Time to say good-bye

Guest Leaving on a jet plane

Guest Greener Grass
Holiday City in Berkeley Township, right next door to Toms River.

NJ.com shows our overall crime rate at 17.29/thousand in 2006 as compared to Kearny at 28.14/thousand. Average taxes were $3366 in 2007 for us and $7774 for you. Holiday City has even lower taxes than the rest of Berkeley because we get a school tax break due to the fact that we do not impact the school system. No one under 19 may live in our development. I hope that answers your questions

NJ.Com also shows that your water rate is about to double. I couldn't find information on how much you pay Ocean County Utilities Authority to process your sewerage. Is there a fee for that too and how much is that? Finally, do you get the same, more or less grabage pickup (regular garbage, recycling, large items) than you did in Kearny?

At issue is whether the BPU will allow the water company to raise its rates. The rate increase would be the first implemented by the company in 13 years. Under the request, a typical monthly residential bill of $19.06 would increase by about $17.64 to $36.70... United Water Toms River provides water to roughly 122,000 customers in Toms River, South Toms River and Berkeley. The company's spokesman, Richard Henning, has said the rate increase is needed to finance more than $57 million in investments that the company has made over the past 13 years and to cover gas, electric and chemical costs that have increased more than 200 percent over the same period.

NJ.Com also shows that your water rate is about to double. I couldn't find information on how much you pay Ocean County Utilities Authority to process your sewerage. Is there a fee for that too and how much is that? Finally, do you get the same, more or less grabage pickup (regular garbage, recycling, large items) than you did in Kearny?

At issue is whether the BPU will allow the water company to raise its rates. The rate increase would be the first implemented by the company in 13 years. Under the request, a typical monthly residential bill of $19.06 would increase by about $17.64 to $36.70... United Water Toms River provides water to roughly 122,000 customers in Toms River, South Toms River and Berkeley. The company's spokesman, Richard Henning, has said the rate increase is needed to finance more than $57 million in investments that the company has made over the past 13 years and to cover gas, electric and chemical costs that have increased more than 200 percent over the same period.

Yes, our water rate MAY increase, but right now our last bill for a quarter was $37; $12 per month, not $19. The sewer tax is about $30 per quarter and is based on a water in, water out charge. This is why we all have well water sprinkler systems that do not go through our water meters.

As for garbage pickup, because most of the homes in our section of Berkeley Township have two or less occupants, it is once a week with the exception of mid June through mid September when it is twice a week because of the hot weather. Recycling is every other week and, unlike Kearny, we can put out any large items anytime during the year. I've even had them pick up old wrought iron railing during a regular pickup day with no problems.

After all is said and done, though, I still believe I am paying less to live here than you are to live up north. I say this as an opinion, not bragging. Also, let me add that this area is good for retirees but may not be a plus for those who work. There is no industry here that provide good paying jobs and younger family would find themselves commuting, with the travel expenses and time far out waying the pluses.

Guest Greener Grass
Yes, our water rate MAY increase, but right now our last bill for a quarter was $37; $12 per month, not $19. The sewer tax is about $30 per quarter and is based on a water in, water out charge. This is why we all have well water sprinkler systems that do not go through our water meters.

As for garbage pickup, because most of the homes in our section of Berkeley Township have two or less occupants, it is once a week with the exception of mid June through mid September when it is twice a week because of the hot weather. Recycling is every other week and, unlike Kearny, we can put out any large items anytime during the year. I've even had them pick up old wrought iron railing during a regular pickup day with no problems.

After all is said and done, though, I still believe I am paying less to live here than you are to live up north. I say this as an opinion, not bragging. Also, let me add that this area is good for retirees but may not be a plus for those who work. There is no industry here that provide good paying jobs and younger family would find themselves commuting, with the travel expenses and time far out waying the pluses.

Those are important details. You have to compare out of pocket costs, which you didn't by just pointing out your property taxes in your earlier post. Yes, at the end of the day you probably pay less a year. If you're retired or go to the shore very frequently, then it may be cost effective. But if you work in Northern New Jersey, the commuting costs would overwhelm your savings.

Guest Fedupalso

I don't blame you for leaving!!! My husband and I will be selling our house in a year (or less) because things are getting bad on our street. We certainly don't want to raise our children here. We will be moving for various reasons and yeah, call us bigots, racists, or whatever (we're just sick of it). As soon as we bought our house here, they tore down the single family home next to us and built a 2-3 Family house. Needless to say the tenants that moved in are bad news (and yes the cops know all about it but can't do much till they catch them in the act).

We know we can never escape from crime or drugs but at least we will move to a less congested area. Here, no one gives a crud about anyone else or their property. My neighbors who have been here 20 years or so, will also be selling and my parents will be selling this Fall and moving down to the NJ Shore. Right now there are 4 houses on our block for sale, by next year I can imagine even more. All the nice decent folks are being forced to move. Adios Kearny, we would rather pay higher taxes and more money for a house in a town where we feel safe. Right now, we don't feel safe at all!! Curse me out, blast away, don't care. Oh, one more thing, most of the shaddy stuff that is going on, happens daytime around here too, so it's not just during the night. It's night and day here and we live on one of the nicer streets in town.

Guest Greener Grass
I don't blame you for leaving!!! My husband and I will be selling our house in a year (or less) because things are getting bad on our street. We certainly don't want to raise our children here. We will be moving for various reasons and yeah, call us bigots, racists, or whatever (we're just sick of it). As soon as we bought our house here, they tore down the single family home next to us and built a 2-3 Family house. Needless to say the tenants that moved in are bad news (and yes the cops know all about it but can't do much till they catch them in the act).

We know we can never escape from crime or drugs but at least we will move to a less congested area. Here, no one gives a crud about anyone else or their property. My neighbors who have been here 20 years or so, will also be selling and my parents will be selling this Fall and moving down to the NJ Shore. Right now there are 4 houses on our block for sale, by next year I can imagine even more. All the nice decent folks are being forced to move. Adios Kearny, we would rather pay higher taxes and more money for a house in a town where we feel safe. Right now, we don't feel safe at all!! Curse me out, blast away, don't care. Oh, one more thing, most of the shaddy stuff that is going on, happens daytime around here too, so it's not just during the night. It's night and day here and we live on one of the nicer streets in town.

Which community are you moving to? I'd like to know where the crime-free and drug-free Eden is. And, yes, the Shore is less congested, but only 9 months a year. During the summer, the Shore is much more intense. Unless, that is, you're moving to a place like Mantoloking and you don't plan on driving on any kind of highway. But you'd have to pay more to live in Mantoloking.... I know, I know, there are many communities down the Shore. But I haven't found Eden yet; have you?

Guest leaving on a jet plane
Which community are you moving to? I'd like to know where the crime-free and drug-free Eden is. And, yes, the Shore is less congested, but only 9 months a year. During the summer, the Shore is much more intense. Unless, that is, you're moving to a place like Mantoloking and you don't plan on driving on any kind of highway. But you'd have to pay more to live in Mantoloking.... I know, I know, there are many communities down the Shore. But I haven't found Eden yet; have you?

I never said drug or crime free I'm looking in the Ocean County area where taxes are between $3000,00 and $6000,00 as far as intense it's only for the summer. Looked at 2 and 3 bedroom homes with a pool and appliances for under $250.000 I looked at rentals for an entire house no more then $1000,00 a month have you priced 2 room apts around here? As for Eden I don't expect to find it and anyway it would be boring, what I found is a place where I can afford to live. As far as driving I'm already going to be where I want to be so no worries about that.

Guest Guest
I never said drug or crime free I'm looking in the Ocean County area where taxes are between $3000,00 and $6000,00 as far as intense it's only for the summer. Looked at 2 and 3 bedroom homes with a pool and appliances for under $250.000 I looked at rentals for an entire house no more then $1000,00 a month have you priced 2 room apts around here? As for Eden I don't expect to find it and anyway it would be boring, what I found is a place where I can afford to live. As far as driving I'm already going to be where I want to be so no worries about that.

If you want to live near Manhattan, of course you're going to pay more taxes. So what's news here?

Guest Old Person

"think back to a time when you could leave the baby carriages out front of the A&P or the 5&10 now you don't leave your child alone for a second."

I KNOW! I left my baby outside Shop-Rite the other day, I came out, and somebody sprayed graffiti art on her bare stomach and initiated her into a gang.

Guest OverThere
If you want to live near Manhattan, of course you're going to pay more taxes. So what's news here?

Many people move away for low taxes and have to put up with bears, snakes and the twenty grand in storm damage that comes along with those low tax areas .

Guest Greener Grass

Yes, taxes are lower in Ocean County. You have to add in your Ocean County Utility Authority sewage bills, your higher water bills, in some communities garbage fees, and in some developments the monthly association fees. As I said before, at the end of the day, it's probably still cheaper in Ocean County but not as much. You haven't told us which communities you're considering. Which ones?

You also say you won't have to commute north, are you getting a job in Ocean County? do you realize your salary will be lower?