taxes. Parking here is also a problem, where do you think all the cars are coming from? For the comment of foreclosures, look we are in a recession and a lot of people really over extend them self’s. Most of the people that had foreclosed house here were paying more than 50 % of their salary for a mortgage, that was just plain crazy.

You are probably one of those landlords based on what you said. WHat is it with Kearny residents that they don't understand with the word ILLEGAL. If they want to rent their basements, make it a three family house and pay their share of the taxes. Don't you read the Observer and see all those LEGAL apartments that are for rent.

Complaining about or reporting illegal apartments is not being a tattle-tale. Illegal apartments are, well, illegal. There are building codes for a reason. These apartments violate those codes. Be stupid and defend them, but wait until some building -- meant for one family but has five living in it -- goes on fire and all those people get killed because IT WASN'T SAFE FOR ALL OF THEM TO BE LIVING THERE.

Not the brightest one, are you?

Do you really think that people who live in illegal apartments are going to register to vote, having to give their address as part of their registration? They won't because they don't want to attract attention.

Yeah ok...and if you believe that then you seem a little dim...don't you!!

Complaining about or reporting illegal apartments is not being a tattle-tale. Illegal apartments are, well, illegal. There are building codes for a reason. These apartments violate those codes. Be stupid and defend them, but wait until some building -- meant for one family but has five living in it -- goes on fire and all those people get killed because IT WASN'T SAFE FOR ALL OF THEM TO BE LIVING THERE.

Had that happen in a 2 family down the street from me about 3 years ago. The owner of a 2 family was in the process of " Digging" out his basement to create additional living space. Due to the illegal activity the house caught fire and burned to the ground, the KFD removed from this " 2" family house 28 mattress's.

Had that happen in a 2 family down the street from me about 3 years ago. The owner of a 2 family was in the process of " Digging" out his basement to create additional living space. Due to the illegal activity the house caught fire and burned to the ground, the KFD removed from this " 2" family house 28 mattress's.

Then the people of Kearny wonder why there taxes are so high lol.

• 4 weeks later...

This isn't a new issue, these illegal apartments have been around for the last 30 years. While I agree that it does hurt our town, crying to Mayor Santos isn't going to correct the issue.

Why hasn't any candidate address this issue?

What would you like them to say? The town spends money on services that people need. This is what they cost. The town calculates the population, the property values, etc., and that gives you the tax rate. They have no other choice. Unless you can specify cuts, stop whining.