Tough Budget Times signal Bad Times for Kearny.

Guest Town Watch

Guest Guest
Can Mayor Santos be a leader in tough times?

This Mayor can never be a leader because he can’t make quick, decisive, resolute decisions; he over analyses, over studies, attempts to gather too many opinions and viewpoints, and inevitably a judgment becomes paralyzed. This Mayor can never be a leader because he’s too concerned about the political ramifications of a decision or he is overly worried with what others will think of him, therefore prolonging or avoiding a result. This Mayor can never be a leader because he is the one who is led by the Hudson County political machine and must kowtow to their beckoning to remain in power. This Mayor can never be a leader because he is apprehensive when evaluating a person or group or he lets his personal views of a individual or individual’s character interfere with the decision-making process and consequently become a deal-breaker. This Mayor is too skeptical, too judgmental, becomes too nervous, and needlessly frets over every detail of a situation requiring leadership and judgment. The positive developments that could result from a timely and sound decision are loss to his indecisiveness, his listening to the opinions of others around him and an overall lack of resolve.

And on the other side we have Jim Mangin attacking him for steamrolling things through the Council.

If you're going to make an accusation like this, how about including some facts to back it up.

Guest Ho Hum

This Mayor can never be a leader because he can’t make quick, decisive, resolute decisions; he over analyses, over studies, attempts to gather too many opinions and viewpoints, and inevitably a judgment becomes paralyzed. This Mayor can never be a leader because he’s too concerned about the political ramifications of a decision or he is overly worried with what others will think of him, therefore prolonging or avoiding a result. This Mayor can never be a leader because he is the one who is led by the Hudson County political machine and must kowtow to their beckoning to remain in power. This Mayor can never be a leader because he is apprehensive when evaluating a person or group or he lets his personal views of a individual or individual’s character interfere with the decision-making process and consequently become a deal-breaker. This Mayor is too skeptical, too judgmental, becomes too nervous, and needlessly frets over every detail of a situation requiring leadership and judgment. The positive developments that could result from a timely and sound decision are loss to his indecisiveness, his listening to the opinions of others around him and an overall lack of resolve.

Wu-Su,

Can you provide an example to support any of the opinions or allegations in your posting? Give us one or two good facts for discussion. It could be an employee decision, or some contract, or some ordinance or some County action. Let's test your opinions against facts.

Wu-Su,

Can you provide an example to support any of the opinions or allegations in your posting? Give us one or two good facts for discussion. It could be an employee decision, or some contract, or some ordinance or some County action. Let's test your opinions against facts.

Take a look at the proposed redevelopment on Passaic Avenue; in ten years how many times and in how may guises has this been visited and revisited. And why does this Mayor defer to his business administrator so often, to keep his hands clean and avoid the tough decisions?

And on the other side we have Jim Mangin attacking him for steamrolling things through the Council.

If you're going to make an accusation like this, how about including some facts to back it up.

Read the local papers, just sit back and observe, attend a Town Council meeting, attend other board meetings that the Mayor sits on, and you will get a sense of how he reacts. We are not talking about steamrolling, being reckless or careless, we are talking about the attributes of one who should be a leader.

Guest guest
Keep calling people morons while offering no solutions. It's a good laugh for us "morons".

I beleive that the solution they are saying is don't vote for him. Isn't it obvious?

Guest Guest
I beleive that the solution they are saying is don't vote for him. Isn't it obvious?

It's obvious that it won't solve a thing. Thinking that voting someone out is going to magically fix anything alone is good for nothing but getting a laugh out of people who know better.

Guest Guest
Yes, your remarks/response certainly demonstrate that.

This comment is literally on par with "I know you are but what am I?"

Grow the hell up, for crying out loud. Are you an adult?

Guest Town Watch

That sounds just like a lawyer to me.

O really so the Pepsi building, Wal-Mart, the new condos where the sopranos was filmed, and Riviera are dollars stores and/or laundry mats, gets a life. Look around do you want us to be a Harrison, North Arlington or Newark? Harrison is so corrupted it not even funny, North Arlington is so badly managed that resident’s taxes go up in the thousands and more to come. As for Newark, well I hope one day it can go to its former glory. The Mayor is trying to get those building near Kmart to be redevelop, the old baseball factory cleanup so it can be redevelop and the building near Seabras to be turn into new Condos. I remember the old mayor; I don’t ever want to go back to that again. If you have any suggest I would love to hear them, as for the sandbagger coming out of the closet I hope that not a personal request.

It's the area that Kearny falls within, not the Mayor that attracts development. Wal-Mart was about the property owner leasing his property for a profit and Wal-Mart finding a location to get a return on investment; this had nothing to do with the Mayor, except perhaps that it was in a UEZ zone that was created before he came into office. The Pepsi building, same thing, the property owner needed to build and lease a second building to make his investment profitable; had nothing to do with the Mayor. The Saprano condos? What else are you going to do with an old auto parts store, make a profit by building condos. Yes, and for 10 years this Mayor's been sitting, waiting for the bat factory cleanup, the redevelopment of the buildings near Kmart, etc. This Mayor seems to be virtually ignoring South Kearny.

Guest Guest
You're doing the moaning and crying once more; so obviously a great deal more than you are.

Wow...the answer is, once again, a variant of "I know you are but what am I." I pity you.

Guest Ho Hum
It's the area that Kearny falls within, not the Mayor that attracts development. Wal-Mart was about the property owner leasing his property for a profit and Wal-Mart finding a location to get a return on investment; this had nothing to do with the Mayor, except perhaps that it was in a UEZ zone that was created before he came into office. The Pepsi building, same thing, the property owner needed to build and lease a second building to make his investment profitable; had nothing to do with the Mayor. The Saprano condos? What else are you going to do with an old auto parts store, make a profit by building condos. Yes, and for 10 years this Mayor's been sitting, waiting for the bat factory cleanup, the redevelopment of the buildings near Kmart, etc. This Mayor seems to be virtually ignoring South Kearny.

So everything good has nothing to do with the Mayor and the Passaic Avenue inactivity is all the Mayor's fault? You can't have it both ways. Time will tell on Passaic Avenue. As to South Kearny, it was designated a Foreign Trade Zone by the federal government last year.

As to your criticism of Joe DArco, can you give us one example?

In short, Wu-Su, if that's all you've got, you've haven't got much at all, if anything.

Guest Guest

Wow I think this is the first comment in a while that had some real concerns. Thanks for the post.

Here what I do know, the bat factory is in limbo because no one wants to do the environment check. The land is toxic, but how toxic no one knows. The owners doesn’t want to do it because if they find out that it’s overly toxic they’ll have to pay for the clean up or be forced to pay for the cleanup; since they haven’t received any profit from the land in a couple of years there stuck. They have two options wait for someone else to pay for the tests or do the tests and find out the land is really toxic and go bankrupt in clean it up. I don’t see how the Mayor can help them? If there are any suggestions email the mayor.

Wal-Mart and the Pepsi Building had to do more with location than anything else, if you think that the mayor did nothing to get them here your sadly mistaken. Newark and Harrison would of love to get there business and both had very attractive areas for development. Example: drive over the bridge next to Tops Dinner or the land for redevelopment in Harrison, both would be a great place to put either a Wal-Mart or Pepsi building but someone had to show these guys a carrot.

As for the Saprano condos, I personally don’t think that’s a good idea. It’s kind of a busy area in the mornings and parking would probably be a problem. But, honestly I don’t see any other way to make a fast buck by putting that lot into condos and to make it sweeter you have the Saprano name with it raising its prices. We’ll at least the town will get some nice property tax out of that.

Government moves slowly, the mayor has helped the town. It’s that you won’t see the benefits till years later and can you honestly say this town has gotten worse compare the surrounding towns. As for any grammar mistakes, I apology in advance since lately everyone been very concerns with one’s grammar.

• 1 month later...
Guest Recall Mayor Santos

This post says everything that needs to be said.

• 4 months later...
He has yet to deliver anything for Kearny in terms of easing the property tax burden that is strangling the citizens of Kearny in a time of recession. If he presents another major tax increase to the overburdened property owners again, then the time for change should be strongly considered in the form of a recall of this Mayor. Now is the time to show strong leadership in a time of crisis. Mayor Santos has been unable to make any tough decisions to this point and one would think he won't now. My feeling is that this Mayor will make this bad tax sitution even worse and if that happens and the taxpayers allow this, then SHAME ON KEARNY for allowing this to happen.

Time to Wake up Kearny, Election time will be here very soon. WAKE UP LOOK AT WHAT THIS MAN HAS DONE TO THIS TOWN. TIME TO CLEAN HOUSE!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest *The Silent Majority*
He has yet to deliver anything for Kearny in terms of easing the property tax burden that is strangling the citizens of Kearny in a time of recession. If he presents another major tax increase to the overburdened property owners again, then the time for change should be strongly considered in the form of a recall of this Mayor. Now is the time to show strong leadership in a time of crisis. Mayor Santos has been unable to make any tough decisions to this point and one would think he won't now. My feeling is that this Mayor will make this bad tax sitution even worse and if that happens and the taxpayers allow this, then SHAME ON KEARNY for allowing this to happen.

With another Major Tax Increase on the way, Its time to get rid of this Mayor and the rest of his YES people. Mayor Leadbeater has a nice refreshing ring to the hard working taxpaying citizens of Kearny. Lets bring positive change to Kearny in 2009!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...
Guest *The Silent Majority*

The winds of change are blowing in the air. Taxes are up again with nothing being done to control costs to reach a goal of at least stablizing Property Taxes at a time when the economy is in the tank. Tough and unpopular decisions need to be made and this Mayor has yet to have the stones to make them fearing that he might lose his re-election.Times are tough Mayor and while this hasn't effected you in your ivory tower, it has effected many in town who have either lost their jobs or are in the process of losing their homes. Now is not the time to explain how we got into this mess. The time is NOW for you to display leadership which you have failed to do since being in office. John Leadbeater can't do any worse and that is why I will give him my vote in November, Mayor Santos IN TO LONG, ITS TIME FOR HIM TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Town Watch
The winds of change are blowing in the air. Taxes are up again with nothing being done to control costs to reach a goal of at least stablizing Property Taxes at a time when the economy is in the tank. Tough and unpopular decisions need to be made and this Mayor has yet to have the stones to make them fearing that he might lose his re-election.Times are tough Mayor and while this hasn't effected you in your ivory tower, it has effected many in town who have either lost their jobs or are in the process of losing their homes. Now is not the time to explain how we got into this mess. The time is NOW for you to display leadership which you have failed to do since being in office. John Leadbeater can't do any worse and that is why I will give him my vote in November, Mayor Santos IN TO LONG, ITS TIME FOR HIM TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!

You will start to see things getting done that have been left on the backburner for years now that the Mayor is up for Re-Election. He says there will be no layoffs? Can he make such a promise if elected again. Finially he has taken action on the Gunnal Oval paving project that has been a problem for years, Always when election time comes around does the Mayor take action on much needed projects. Come on Mayor you don't think the Taxpayers see what your trying to do, the people aren't as dumb as you may think they are and will show you when they throw you and your buddies out in November.