Miracle on the Hudson

Guest Patriot

Well you see, NumbNuts, I draw my impression of atheists from a hateful, malicious and mean-spirited atheist wretch named Michael Newdow. I won't recite all the hateful things he's tried to do, I'm sure you're aware of most of them. I don't consider Newdow and those like him "fellow Americans".

Oh, please recite them! I want to know! I want to know what Michael Newdow has done to you personally that you would not only judge him but anyone else who holds a similar belief system. What "hateful" things has he tried to do? Ask for fair treatment under the Constitution? How dare he! I am sure any "true" Christian would be appalled by your bigotry and your prejudice toward others. I am thankful that I do not clump all Christians in the same category as you do with people. You are truly unbelievable with the things you say. Like it or not, Michael Newdow is a fellow American just by the fact that he was born and lives in this country. You're going to find a lot of people in your life that you don't agree with. That does not make them less American. How dare you even call yourself a Christian with the kind of behavior you exhibit.

I was happy that he acknowledged us. At least he recognizes that we are entitled to be acknowledged.

The term "non-believer" is unfortunate. It's a little like the term "darkie." No one is a non-believer. We all believe in something. We non-theists just don't believe in ancient stories about gods.

But that's OK. Progress is always slow. In his debates with Stephen Douglas, Abraham Lincoln "acknowledged" that "Negroes" would never be the white man's equal. People like me who don't believe that ancient stories should set the limits of knowledge have a just cause. Meanwhile, we're not in slavery or forced to avert our eyes and walk in the gutter whenever a Christian passes or forced to accept less money for the same work. As with President Obama, our time will come.

I certainly hope and believe our time will come. Who would have thought even 30 years ago that someone like Obama could win the Presidency. I am hopeful that this generation will toss away hatred and bigotry and learn to value our common humanity. That's really all we got going for us. As a woman, I have seen so many changes in my lifetime regarding the equal rights and equal treatment of women. My grandmother could remember when women could not vote. It's amazing what we have accomplished in just a couple of hundred years. How can anyone want to slow down progress when they have seen what America has done in such a short time?

Actually it is. President Obama has the right to call on God's help if he wants to. I would prefer he didn't, but he's not forcing anyone by doing that.

I remained seated during both the Canadian and US national anthems at a hockey game the other night. I also refused to applaud when they put the video of a soldier attending the game that recently returned from Iraq on the video display.

Am I a hero yet?

Guest Patriot
I remained seated during both the Canadian and US national anthems at a hockey game the other night. I also refused to applaud when they put the video of a soldier attending the game that recently returned from Iraq on the video display.

Am I a hero yet?

I know who you are, you're Paul/Kris the Humanist.

Am I a hero yet?

No, you're just being a jerk. To be a hero you have to understand why you're doing it and you have to be sincere.

Guest Lincoln Logger
I was happy that he acknowledged us. At least he recognizes that we are entitled to be acknowledged.

The term "non-believer" is unfortunate. It's a little like the term "darkie." No one is a non-believer. We all believe in something. We non-theists just don't believe in ancient stories about gods.

But that's OK. Progress is always slow. In his debates with Stephen Douglas, Abraham Lincoln "acknowledged" that "Negroes" would never be the white man's equal. People like me who don't believe that ancient stories should set the limits of knowledge have a just cause. Meanwhile, we're not in slavery or forced to avert our eyes and walk in the gutter whenever a Christian passes or forced to accept less money for the same work. As with President Obama, our time will come.

You pay someone enough money and of course they will recognize you. Someone wise once said if we forget the past we are doomed to the future. Guess what Paul? The future is here and we are doomed. Thanks alot for your donation.

No, you're just being a jerk. To be a hero you have to understand why you're doing it and you have to be sincere.

And of course no one understands this except you, Paul, and Matt.

And of course no one understands this except you, Paul, and Matt.

No, millions of people in this country alone understand it. That's why Matthew won so many awards from organizations like People for the American Way, the Anti-Defamation League and the ACLU.

You can't stand the fact that the kid was right, so you have to invent some idiotic excuse for your point of view. Problem is, you don't think before you write and you don't check your facts. So you say things that aren't true and are easily proved to be not true.

A hero doesn't look for a cause.

No one said they do. But every hero has a cause. The soldier who jumps on a grenade to save his buddies - his buddies and the military unit and his country are the causes. The firefighters who ran into the WTC when it was burning - duty and the lives of innocent people were their causes. If you're (still) referring to Matthew, he told you what his causes were: freedom of the individual mind and fundamental principles of our country, like the right to think.

You just don't want to hear it. So like always you make a remark without thinking about what you're writing.

You pay someone enough money and of course they will recognize you. Someone wise once said if we forget the past we are doomed to the future. Guess what Paul? The future is here and we are doomed. Thanks alot for your donation.

President Obama's mother was secular. He has experienced religious diversity firsthand, in his own family. The evidence says that he understands the importance of religious diversity and the right of each individual to make up his own mind, and that he respects the non-believer as much as anyone else.

Yet again, you don't like it so you make a remark with no evidence behind it and without thinking about it. You just say it because if it was true it would support your narrow view of the world. But it's not true. Not that you care.

And as if that isn't bad enough, you're saying that non-believers shouldn't even be recognized in their own country. I don't think you understand what being an American means. Fortunately and at long last, we seem to have a president who does.

No one said they do. But every hero has a cause. The soldier who jumps on a grenade to save his buddies - his buddies and the military unit and his country are the causes. The firefighters who ran into the WTC when it was burning - duty and the lives of innocent people were their causes. If you're (still) referring to Matthew, he told you what his causes were: freedom of the individual mind and fundamental principles of our country, like the right to think.

You just don't want to hear it. So like always you make a remark without thinking about what you're writing.

Keep telling yourself that.

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder if there were any atheists on the plane that ditched in the Hudson. And I wonder if there were, did they find God and start praying like every Christian on board was doing. That's the falacy of atheism, when they're suddenly confronted with a deadly situation they ask God to save them.

Pardon me, but if no one dying on the plane is a miracle, what is the incredibly-unlikely occurrence that made it CRASH in the first place?

If God gets credit for no deaths, then God also takes the blame for the crash itself. You can't have it both ways. Personally, I find it utterly ridiculous to call this a "miracle" to begin with. It's kind of like when the Pope got shot, then called it a miracle that he survived (even though what really did it was the team of doctors working around the clock, of course). One would THINK that if God was going to have a hand in preserving the man's life, he'd have made the bullet miss completely.

But that's what I get for trying to make sense of theism.

Just trying to make the loony atheists see the error of their ways.

You believe that a guy lived a few millenia ago who could walk on water, heal diseases with a touch, bring people back to life including himself, feed thousands of people with a few pieces of food, and that despite all this NOT A SINGLE PERSON WROTE A SINGLE WORD ABOUT HIS LIFE UNTIL 40+ YEARS AFTER IT ENDED, and you want to call ATHEISTS loony?

Are you out of your mind?

Guest Wine and Roses
You believe that a guy lived a few millenia ago who could walk on water, heal diseases with a touch, bring people back to life including himself, feed thousands of people with a few pieces of food, and that despite all this NOT A SINGLE PERSON WROTE A SINGLE WORD ABOUT HIS LIFE UNTIL 40+ YEARS AFTER IT ENDED, and you want to call ATHEISTS loony?

Are you out of your mind?

Two millennia. Talk was cheaper my friend. Those were the days ............. we thought they'd never end.