Share your recipes!

Guest TheoryCat

Guest TheoryCat

To try and salve some of the bitterness and hostility, I think I'll start a thread where we can share some of our recipes.

Red Beans and Rice

Ingredients:

2 Cloves of garlic (crushed)

1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper

1/2 cup chopped celery

1 cup chopped onion

salt to taste

cayenne pepper to taste

1 pound red beans (sorted and soaked for 8 hours)

6 cups chicken broth or stock

1 pound sausage (andouille if you can get it, otherwise polish is decent), sliced

2 cups cooked rice (white, usually)

Preheat the oven to 250 F. Saute the garlic, onion, celery, and bell pepper in the medium of your choice (I use butter) in the bottom of a heavy, oven safe pot with an oven safe lid. In a seperate pan fry the sausage until browned. When the onions turn transluscent, add the sausage, chicken broth, and beans and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, lid the pot, and put it in the oven. In an hour and a half you should have perfect beans. If you want a thicker broth make a blonde roux* and stir it in while cooking the finished beans over medium heat until desired thickness is reached. Serve over rice or stir in the rice.

*A cajun roux is made from oil and flour rather water and flour. Mix equal amounts and heat over low heat, stirring constantly. A blonde roux is barely darkened at all.

Guest *speedy1*

Thank you very much, I always wanted a good recipe for that, my husband likes it! I am so happy that someone has added a new & good topic, I have been cooking for over 40yrs and I have some good reipes also :lol:

To try and salve some of the bitterness and hostility, I think I'll start a thread where we can share some of our recipes.

Red Beans and Rice

Ingredients:

2 Cloves of garlic (crushed)

1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper

1/2 cup chopped celery

1 cup chopped onion

salt to taste

cayenne pepper to taste

1 pound red beans (sorted and soaked for 8 hours)

6 cups chicken broth or stock

1 pound sausage (andouille if you can get it, otherwise polish is decent), sliced

2 cups cooked rice (white, usually)

Preheat the oven to 250 F. Saute the garlic, onion, celery, and bell pepper in the medium of your choice (I use butter) in the bottom of a heavy, oven safe pot with an oven safe lid. In a seperate pan fry the sausage until browned. When the onions turn transluscent, add the sausage, chicken broth, and beans and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, lid the pot, and put it in the oven. In an hour and a half you should have perfect beans. If you want a thicker broth make a blonde roux* and stir it in while cooking the finished beans over medium heat until desired thickness is reached. Serve over rice or stir in the rice.

*A cajun roux is made from oil and flour rather water and flour. Mix equal amounts and heat over low heat, stirring constantly. A blonde roux is barely darkened at all.

What about Italian sausage could that be used. What brand of red beans would you recommend I've tried Goya but have always found them to be a little tough. As soon as I remember where I put my chili recipe I'll post it up.

Guest TheoryCat
What about Italian sausage could that be used. What brand of red beans would you recommend I've tried Goya but have always found them to be a little tough. As soon as I remember where I put my chili recipe I'll post it up.

Polish Sausage is the closest in seasoning to Cajun cooking. Italian might bot taste right. Any brand of dry beans will do-it won't work with canned.

Guest donna
Polish Sausage is the closest in seasoning to Cajun cooking. Italian might bot taste right. Any brand of dry beans will do-it won't work with canned.

I'm looking for a good Balsamic Vinegar Chicken recipe. Thanks.