How Do You Do It?

Guest *speedy1*

Guest *speedy1*

Can someone please tell me how do people do it, my daughter as of this year has four children in school, the cost of the uniforms was overwhelming, now here come the fundraisers, then on Tusday, they got forms for school pictures! My daughter and son in law both work, but like anyone else they have financial responsibilties. But this is too much, for pictures they want $90 for the four children combined, the pressure put on the children to sell the fundraiser, and the they brought home forms to buy books, come on, this is only the second full week of school what's next? I would like to know how other parents do it without going broke.

Can someone please tell me how do people do it, my daughter as of this year has four children in school, the cost of the uniforms was overwhelming, now here come the fundraisers, then on Tusday, they got forms for school pictures! My daughter and son in law both work, but like anyone else they have financial responsibilties. But this is too much, for pictures they want $90 for the four children combined, the pressure put on the children to sell the fundraiser, and the they brought home forms to buy books, come on, this is only the second full week of school what's next? I would like to know how other parents do it without going broke.

Forget the fund raisers. Its enough that you spent all this money on uniforms. They should learn to run a decent school using their bloated budget. If any staff member puts pressure on your kids, see the staff member and if need be the principal. Let them know pressuring kids for money in a public school is completely unacceptable and if it continues you'll sue them for harassment.

When I went to school, extra curricular activities and supplies came out of the school budget. We never has fund raisers. School budgets become more and more bloated while they're busy hitting the kids and parents up for more and more money.

I don't know what school you are referring to, but in the school I am affiliated with, the fundraiser is for the PTA to provide extras for the children. Also, the cost of the uniform shirt is nothing compared to what your daughter would have had to pay for new school clothes. Either way, they need clothes for the year, correct? Also, if she is that hard up, maybe she ought to suggest a uniform exchange program where you can hand in your old uniforms that have been outgrown and pick up some used shirts until she can afford them. Believe me, I feel the tug of the purse strings too, but the uniforms are cost efficient. She can pass them down from one child to the other.

Maybe you should also suggest to your daughter to anticipate these costs before September so that she is not blind-sided when the time comes. Uniforms are bought the same time every year and school pictures are the same time every year. Just a thought. Hope this helps.

The fundraisers come from the PTA. The pictures from the school. As far as the PTA, they try to raise money to give the students things that aren't in the school buget. If all the extras were added into the budget, we would be paying an additional 50% in taxes, if not more. The book form sounds like a book fair. Your child doesn't have to participate in all the fundraisers, but if you decide to choose one, I would go for the book fair. By allowing your child to purchase a book, you are helping the PTA raise the money they need and you are encouraging your child to read.

Now for the pictures. When families have more than one child in school, I think the school should look into overing a family package. Maybe a group shot of the siblings as well as a 5x7 individual picture. Just a thought.

The fundraisers come from the PTA. The pictures from the school. As far as the PTA, they try to raise money to give the students things that aren't in the school buget. If all the extras were added into the budget, we would be paying an additional 50% in taxes, if not more. The book form sounds like a book fair. Your child doesn't have to participate in all the fundraisers, but if you decide to choose one, I would go for the book fair. By allowing your child to purchase a book, you are helping the PTA raise the money they need and you are encouraging your child to read.

Now for the pictures. When families have more than one child in school, I think the school should look into overing a family package. Maybe a group shot of the siblings as well as a 5x7 individual picture. Just a thought.

In public school, all fundraisers are voluntary. You do not have to purchase pictures, you don't have to buy a book. Many don't. Teachers NEVER put pressure on kids to participate in a fundraiser - they receive no benefit and extra work from the PTA fundraisers.

I don't know what school you are referring to, but in the school I am affiliated with, the fundraiser is for the PTA to provide extras for the children. Also, the cost of the uniform shirt is nothing compared to what your daughter would have had to pay for new school clothes. Either way, they need clothes for the year, correct? Also, if she is that hard up, maybe she ought to suggest a uniform exchange program where you can hand in your old uniforms that have been outgrown and pick up some used shirts until she can afford them. Believe me, I feel the tug of the purse strings too, but the uniforms are cost efficient. She can pass them down from one child to the other.

It that really true? When I went to public school, I and everyone else used our regular everyday clothes for school. Our parents did not have the additional expense of buying a special outfit for school.

Guest Lincoln Logger
Forget the fund raisers. Its enough that you spent all this money on uniforms. They should learn to run a decent school using their bloated budget. If any staff member puts pressure on your kids, see the staff member and if need be the principal. Let them know pressuring kids for money in a public school is completely unacceptable and if it continues you'll sue them for harassment.

When I went to school, extra curricular activities and supplies came out of the school budget. We never has fund raisers. School budgets become more and more bloated while they're busy hitting the kids and parents up for more and more money.

Talk about bloated budget, I have been trying to find out for 5 years why Kearny needs TP, a Head Teacher for Early Child Development? Especially since this person during this time has taken most of the time off to have 3 children of her own and has planned each one so that it is during the start of the school year. therefore taking off 6 month each for each and the town picking up the expense. This was a made up job to introduce the pre-school into the Kearny school system since they had not had one prior. And to top it all off she sends her own to private preschool. So what does that tell you of the program she is instituting? Secondly, look at the people she has hired to fill those positions. Coincidently, the last five just happen to be friends of hers from college, and that all was swept under the rug. Resumes don't lie, maybe disappear but don't lie. Shhh , don’t worry TP, nobody knows.

Bloated budget is this town's middle name and all positions top to bottom should be evaluated and re-evaluated. This is the first one that should go. What good has it done. Someone please tell me. Then you will see where the waste is.

In public school, all fundraisers are voluntary. You do not have to purchase pictures, you don't have to buy a book. Many don't. Teachers NEVER put pressure on kids to participate in a fundraiser - they receive no benefit and extra work from the PTA fundraisers.

I don't know what school you are referring too, but in the school my children attend, the teachers DO benefit from the PTA fundraisers. Stop by for a teachers breakfast the day before school, courtesy of the PTA; or how about the teachers luncheon in May, also courtesy of the PTA. Pressure is never to be put on a child to participate, but the PTA is a vital part of all the schools.

I don't know what school you are referring too, but in the school my children attend, the teachers DO benefit from the PTA fundraisers. Stop by for a teachers breakfast the day before school, courtesy of the PTA; or how about the teachers luncheon in May, also courtesy of the PTA. Pressure is never to be put on a child to participate, but the PTA is a vital part of all the schools.

Absolutely, no disagreement there. Our PTAs provide a wonderful Teacher Appreciation luncheon in May. What I mean about the teachers benefitting from PTA fundraisers, the national PTA rules require that all PTA fundraising money go directly to the students. Not through the schools to the students - directly. For example, PTA sponsored assemblies, dances, holiday treats, class trips all OK (great and appreciated by all involved) but gone are the days when the PTA could spend their money purchasing school equipment - TVs, VCRs, DVDs, etc. Most teachers encourage the students to bring home the PTA fundraising packets and many support them by buying from these drives. But to say that the teachers put pressure on the students to sell - I just don't buy it and haven't seen it.

Absolutely, no disagreement there. Our PTAs provide a wonderful Teacher Appreciation luncheon in May. What I mean about the teachers benefitting from PTA fundraisers, the national PTA rules require that all PTA fundraising money go directly to the students. Not through the schools to the students - directly. For example, PTA sponsored assemblies, dances, holiday treats, class trips all OK (great and appreciated by all involved) but gone are the days when the PTA could spend their money purchasing school equipment - TVs, VCRs, DVDs, etc. Most teachers encourage the students to bring home the PTA fundraising packets and many support them by buying from these drives. But to say that the teachers put pressure on the students to sell - I just don't buy it and haven't seen it.

No one said it was the teachers putting pressure on the children, it is the the other children laughing at the kids if they don't sell anything, and that is what was meant, children have a way of making other children feel bad, their feelings get hurt . My main issue is that it is extremely exspensive to send one child to school nevermind four. Yes, my daughter did buy the uniforms before hand, one set a week for each child, shoes, and other clothing items plus back packs etc. I feel that I as a taxpayer who does not have any children in school pay enough school tax to provide every necessity and extras that they need. Yes, the PTA is a wonderful thing as a matter of fact I was a member for over 20yrs we held auctions, plant sales, car washes, book sales cake sales etc. to get money for our kids, and we did it, we only had maybe two fundraisers a year, Xmas & Easter that the kids sold candy, pizza etc. That is what I should have said in the begining.

No one said it was the teachers putting pressure on the children, it is the the other children laughing at the kids if they don't sell anything, and that is what was meant, children have a way of making other children feel bad, their feelings get hurt . My main issue is that it is extremely exspensive to send one child to school nevermind four. Yes, my daughter did buy the uniforms before hand, one set a week for each child, shoes, and other clothing items plus back packs etc. I feel that I as a taxpayer who does not have any children in school pay enough school tax to provide every necessity and extras that they need. Yes, the PTA is a wonderful thing as a matter of fact I was a member for over 20yrs we held auctions, plant sales, car washes, book sales cake sales etc. to get money for our kids, and we did it, we only had maybe two fundraisers a year, Xmas & Easter that the kids sold candy, pizza etc. That is what I should have said in the begining.

That explains it.

I don't know how old your kids are, but if they are old enough they could reply "fund raising is not my thing and if you have to do it, that's your problem, not mine." I suspect the kids who made comments themselves don't want to do this and they get a little pissed when they see someone got out of it.

As a student, I've never been subjected to the fundraiser monster. My son was. But, he never ever bought any money back to the school. He didn't want to fund raise. And we didn't feel like walking him around the neighborhood for that. His attitude was that he shouldn't have to go door to door selling like some peasant. I suspect if someone made a comment he would have given the above response.

I think fundraisers are ridiculous and inefficient. Too much of the money goes in fund raising expenses. If you feel they need money, simply donate. No need to waste it on fund raising expenses.

That explains it.

I don't know how old your kids are, but if they are old enough they could reply "fund raising is not my thing and if you have to do it, that's your problem, not mine." I suspect the kids who made comments themselves don't want to do this and they get a little pissed when they see someone got out of it.

As a student, I've never been subjected to the fundraiser monster. My son was. But, he never ever bought any money back to the school. He didn't want to fund raise. And we didn't feel like walking him around the neighborhood for that. His attitude was that he shouldn't have to go door to door selling like some peasant. I suspect if someone made a comment he would have given the above response.

I think fundraisers are ridiculous and inefficient. Too much of the money goes in fund raising expenses. If you feel they need money, simply donate. No need to waste it on fund raising expenses.

I have to disagree - I've been in Kearny School for 25 year (all elementary grades) and I have NEVER heard one child comment to another child about whether or not he or she has participated in a fund raiser - actually the opposite is true, the kids (especially the boys) HATE handing in their Mom's fundraiser and often don't. In June, we have found many envelopes with checks and cash in lockers that were never handed in my an embarrassed child.