Does someone have to die?

Guest concerned parent

Guest concerned parent

What is going on down the Oval. The kids and adults riding unregistered, uninsured motocycles on the roads around the Oval in a wreckless and dangerous manner are going to KILL someone. Unfortunately it's going to be someone's young child who is going to be KILLED. Where is the KPD? They seem to be there to tell people to stay off a field or to monitor double parking. Why can't they protect our children from this accident waiting to happen? i don't care if they ride on the trails in the back where they can only hurt themselves or other riders they colide with. But they race around on the roads that are full of innocent children. The police should go down in unmarked cars and observe what is going on. They should then ticket these individuals and confiscate the vehicles. This would send the message that Kearny is not going to allow them to endanger our children. These riders are not just from Kearny, they come from out of town as well. Pulling up with their bikes and ATV's on trailers. KPD please do something before someone gets KILLED!!!! Thank you.

Guest Agreeing Constituent

I agree. This is very dangerous. You also touch on a great point. I have witnessed the Assistant Recreation Director kicking little kids off the playing fields, kids that are doing absolutely nothing but playing a little ball. Yet he does nothing when one of these motorcycles wiz by a mother walking her baby carriage. The KPD need to get involved. Because the Recreation is doing nothing about the unsafe conditions. :lol:

Guest Guest Who?
I agree. This is very dangerous. You also touch on a great point. I have witnessed the Assistant Recreation Director kicking little kids off the playing fields, kids that are doing absolutely nothing but playing a little ball. Yet he does nothing when one of these motorcycles wiz by a mother walking her baby carriage. The KPD need to get involved. Because the Recreation is doing nothing about the unsafe conditions. :excl:

You do realize that the recreation department has no control over the streets, don't you?

Guest not so dumb
You do realize that the recreation department has no control over the streets, don't you?

Yes, But the recreation department has total control of the oval. Isn't this correct assistant director of recreation??? There have been multiple incidents that have occured at the oval. A motocycle rider lost his leg. Another recently crashed into a vehicle up by the softball field. Luckily no one has been KILLED YET.

When it does happen, and it will. The town better be prepared for one hell of a lawsuit.

:unsure: First of all, the Kearny Recreation Department has no control over anything but the playing fields, locking and unlocking the gates, and the maintenance of the the fields themselves. They also are in charge of keeping the restrooms and grounds clean and repairing of the broken fences. THEY ARE NOT POLICE, therefor they can not do anything about these kids and adults with the dirt bikes and atv's. I am at the field almost everyday for the last two years, watching my grandchildren play sports and I have seen these people they are arrogant and have no respect for anyone, I would be be one of the priorities at a council meeting. I agree something has to be done immediately, but that is up to the police department, they have control in this because it is a motor vehicle. I can't tell you how many times they have wizzed by me & my small grandchildren and I wanted to rip them right off the bike, but then who is the bad guy?, me! So those of you that have an issue with this get a petition started and paa it around at the oval, in front of the schools, churchs and anywhere parents would be. All it takes is your time and a little effort. Then present it to the town council and a copy to the county, these are your kids, and they are worth it. I also feel that you are putting the blame on the wrong people, the Department of Recreation does it's job, as I said before they have no control over these riders. If a petition is made I will be the first to sign and I know at least 100 people that will also sign.

Guest Guest

So, what exactly do you want the Police to do? As soon as they see a Police Car come down the hill the Dir-bikers are off into the meadows..where the cops cant follow. Even it the polcie COULD get back there, the trucks they have are huge, and in that kind of ground a lot slower than the bikers. All they have to do is take off into NA and Lyndhurst, where they can call a friend or family membr with a truck to pick them up. I rode out there for years before I wised up, and the thought of the cops coming after us wasnt even considered.

Guest Guest
So, what exactly do you want the Police to do? As soon as they see a Police Car come down the hill the Dir-bikers are off into the meadows..where the cops cant follow. Even it the polcie COULD get back there, the trucks they have are huge, and in that kind of ground a lot slower than the bikers. All they have to do is take off into NA and Lyndhurst, where they can call a friend or family membr with a truck to pick them up. I rode out there for years before I wised up, and the thought of the cops coming after us wasnt even considered.

Unmarked cars?

Guest Serpico

Let's see ? I'd place a guy in plain cloths to gather the fact and move on from there. That was hard !

Next case

Serpico

Guest concerned parent
Let's see ? I'd place a guy in plain cloths to gather the fact and move on from there. That was hard !

Next case

Serpico

O.K. People let's stay focused. This is NOT a recreation department issue. This is an issue for the Kearny Police Department. It is their responsibilty to protect the children playing down the Oval. Now that they know, through this post, that a deadly and dangerous condition exists, It is their duty to secure the roads around the Oval.

Guest Guest

Next case

Serpico

Yes, of course how stupid of me..because of COURSE the kids with Dirt-Bikes/ATV's have license paltes on them so they can be traced back to the owners..or conveneinatly wear their names on the back of their clothe...oh wait...they Dont. Oopsie. So Let's have the PD Get ATV/s Bikes and Chase themm of course the FIRST time that Little Johnny dumps and is seriously Injured or killed while being pursued a lot of the same people here screaming "Do Something" will be looking for the Police Chief's head on a stick for allowing such "Reckless action". Also if you check with Police (you know, they are Human and will generally talk to people..unless you come off like an A$$hole..and considering the crowd here i can see WHY they mght not want to talk to the P.O.'s they see) you'll find that they have a VERy strict policy when it comes to vehicle pursuits..and chasing Dirt-bikers for being Annoying is NOT one of the allowable reasons..but of course you folks knew THAT as ell right?? Bueller?? Bueller?? Anyone?? Bueller??

The frank stupidity of some of the posters on this board makes me weep for what our town has become.

Guest Guest

If they are responsible for providing clean restrooms, they should take a look at the temporary bathroom at the oval. It is a real shame with are high taxes our children do not even have a decent restroom to use. I don't think one is enough to handle the amount of people at the oval.

Yes, of course how stupid of me..because of COURSE the kids with Dirt-Bikes/ATV's have license paltes on them so they can be traced back to the owners..or conveneinatly wear their names on the back of their clothe...oh wait...they Dont. Oopsie. So Let's have the PD Get ATV/s Bikes and Chase themm of course the FIRST time that Little Johnny dumps and is seriously Injured or killed while being pursued a lot of the same people here screaming "Do Something" will be looking for the Police Chief's head on a stick for allowing such "Reckless action". Also if you check with Police (you know, they are Human and will generally talk to people..unless you come off like an A$$hole..and considering the crowd here i can see WHY they mght not want to talk to the P.O.'s they see) you'll find that they have a VERy strict policy when it comes to vehicle pursuits..and chasing Dirt-bikers for being Annoying is NOT one of the allowable reasons..but of course you folks knew THAT as ell right?? Bueller?? Bueller?? Anyone?? Bueller??

Radios are faster than dirt bikes.

The frank stupidity of some of the posters on this board makes me weep for what our town has become.

You're not helping its image any yourself.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest puzzled by your stupidity

NO ONE IS TAKING ABOUT HIGH SPEED CHASES. OR HAVONG LITTLE JOHNNY DUMP AND GET KILLED. OR PLACING THE POLICE CHIEF'S HEAD ON A STICK. LETS MAKE IT REAL SIMPLE. PLACE A PLAIN CLOTHES POLICE OFFICER AT THE OVAL ( MAYBE DISGUISED AS A WALKER OR JOGGER OR A BASEBALL COACH) LET HIM OBSERVE THE MANNER IN WHICH THE BIKERS ARE OPERATING THESE VEHICLES ON A PUBLIC ROAD. MAYBE HE COULD ASK LITTLE JOHNNY FOR A CIGERETTE OR SOME POT. WHEN LITTLE JOHNNY COMES OVER HE COULD THEN CONFISCATE THE VEHICLE AND TELL LITTLE JOHNNY TO HAVE HIS PARENTS COME TO THE POLICE DEPARTMENT TO PICKUP HIS TICKETS AND THE DIRT BIKE. IN THE CASE WHERE IT IS OUT OF TOWN ADULTS, ALL THE OFFICER WOULD HAVE TO DO AFTER OBSERVING THEM OPERATING THEIR VEHICLES IN A DANGEROUS MANNER ON A PUBLIC ROAD, IS WAIT BY THEIR TRAILER WHEN THE GO TO GAS UP OR LEAVE.

IT IS REALLY THAT SIMPLE. DO NOT CLOG THIS POST WITH IDIOTIC COMMENTS ABOUT HOW THE POLICE CANNOT PROTECT AND SERVE THE TAXPAYERS AND THEIR FAMILIES.

Guest Guest

So you're saying that the KPD's hands have been tied by a bunch of dirt bikers? What an ass.

Look, the main issue here is that it is extremely dangerous for these bikers to ride around the Oval, the recreation dept. can't do a thing, if they could put up a fence, they would cut it down, like they did on the lower section of Bergen Ave. near Harrison Ave. and the way they do to get on the ball fields after they have locked, there is no quick solution except to have the area patrolled, on an hourly basis. But also, in regards to the assistant recreation supervisor chasing children off the fields, you have to understand that those fields are for local teams to play ball on, not for just a few kids to play on goofing around tearing the fields up with different objects, to keep these fields maintained for ball playing is a very expensive and time consuming job. You have to look at the big picture here, they can not put up a fence to keep the bikers out and if we as parents, grandparents see this happening then we call the police, and keep calling everytime we witness these bikers in the oval, they should get a ticket 1st offense, 2nd take away their license and 3 times buddy your out take the bike!!!!!!

Look, the main issue here is that it is extremely dangerous for these bikers to ride around the Oval, the recreation dept. can't do a thing, if they could put up a fence, they would cut it down, like they did on the lower section of Bergen Ave. near Harrison Ave. and the way they do to get on the ball fields after they have locked, there is no quick solution except to have the area patrolled, on an hourly basis. But also, in regards to the assistant recreation supervisor chasing children off the fields, you have to understand that those fields are for local teams to play ball on, not for just a few kids to play on goofing around tearing the fields up with different objects, to keep these fields maintained for ball playing is a very expensive and time consuming job. You have to look at the big picture here, they can not put up a fence to keep the bikers out and if we as parents, grandparents see this happening then we call the police, and keep calling everytime we witness these bikers in the oval, they should get a ticket 1st offense, 2nd take away their license and 3 times buddy your out take the bike!!!!!!

I agree with you speedy, back in the day when I was a teen we used to ride our dirt bikes on the tracks or the dirt trails behind gunnel oval. While still illegal to do so the KPD kinda looked the other way since we were not riding on the streets or sidewalks creating a hazard. But lets not stop with just the kids or adults at Gunnel Oval doing this, the ***** ** ********* ******** who allows his kids to drive gas powered go karts on the sidewalk.