Heliport

Guest Westside

Guest Westside

I do not have the ariticle to reference, but I understand that in todays Ledger it is written that our neighbor to the southwest (Newark) has approved the construction of a heliport for police and news Helicopters across on the Passaic, across from somewhere between South Midland and Park ave. If nobody has experienced the noise and vibration created by a helicopter flying low, I invite you to drive to the Hudson just across from the Midtown Heliport in NYC. It is a bone shaking, ear splitting experience.

Newark residents will be much less affected since that area is mostly industrial, the hillside of Kearny running down to the river will suffer.. Newark will not care about Kearny suffering.

There have also been several accidents at the NY heliport, at least 2 resulting in fatalities in recent years. I also recall at least 2 helicopters falling into the Passaic. It wouldnt take much of an error to result in disaster.

My concern is the noise. Route 21 with its constant racing in summer is hellish enough without day and night helicopters

Add to this that the land deal seems to have some less than ethical undetones involving Corey Booker.

I suggest that you take the time to write letters expressing your conceren, perhaps beginning with our Mayor hoping that he acts on behalf of Kearny

Guest Guest
I do not have the ariticle to reference, but I understand that in todays Ledger it is written that our neighbor to the southwest (Newark) has approved the construction of a heliport for police and news Helicopters across on the Passaic, across from somewhere between South Midland and Park ave. If nobody has experienced the noise and vibration created by a helicopter flying low, I invite you to drive to the Hudson just across from the Midtown Heliport in NYC. It is a bone shaking, ear splitting experience.

Newark residents will be much less affected since that area is mostly industrial, the hillside of Kearny running down to the river will suffer.. Newark will not care about Kearny suffering.

There have also been several accidents at the NY heliport, at least 2 resulting in fatalities in recent years. I also recall at least 2 helicopters falling into the Passaic. It wouldnt take much of an error to result in disaster.

My concern is the noise. Route 21 with its constant racing in summer is hellish enough without day and night helicopters

Add to this that the land deal seems to have some less than ethical undetones involving Corey Booker.

I suggest that you take the time to write letters expressing your conceren, perhaps beginning with our Mayor hoping that he acts on behalf of Kearny

no one seems worried .......... wait. when it's too late watch how they B**ch and complain. but it will be to no avail. it will be too late.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Steve
no one seems worried .......... wait. when it's too late watch how they B**ch and complain. but it will be to no avail. it will be too late.

Has there been any discussion to the Mayor with this? This is highly concerning... Anyone, please advise!

Guest Guest

This really cannot be good. Has there been any discussion with the town of Kearny? Are we totally powerless to stop this?

HELP! Any feedback will be helpful, I just found about this today!!!!!!

Relatives of Mayor Cory Booker's former law partner to open Newark Heliport

by Jonathan Schuppe and Jeffery C. Mays/The Star-Ledger

Thursday February 28, 2008, 5:43 PM

Newark's housing authority has agreed to sell a swath of fallow land along the Passaic River once slated for public housing to a company owned by relatives of Mayor Cory Booker's former law partner.

Air Pegasus Helicopters plans to turn the 5-acre plot into a $10 million commercial "heliplex" for air ambulances, corporate and charter flights, news choppers, delivery services and law enforcement agencies. Tenants will include the Newark Police Department's new Aviation Unit, which currently stations its helicopter at Morristown Municipal Airport.

The Roseland company is run by Alvin, Steven and Abigail Trenk, who are related to Richard D. Trenk, a partner in the West Orange law firm where Booker was a partner for about four years before becoming mayor. Alvin is Steven's and Abigail's father and Richard's uncle.

Richard Trenk also has a $500,000 contract with the Newark Housing Authority to work on redevelopment issues, though agency officials say he was not involved in the deal to sell the land to Air Pegasus. Richard Trenk does not have a financial stake in Air Pegasus, authority officials said.

When asked about the arrangement Wednesday, Booker said he "was concerned about the appearance of impropriety" when he heard the Trenk family was pitching the heliport.

The mayor said he had two choices: try to stop the heliport proposal or let it proceed. The deal appears to have been done fairly, he said.

"I've been convinced that everything seems to be very, very above board," Booker said.

Steven Trenk, Richard Trenk's cousin and a managing member of Air Pegasus, said he doesn't know "why there would be," any perception of a conflict of interest. "Richard is not involved in the project, nor is his firm."

The chairman of the housing authority board, Modia Butler, added, "I'm fully confident we did this in the right way."

Richard Trenk, a partner in Trenk, DiPasquale, Webster, Della Fera & Sodono, did not return phone calls during the last two days or an email.

The complex, which is scheduled to open in late 2009, will include landing pads and a maintenance facility. It will be located a few hundred yards from a townhouse complex on Grafton Avenue, built in the shadow of the Walsh Homes high-rise complex that once occupied the site.

After Walsh Homes was torn down in 1995, the authority had proposed 75 units of low income townhouses on the property. But the homes never materialized, and the federal government cited the failed project when it threatened to seize control of the authority in 2005.

Rather than build homes on the eight-acre site, the authority plans to develop three adjacent acres with a community center and police precinct -- neighborhood amenities that Booker promised residents after taking office in 2006. The authority will own the community center but terms for the precinct haven't been worked out.

The authority voted to sell the remaining five acres and advertised for commercial development proposals last summer. While several companies picked up the request for proposals, Air Pegasus was the only company to submit a plan.

The authority agreed in November to sell the five acres for $2.6 million -- including a $780,000 down payment and a five-year authority-financed mortgage that carries a 8.55 percent interest rate -- about the national average.

The project still requires approvals from Newark's land-use boards, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and the Federal Aviation Administration.

Guest Guest
Has there been any discussion to the Mayor with this? This is highly concerning... Anyone, please advise!

Congressman Steve Rothman is going to have a meeting about this in Kearny on March 24, or that what they said on the town of Kearny web site www.kearnynj.org

Guest Tango6

What are you talking about? There has been three heliport pads behind the new FBI building for more then five years that house unknown amount of FBI 3 Port Authority and five Newark Police helicopters all equpped with whisper mode except for the PA's jet chopper. They are going to build another new facility and waist more tax payers money.

Guest steve
Congressman Steve Rothman is going to have a meeting about this in Kearny on March 24, or that what they said on the town of Kearny web site www.kearnynj.org

Thank you much!! I'll research and read up on this meeting! Thank you!

Guest steve
What are you talking about? There has been three heliport pads behind the new FBI building for more then five years that house unknown amount of FBI 3 Port Authority and five Newark Police helicopters all equpped with whisper mode except for the PA's jet chopper. They are going to build another new facility and waist more tax payers money.

Tango,

I think the difference is that this Heliport is

A) Housing News Helicopters (are they noise proof?)

:lol: Across from a large residential area.

Regardless of it being a waste of taxpayer money is moot. I am a property owner square across from this new heliport zone, and frankly, I am highly concerned. That is where my intrest is.

Guest Guest

Waist?

Guest Tango6
Waist?

In my opinion yes the proposed 10 million dollar air pegasus Heliplex LLC that is to be built on the five acres of land ajacent to the Grafton ave area will cause alarm and a level of paranoia that is not condusive to the residental areas that surround this site on both sides of the River. The big alarm bell that should be ringing here is that Steve Trenk who is the cousin of Mayor Bookers former Law Partner Robert Trenk was awarded this contract when the Newark Police cars need tires, exhaust systems and suspention work!!!!!!

Guest Guest
In my opinion yes the proposed 10 million dollar air pegasus Heliplex LLC that is to be built on the five acres of land ajacent to the Grafton ave area will cause alarm and a level of paranoia that is not condusive to the residental areas that surround this site on both sides of the River. The big alarm bell that should be ringing here is that Steve Trenk who is the cousin of Mayor Bookers former Law Partner Robert Trenk was awarded this contract when the Newark Police cars need tires, exhaust systems and suspention work!!!!!!

Waist? Suspention?

You must learn a little more about grammar and spelling before you can take on the issues.

Guest Steve

Kearny Residents,

Here's the latest from Mayor Santos, who emailed me earlier -

The Town Council passed a resolution opposing the heliport.

Local approvals (from the City of Newark) are necessary for the project but Mayor Cory Booker supports it and none of the Newark North Ward officials has opposed this.

Other approvals that we are aware of have to be obtained from federal agencies (the FAA and HUD). During the public portion of the Council meeting, Mr. Mayor found it to be appopriate to raise this matter with our Congressman, Steven Rothman, when he comes to Kearny on March 24 for a meeting with resdidents.

Please write your Congressman Steve Rothman! Please write Mr. Mayor! Please talk to your neighbors! Let's not let this happen easy!!! I will be setting up a basic website for information and a place on-line to start communicatating!

http://www.house.gov/rothman/contact_steve.htm!! I have a form letter, just copy it and send!! -

Dear Mr. Congressman,

I am a Kearny resident and homeowner. I write to you for your assistance in regards to the recent Newark Helipad proposal. This is a situation that has caused some immediate concern for my family's quality of life. To say this is an added stress would be a fair assessment.

I understand you will be addressing this issue on March 24th in the Kearny Town Hall. We want to make sure that you will fight for the Kearny residents! Now is the time to get involved to help prevent this Heliport from becoming a dangerous reality to my neighborhood.

Guest Tango6
Waist? Suspention?

You must learn a little more about grammar and spelling before you can take on the issues.

You dont have to be a good speller to understand that this project is all about money not public safety

Guest Guest
You dont have to be a good speller to understand that this project is all about money not public safety

No. But you have to be a good speller for people to take you seriously.

Guest Educated Person
So what then the US Constituion should not be taken seriously?

The US Constitution (not "Constituion") doesn't have silly grammar mistakes all over it. :P

• 2 weeks later...
Kearny Residents,

Here's the latest from Mayor Santos, who emailed me earlier -

The Town Council passed a resolution opposing the heliport.

Local approvals (from the City of Newark) are necessary for the project but Mayor Cory Booker supports it and none of the Newark North Ward officials has opposed this.

Other approvals that we are aware of have to be obtained from federal agencies (the FAA and HUD). During the public portion of the Council meeting, Mr. Mayor found it to be appopriate to raise this matter with our Congressman, Steven Rothman, when he comes to Kearny on March 24 for a meeting with resdidents.

Please write your Congressman Steve Rothman! Please write Mr. Mayor! Please talk to your neighbors! Let's not let this happen easy!!! I will be setting up a basic website for information and a place on-line to start communicatating!

http://www.house.gov/rothman/contact_steve.htm!! I have a form letter, just copy it and send!! -

Dear Mr. Congressman,

I am a Kearny resident and homeowner. I write to you for your assistance in regards to the recent Newark Helipad proposal. This is a situation that has caused some immediate concern for my family's quality of life. To say this is an added stress would be a fair assessment.

I understand you will be addressing this issue on March 24th in the Kearny Town Hall. We want to make sure that you will fight for the Kearny residents! Now is the time to get involved to help prevent this Heliport from becoming a dangerous reality to my neighborhood.

Steve I don't know if you know this, but Newark already has a helipad on the Passiac river. Across from NJPAC. It sits in Minnish Park. Passiac river on one side, McCarter Highway on the other. The area is big enough to house all that Pegasus wants to put there. New concrete bulkheads were put in by the Army Corp a couple of years ago. I know this one becaause I worked on the job and 2 because the helicopters fly overhead non stop

Guest Steve
Steve I don't know if you know this, but Newark already has a helipad on the Passiac river. Across from NJPAC. It sits in Minnish Park. Passiac river on one side, McCarter Highway on the other. The area is big enough to house all that Pegasus wants to put there. New concrete bulkheads were put in by the Army Corp a couple of years ago. I know this one becaause I worked on the job and 2 because the helicopters fly overhead non stop

Thank you for the heads up! I was actually aware of the existing Helipad by PAC .But was not aware of the bulkheads and the upgrades.

Do you live over near there the existing heliport?

We've got Congressman Rothman involved, and I am feeling pretty good about him being on our side. If you want to get involved, email me at stopnewarkheliport@hotmail.com. We also have a website www.stopnewarkheliport.bravehost.com Hopefully this proposal can come to a positive resolution, but we have plans to challenge it at every level.

Thanks again for the info! I appreciate you talking about it, and keeping it alive!!!

Steve