kearny ambulance

Guest ja

i was involved in a car accident this summer of 2007 and was provided service from the kearny ambulance.i would like to say that the service was definitley lacking .i had complained about my neck and they did not secure it .all they did was give me a lift to clara maas and left me in the lobby.i suffered permanent injuries from this accident and think this ambulance service needs some retraining. they charged my insurance over 500 dollars just for that ride.they need to snap out of that negative attitude that they projected that day and start providing the citizens of kearny with the service that they deserve.

i was involved in a car accident this summer of 2007 and was provided service from the kearny ambulance.i would like to say that the service was definitley lacking .i had complained about my neck and they did not secure it .all they did was give me a lift to clara maas and left me in the lobby.i suffered permanent injuries from this accident and think this ambulance service needs some retraining. they charged my insurance over 500 dollars just for that ride.they need to snap out of that negative attitude that they projected that day and start providing the citizens of kearny with the service that they deserve.

76639[/snapback]

So all you got was a very expensive cab ride.

76639[/snapback]

If you feel that strongly about the poor care and service you recieved that day you could lodge a formal complaint with the new jersey state dept of health office of emergency medical services preferably by mail but by phone as well and they will look into it and if warranted will take the apropriate diciplinary action

Guest Kearny Senior
If you feel that strongly about the poor care and service you recieved that day you could lodge a formal complaint  with the new jersey state dept of health office of emergency medical services  preferably by mail but by phone as well  and they will look into it and if warranted will take the apropriate diciplinary action

76764[/snapback]

Having researched this issue of municipal EMS, I can say that the most

efficient way of handling this is giving the responsibility to the fire dept.

It's not by accident that throughout the U.S. fire dept's run the EMS. It's been

shown in study after study that on-duty fire personnel respond more quickly

and efficiently than any other form of service. I don't know why Kearny

does not use the fire dept for this very important municipal service where

minutes can mean the difference between life and death. I can only hope

the the mayor will come to understand Kearny needs an efficient and

dependable EMS.

Having researched this issue of municipal EMS, I can say that the most

efficient way of handling this is giving the responsibility to the fire dept.

It's not by accident that throughout the U.S. fire dept's run the EMS. It's been

shown in study after study that on-duty fire personnel respond more quickly

and efficiently than any other form of service. I don't know why Kearny

does not use the fire dept for this very important municipal service where

minutes can mean the difference between life and death. I can only hope

the the mayor will come to understand Kearny needs an efficient and

dependable EMS.

76792[/snapback]

I guess we can't do that now. The Mayor and Council are looking to permanently lower the table of organization within the FD by 12; it wouldn't seem likely that you can get a better service when manpower is lowered, AND you hand them another job.

I guess we can't do that now.  The Mayor and Council are looking to permanently lower the table of organization within the FD by 12; it wouldn't seem likely that you can get a better service when manpower is lowered, AND you hand them another job.

77043[/snapback]

my thoughts exactly.......apparently to the mayor and coucil emergency services(fire, police and ems) are not even close to the middle of their priorities, nevermind the top

• 2 months later...
Guest What a shame

IT IS A SHAME THAT KEARNY AMBULACE HAS TURNED OUT THIS WAY.

WHEN IT WAS TAKEN OVER IN 2004.THE PERSONS IN CONTROL .

DECIDED TO GET RID OF ALL THE PERSONAL WHO CARED ABOUT THE RESIDENT'S OF KEARNY.

PERSONAL WHO TOOK PRIDE IN PATIENT CARE.IT SEEMS TO BE ALL ABOUT THE MONEY THEN IT IS ABOUT THE PEOPLE WHO DEPEND ON PROPER SERVICE AND TIMELY RESPONSE.

I NO LONGER LIVE IN KEANY . THANKGOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

MOVING TO A TOWN THAT USES A PAGER SYSTEM IS BETTER THEN WHAT KEARNY COULD EVER AMOUNT TO

KEARNY IS ALL ABOUT NEPITISIM. SHOW THEM THE MONEY

Guest Modern Human
IT IS A SHAME THAT KEARNY AMBULACE HAS TURNED OUT THIS WAY.

WHEN IT WAS TAKEN OVER IN 2004.THE PERSONS IN CONTROL .

DECIDED TO GET RID OF ALL THE PERSONAL WHO CARED ABOUT THE RESIDENT'S OF KEARNY.

PERSONAL WHO TOOK PRIDE IN PATIENT CARE.IT SEEMS TO BE ALL ABOUT THE MONEY THEN IT IS ABOUT THE PEOPLE WHO DEPEND ON PROPER SERVICE AND TIMELY RESPONSE.

I NO LONGER LIVE IN KEANY . THANKGOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

MOVING TO A TOWN THAT USES A PAGER SYSTEM IS BETTER THEN WHAT KEARNY COULD EVER AMOUNT TO

KEARNY IS ALL ABOUT NEPITISIM. SHOW THEM THE MONEY

Why is it that all of these types of complaints read like that of illiterate, screaming neanderthals? There isn't a single sentence up there that doesn't have mistakes in it:

"Personal" instead of "personnel".

"Resident's" instead of "residents".

"Keany" instead of "Kearny". (the name of the freaking town, even!)

"Nepitism" instead of "nepotism".

As well as roaming and/or missing puncutation and several sentence fragments; "The persons in control" is not a sentence, you idiot.

Do you honestly expect to be taken seriously? Your ability to even construct sentences pales in comparison to the average grade schooler.

I can almost see your knuckles dragging, for crying out loud. You ought to be ashamed of yourself.

Why is it that all of these types of complaints read like that of illiterate, screaming neanderthals? There isn't a single sentence up there that doesn't have mistakes in it:

"Personal" instead of "personnel".

"Resident's" instead of "residents".

"Keany" instead of "Kearny". (the name of the freaking town, even!)

"Nepitism" instead of "nepotism".

As well as roaming and/or missing puncutation and several sentence fragments; "The persons in control" is not a sentence, you idiot.

Do you honestly expect to be taken seriously? Your ability to even construct sentences pales in comparison to the average grade schooler.

I can almost see your knuckles dragging, for crying out loud. You ought to be ashamed of yourself.

You ought to be ashamed of yourself. Everyone has a right to speak. Right or wrong! I think their right and you are wrong!

You ought to be ashamed of yourself.

How DARE I criticize someone for making a slew of mistakes a grown adult has no business making! GASP!

Everyone has a right to speak. Right or wrong!

And I have the right to ignore the uneducated buffoons like that guy. If a person won't take the time to learn BASIC GRAMMAR AND SPELLING, things they teach in GRADE SCHOOL, what makes you think they would take the significantly larger time and effort to thoroughly analyze a situation like this and form an educated opinion?

I think their right and you are wrong!

The word is "they're", stupid, not "their". You know, short for "they are"? "Their" is for possession, and "there" is for location. I learned this stuff in third grade. What's your excuse? Didn't make it that far?

You're (note: not "your") now in the same boat as the guy you're (note: not "your") defending, congratulations. See above for why I don't take people like that seriously.

• 2 weeks later...

After reading the posts here it sounds to me like some of the complainers on here and the other Kearny EMS topics on KOTW are former workers from the service who were let go by the EMS Chief for reasons unknown to most of us. Not all of the posts are like this but if I were to judge by the content of some of the posts, it sure sounds like it.

While I certainly don't condone improper care or long response times, I have not found their service to be much different from others in the area that I have dealt over the years. If patient care is the issue, call or write and complain to the Chief of Kearny EMS so he can act upon it or call the Police or Fire Chief and let them know so they can approach the EMS Chief about it and address it. If that doesn't satisfy you, a suggestion was made in another post to take your issue to the NJ State Office of Emergency Medical Services and file a complaint. They will investigate it for validity and take corrective actions if warranted.

EMS in Kearny is busy and even if the FD takes the service, the "turn around response from Clara Maass" problem will not go away. Even with 2 ambulances on the road (Kearny EMS has 2 on 12 hours a day 7 days a week, I don't know the hours) this will continue happen and they will either continue to call for out of town ambulances or wait until one of the Kearny ambulances becomes available regardless if it says Kearny EMS or Kearny FD on the side. The First Responder program with the FD was designed in part to help deal with this issue and has worked well but the call volume (among other reasons) will still help dictate how the responses will go. There will only be so many ambulances available in Kearny regardless who runs it.

Most anyone who has been to the Clara Maass Emergency Room since they closed West Hudson Hospital should know how busy the place is now and beds are scarce, especially during the day. Changing the EMS provider will not magically alter this and we can thank St. Barnabas for that. Now, if you all read the paper in the past few weeks, Columbus Hospital (and also St. James in Ironbound, Newark) is also going to close and that will be putting even more strain on Clara Maass for space making the delay even more likely. Thank you Cathedral Health Care and again St. Barnabas.

A basic understanding of how the system works appears to be lacking in Kearny as a whole. Why not address your concerns to people that can answer your questions or correct the problems. Speak to your Council person(s), call Kearny EMS or stop by or call the Kearny FD or PD and speak to the Chief's. If you want to know how the service/system works or why things are done a certain way, why not speak to the EMS Chief and ask. While I'm sure there will be those who doubt what he may say ("he's just covering his butt", etc.) I don't see the harm in asking. Don't just complain on here. It's just that, complaining.

The point of all this is to hopefully have those people that have real problems with the EMS service in Kearny address those problems to those who can resolve them. Some of the problems are part of a larger issue that is out of the control of the Town of Kearny Emergency Services (hospital crowding/closings/location). While addressing them on here may make for fun reading for some, it will not resolve the problems.

• 6 months later...
Guest Just thinking

I accidentally came upon this site while i was surfing the web for articles pertaining to advances in the EMS field. While I'm relatively new to the EMS field myself and have very little contact with Kearny's EMS, I have to say that there ae several things not being taken into consideration here.

First of all if the previous blogger was correct in his information about Kearny having only two ambulances in service at a time, then there in lies a major problem. Kearny has a population of 38,771 people within it and a projected growth rate of 16%, according to IDcide. The popuation of the town I ride in is 12,300 and we have 3 rigs, a first responder's car, and a rescue truck and we still need to mutual aid on certain days. The difference is overwhelming especially when you consider that Kearny is an urban setting where it is more likely for injuries to occur. Although I don't know the exact reason for Kearny only having two ambulances out, my guess would be that there is not enough funding for the EMS.

Secondly in regards to the comment made about the pagar system. Kearny is a paid service due to the area. A pagar service is mainly for volunteer squads. Paid and volunteer services are two entirely different worlds. Now before you ask why don't we switch to a volunteer squad, I have to say that it would be entirely impractical and that the response would probably be even worse.

Another thing that was really brothering me is that the blame can't be entirely on the EMS. Like it or not, the EMS aren't the first responders or even the first people on scene. The difference between a life and death outcome is usually in the first few minutes, before EMS has had a chance to dispatch. The difference is the people who are around you at the time. This is why I strongly advocated every person taking a CPR and basic first aid course. In addition, although the PD are trained, I have heard of incidents when they don't provide the care they should.

Lastly, being a professional EMT is a hard life. You see all the bad stuff in life. You see death often and encounter more than one disturbing scene. It often lacks gratitude. It exposes to every possible disease. It puts you in dangerous positions with dangerous people. I puts you into contact with the distraught parents (a lot worse than it sounds). They are on for long periods of time and at odd times. They burn out quickly and the rest of their lives suffer (EMTs have the second highest divorce rate). They injure themselves often on the job and that's why most paid services are run "city style" (being walked to a stretcher or being told to simply not to move). So it might be nice, for a change to hear something nice from their patients.

Believe it or not, the Kearny EMS is widely regarded as a good paid ambulance service. Whether or not the EMTs you got were just out of the ordinary or the call came over incorrectly or if you yourself didn't give them adequate information, accidents do happen. You can sue the EMTs for the permanaent injuries you have suffered and take it to court. Although I must be honest the success rate for this is very low and as long as their paperwork is in order and they are not found to have done something grossly negligent, you will not win.

I hope this helps out.

Just Thinking..you are correct in some aspects, but Incorrect in others. Kearny HAD a Volunteer Ambulance. They were unable to maintain coverage, which led to the Town entering into an emergency contract with EMTAC for a number of months. the remnant's of KVERS (Kearny Volunteer Emergency/Rescue Squad) reformed themselves into KEMS (Kearny Emergency Medical Services) uder Harry McNeil and bid for the contract along with EMTAC, MCCabe, and one other service, which i cant rcall at the moment. KEMS won the bid. That said there are several errors in your Post.

#1 KEMS usually only has ONE Ambulance in service at any given time..if a second one is needed Mr MCNeil and his Wife take the second call, or whoever they can scrounge up on short notice.

#2 the PD are NOT trained beyond whatever initial training they got in the academy, ZERO followup with any certifications, and ZERO Equipment in the cars. The Cops are NOT EMT's in the majority of cases (Several do maintain their certs because of sepcialized assignemtns) and in most acses have been told for liability reasons that they are not to take any action (Except in extreme circumstances) before the Ambulance or fire dept gets there.

#3 Semi-urban or not, Kearny is NOT NEwark, Jersey City, or Irvington..KEMS does not see a quarter of the things that those EMS services do, to even put them in the same category is an insult to the EMT's who do ACTUAL Urban EMS work.

#4 Who exactly regards KEMS as "a good paid ambulance service" ?? if that was the case their turnover rate would not be as high as it is, and people would be staying for a long term, instead of a lear or two tops. yes there are people that have been there from the beginning..but those are also the ones who have roots in the old KVERS. Every Professional EMS person i've encountered sees KEMS, and it's ********** as a Joke, and a dumping ground for people who couldnt hack it in a busy service.