The Observer Mistakes

Guest omfug

Guest omfug

"A Grizzly Discovery" ???

Don't they mean "A Grisly Discovery." ???

The entire staff must be illiterate!

This mistake shows how far this paper has gone downhill in the past year. Their new editor Kevin Canessa should stick to something he knows, like government reporting instead of newspaper editing.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest

This mistake shows how far this paper has gone downhill in the past year. Their new editor Kevin Canessa should stick to something he knows, like government reporting instead of newspaper editing.

I was looking for an article about a bare!!!

Guest Guest

The fact that your posting this on here just tells me one thing, YOU NEED TO GET A FREAKING LIFE MORON!

Guest Guest

Maybe it the guys name.........who knows!!!

Guest Guest

If you call much better coverage of Kearny, editorials that are on the money, and more honest, hard working journalism going down hill declining, I'd simply have to disagree. Their overall coverage hasn't been this good in a long while.

Guest 10th grader

Oh WOW, they made a typo. I've seen typos in the NY Times. , But I'm sure you've never made one, you creep.

Guest Joe Noone

Grizzly is an acceptable variant of grisly, It's more of a eye grap headline with the double z

Guest Guest
Oh WOW, they made a typo.  I've seen typos in the NY Times.  , But I'm sure you've never made one, you creep.

Do know what is meant by typo? That wasn't a typo. I don't care about the mistake but it wasn't a typo.

Guest skeeter

actually, as an alumni of the English/Journalism program at <_< Fairfield University and a former proofreader at the Times, I'd have to disagree.

"Grizzly" would never be used in place of "Grisly." Newspaper and magazine writers are taught in journalism school to always use the preferred version of words and never the variant. Like "Traveled" with one 'L,' even when two 'Ls' are acceptable in a variant version. "Grizzly" would have been changed by an editor at any newspaper. Except The Observer.

Guest Pull
actually, as an alumni of the English/Journalism program at  :D Fairfield University and a former proofreader at the Times, I'd have to disagree.

"Grizzly" would never be used in place of "Grisly." Newspaper and magazine writers are taught in journalism school to always use the preferred version of words and never the variant. Like "Traveled" with one 'L,' even when two 'Ls' are acceptable in a variant version.  "Grizzly" would have been changed by an editor at any newspaper. Except The Observer.

Most editors who knit pick the reporters on variants are always out of work :lol:

Guest guest

Either way we look at it The Observer stinks. It never gets anything right. This week it was a jump...next week it will be something else. Last year Lisa Pezzolla got caught by the New York Daily News plagiarizing her column. She still continues to do it also.

Guest guest

The Observer will always stink. It is not this editor's fault that his publisher was caught last year by the New York Daily News :D plagiarizing and was the laughing stock of the town. It is not his fault he can't spell or get jumps right. He is in an impossible situation. Also, his grammar is awful. I always thought The Observer was "The Observer" not "the Observer." Also firefighter is one word, which they often screw up. http://www.thismayhurt.com/corantonews/new...ve-4-2005.shtml

Guest Studies
Either way we look at it The Observer stinks.  It never gets anything right.  This week it was a jump...next week it will be something else.  Last year Lisa Pezzolla got caught by the New York Daily News plagiarizing her column.  She still continues to do it also.

There are TONS of problems with the Slobserver, how many times has a story from the front page been half lost because the "Continued on page 3" is just never printed?? Then one of my Favorites recently was Lisa's "Editorial" on the Hackensack Bridge Accident. Her comments that the state needed to step in and install something that would physically prevent something like that from happening proved that she never even bothered to read the articles in her own bloody paper, since EVERY one pointed out that the Crash barrier WAS there, but had been inoperative because DOT was too cheap to fix it. Lets not forget either their "Street Observer" page..aside from the pretty inane questions asked, do they PURPOSELY search out every mouth breather in the area to put there?? Oh yes!!!! My Latest favorite was "Scruff", whom, from his posts, I take to be the NEW Editor posting on NJ.com about how the Kearny PD won't give him any quotes, and how they arent Fair..perhaps KPD wont talk to him because the paper he works for is considered not even fit to line the catbox with?? The Observer has been a joke for years, and i DONT See anything changing in it's future

Guest KearnyKard
You never can put it any better.

You psudo- intellectuals make me laugh. You criticize a free newspapers for a typo ?? Can there be nothing more important in your pathetic lives than that ?? You all must be a lot of fun to hang with.

Guest Guest
You psudo- intellectuals make me laugh. You criticize a free newspapers for a typo ?? Can there be nothing more important in your pathetic lives than that ??  You all must be a lot of fun to hang with.

"psudo", what an ass!!! <_<

It's not a typo you moron, they used the word incorrectly.

Guest Guest

Mayor, is that you? IS that you nitpicking now that the newspaper actually calls into question your silly moves? What better way to operate than to attempt to discredit the newspaper that clearly isn't allowing you to get away with your crap anymore.

Guest Guest
You psudo- intellectuals make me laugh. You criticize a free newspapers for a typo ?? Can there be nothing more important in your pathetic lives than that ??  You all must be a lot of fun to hang with.

Ok fine, they get a pass on that typo..out of hundreds, what about the plagerism charge though??? Remember that "Free" newspaper you're defending is always touting itself is the bastion of free speach, and frankly, free or not, they accept money from advetisers, nor are they non-profit, one would think that the so-called "Journalists" would have enough pride in their product to make sure it's done correctly.

Guest satinbabe

look carefully everybody. The above posts from Observer staff contain some pretty horrendous mistakes: Knit pick (lol) and psudo (rofl)... We know Lisa didn't finish high school, but the rest of you -- what are your excuses?

Guest KOTW posers
If you call much better coverage of Kearny, editorials that are on the money, and more honest, hard working journalism going down hill declining, I'd simply have to disagree. Their overall coverage hasn't been this good in a long while.

Oh, do you mean as compared to the days when there were pages filled with Boy Scout jamboree photos, or "St. Stephen's school announces Civies Day" lay outs?

Please...this paper is in bad shape. Let's not kid ourselves here.

I noticed you didn't dare to comment on Lisa Pezolla's gripping weekly column.

Now if that isn't a joke, I don't know what is. Aside from the plagiarism issue, she seems slightly limited, in a cognitive, maybe even took some special ed. classes, kind of way. There's nothing wrong with that, however, as a publisher of a community newspaper she should know better that that and it's really not appropriate. Which is why she has built up such bad publicity for herself. Her lack of insight is really what's driving the substandard quality of this newspaper.

As far as her column is concerned, I really don't feel the need to read about her child-like, almost idiotic perspective on topics ranging from national and religious holidays, to current events, or to her views on social and political issues. I mean save it, and spare us, the readers from the stupidity.

I get a headache every time i read this newspaper. And I think the phoniness of The Observer groupies needs to stop.

Guest Guest
Oh, do you mean as compared to the days when there were pages filled with Boy Scout jamboree photos, or "St. Stephen's school announces Civies Day" lay outs?

Now if that isn't a joke, I don't know what is. Aside from the plagiarism issue, she seems slightly limited, in a cognitive, maybe even took some special ed. classes, kind of way. There's nothing wrong with that, however, as a publisher of a community newspaper she should know better that that and it's really not appropriate. Which is why she has built up such bad publicity for herself. Her lack of insight is really what's driving the substandard quality of this newspaper.

As far as her column is concerned, I really don't feel the need to read about her child-like, almost idiotic perspective on topics ranging from national and religious holidays, to current events, or to her views on social and political issues. I mean save it, and spare us, the readers from the stupidity.

I get a headache every time i read this newspaper. And I think the phoniness of The Observer groupies needs to stop.

So you read the newspaper and get a headache every week do you. :-)

Guest 2smart4u

All this vitriolic ranting over a free newspaper ?? If it gives you a headache, don't read it. If it doesn't rise to your journalistic standards, again, don't read it. If you have the time to type these long-winded dissertations, why don't you spend that time writing on a topic that has some meaning.

Archived