KHS GUIDANCE DEPT.

Guest TAX PAYER &  PARENT

Guest TAX PAYER &  PARENT

After hearing from some teachers and students in the High School it is obvious that the school Guidance Dept. is lost.The schedules are all wrong nothing coinsides and the counclors seem lost. It is like being on the front lines with no officers to lead.The teachers and Students are saying that all the classes are wrong and the Principal is lost and overcome with the duty of heading the Guidance Dept dispite what he says to his superiors all is fine.

How can the Board of Ed let such an important position be unmanned by a person who highly qualifies.I think it is time for the sleeping Mayor to wake up and see for himself what the uncapable Board members damage has done.This crumbling school district will surely kill the realestate in Kearny and be the doom of this town.

VOTE OUT THE PREASENT BOARD MEMBERS A.S.A.P FOR ALL OUR SAKE!

SHAME ON THE BOARD MEMBERS AND THE SLEEPY MAYOR.

Guest you are not serious

I debating even responding to this post but felt that some people mught actually think this post is accurate.

1. The first two weeks of the new semester are always hectic with schedule changes and getting classes to the size they need to be

2. there is a BRAND NEW computer program for scheduling that has some issues....the guidance dept. did not make the program nor were they asked for their imput on getting a new program. They are simply doing their job

3. If more parents were concerned about their children's grades and their future prospects, we wouldn't have so many students who need to "repeat" classes for failures or for not adhering to the attendance policy

4. Mr. Somma has stepped up and done a fantastic job wearing two hats in the buidling. He doesn't complain, he doesn't neglect either responsibility.

5. Do you know that the Guidance Dept came in on their own time over and over again during the summer to help with the transition? The didnt contact the Union and ask to be represented for more money nor did they give a "no" when administration called and asked for help.

6. This is a classic case of blaming the people who you see and not punishing those who truly created the problem.

I debating even responding to this post but felt that some people mught actually think this post is accurate.

1. The first two weeks of the new semester are always hectic with schedule changes and getting classes to the size they need to be

2. there is a BRAND NEW computer program for scheduling that has some issues....the guidance dept. did not make the program nor were they asked for their imput on getting a new program. They are simply doing their job

3. If more parents were concerned about their children's grades and their future prospects, we wouldn't have so many students who need to "repeat" classes for failures or for not adhering to the attendance policy

4. Mr. Somma has stepped up and done a fantastic job wearing two hats in the buidling. He doesn't complain, he doesn't neglect either responsibility.

5. Do you know that the Guidance Dept came in on their own time over and over again during the summer to help with the transition? The didnt contact the Union and ask to be represented for more money nor did they give a "no" when administration called and asked for help.

6. This is a classic case of blaming the people who you see and not punishing those who truly created the problem.

It seems the problem was created by the school administrators.

There is something seriously wrong with a school administration that purchases a scheduling program without input from the Guidance department.

Students do fail and they at times do need to repeat. It is part of and expected in the educational process. If the school can't handle that, again, there is something lacking in their administration.

Planning is poor when the administration needs to call in extra help to manage their "summer" issues.

I'm not blaming the Guidance department. But I am blaming the administration, district or school level. And it is the school board's responsibility to make sure there is a competent and efficient administration.

There is something seriously wrong with a school administration that purchases a scheduling program without input from the Guidance department.

Students do fail and they at times do need to repeat. It is part of and expected in the educational process. If the school can't handle that, again, there is something lacking in their administration.

Planning is poor when the administration needs to call in extra help to manage their "summer" issues.

I'm not blaming the Guidance department. But I am blaming the administration, district or school level. And it is the school board's responsibility to make sure there is a competent and efficient administration.

We need to get rid of the old and uninvolved and knowledgable board members and start with new and people who hasen't been corrupted by the old administration. VOTE THEM OUT

After hearing from some teachers and students in the High School it is obvious that the school Guidance Dept. is lost.The schedules are all wrong nothing coinsides and the counclors seem lost. It is like being on the front lines with no officers to lead.The teachers and Students are saying that all the classes are wrong and the Principal is lost and overcome with the duty of heading the Guidance Dept dispite what he says to his superiors all is fine.

How can the Board of Ed let such an important position be unmanned by a person who highly qualifies.I think it is time for the sleeping Mayor to wake up and see for himself what the uncapable Board members damage has done.This crumbling school district will surely kill the realestate in Kearny and be the doom of this town.

Once again someone who knows NOTHING about what is going on. The schedules are for the most part correct, but some did need to be changed. Some students failed to meet the proper expectations on state tests and needed a change, some students wanted changes and yes, the computer system is new making some things a little confusing.

If you want to vote out the present board members, go ahead, but who is going to run? You get the same people everyyear. You just sound like you are upset, because the current board is changing things and not taking garbage like past boards have. The current board, if you have attended any meetings, is pressuring all school district employees for accountability. Some do not like this. I say it is about time.

As far as The Sleepy Mayor, he has nothng to do with the board.

The administration know better, that why they get the big bucks lol. I love the fact that one person rely that the mayor is sleeping, what honestly can the mayor do. Fired them??? Unions will go crazy; relocate them to being a gym teacher? Again a lot of angry, no solution.

Guest another angy taxpayer

THE HIGH SCHOOL SCHEDULING IS A MESS!!!!

I know the poor counselors have tried their best but they can't do their jobs with a computer system that is full of bugs and have not been worked out. The bottom line is no one seems to be thinking of the kids. The poor students are suffering because they are not in the proper classes and may not be for some time. Some kids need to take the State test in about two weeks and they are still not even enrolled in the proper classes. Some classes are overloaded and then there are classes with only a few students. There are not enough rooms for teaching so some teachers are thrown into rooms that are not conducive to teaching. How fair is this to the kids. If there was someone heading up the guidance dept. in the summer maybe all this would be worked out. They have a qualified candidate right there but for whatever reasons they just do not want to make the appointment. Well, if the BOE knows they don't want this person then for heaven's sake - APPOINT SOMEONE!!!!

This is a vital position and it needs to be filled.

In this age of technology it is a shame that this school cannot utilize the programs properly so the teachers can get about the business of teaching. My friend tells me that there are many computers in the school that are not even functioning and when the tech office is closed they are told that the tech guys are not in the building. They chose not to replace the facilitators for the schools and now all this expensive technology is going to waster. My friend also tells me that the labs in the high school are not even functioning. They spend all our taxpayers money to purchase new programs for the students and then they don't even have anyone to keep the labs running so the programs can be utilized.

This is a sad state of affairs. Something needs to be done. Someone needs top step up and get the place going in the right direction. Again I say -THINK OF THE KIDS - LET'S STEP UP BOE AND STOP PLAYING POLTICS SO OUR KIDS CAN GET AN EDUCATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Kearny Resident
Just so happens there's a Board of Ed meeting tomorrow, Monday 9/15 7 pm Board Office Franklin School. Let's see how many people show up.

Can you please give me an update as to what happened in the Board meeting last night? I have problems walking and it was one of those days yesterday that I could barely get out of bed. I am sorry I missed the meeting but would like to find out what happened. If anyone can tell me please post it here and just the facts I am not trying to take sides? I just wish I could have been there. Thank you.

Can you please give me an update as to what happened in the Board meeting last night? I have problems walking and it was one of those days yesterday that I could barely get out of bed. I am sorry I missed the meeting but would like to find out what happened. If anyone can tell me please post it here and just the facts I am not trying to take sides? I just wish I could have been there. Thank you.

Dorothy Caulfield, currently a Guidance Counselor at KHS, was appointed as Acting Director of Student Personnel Services.

Dorothy Caulfield, currently a Guidance Counselor at KHS, was appointed as Acting Director of Student Personnel Services.

I don't know if anybody else saw the article in the newspaper re:students entering college and the need for remedial classes. This includes honor students with 3.0 GPA. Apparently this covers the entire gambut of schools, private and public. The cost in time and money can be devestating to families and students. The bottom line is most students will require six years to attain an undergraduate degree. As a grandparent with four grandsons to be educated, this is alarming. Someone or something has to be done to upgrade the present ciriculum to prepare our children for the next step in their education process. Hopefully better qualified people will be hired to run the high school programs so these shortcomings will be rectified.

Guest realistic
I don't know if anybody else saw the article in the newspaper re:students entering college and the need for remedial classes. This includes honor students with 3.0 GPA. Apparently this covers the entire gambut of schools, private and public. The cost in time and money can be devestating to families and students. The bottom line is most students will require six years to attain an undergraduate degree. As a grandparent with four grandsons to be educated, this is alarming. Someone or something has to be done to upgrade the present ciriculum to prepare our children for the next step in their education process. Hopefully better qualified people will be hired to run the high school programs so these shortcomings will be rectified.

1. Caulfield is a great choice

2. as far as remediation in college...when a student doesn't attain a certain score range they are placed in remediation classes which do not count towards their graduation requirements but are needed before progressing on...so who benefits...the college...you pay for those classes. It all comes down to money. The second point on this topic is that we have made an environment where "every kids can go to college". While that might be a nice idea, the fact remains that not every kids is cut out for a four year school right out of high school. with that community college is a great starting point for students who need more time. If more people were realistic about their after high school options the students would be placed properly