Time to say good-bye

Guest Leaving on a jet plane

Guest Leaving on a jet plane

After a lifetime in Kearny it's time to move on, my family can no longer afford to live in a town where my entire family was born raised went through the Kearny school system and died, it's awful to admit but my town is just about gone, you take your life in your hands just going into Quick check ( I will never go there alone at night) for years my family owned a business on Kearny Ave they stayed open till 11 everynight just for the bull dog edition of the newspaper, and I could play right out front and my parents never had to worry, think back to a time when you could leave the baby carriages out front of the A&P or the 5&10 now you don't leave your child alone for a second.

K.H.S. is almost a joke you need to show I.D. have your picture taken fill out a form BUT the kids can buy and pass drugs in the hall's I have personally watched kids smoke pot on school grounds maybe if they spent more time walking the campus and less time taking pictures and worrying that someone said god in school.... there just might be less drug problems,

Once again our taxes have gone up and what do we have to show for it? We have a Mayor who is using OUR Town as a stepping stone to further his political future....Al take but give something back. It strikes me odd that everyone hates the Mayor and some Council members BUT every year they are voted in, you can't blame the mayor and council you only have yourself to blame.

Wal-Mart came into town with a promise of more jobs for TOWN people take a look around the store and count just how many town people work there, I will never step foot in the place again the final straw was when an employee told me to my face that I NEED to learn a second language if I want to shop here I could not beleive my ears I very nicely informed her that I was born and raised in this town that your lucky enough to work in BOTH my parents were in the United States Navy and other family members were in the Army and your telling me I need to learn another language I left my cart and walked out!

So I'm packing my family and moving to a place where I can actually afford to live it breaks my heart to do it but I have no choice. I could go on but I can only imagine the feedback this will produce, I aired my feelings and will not get into a back and forth match with people. In closing I would like to say Thank you Mayor FOR NOTHING AND FOR RUINING MY TOWN....OUR TOWN......and for running ANOTHER Kearny family out. I don't know how you sleep at night

Guest Mayor
After a lifetime in Kearny it's time to move on, my family can no longer afford to live in a town where my entire family was born raised went through the Kearny school system and died, it's awful to admit but my town is just about gone, you take your life in your hands just going into Quick check ( I will never go there alone at night) for years my family owned a business on Kearny Ave they stayed open till 11 everynight just for the bull dog edition of the newspaper, and I could play right out front and my parents never had to worry, think back to a time when you could leave the baby carriages out front of the A&P or the 5&10 now you don't leave your child alone for a second.

K.H.S. is almost a joke you need to show I.D. have your picture taken fill out a form BUT the kids can buy and pass drugs in the hall's I have personally watched kids smoke pot on school grounds maybe if they spent more time walking the campus and less time taking pictures and worrying that someone said god in school.... there just might be less drug problems,

Once again our taxes have gone up and what do we have to show for it? We have a Mayor who is using OUR Town as a stepping stone to further his political future....Al take but give something back. It strikes me odd that everyone hates the Mayor and some Council members BUT every year they are voted in, you can't blame the mayor and council you only have yourself to blame.

Wal-Mart came into town with a promise of more jobs for TOWN people take a look around the store and count just how many town people work there, I will never step foot in the place again the final straw was when an employee told me to my face that I NEED to learn a second language if I want to shop here I could not beleive my ears I very nicely informed her that I was born and raised in this town that your lucky enough to work in BOTH my parents were in the United States Navy and other family members were in the Army and your telling me I need to learn another language I left my cart and walked out!

So I'm packing my family and moving to a place where I can actually afford to live it breaks my heart to do it but I have no choice. I could go on but I can only imagine the feedback this will produce, I aired my feelings and will not get into a back and forth match with people. In closing I would like to say Thank you Mayor FOR NOTHING AND FOR RUINING MY TOWN....OUR TOWN......and for running ANOTHER Kearny family out. I don't know how you sleep at night

Don't let the door hit you in the ass.

Guest Guest

K.H.S. is almost a joke you need to show I.D. have your picture taken fill out a form BUT the kids can buy and pass drugs in the hall's I have personally watched kids smoke pot on school grounds maybe if they spent more time walking the campus and less time taking pictures and worrying that someone said god in school....

With all due respect, the school turned a blind eye to Pasczkiewicz (for example) for over a decade. Then he was recorded literally talking about who does or doesn't belong in hell, and something had to be done about it. That's fair, and it's obvious "someone said god" a hell of a lot of times without anyone 'worrying' about it at all. The fact that much more than that was done and ignored for so long makes this part of your post quite unfair.

there just might be less drug problems,

If you just move out every time you don't like what a town is doing, you're going to do a lot of moving...again, all due respect, you seem to have trouble deciding who you want to blame. First the townspeople "only have [themselves] to blame", then you blame Santos. Well, you can play the blame game all day but it's not going to fix anything, and if you really want to have a positive impact, how about some constructive suggestions? They'd do a lot more than a rant and a move away.

Guest Kearny mom

My family and I wish you all the best. I've only lived in Kearny for 7 years, but have in that time watched the change. Your correct in your description and the fear to walk the Ave or go to Quick Check at night. I guess a Town can only be as good as the people running it. The politicians need to take the blinders off and see what really goes on in Kearny. Again, good luck to you and your family. I hope where ever it is your moving feels like HOME soon.

Guest EX-KEARNYITE

I TOO FELT THE SAME WAY BEFORE I LEFT TOWN. I WAS BORN AND RAISED IN KEARNY, RAISED MY KIDS IN KEARNY, AND DECIDED ENOUGH WAS ENOUGH. MY LAST STRAW WAS WHEN A BUNCH OF HOODLUM KIDS WERE JUST WALKING DOWN MY BLOCK, AND DECIDED THEY NEEDED TO DO SOMETHING DESTRUCTIVE, AND THREW A BRICK THROUGH MY CAR WINDOW, ALONG WITH MY NEIGHBORS CAR. WE NEVER HAD THAT PROBLEM IN KEARNY WHEN I WAS GROWING UP. THESE INGRATES COME FROM NEWARK AND JERSEY CITY FOR A BETTER WAY OF LIFE, ONLY TO DESTROY OUR WAY OF LIFE ON THEIR WAY. I MOVED OUT 2 YEARS AGO, AND HAVE HAD THE HAPPINESS OF LIVING IN A TOWN THAT STILL HAS THAT HOMETOWN FEEL, AND CARING... IN ONLY 2 YEARS, I KNOW MOST OF MY NEIGHBORS, AND ACTUALLY HAVE SOME OF THE NEIGHBORHOOD KIDS ASK WHAT THEY CAN DO TO HELP ME!!!! YOU DON'T FIND THAT IN KEARNY ANYMORE. SO TO ALL YOU LONG TIME KEARNYITES, THERE ARE STILL PLACES IN NJ THAT HAVE WHAT KEARNY USED TO HAVE, YOU JUST HAVE TO VENTURE OUT AND FIND IT....GOOD LUCK!

Guest exblutider
Gee, what a loss.

Yes it is a loss. Any time someone who can be asset to a town decides they've had enough and move away it opens another slot for someone who can be a liability to the town to take his/her place. I too moved from the area in search of a better place to live and raise my family. I'll agree it's what you make of it that counts, but it's always better to try a change than continue to butt your head against a brick wall. What I resent most is the corruption by our elected officials that has forced people like myself to move from the state that they loved and grew up in because we can no longer afford the taxes , insurances and utiliies. New Jersey is the most corrupt state in the nation and Hudson is the most corrupt county in the state........DO THE MATH

Guest Guest Who
Yes it is a loss. Any time someone who can be asset to a town decides they've had enough and move away it opens another slot for someone who can be a liability to the town to take his/her place.

How do you know the original poster could be an assest to this town? They sound only like a whiner to me.

Guest Greener Grass

Dear Leaving and the other posters who say they have left town,

Where are you moving to (or have moved to)? Tell us where you think the ideal place is. The reality is that there's no perfect Eden. If you post the name of where your moving to, we can compare tax rates, crime rates, etc.....

:unsure: I agree completely, I will soon be following you out of here after 50yrs of living in Kearny and owning my own home, the taxes and the way the town is heading are enough for me. And please don't reply with that flat leaver bull s--t, I have been an asset to the community, I ran two different business' in town over the last 35yrs so, my worj=k here is done. I use to enjoy going up to the Ave and shop, Ben Franklin, Johns Bargin Store all the old places, now, I can't understand what the counter people are saying to me. My children are staying here with there families because they want to keep there children in school and they don't own a home and have to pay outrageous taxes, so my friend I wish you & yours all the luck in your new town, and I know I will enjoy mine.

Guest Guest
:unsure: I agree completely, I will soon be following you out of here after 50yrs of living in Kearny and owning my own home, the taxes and the way the town is heading are enough for me. And please don't reply with that flat leaver bull s--t, I have been an asset to the community, I ran two different business' in town over the last 35yrs so, my worj=k here is done. I use to enjoy going up to the Ave and shop, Ben Franklin, Johns Bargin Store all the old places, now, I can't understand what the counter people are saying to me. My children are staying here with there families because they want to keep there children in school and they don't own a home and have to pay outrageous taxes, so my friend I wish you & yours all the luck in your new town, and I know I will enjoy mine.

With a comment like the one in red, I'm inclined to think that a lot of what's being expressed is just plain, old-fashioned, disgusting bigotry.

With a comment like the one in red, I'm inclined to think that a lot of what's being expressed is just plain, old-fashioned, disgusting bigotry.

First of all, I did not highlite that sentance, second, I am far from a bigot, if anything I am the most liberal individual you would ever meet. This post is about leaving my hometown, not bigotry! yes I made a comment about the sales people on the ave. when I ask for help with something, they don't understand what I want, I did not say it was every store. If anyone put that comment in red it was KOTW not me. And if this isn't posted I will go to the observer. I have many ethnic groups in my immidiate family, who speak broken english, my grandchildren are of two cultures, so don't you tell me about bigotry!

I am leaving this town because I am now retired and the taxes hear for the service you get are outrageous. I would rather live out the rest of my life in peace and quiet in a place where the taxes will not eat up my income, and will not have a problem with parking, cars racing up & down the street and just being able to walk out my door to a beautiful site.

First of all, I did not highlite that sentance, second, I am far from a bigot, if anything I am the most liberal individual you would ever meet. This post is about leaving my hometown, not bigotry! yes I made a comment about the sales people on the ave. when I ask for help with something, they don't understand what I want, I did not say it was every store. If anyone put that comment in red it was KOTW not me. And if this isn't posted I will go to the observer.

Whoa, dude. Guest highlighted the sentence to indicate what part of your post he was talking about. KOTW didn't do it. And no one's accusing you of doing it. Guest did accuse you of bigotry, but did not suggest that anyone but himself did the highlighting.

Guest Guest
First of all, I did not highlite that sentance, second, I am far from a bigot, if anything I am the most liberal individual you would ever meet. This post is about leaving my hometown, not bigotry! yes I made a comment about the sales people on the ave. when I ask for help with something, they don't understand what I want, I did not say it was every store. If anyone put that comment in red it was KOTW not me. And if this isn't posted I will go to the observer. I have many ethnic groups in my immidiate family, who speak broken english, my grandchildren are of two cultures, so don't you tell me about bigotry!

I am leaving this town because I am now retired and the taxes hear for the service you get are outrageous. I would rather live out the rest of my life in peace and quiet in a place where the taxes will not eat up my income, and will not have a problem with parking, cars racing up & down the street and just being able to walk out my door to a beautiful site.

See William K's comments. I don't know whether you're a bigot, but the highlighted sentence, which you wrote, is the kind of statement that usually comes from a bigot.

"I am leaving this town because I am now retired and the taxes hear for the service you get are outrageous. I would rather live out the rest of my life in peace and quiet in a place where the taxes will not eat up my income, and will not have a problem with parking, cars racing up & down the street and just being able to walk out my door to a beautiful site."

Well, come on down! We moved down the shore about 2 1/2 years ago to an "over 55" community when my wife retired and it was one of the the best things we ever did. Fifteen hundred square foot homes going for around $150,000 to $200,000 with taxes in the $2,500 range and monthly association dues of only $29 that includes snow removal, grass cutting, clubhouse, pool, tennis courts and numerous activities. Every home has a driveway and garage, underground utilities, well water sprinkler system and an open backyard. Everyone keeps their property looking great and the peace and quiet can sometimes be deafening. What else can one ask for?

The beach is a mere 8 miles away(we never venture over the bridge on weekends) and at age 62 Island Beach State Park beaches are free for life. No, it is not a Garden of Eden what with the Benny invasion every summer, but is by far a nice life.

Guest Leaving On a Jet Plane
Dear Leaving and the other posters who say they have left town,

Where are you moving to (or have moved to)? Tell us where you think the ideal place is. The reality is that there's no perfect Eden. If you post the name of where your moving to, we can compare tax rates, crime rates, etc.....

I'm staying in New Jersey going down South the taxes which I checked into run between $3000,00 and 6 very low unemployment rate. There is no eden BUT there are better places to live. I'm far from whiner but what I want is a better place for my family to live, go online check out realtors look into Ocean county and those areas you will be amazed. As long as the people of Kearny keep voting the same people in we will not have any change. My entire family has lived in Kearny and it breaks my heart to leave but I can't afford to live here. Take a look around town and count the for sale signs. Like I said no place is perfect but you can do better.

Guest Jimbojones
See William K's comments. I don't know whether you're a bigot, but the highlighted sentence, which you wrote, is the kind of statement that usually comes from a bigot.

Why can't a person in the Town Of Kearny, in the state Of New Jersey, which is part of the United States Of America expect to address an employee of a retail establishment in English (the accepted language of this country) and have that person be able to converse in the language of the land without being called a bigot! Why must a person born here learn a second language to accommodate people who have immigrated here? I feel the bigotry card is being used to make English speaking Americans to feel guilty! When my Grandparents came here they did not speak a word of English, they learned and insisted their kids spoke only English outside of the home. Yes, they did encourage my parents to speak and keep alive the language of their country. What happened to trying to assimilate? And if we ask the question why does that make us BIGOTS? Maybe bigotry works both ways!

Guest Greener Grass
I'm staying in New Jersey going down South the taxes which I checked into run between $3000,00 and 6 very low unemployment rate. There is no eden BUT there are better places to live. I'm far from whiner but what I want is a better place for my family to live, go online check out realtors look into Ocean county and those areas you will be amazed. As long as the people of Kearny keep voting the same people in we will not have any change. My entire family has lived in Kearny and it breaks my heart to leave but I can't afford to live here. Take a look around town and count the for sale signs. Like I said no place is perfect but you can do better.

So what not just name the places you "checked into"? Every place has its plusses and minuses. Give us a name or two so that we can compare taxes, fees, services, etc.

As for the for sale signs, that's not Kearny. Look at the front page of a newspaper. Real estate prices are falling everywhere.

Guest Need More Info
"I am leaving this town because I am now retired and the taxes hear for the service you get are outrageous. I would rather live out the rest of my life in peace and quiet in a place where the taxes will not eat up my income, and will not have a problem with parking, cars racing up & down the street and just being able to walk out my door to a beautiful site."

Well, come on down! We moved down the shore about 2 1/2 years ago to an "over 55" community when my wife retired and it was one of the the best things we ever did. Fifteen hundred square foot homes going for around $150,000 to $200,000 with taxes in the $2,500 range and monthly association dues of only $29 that includes snow removal, grass cutting, clubhouse, pool, tennis courts and numerous activities. Every home has a driveway and garage, underground utilities, well water sprinkler system and an open backyard. Everyone keeps their property looking great and the peace and quiet can sometimes be deafening. What else can one ask for?

The beach is a mere 8 miles away(we never venture over the bridge on weekends) and at age 62 Island Beach State Park beaches are free for life. No, it is not a Garden of Eden what with the Benny invasion every summer, but is by far a nice life.

Where??

Guest Guest
Why can't a person in the Town Of Kearny, in the state Of New Jersey, which is part of the United States Of America expect to address an employee of a retail establishment in English (the accepted language of this country) and have that person be able to converse in the language of the land without being called a bigot! Why must a person born here learn a second language to accommodate people who have immigrated here? I feel the bigotry card is being used to make English speaking Americans to feel guilty! When my Grandparents came here they did not speak a word of English, they learned and insisted their kids spoke only English outside of the home. Yes, they did encourage my parents to speak and keep alive the language of their country. What happened to trying to assimilate? And if we ask the question why does that make us BIGOTS? Maybe bigotry works both ways!

And exactly what did they do for food while they were learning the language?

People who read KOTW live in Kearny, too. The town's not falling apart because people can't speak to each other.

It is best that people who come here learn English. But to say you're leaving because some people in town don't speak English - draw your own conclusions about what that says, and about whom.

:lol: Thank you, I am not nor have ever been a bigot, and I take insult to that remark. You are correct when you talk about your family, mine were the same way, my people were from Sweden and they did not speak english very well, but they made sure that we all did. Again, thank you and to all the positive posters

Guest '07032

[/quote

So, why do you feel obligated to shop in these establishments? Why not just protest with your pocketbook and take your business elsewhere?

Where??

Holiday City in Berkeley Township, right next door to Toms River.

NJ.com shows our overall crime rate at 17.29/thousand in 2006 as compared to Kearny at 28.14/thousand. Average taxes were $3366 in 2007 for us and $7774 for you. Holiday City has even lower taxes than the rest of Berkeley because we get a school tax break due to the fact that we do not impact the school system. No one under 19 may live in our development. I hope that answers your questions

And exactly what did they do for food while they were learning the language?

People who read KOTW live in Kearny, too. The town's not falling apart because people can't speak to each other.

It is best that people who come here learn English. But to say you're leaving because some people in town don't speak English - draw your own conclusions about what that says, and about whom.

:rolleyes: That is fine, when they do learn. I have in-laws in my daughters family that have been here over 25yrs and they still do not speak english, there are many people in town like that, they depend on someone to translate to them. But that is not the main reason for my departure, the taxes in town are outrageous, if you have an income of $35,000 and your taxes have now jumped up to $8,000 what are you suppose to do? You own your home for 20 some odd years and then you can't afford to keep it and live a decent lifestyle. Before retirement my dream was to live somewhere that I could just sit back and enjoy a quiet life, I can not do that here, the town of Kearny has grown, and so has the crime, noise and overcrowded streets. I want to be able to come home from food shopping or anywhere else and park by my home and not two blocks away, in my neighborhood, which is in a nice part of town, the cars here have been keyed and damaged my neighbor has had to have her new vehicle painted 3 times in the last year, I do not need or want that expense. So, I am leaving for a nice quiet area where I have a large property pay one third the taxes and can park in front of my home.